Recent DVD purchases

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:19 pm

Today, I've managed to snag all three of the (original) Star Wars Trilogy at the local Target for around $16.95 each.

I've added Dodgeball: Unrated, as well as Beavis & Butt-Head Do America: Special Edition.

I was going to get Team America: World Police (unrated), but I didn't since I'm kind of cash-strapped right now.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:24 pm

DuoTheShinigami02
Today, I've managed to snag all three of the (original) Star Wars Trilogy at the local Target for around $16.95 each.
BUT ITS NOT TEH WIDSKREEEEN ANAMORPHIXXOR!!!!11111

Seriously though, those are next on my "DVDs I must purchase list". They're just so damn expensive right now ;_;. Although paying $30 for Return of the Jedi is worth the price if it means not having to see Hayden Christensen's creepy learing face at the end -_-
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:35 pm

peachvampiress wrote:DuoTheShinigami02
BUT ITS NOT TEH WIDSKREEEEN ANAMORPHIXXOR!!!!11111

Seriously though, those are next on my "DVDs I must purchase list". They're just so damn expensive right now ;_;. Although paying $30 for Return of the Jedi is worth the price if it means not having to see Hayden Christensen's creepy learing face at the end -_-
At least we get the following:

0. No "A New Hope" subtitle
1. Han firing first
2. No Jabba scene
3. The original (and creepy-looking, compared to the 2004 edition) Emperor
4. The Ewok celebration song (and let's face it, Ewoks easily kicks the Gungan's asses)
5. No Hayden "Mannequin Skywalker" (coutresy of Clerks II) Christensen

Of course, the picture quality is crappy, but it's WAY better than the VHS (and probably, the laserdisc) version.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:46 pm

I just bough Memoirs of a Geisha and Fun with Dick and Jane. I've seen Dick and Jane and thought it was pretty funny. Still have to watch Memoirs of a Geisha.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

sailor skywalker
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by sailor skywalker » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:30 am

yeah I have them Star wars episoe IV V VI special edition moehahahahaha

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:03 am

The Flash: I remember this from when it was first run back in 1991. And I remember seeing two of the three videos. But really, most of what I recall is this guy running around in a red suit with a lightning bolt on the chest. Oh, and the cool animation at the opening of each episode.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:05 am

Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law Volume 2, a.k.a my guilty pleasure. I have NO idea why I like this show, but I wish the third season wasn't on so late so I could watch it; although some of the previews have irked me a bit. I mean, couldn't they show it at an early time? It's certainly not as offensive as other crap on Adult Swim.

That channel has seriously gone to heck, though; when AS first started, it had the best block of shows, with back to back Home Movies even, then nothing.
STAGE OUT!!!

sailor skywalker
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by sailor skywalker » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:47 pm

the little mermaid double disc

Ariel you rock xo I wanna be a part of your world

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:37 am

Last DVD I bought was a $15 Dick Tracy/Dragnet set. It contains the first Dick Tracy serial, the four Dick Tracy movies (two of which have Ralph Byrd reprise his role as Tracy) and some Dragnet episodes.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:47 pm

My boyfriend recently bought me a copy of Fast and the Furious 3: Tokyo Drift as a late birthday present. It's not that great of a movie, but we only saw it in the theatre and got the DVD because Keiko Kitagawa is in it.

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:44 am

*slightly OT* LOL I went to see that movie just because of her XD . She's in it, for, what, maybe three minutes tops ?

Oh, and she says ONE SENTENCE IN IT! Whoohoo XD !

Ahem. Let's just hope if she gets in another movie that has something like an international release her role gets more... presence. :P

*end of OT*
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:01 am

We got "Over the Hedge", but I didn't like it because i'm not into those kinds of movies.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:11 am

Sailor V:

You've been asked once already to shorten your sig somehow. Either remove the spaces, remove some lines, or minimize the font on it, but it's far too long as it is right now.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:13 pm

Macbeth: The Polanski version. Weird shit I know, but I haven't seen it since Grade 12.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:15 pm

Over the Hedge. I saw it in the theater and loved it. My favorite character is Hammy. (the squirrel)
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:15 pm

The Girl From Tomorrow: A fondly-remembered kids show from 1990. The story revolves around Alana, a 31st-century teenager who gets abducted by Silverthorn, a villain from the 26th century (and is played by a likeable guy who has the misfortune of being named John Howard). Sent back in time to 1990, she has to recruit the help of a Sydney family to retrieve her Time Capsule, or remain stuck in a world with a crappy atmosphere. Followed by a second series, Tomorrow's End, which concerned the effect that Silverthorn's time journey has on Alana's future.

Gunsmith Cats: Haven't properly viewed this one, but I did see an episode about 6 years ago, back when I first got into non-Sailor Moon anime (SBS had just completed two almost-simultaneous runs of Neon Genesis Evangelion). So I figured what the hey.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Recent DVD purchases

Post by 1992 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:12 pm

i recently bought a Barbra Streisand DVD television special box set. i had seen one of her preformences on tv before and i really liked it. i also bought a saturday night fever DVD. haven't seen the movie in a while, good movie. for some reason the whole time i was watching saturday night fever i couldnt stop laughing.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:17 am

Twin Peaks: David Lynch puts weird shit on TV. I hadn't seen the series before, but the slow pace and general weirdness got me into it. In case you haven't heard of the show before, it's a slower-paced, weirder, ancestor of Desperate Housewives where a seemingly-idyllic town comes unglued following the murder of local prom queen Laura Palmer. TRIVIA: Sheryl Lee (aka Laura Palmer) later went on to play the original Mary Alice Young in Housewives
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:56 pm

I got the 14-disc Ultimate Superman DVD Collection.

A note of warning, though, from Warner Home Video:

Bonus content was omitted from the "Superman III: Deluxe Edition" in the 14-disc "Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition." Furthermore, disc one of "Superman: The Movie - Four Disc Special Edition" did not include the Dolby Digital 2.0 mix. Neither disc is known to be physically defective in any way. Warner Home Video wants to extend apologies to all of our loyal Superman fans who've waited so patiently for these great collections and has taken immediate steps to correct these errors with the intention of standing behind our product 100%.

Replacement discs can be obtained by calling: 800-553-6937 between the hours of 7 AM and 7 PM Pacific Standard Time. The exchange program applies only to purchases of the "Superman III: Deluxe Edition" in the "Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition" and to disc one of "Superman: The Movie - Four Disc Special Edition," available as a single title, as well as in "The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection" and in the "Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition."

After I learned of this, I immediately called the 800 number, and I had to wait about 20-30 minutes. If you're planning on buying it for Christmas, I would wait until they release the version with the corrected discs.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:31 pm

Ice Age: The Meltdown

It's a good movie.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot