The Batman Thread!

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

The Batman Thread!

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:04 am

Okay, I just had to it; I'm way too darn obsessed with this franchise! Here I thought we could talk about any incarnation of Batman we want to, whether it be TV shows, Movies, comics, ect. So far, this is what I think pretty much all Batman fans agree on:

1. Batman: TAS was well done and a must for Batman fans.
2. Harley Quinn rocks
3. Jervis Tetch is a sexy beast (I'm kidding)

So why don't we get into Batman: TAS first? What were everyone's favorite episodes and who else didn't like the fourth season? Anything else is welcome as well.

Oh, and one more thing:
The penalty for saying Spider Man is better is a fire ant down your pants.
The penalty for for saying the about Superman is getting hit in the face with a trout.
STAGE OUT!!!

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:05 pm

I think Batman: TAS is the the absolute best non-Japanese half-hour cartoon in history. It has a beautiful gothic style of animation, and the plots and characters are at such a high level. The bad guys are not cliches, they are genuine psychopaths who are far scarier than the Bond-villain type ("I will rule the world!").

My favorite is the first Mr. Freeze episode. I talked about it here. Trivium: the man who stopped the experiment on Mr. Freeze's wife, Ferris Boyle, was named for two of the characters in the novel Atlas Shrugged: Floyd Ferris, an evil scientist, and Orren Boyle, an evil businessman.

My second favorite is the one where Batman is attacked, and wakes up as Bruce Wayne with his parents alive, never having become Batman, and engaged to Selena Kyle. Bruce's rage against the false front when he ultimately confronts the fake Batman is unreal.

Also, as far as superheroes go, Batman is one of the best characters. He has no powers other than extreme training. He has a code of ethics and works with the police. To me he's far more interesting than Superman or Spiderman.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:51 pm

I've already talked about the movies in one of the posts. Here are my rankings for the movies:

1. Batman Returns
2. toss-up between Batman (1989) and Batman Begins
4. Batman Forever
5. Batman & Robin

As for the comics, I'm saving up to buy Absolute Dark Knight (which collects Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes Again). I'm currently reading Identity Crisis and Infinite Crisis, which could be one the major turning points in Batman's career.

Moving on to the animated part, I only watched a couple episodes of Batman: TAS. Currently, I'm watching "The Batman". I would consider that series to be the animated equivalent of the "Ultimate Marvel" line of comics.

You may also want to check out my sig below.

One word for it: OUCH!
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:03 pm

While I'm more of a Catwoman fan, I do love the Batman universe. I grew up watching Batman TAS, and I've got the second and third volumes on DVD (the audio commentary on them are hilarious). I even loved watching the old Adam West show when I was a kid.

My favorite bit of the Batman franchise though is the Batman Returns movie. There are so many cool things about it. The music is some of Danny Elfman's best work, it focuses a lot on the villians (I know some fans hated this but I loved it), the visuals, the song by Siouxsie Sioux towards the end and the costumes. *__* Oh God the costumes. I must have watched the costumes feature on the DVD three times now.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:06 pm

B:TAS is just... WOW. I'm collecting the DVDs. ^^

Quinn is just awesome. I wanna see Trial! xD
CATWOMAN. YES, CATWOMAN.
She was soooo awesome and still is! ^__^ I also had this odd fondness for Penguin when I was younger.

I saw a few of the live action movies and remember liking them.
My Art - My LiveJournal

Zeta from Bulbagarden. xD
>>>Lucario learns a move called "Tonbogaeri". This is a move in Judo feauturing a kick to the groin. Yes, they''ve actually made "Kick Him in the Nuts" an attack. It should SO do 150% more damage to male Pokemon. XD