What would you name your kids?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Elanorea
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:03 pm
Location: Estonia

Post by Elanorea » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:12 pm

I like the name Elen (for a girl), but I'm probably not gonna use it as it will most likely by mistaken for Helen or Ellen 99,9% of the time. I also like the names Morgan and Jade, but I can't very well name my kid that unless I move to an English-speaking country ^^;.

BTW, I checked out that site, and the names were absolutely hilarious! Greenlie? Lourdes Solange? Orchid Willow and Sage Wolfgang? WTF :lol:
Avatar base from DHF.

User avatar
Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Wonderland

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:59 pm

I never plan on having kids, but here's my list of names I'm not fond of (I'm sorry if I offend anyone):

Girls:
Jessica (my real name, and I'm not pleased with how common or the other girls I've met who share it.)

Gretchen (It just sounds gross!)

Emma (It just sounds too simple and hickish)

Tammy

Boys:

Jack

Eddy

Arnold

Also, I think it's sort of dumb to name your kids after book (including the bible)/movie characters. I think it was on "Who wants to be a Millionare?" where some guy has a son with the first name of Luke and the middle name of Skywalker.
STAGE OUT!!!

User avatar
Fruityla
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:12 pm
Location: La La Land

Post by Fruityla » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:47 pm


I don't plan on having kids either as I doubt I could handle it mentally, but it's fun to come up with names you like. So here's my list:

Girls:

Adele (My middle name. So freaking pretty *_*)

Hikaru (Utada Hikaru fan XD)

Misty

Chelsea

Ariel

Ceri (Pronounced Ser-re)

Olette


Boys:

Luke (O_o I have no idea why I like this name, but I do)

Andrew

Riku

Mamoru

Astin

Leon

Roxas (I like this name, but I'm afraid that people would abuse it's usage >_>

Unisex:

Sora (It's a girls name, I know but I think it's a good guy's name too)


That's it for my list : )

On the nickname subject: That's why you name your kid something like Brooke (My name!) so they don't have to put up with stupid nicknames.

"Don''t let the cave-in get you down
Don''t let the falling rocks turn your smile into a frown...Sokka"
- Minstrel "Avatar: The Last Avatar"

Now you see me <_< Now you don''t


User avatar
Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:03 pm
Location: New Jersey

Post by Butterscotch » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:41 pm

peachvampiress wrote:This is something I've always wondered. I've read messages on a few name related sites (mostly parents asking about names they want to give their kids) and a lot of people say "I want to name my kid *formal name* so that I can call them *shortened nickname*". What I don't get is why people wouldn't name their kid the nickname they want instead? I don't think there's a law that says you have to name your kid Robert if you want to call them Bob.
When your kids get in trouble, you need to have a full name to call them by, so they really know they're gonna catch it. ^_~
Bob doesn't have the same impact as Robert.

You know how it works:
Mom: Jen! Jen! Jennifer! Jennifer Lynne!
By the time Mom is screeching your full name, you're in big [email protected] XD

Also, people assume that Bob is a nickname of Robert. My sister's name is Katie and people always assume it's short for Katherine, which it isn't. [/i]

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:42 pm

Mad Hatteress Belial wrote:
Emma (It just sounds too simple and hickish)
XD I love the name Emma, but I definitely see your point.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:13 am
Location: TN
Contact:

Post by Tempest » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:50 pm

Fruityla wrote: Luke (O_o I have no idea why I like this name, but I do)
You've reminded me of another male name that I like.
Lucas.

::adds::
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

User avatar
Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:24 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:23 pm

Boys:

Giacomo
Colojoro
Angelo
Pasquale
Xavier

Girls:
Aurora
Rose
Mizuho
Tenma
Zarah
Midori
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

490

User avatar
Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: The City

Post by Kameko » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:26 pm

Finally thought of a girl's name:
Giovanna
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

User avatar
Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 704
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Post by Panda » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:21 pm

Lol, my mom said she named me for two things.

*The person home I was conceived in
*Would it sound scary if she was yelling it



I like the name Lucas also. I hate the name Luke though... who knows :?

Everytime I become really good freinds with someone I really end up liking their names alot...


*Cassandra (If I didn't put this on myother post I should have. I think this name is gorgeous)
*Zea (I'd use it as a middle name... pronounced like the letter)
*Ronald (I guess I like Ron better but nothing really flows with Ron by itself so I'd go ahead and use Ronald)
*Daniel (I like Dan. Apparently I'm one of those people that does full names for nicknames... same reasons as above...)
*Anthony
*Joseph (But it's just oh so common...)



I really need to stop my naming habits... All my kids will be named after people eventually.

