Annoying things about your fav. reads

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Annoying things about your fav. reads

Post by Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:32 pm

We all have books we know and love, but there are always things in them that get on our nerves. What are yours?
Mine:

Wicked:The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.

-- Macguire doesn't answer half of the questions he brings up. He answers more like a quarter. I think it would have been nice if he had answered 75% of the questions he brings up. Then the story would have been more fleshed out, but we would still have SOME questions to think/theorize about.
-- We only view Elphaba's thoughts in passing. We learn things about her mainly through other character's thoughts/feelings about her. While it's true that we learn alot about her, it would have been nice to learn more about HER OWN perspective on her life.
-- The Philosophy club scene, I wouldn't have minded if it served purpose to the story other than [spoiler]Tibbett going insane[/spoiler]. There was a very excellent explanation of the Philosophy club scene on another forum...I'll have to find it and link it as soon as possible.

What do you guys have? :D
Congratulations to the lucky winners of the Winter banner contest!=D Better luck on Valentines day to those who weren''t so lucky! ^_~*

We walk in the garden of his turbulence!!! =D- Geoffery Chaucer, A Knights Tale

Nehelenia, one for all. -Teh sloganize website. XDD
(\__/)
(+"."+)
(")_(") Help Bunny gain world domination.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Re: Annoying things about your fav. reads

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:25 pm

Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl wrote: -- We only view Elphaba's thoughts in passing. We learn things about her mainly through other character's thoughts/feelings about her. While it's true that we learn alot about her, it would have been nice to learn more about HER OWN perspective on her life.
-- The Philosophy club scene, I wouldn't have minded if it served purpose to the story other than [spoiler]Tibbett going insane[/spoiler]. There was a very excellent explanation of the Philosophy club scene on another forum...I'll have to find it and link it as soon as possible.

What do you guys have? :D
To quote Maguire from the lyrics booklet included with the soundtrack to the Wicked musical, "I set out to tell her story from beginning to end. I wanted not so much to explain the Wicked Witch of the West as to deepen her mystery. Yes, I disclosed her reasons for wanting the shoes that had belonged to her sister. But I could not account for the Witch's passion, nor did I want to: I merely wanted to heighten it." And also[spoiler]there is a theory I read that Elphaba could've been the other woman in the Philosophy Club scene and that could've been where Elphaba lost her virginity because later in the book Avaric insists that he saw Elphaba at the club but she repeatedly denies it, but earlier in the book when they travel to visit Glinda after receiving the fake letter Glinda's friends wrote, Avaric starts talking about the Philosophy club and Boq at first thinks that they shouldn't talk about it around Elphaba because he thought it would've been rude, but he comments that Elphaba didn't have any reaction when Avaric brought up the club, possibly hinting that she had been there before, but this is just a theory.[/spoiler]

On a related note, it annoyed me how Maguire ended Son Of A Witch on a cliffhanger. With Wicked even though he left a lot of questions unanswered, there was at least a sense of conclusion but with Son Of A Witch there just feels like more should be told. Like, [spoiler]what happened to Candle and Trism, why she abandoned their baby, what happens to Shell after Liir's campgain against him, and where the hell Nor is [/spoiler], but then it just ends so suddenly. I'm hoping there'll be a third book to wrap up all these loose ends but there's nothing more I can't stand than cliffhangers. I also couldn't stand how Stephen King went into so much excessive detail about the townsfolk in Salem's Lot. I mean, it's one thing to develop your characters, but it's another to go into excessive detail. He goes into so much useless detail about the lives of the townsfolk when only about half of the characters he goes into detail about are actually relevant to the plot and the other half is unimportant and most of the details he explains are useless to the story. Is it really all that important to explain in excessive detail why the town is called Jersualem's Lot? Can't we just say that's what it's called and leave it at that? And during this time where he's going into this useless detail, nothing exciting happens nor does anything happen that advances the plot, so it can get annoying.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:48 pm

In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince....Ginny is such a bee-otch. Actually, more like a Mary-Sueish bee-otch. I don’t know, throughout the “romantic” parts I kept thinking JK read far too many fanfics about Ginny turning into a Mary-Sue, and Jo thought, “Well…all righty, if that’s what they like, then I’ll give it to them!” Yes, I know she writes for herself first, but it stills seems that way.

