Recent DVD purchases

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Recent DVD purchases

Post by Sylphiel » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:17 pm

In the vein of "Movies you've seen recently" and "Recent video game purchases", I thought I'd start a thread for DVDs (or even VHS, if anyone still purchases them =P) you've gotten lately.

For me... Darkwing Duck Vol. 1! Man, this was my absolute favorite show for a few years growing up. I remember I even wrote a few "fanfics" for it before I even knew what fanfics were. ^^;;; I just love it.

There was a great convo that happened when I bought it from Walmart too a couple days ago:

*I pile up a bunch of crap I bought, including a shirt for Dan*
Guy in Electronics that I work with: Oh geez, now you're gonna go home and watch this Darkwing Duck DVD...
Me: Hey, that stuff's not ALL for me. The shirt is Men's size...
Guy: But the Darkwing Duck DVD--
Me: Well of course THAT'S for me. =P
Guy: *laughs*
Lady next to us: *laughs harder*

XD;;

As for the DVD itself, it's good quality so far. Nice picture and sound. ^^
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:44 pm

XD The Chipmunk Adventure movie.

I LOVED this movie as a kid, and couldn't find it for the longest time. Then I happened to be in Wal-mart, and found it on DVD for 10 bucks. I watched it about a week ago, and it was a serious nostalgia trip.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:21 pm

Soon to be The Corpse Bride. My friend's birthday is coming up and she never got to see the movie.

Tiff
The Chipmunk Adventure movie.
OMG, yes. I loved that movie when I was little, I would cry on that song the Chippettes sing about family. ;__;
Last edited by Hobbes on Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:22 pm

Hobbes wrote:
OMG, yes. I loved that movie when I was little, I would cry on that song the Chippettes sing about family. ;__;
My mooother..that's who I meaaaan.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

DragonMasterZero
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by DragonMasterZero » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:50 pm

The most recent DVD purchase would be Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2
Favorite Senshi: Saturn and Jupiter
If I had a Henshin phrase it would be: Dragon Master Power! Armor Up!

A shrine without girls is like Miso Soup without the Miso - Grandpa Hino
The human body can be drained of blood in 8 seconds given adequate vaccuuming systems - River - Firefly

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:52 pm

*_* I need to get the Chipmunk's movie. I haven't seen that in damn near ten years.

Speaking of nostalga, I just bought two of the Real Ghostbusters DVDs. They've got four episodes each on them. Can't wait to watch them later ^___^
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:47 pm

I bought the Animaniacs DVD a few weeks ago, but haven't watched it yet v_v

I gave serious consideration to buying the first Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles movie on DVD, but I decided against it...today. If it's still there on Tuesday, I'll probably grab it ^_^;

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:29 am

FMA vol 12
Negima 2
Jackass the Movie Uncensored Special Ed. 8)
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Blackat
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Location: The only place where you can find Kangaroos in your backyard.

Post by Blackat » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:14 am

Wow, everyone's having trips down memory lane! I'm seriously looking into buying The Brave Little Toaster, which was one of my favourite animated films when I was really small. It just came out on dvd!

And today I rented out....An Extremely Goofy Movie. I love this film. <3

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:01 am

I just got Lost Season 2 from Wal-Mart, and I'm making a trip to the mall on Tuesday, so I'll likely be adding to this list.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Re: Recent DVD purchases

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:06 am

Sylphiel wrote: For me... Darkwing Duck Vol. 1! Man, this was my absolute favorite show for a few years growing up. I remember I even wrote a few "fanfics" for it before I even knew what fanfics were. ^^;;; I just love it.

How can you say that?! The sound fades out a bit during a portion of the theme song, and they didn't restore the original 48 minute pilot! I'm furious about that, and I'm wondering if they'll keep the other episodes edited as well, like on "Twin Beaks" when Bushroot says "They'd better not call us pansies", or the rather big cut in "Time and Punishment".

They included "Aduckyphobia", which wasn't shown much due to copyright violation (Aren't parodies suppose to be immune from that?) and "Bearskin Thug", so I hope they'll include "Hotspells" in the fourth(?) season boxet, as it's the only episode I haven't seen.

It's sort of funny; I heard that when DW was on ABC, they would show the episode "My Valentine Ghoul" because of homosexual references... what a crock.

