job interviews gone bad

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

job interviews gone bad

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:24 am

We've all had them at least once Im sure.

I was going into an interview for this computer modem assist company. Basically the job was to give phone tech support to people trying to get their modems to work. Ive done the customer service thing for years and can handle people even when they are irate so I figured Id bone up on my modems and kick this interviews butt. Well when I got there the first thing the interviewer told me was "Were not doing modems anymore, we've changed to a credit help service" something I know 0 about so I was unable to answer any of his questions about credit card fraud and all that. Suffice it to say I have not gotten a call from them yet. I was really angry when I left there. I was told by them that they handled modems not credit cards. These are too completely different areas. They made me look like a jackass in that interview by surprising me like that.

So anyone else got any horror stories like this?
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:02 am

One time, about two and a half years ago, I was working with a temp/perm agency, and my contact tells me of a several-week job that has opened up at a plant nursery in Bridgehampton, about an hour away. OK, I head out at 8:30, enter the main building to find it virtually empty. A few people start coming in at a quarter to nine, but no one knows what I'm supposed to be doing. Finally at about 9:30, someone comes over to me and starts giving me the cook's tour. Along the way she's asking me about my work history, my skills, and so on. Eventually we go into an empty conference room, and continue the talk. I keep talking about "what I will be doing" and "where I will be working" and she starts saying things like "where we're thinking of putting you" and finally it dawns on me: I'm not being oriented, I'm being interviewed! There was a miscommunication between the nursery and the employment firm, and I was not being sent there for a temp job. To my credit, I kept my cool and did not let on. The interview concluded moments later, and I headed for home. They didn't make a decision for two weeks later, during which the firm had found me another, permanent job.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!