The Face on The Milk Carton series...Reeve kind of annoyed me. Sometimes it felt like I was reading more about him wanting to get laid than the actual milk carton. And in the same series, some of the metaphors were kind of weird-sounding.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Re: Annoying things about your fav. reads

Post by Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:00 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
[spoiler]there is a theory I read that Elphaba could've been the other woman in the Philosophy Club scene and that could've been where Elphaba lost her virginity because later in the book Avaric insists that he saw Elphaba at the club but she repeatedly denies it, but earlier in the book when they travel to visit Glinda after receiving the fake letter Glinda's friends wrote, Avaric starts talking about the Philosophy club and Boq at first thinks that they shouldn't talk about it around Elphaba because he thought it would've been rude, but he comments that Elphaba didn't have any reaction when Avaric brought up the club, possibly hinting that she had been there before, but this is just a theory.[/spoiler]
[off topic]Interesting theory. That is one of the possiblities I considered pertaining to why the Philosophy club scene was even in the book. Here's another theory. http://www.gregorymaguire.com/discussio ... 00120.html
The Mystery of the Philosophy Club - Gregory Maguire Discussion Board [/off topic] (if you want to continue this discussion, do it via PMs so this thread doesn't turn into a place for discussing that scene. Thanks. ;) SeiUsa, you just reminded me of Harry Potter book 2. Thank you. In truth, I was very annoyed with the whole concept of this book. I didn't like how much they focused on Ginny, instead of the (dumdumdum) MAIN CHARACTERS!! And the possesion thing seemed VERY overused...it was just...boring. Other than that, I like Harry Potter all right. XD
Congratulations to the lucky winners of the Winter banner contest!=D Better luck on Valentines day to those who weren''t so lucky! ^_~*

We walk in the garden of his turbulence!!! =D- Geoffery Chaucer, A Knights Tale

Nehelenia, one for all. -Teh sloganize website. XDD
(\__/)
(+"."+)
(")_(") Help Bunny gain world domination.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:37 pm

Lex in the Jurassic Park novel. In the movie she's a pretty normal pre-teen, but in the novel she's an uber-irritating six year old. I mean really irritating, in that she never shuts up, continously acts like a whiny brat (yeah I know she's being chased by killer dinosaurs, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have shut the hell up when appropriate), and never stops bothering her brother and Dr. Grant. The entire time I was reading it, I kept hoping that she would get killed, but alas no.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:07 am

I loved the book Go Ask Alice, and the "real" diaries that followed. [spoiler]But the characters in those other diaires started to get a little annoying, and all sounded far too much alike, both in personality and writing style. So, yeah...I kind of lost my faith in those kinds of books.[/spoiler]
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:54 am

SeiUsa wrote:I loved the book Go Ask Alice, and the "real" diaries that followed. [spoiler]But the characters in those other diaires started to get a little annoying, and all sounded far too much alike, both in personality and writing style. So, yeah...I kind of lost my faith in those kinds of books.[/spoiler]
I liked Go Ask Alice, but found it too heavy-handed. Especially the sequence when the Diarist is too far gone to recall the date. How, pray tell, would she have been able to write legibly if she couldn't recall the date?
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:16 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:
I liked Go Ask Alice, but found it too heavy-handed. Especially the sequence when the Diarist is too far gone to recall the date. How, pray tell, would she have been able to write legibly if she couldn't recall the date?
The ability to use fine motor skills and the ability to remember things don't necessarily go hand in hand. It could very well be that the drugs affected her ability to remember things, or to be aware exactly of where/when she was, what was going on around her, but did NOT affect her ability to write.

for example..marijuana affects memory greatly...but it doesn't necessarily affect a person's ability to DO things.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:52 pm

Since the story isn't real the drugs didn't really affect her memory. :P

Seiusa: About how those books all sound alike, a quote from Mark Oppenheimer:

I'm going to write a young-adult novel about drug abuse. It's easy. I've read three and think I know how to do it: The narrator must feel oppressed by parents either distant, alcoholic or both; have a "shrink," who does no good whatsoever; get turned on to drugs unsuspectingly; run away from home; descend into prostitution or dealing; and think and write in bad coffee-shop stream-of-consciousness prose. Short, diary-entry chapters should begin or end with references to countercultural artists (Lewis Carroll, Jefferson Airplane, the Buzzcocks). At the end, a minor character assumes the narration to report the death of our previous narrator.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Kameko wrote:Since the story isn't real the drugs didn't really affect her memory. :P

Huh. Well, whaddya know.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/askalice.asp

>< I hate when I believe something is true when it isn't.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:30 am

I Love Beauty: Retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley, but the ending always annoys me no matter how many times i read it. All this time you get sucked into this world and the castle and Beauty's life. Then you get to the end, you think you'll finally get to hear the prince's side of the story and nothing... Just "I erred and this happened to me". I want details man! it's so annoying.