What would you name your kids?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:11 pm

Hmm for girls:

Christine- I've always loved this name.

Victoria- love it, but hate the nickname Vicky(no offense to anyone who may have this name) so don't know if I'll use it.

Madeline (Maddie for short)- I've always thought it was cute

Chloe- Another cute name, but I'll probably use it for an animal

Haily- Only if people will pronounce it right

Riley- Cute Irish name.

Boys: This one is harder

Andrew- my favorite boy name

Cody- name I've always liked

and uh... can't think of any more.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:15 pm

Oh yes, Rin reminded me of my third girl's name.

Riley Nicole.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:26 pm

Rin
Christine- I've always loved this name.
Yay! Kinda
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:44 pm

Tiff wrote:Oh yes, Rin reminded me of my third girl's name.

Riley Nicole.

The second part of the name is a good choice there. ;o
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:48 pm

Tiff wrote: Girls: April Leigh
Derek has a good taste in middle names. My middle name is Leigh as well. :D
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:48 am

Been away too long, time to get posting in threads again!

For boys:

Raphaël - Mom was going to use this one on her last kid, but the last one she got was named Camille, since she's a girl, aha.

Adam - I really like this one.

For girls:

Chloé - Dunno why, one day it popped into my mind. Boyfriend seems to agree with this one. YAYY!

Eléonore - It just has this... great sound, I don't know, I love it XD .

Aurèle - Boyfriend doesn't like this one though. I shall try it nonetheless, it just feels like this name is meant to be one day!

Just no names starting with an N. Because Boyfriend's name starts with an F, the initials would be FN and that is also the initials of a racist political party in France, so XD ...

Other than that, I don't really know. I guess we'll think more about it once we actually start having kids :P
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:22 pm

you know what i realized? most of my favorite boy names are slightly on the feminine side. skylar, gabrielle, adrian, those kinds of names. i guess i just like girl names better ^_^

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:37 pm

For Boys
Nathaniel (Nathan)

Adrian (Rick)

Joesph (Joey)

Jeffrey (Jeff)

Hunter (No Nickname)

Dylan (Lenny)

Henry (No Nickname)

Chase (No Nickname)

Lucas (Clarke)

Jason

For Girls
Tiffany (Annie)

Brianna (Bobbie)

Rebekah (Renee)

Victoria (Tori)

Serenity (Serena)

Rachel (Rei)

Denecwa (Dani)

Tarianna (Tara)

Domenicque (Izzy)

Delanna (Lainy)[/u]
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:22 pm

Sailor V wrote: Adrian (Rick)

Lucas (Clarke)

Tiffany (Annie)

Brianna (Bobbie)

Rebekah (Renee)

Domenicque (Izzy)
These nicknames don'te ven make sense. How do you get Clarke out of Lucas?? or Rick out of Adrian? And I assure you, nobody's ever called me Annie in my life, and if they did, they'd get punched.

I really can't figure out how in the hell you got your nicknames. o.O

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:33 pm

This is something I've always wondered. I've read messages on a few name related sites (mostly parents asking about names they want to give their kids) and a lot of people say "I want to name my kid *formal name* so that I can call them *shortened nickname*". What I don't get is why people wouldn't name their kid the nickname they want instead? I don't think there's a law that says you have to name your kid Robert if you want to call them Bob.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:38 pm

peachvampiress wrote:This is something I've always wondered. I've read messages on a few name related sites (mostly parents asking about names they want to give their kids) and a lot of people say "I want to name my kid *formal name* so that I can call them *shortened nickname*". What I don't get is why people wouldn't name their kid the nickname they want instead? I don't think there's a law that says you have to name your kid Robert if you want to call them Bob.
Yeah, I don't understand that, either.

For example? I love the name Angelina. But I refuse to name my kid that, becuase they will be called Angie. And I HATE the name Angie.

I like the name Lina, by itself. I'm not going to name my kid Angelina just so I can call her Lina. I'll just use Lina, k thx.

*rolls eyes* There was a kid one year when I was student teaching who was always called Bubba. His real name was Branden, but he was ALWAYS called Bubba, to the point that this child didn't even RESPOND to his real name. It wasp ure hell trying to teach him how to write and recognize Branden, becuase his parents had called him Bubba for four years. Jesus, people, why not just name the fucking kid Bubba?!

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:47 pm

the*blue*girl wrote:you know what i realized? most of my favorite boy names are slightly on the feminine side. skylar, gabrielle, adrian, those kinds of names. i guess i just like girl names better ^_^
Gabrielle isn't just slightly on the feminine side, it is a girl's name. The masculine form is Gabriel.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:01 pm

Kameko wrote:
the*blue*girl wrote:you know what i realized? most of my favorite boy names are slightly on the feminine side. skylar, gabrielle, adrian, those kinds of names. i guess i just like girl names better ^_^
Gabrielle isn't just slightly on the feminine side, it is a girl's name. The masculine form is Gabriel.
ah, my bad ^_^ i should probably learn how to spell names before i name somebody the wrong thing...

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:28 pm

peachvampiress wrote:This is something I've always wondered. I've read messages on a few name related sites (mostly parents asking about names they want to give their kids) and a lot of people say "I want to name my kid *formal name* so that I can call them *shortened nickname*". What I don't get is why people wouldn't name their kid the nickname they want instead? I don't think there's a law that says you have to name your kid Robert if you want to call them Bob.
That also makes me question why people think it's okay to use a nickname on someone without asking first. My name is Brittany Jade Keira (two middle names rock), and not only can people not pronounce Brittany with three syllables, but they think it's okay to call me Britt. I abhor that nickname, and want to stab it with a butter knife. >_<

In fact, that's one of the reservations I have with the name Gabrielle. The nickname Gabby drives me nuts.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:47 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:
In fact, that's one of the reservations I have with the name Gabrielle. The nickname Gabby drives me nuts.
Indeed. I love Abigail, but not abby.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:48 pm

NameGoesHere
That also makes me question why people think it's okay to use a nickname on someone without asking first. My name is Brittany Jade Keira (two middle names rock), and not only can people not pronounce Brittany with three syllables, but they think it's okay to call me Britt. I abhor that nickname, and want to stab it with a butter knife. >_<
I totally feel your pain. I can't figure out whether I hate it when idiots call me Chrissy or Tina more.

Check out this hilarious site about parents picking really, and I mean REALLY stupid names for kids.

~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:53 pm

peachvampiress wrote:
I totally feel your pain. I can't figure out whether I hate it when idiots call me Chrissy or Tina more.

Check out this hilarious site about parents picking really, and I mean REALLY stupid names for kids.
XD I adore that site. It's bookmarked on my computer. Some of those names are SO fucking insane.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:17 pm

I guess I luck out tonight. I like the nicknames that go with my name... even though some of them never make sense...

Jeannette

*Jean
*Jeannie
*Jenny (This one gets me everytime...)
*Jen
*Jay (WTF?!?)
*Jeana (Okay... this one I don't like to much...)

Robyn

*Rob (It doesn't bother me if family uses it. Normal people can't use it or I'll just get pissed off)
*Robby (Only my sister calls me this though)
*Bobby (On;y heard it a couple times...)

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:53 pm

If somebody calls you by a nickname that you don't like: ignore them. My dad's name is Peter and he doesn't like it when people call him Pete. One nickname I don't understand is Ted for Theodore especially when Theodore is such a nice name. That is what I'm afraid of if I name my son Theodore: asshats will insist on calling him Ted.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:00 pm

Shithead.

This is the actual name of a girl at a local high school, and I've seen the yearbook picture to prove it. It's pronounced "Shi-thayd." I think it's very elegant.