Anyway... My recent purchase was the Rocky Horror Picture Show/Shock Treament double pack, which is just over $20 and is an excellent buy. I haven't had time to finish ST yet, but so far I think it's a really interesting movie. Oh, and what year did the PG-13 rating start? There's no way that ST should only be PG with the stuff that's in it.
STAGE OUT!!!

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:36 am

Mad Hatteress Belial wrote:
Sylphiel wrote: For me... Darkwing Duck Vol. 1! Man, this was my absolute favorite show for a few years growing up. I remember I even wrote a few "fanfics" for it before I even knew what fanfics were. ^^;;; I just love it.

How can you say that?! The sound fades out a bit during a portion of the theme song, and they didn't restore the original 48 minute pilot! I'm furious about that, and I'm wondering if they'll keep the other episodes edited as well, like on "Twin Beaks" when Bushroot says "They'd better not call us pansies", or the rather big cut in "Time and Punishment".

They included "Aduckyphobia", which wasn't shown much due to copyright violation (Aren't parodies suppose to be immune from that?) and "Bearskin Thug", so I hope they'll include "Hotspells" in the fourth(?) season boxet, as it's the only episode I haven't seen.
^^;;;;; Well, I didn't notice the sound in the theme song because I usually skip the intro... and I didn't even know about the cuts in the Pilot or those other eps. That sucks, but it's not the end of the world... I'm just happy I get to see it again at all.

I hope they include Hot Spells too, I've heard about that one. and I love Morgana <3
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:48 am

Sylphiel wrote: ^^;;;;; Well, I didn't notice the sound in the theme song because I usually skip the intro... and I didn't even know about the cuts in the Pilot or those other eps. That sucks, but it's not the end of the world... I'm just happy I get to see it again at all.

I hope they include Hot Spells too, I've heard about that one. and I love Morgana <3
If you're interested, you can buy the VHS of "Darkly Dawns the Duck" for pretty cheap on eBay, which has the full episode, and it doesn't even break it up with the "To be continued..." It is nice to be able see at least season one again (I'm freaking obsessed with this show), but I wish they would have done as good of a job on DW as they did with Gargoyles.

I've never liked Morgana, but I found it interesting that Disney would do a show with even the slightest of occult themes.

I really wish that the show would have lasted another season; I've heard that they were going to make an episode called "Pranks for the Memories" which was to be the return of Paddywack; he was one of the few non-Fearsome Five characters I liked.
Last edited by Mad Hatteress Belial on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
STAGE OUT!!!

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:08 pm

Mad Hatteress Belial
Oh, and what year did the PG-13 rating start? There's no way that ST should only be PG with the stuff that's in it.
PG-13 started being used around 1984.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

sailor skywalker
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by sailor skywalker » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:12 pm

V for vendetta
a good film with great lines and a better natalie portman
woo hoo

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:40 am

The Simpsons Season 8.

Tomorrow, I'm getting the "New" Original Star Wars Trilogy (the "Han fires first, Ewok celebration song" version).
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:54 am

Mad Hatteress Belial wrote:the return of Quackerjack; he was one of the few non-Fearsome Five characters I liked.
Uh... Quackerjack is part of the Fearsome Five =P It's Negaduck, Bushroot, Megavolt, Quackerjack, and Liquidator.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:56 am

Sylphiel wrote: Uh... Quackerjack is part of the Fearsome Five =P It's Negaduck, Bushroot, Megavolt, Quackerjack, and Liquidator.
Oops! Sorry, I didn't realize I put down the wrong character; I meant Paddywack.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:28 pm

I bought Fullmetal Alchemist The Movie: The Conqueror Of Shamballa on DVD today! It's weird that Funi delayed the limited edition DVD of the movie until November 14th but BestBuy was still selling their own limited edition DVD and the only difference between their version and the other limited edition is that it uses different cover art and doesn't have the audio commentaries....Funi is so confusing, but still I'm glad to finally own the FMA movie. It was such an awesome ending to an awesome series. Too bad it's over now. :cry:
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Inuyasha volume 44 and movie #4 from Sam Goody (I was also going for #43 and #45, but they were out of stock. I was told they were expecting another shipment in Thursday, so I'm going back next week for them.) and Memoirs of a Geisha from Wal-Mart.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?