Saddam Hussein sentenced to death

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:24 am
Location: ...Chicago? (I wish)

Post by Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:55 pm

Starscream wrote:I don't understand why it's OK to personally celebrate someone's execution, but if the media were to cover it - and no one is even sure that it's going to BE as much of a "debacle" as the OJ Simpson situation was - the world is a "terrible place" and our media "a joke".
Tiffu-sama stole one of my points I was about to make right out from under my nose, but I still have a few other things to say. (numbered for own good again.)
1. When I said that our media is a joke I was referring to how the media will sometimes dramatize things to the extent where people don't even take it seriously anymore. So not exactly the same point Tiffu made ne?
2. When did I, or anyone else say or imply that because the media has covered this story, the world is a "terrible place"? That just confuses me. 0_o I'm just sad that the media will treat the more serious stories this way...perhaps I didn't make that clear...
Congratulations to the lucky winners of the Winter banner contest!=D Better luck on Valentines day to those who weren''t so lucky! ^_~*

We walk in the garden of his turbulence!!! =D- Geoffery Chaucer, A Knights Tale

Nehelenia, one for all. -Teh sloganize website. XDD
(\__/)
(+"."+)
(")_(") Help Bunny gain world domination.

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:03 pm

Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl wrote: 2. When did I, or anyone else say or imply that because the media has covered this story, the world is a "terrible place"? That just confuses me. 0_o I'm just sad that the media will treat the more serious stories this way...perhaps I didn't make that clear...
^^; I don't think he was speaking directly to someone on here, or speaking so literally. I think he was speaking more in a general sense about people in general.

If I'm wrong, Starscream, feel free to correct me.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 1545
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Post by Starscream » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:08 pm

Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl wrote:
Starscream wrote:I don't understand why it's OK to personally celebrate someone's execution, but if the media were to cover it - and no one is even sure that it's going to BE as much of a "debacle" as the OJ Simpson situation was - the world is a "terrible place" and our media "a joke".
Tiffu-sama stole one of my points I was about to make right out from under my nose, but I still have a few other things to say. (numbered for own good again.)
1. When I said that our media is a joke I was referring to how the media will sometimes dramatize things to the extent where people don't even take it seriously anymore. So not exactly the same point Tiffu made ne?
I'll take my generalizations back, then. I totally misread the situation.
2. When did I, or anyone else say or imply that because the media has covered this story, the world is a "terrible place"? That just confuses me. 0_o I'm just sad that the media will treat the more serious stories this way...perhaps I didn't make that clear...
I was referencing the following:
...another reason why I'm sad to be alive in today's world
.

Again, if you were being joking/sarcastic, I totally missed it :/
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

User avatar
peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:16 pm
Location: B.C. Canada
Contact:

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:53 pm

$5 says the footage gets uploaded to youtube.

By 1500 different people.

'Cause God forbid half the users on youtube upload something original instead of the same damn thing over and over -_-.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

User avatar
Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 2:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati Ohio

Post by Rin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:07 pm

I only hope they just do it and get it done with. One of the things that I hate about the death penalty is that they keep these people on death row for twenty years and keep taking the cases back to court. It seems more cruel to have them on death row for all those years rather than just execute them right then and there.

But then I guess I shouldn't worry about how cruel we are to Saddam.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

User avatar
Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: The City

Post by Kameko » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:58 pm

Rin wrote:One of the things that I hate about the death penalty is that they keep these people on death row for twenty years and keep taking the cases back to court.
The criminals are the ones that keep bringing the cases back to court keeping them on death row for twenty years.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

User avatar
Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:24 am
Location: ...Chicago? (I wish)

Post by Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:26 am

Starscream wrote:
Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl wrote:
Starscream wrote:I don't understand why it's OK to personally celebrate someone's execution, but if the media were to cover it - and no one is even sure that it's going to BE as much of a "debacle" as the OJ Simpson situation was - the world is a "terrible place" and our media "a joke".
Tiffu-sama stole one of my points I was about to make right out from under my nose, but I still have a few other things to say. (numbered for own good again.)
1. When I said that our media is a joke I was referring to how the media will sometimes dramatize things to the extent where people don't even take it seriously anymore. So not exactly the same point Tiffu made ne?
I'll take my generalizations back, then. I totally misread the situation.
2. When did I, or anyone else say or imply that because the media has covered this story, the world is a "terrible place"? That just confuses me. 0_o I'm just sad that the media will treat the more serious stories this way...perhaps I didn't make that clear...
I was referencing the following:
...another reason why I'm sad to be alive in today's world
.

Again, if you were being joking/sarcastic, I totally missed it :/
[offtopic]^^;; ah gomen... I'll try to make my sarcasm more clear in the future. I've always been good at detecting sarcasm even in writng and I forget that some people can totally miss that.[/offtopic] http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... attr=World
Saddam will be hanged 'by end-January' - World - Times Online
I sure hope what they say is true about this.
Congratulations to the lucky winners of the Winter banner contest!=D Better luck on Valentines day to those who weren''t so lucky! ^_~*

We walk in the garden of his turbulence!!! =D- Geoffery Chaucer, A Knights Tale

Nehelenia, one for all. -Teh sloganize website. XDD
(\__/)
(+"."+)
(")_(") Help Bunny gain world domination.

User avatar
Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1775
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:08 pm
Location: KCMO
Contact:

Post by Neon Heart » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:17 am

peachvampiress wrote:$5 says the footage gets uploaded to youtube.

By 1500 different people.

'Cause God forbid half the users on youtube upload something original instead of the same damn thing over and over -_-.