User avatar
Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Post by Sailor V » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:44 pm

Tiff wrote:
Sailor V wrote: Adrian (Rick)


Lucas (Clarke)

Tiffany (Annie)

Brianna (Bobbie)

Rebekah (Renee)

Domenicque (Izzy)
These nicknames don'te ven make sense. How do you get Clarke out of Lucas?? or Rick out of Adrian? And I assure you, nobody's ever called me Annie in my life, and if they did, they'd get punched.

I really can't figure out how in the hell you got your nicknames. o.O
I get them from soapoperas. I thing Rick should be a nickname, but I don't like the name Richard or Frederick. I just get my nicknames from thinking about their real names because I don't think nicknames should be considered real names.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:07 pm
Location: The Guard Room
Contact:

Post by the*blue*girl » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:19 pm

Jeff wrote:Shithead.

This is the actual name of a girl at a local high school, and I've seen the yearbook picture to prove it. It's pronounced "Shi-thayd." I think it's very elegant.
my mom subed for a class with a bot named shithead in it, pronounced the same way you wrote it. but she didn't know that, so she just stood there, looking at the roll sheet, trying to think of how she could possibly pronounce it...

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.



User avatar
NekoSun518
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:51 pm
Contact:

Post by NekoSun518 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:30 pm

Girls:
Elphaba
Galinda
Christine

Boys:
Erik
Roger
Jonathon


The first two girls names because I have an unnatural obsession with Wicked and I'm in love with the names Elphaba and Galinda and then Christine and Erik come from the Phantom of the Opera. Roger comes from Rent and Jonathon comes from the creator of Rent. My children will be named after musicals.......hahaha....I have a slight obsession :oops:

User avatar
Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 2:01 pm
Location: Cincinnati Ohio

Post by Rin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:43 pm

Tiff wrote:
Mad Hatteress Belial wrote:
Emma (It just sounds too simple and hickish)
XD I love the name Emma, but I definitely see your point.
I do like the name Emma, but I would never use it for a kid because it reminds me of the Spice Girls. :x
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

User avatar
Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:21 pm
Location: Wonderland

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:55 am

I'm taking high school advantage, so every Monday I go an take a college course, and my teacher's name is Ms. Fish. Now, most people have no problem changing their first or middle name, but most get attached to their family name, and don't want to change it, so they get screwed.

I, however, have no problem changing the whole damn thing when I turn 18 in March (can't freaking wait!) and I'd be willing to share the change with anyone who's interested in a PM, as I don't like the idea of posting it for God and everyone to see.
STAGE OUT!!!

User avatar
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Australia

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:19 am

Rin wrote:
Tiff wrote:
Mad Hatteress Belial wrote:
Emma (It just sounds too simple and hickish)
XD I love the name Emma, but I definitely see your point.
I do like the name Emma, but I would never use it for a kid because it reminds me of the Spice Girls. :x

As much as I too like the name, I've had to grow up with a sister named Emma.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

User avatar
Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:29 pm

Post by Umino » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:59 am

Let's see...

Boys

Antonio (if I ever have a boy, I'll have to name him that)
Giovanni
Fiore (no relation to the SMR movie :P)
Mori (for some reason, I really like this name >_>)

Girls

Marina
Luccia
Ruby
Chinarose (combination of my sister's names ^_^)

User avatar
Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Luxemburg
Contact:

Post by Kasumi » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:07 am

I wouldn't give my child a name that absolutely NO ONE can spell right at the first time. It's one of those instances where a simple decision can have a very large impact. For the sake of my child, I wouldn't name her, for example, Sakura, just because _I_ want to. It's a name not very common in my country... well, in every country besides Japan. Because I just KNOW there will be kids that will mock my child's name. I want her to be happy at least a bit for I know how it is to be publically humiliated because of the name given by my parents. And it's _effing_ unfair because my name, in some countries, is pretty common and damn uninteresting -_-
...Qui sême le vent, récolte la tempête...

User avatar
the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:07 pm
Location: The Guard Room
Contact:

Post by the*blue*girl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:52 pm

Umino wrote: Mori (for some reason, I really like this name >_>)
ok, i have to say it... mori means "death" in latin =P its also my cat's name...

and i thought of another name i really like: melinda. i think its pretty, but i wouldn't use it because she'd be called linda, and i don't like that name (no offense).

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.



User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:01 pm

the*blue*girl wrote: and i thought of another name i really like: melinda. i think its pretty, but i wouldn't use it because she'd be called linda, and i don't like that name (no offense).
Actually, my best friend in high school/college was named Melinda, and we called her Minda (she preferred it). =P NOBODY ever called her Linda.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:13 am
Location: Luxemburg
Contact:

Post by Kasumi » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:50 am

Why? Linda's a cute name too ^^ It sounds... cuddly... somehow xD;; I realized I didn't really contribute that much last time, so...

I'll just say that I absolutely like American names. No, not French names, not German names, but American names. Don't ask because I don't know why ^^° They just sound way cooler to _me_ (emphasis on "me")
...Qui sême le vent, récolte la tempête...

Locked