I'll add an extra $10 if they add "PWNED" to the end of the clip.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado


^ ^ ^ ROFL

User avatar
Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by Sailorasteroid » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:16 am

The Iraqi PM is saying he hopes to get the hanging done by year's end. His opponents are saying that it would be next year, so there's definitely not going to be a 20-year appeals process.

Between the swift justice in Iraq and the Democratic takeover of the US HR, I might be packing for Baghdad soon. Seems nicer there.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

490

User avatar
Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 1545
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Post by Starscream » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:54 am

Sailorasteroid wrote:The Iraqi PM is saying he hopes to get the hanging done by year's end. His opponents are saying that it would be next year, so there's definitely not going to be a 20-year appeals process.

Between the swift justice in Iraq and the Democratic takeover of the US HR, I might be packing for Baghdad soon. Seems nicer there.
Good luck with all the bombings there.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

User avatar
SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:39 pm
Location: Color Red
Contact:

Post by SeiUsa » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:23 pm

Well...I hope he's [not] enjoying the after-life.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

User avatar
yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1677
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:24 pm

Well... i'm mixed about this. Overall, I think is going to be negative, but we know that he will be made a martyr by the insurgency...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

User avatar
Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:25 pm

Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:43 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:Well... i'm mixed about this. Overall, I think is going to be negative, but we know that he will be made a martyr by the insurgency...
Uh, I doubt it? Saddam ran a secular regime that despised religious fanatics. The only people who will miss him are Ba'ath Party loyalists.

Anyway, I think our fascination with this man is sort of misplaced. His life and his death are both unfortunate events. The reports that people (the executioner and others) danced around his hanging corpse are sickening.

User avatar
Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 2:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati Ohio

Post by Rin » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:36 am

All I can say is it's about time.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

User avatar
Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:43 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA.
Contact:

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:42 pm

Jeff wrote: The reports that people (the executioner and others) danced around his hanging corpse are sickening.
What sickens me is all those people saying that if you don't support the death penalty, then you're showing disrespect to all the people that died because of Saddam. Yeah, I'm sure that them praying to God to seek revenge against Saddam makes them any better than him, too. :roll:
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:15 pm

Jeff wrote:
Anyway, I think our fascination with this man is sort of misplaced. His life and his death are both unfortunate events. The reports that
people (the executioner and others) danced around his hanging corpse are sickening.
*shrugs* If you're expecting sympathy for this guy from me, you're certainly not going to get it. No, I wouldn't dance around his corpse, but I honestly can't blame others for being thrilled that he's dead .He did some pretty evil deeds, after all.

Besides, I can relate. I can think of at least one person in the world whose death i would honestly celebrate.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:08 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:07 am

When someone royally effs up your life and the lives of everyone you love and care about, I'm sure you'd act in a similar manner. We as american can't relate because we've never been in a situation or an environment like that.

Mousolini's death (forgive my spelling) in Italy after WWII comes to mind. The hung him in a town square and then let the townspeople completely mutilate and destroy his body. Seems gruesome, but I think to the italians who had been through so much for so many years felt differently.

Basically what I have to say is, not to anyone in specific on the boards, but to Americans in general, you're spoiled. Hell, I'm spoiled too, I'm an american. We enjoy such a cush life compared to the rest of the world. We can't expect people to act the same way we do when live in a completely different culture and environment, and it's wrong of us to look down on them because we're spoiled.

That's my two cents. =x

TBA

User avatar
SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:39 pm
Location: Color Red
Contact:

Post by SeiUsa » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:45 am

AnimeGuru0 wrote:When someone royally effs up your life and the lives of everyone you love and care about, I'm sure you'd act in a similar manner. We as american can't relate because we've never been in a situation or an environment like that.

Mousolini's death (forgive my spelling) in Italy after WWII comes to mind. The hung him in a town square and then let the townspeople completely mutilate and destroy his body. Seems gruesome, but I think to the italians who had been through so much for so many years felt differently.

Basically what I have to say is, not to anyone in specific on the boards, but to Americans in general, you're spoiled. Hell, I'm spoiled too, I'm an american. We enjoy such a cush life compared to the rest of the world. We can't expect people to act the same way we do when live in a completely different culture and environment, and it's wrong of us to look down on them because we're spoiled.

That's my two cents. =x
*nod* Well-said.
And there will be more people like that, guarantee it.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

User avatar
Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:13 am
Location: TN
Contact:

Post by Tempest » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:55 am

AnimeGuru0 wrote:When someone royally effs up your life and the lives of everyone you love and care about, I'm sure you'd act in a similar manner. We as American can't relate because we've never been in a situation or an environment like that.

Mussolini's death (forgive my spelling) in Italy after WWII comes to mind. The hung him in a town square and then let the townspeople completely mutilate and destroy his body. Seems gruesome, but I think to the Italians who had been through so much for so many years felt differently.

Basically what I have to say is, not to anyone in specific on the boards, but to Americans in general, you're spoiled. Hell, I'm spoiled too, I'm an American. We enjoy such a cushy life compared to the rest of the world. We can't expect people to act the same way we do when live in a completely different culture and environment, and it's wrong of us to look down on them because we're spoiled.

That's my two cents. =x
Very well said. I completely agree.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

User avatar
Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:49 am

Post by Aya Reiko » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:18 am

In related news...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070101/ap_ ... can_deaths

Just before the year ends, the 3000th American GI has lost their life.
And in this December, 111 U.S. soldiers died, making it the bloodiest month in over two years.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Locked