No more Pluto?! Say what?!

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:08 pm

This is what I don't get: they disqualified Pluto because its orbit cuts through Neptune's. But we could equally say that Neptune's orbit cuts through Pluto's. The fact that Neptune's orbit is less eccentric rather than more shouldn't matter; it's arbitrary to say one has the "right" orbit and the other is an interloper. Should Neptune lose status as well? It also seems to say that if we pushed Pluto out to a similar, equally eccentric orbit that did not cut Neptune's, its planet status would be restored. Also arbitrary.

Whatever this board says means nothing to me; the planets are the planets and they won't change.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:21 pm

What ever happened to that 10th (9th? :( ) planet? And if there are three others will that somehow effect anything? (beyond the obvious of course)

I mean damn. With Pluto gone... what's left. What about the Scorpios o.o

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:31 pm

If astrologers cut Pluto out too, Scorpio would go back to being ruled by Mars. That's what it was said to be ruled by before Pluto was discovered. Astrologers don't always follow astronomers, in fact, the two groups often clash.

But I honestly don't know what the astrology community is going to do about this, simply because I'm not a part of it. So I could be way off here.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:36 pm

Am I the only one who's visualizing a half-drunken Setsuna at a bar bemoaning her (lack of) fortunes?

Maybe she can find work with the Time-Space Administration Bureau.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:44 pm

Aya Reiko
Am I the only one who's visualizing a half-drunken Setsuna at a bar bemoaning her (lack of) fortunes?
"They's think they can jush cut me out like THAT!? Don't they know who I yam? I'ms the Time Gates Guardian Bitch. I knows the Queen. I KNOWS THE QUEEN! And she's gonna be pisshed off when I tells her what happened. I'm a Dark Dome Close all their asses." *falls down*
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

UsagiKira
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by UsagiKira » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:23 pm

peachvampiress wrote:Aya Reiko
"They's think they can jush cut me out like THAT!? Don't they know who I yam? I'ms the Time Gates Guardian Bitch. I knows the Queen. I KNOWS THE QUEEN! And she's gonna be pisshed off when I tells her what happened. I'm a Dark Dome Close all their asses." *falls down*
See now... that was just wrong and funny! XDDDD

I thought of it more like, something outta survivor. "Setsuna, I'm afraid you've been voted out of the system." Setsuna: "What?! Why?! This is unjustice!! I've put my life and job on the line for this planet, AND THIS IS WHAT I GET?!"

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:26 pm

So, if Pluto's demoted and and there a three new planets, we have 11 planets? Gah! So confusing! So, what are the names of the new planets?

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:36 pm

Sailor V wrote:So, if Pluto's demoted and and there a three new planets, we have 11 planets? Gah! So confusing! So, what are the names of the new planets?
I believe Pluto's demotion means that the other 3 now don't count.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:20 pm

XD
Mind if I signature that?

And there's a dwarf planet called Xena? Sailor Xena, anyone? *gets sudden image of Sailor Xena doing backflips and warcries and declaring herself Sailor Xena: Senshi Princess.*

Now what happened to Sailor Sedna? Sedna was my favorite dwarf Senshi ;_;
Last edited by SeiUsa on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:38 pm

LMFAO

Drunk Pluto rules. 'Cause I mean, dude... what ELSE does she have to do all day at the time gate besides drink alone and get sloshed? =P
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:01 am

SeiUsa
XD
Mind if I signature that?
Sure, go ahead.

Yay! I've been sigged. *joins Setsuna at the bar*
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:51 am

This is going to mess up that phrase that you learn in grade school to help you remember the planets. "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" I guess it will now have to be "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us uh... Noodles?" But what's so great about noodles?

Poor Setsuna. Drunk depressed Setsuna rocks though.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:38 am

Sailorasteroid wrote:This is what I don't get: they disqualified Pluto because its orbit cuts through Neptune's. But we could equally say that Neptune's orbit cuts through Pluto's. The fact that Neptune's orbit is less eccentric rather than more shouldn't matter; it's arbitrary to say one has the "right" orbit and the other is an interloper. Should Neptune lose status as well? It also seems to say that if we pushed Pluto out to a similar, equally eccentric orbit that did not cut Neptune's, its planet status would be restored. Also arbitrary.
It's actually not so much the eccentricity of its orbit as it is some concept called "clearing the neighborhood of its orbit". As best as I can summarize, when an object "clears the neighborhood of its orbit", it either, over the course of its time in existance, absorbs all the objects within the orbit into itself - thus increasing its size - or kicks them out to be distributed into another orbit, leaving only objects that are of a significantly different mass, except for natural satelites and "objects later collected under [a planet's] gravitational influence"; this seems to exempt Jupiter and the Trojan Asteroids (not Sailor Asteroids).

What this means is that Pluto gets re-classified because it failed to "clear the neighborhood"; objects in the Kupier belt - a span of celestial objects outside Neptune's orbit - are "in the neighborhood" of Pluto's orbit, and while not under the influence of Pluto's gravity (it obviously does not have the gravitational strength to force them all into the same orbit), many of the Kupier objects do not have significantly different mass from that of Pluto. In some regards, therefore, it could be considered similar to 1 Ceres, which does not share the exact same orbit as other objects in the Asteroid Belt yet is of similar mass to other objects there.
Sailorasteroid wrote:Whatever this board says means nothing to me; the planets are the planets and they won't change.
You don't care about what this board says? =(

At any rate, I am inclined to agree; I'm all for a "nostalgic" classification - maybe one just used by the lay people - wherein Mercury through Pluto are termed the "Classic" planets, while "Xena", 1 Ceres, and any others be coined "Neo" planets or something. I realize that this is going to be a touchy issue for some fans of the traditional naming conventions, but we scientists aren't really known for our sentimentality >_>
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:20 am

yoshmaster5 wrote:
quite honestly, the only thing taht will be effected much is elementry school solar-system projects.
Does that mean we have to go back to elementary school now because all of our solar system projects failed because Pluto isn't a planet?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:30 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
yoshmaster5 wrote:
quite honestly, the only thing taht will be effected much is elementry school solar-system projects.
Does that mean we have to go back to elementary school now because all of our solar system projects failed because Pluto isn't a planet?
No, what I mean is in the big scheme of things, only new projects would be effected. And I feel sorry for teachers. *sorry TIffu... ;_;*
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:08 pm

Im not paying much attention to this.

Pluto will probably be a planet again in a few years anyway.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:55 pm

Rin wrote:This is going to mess up that phrase that you learn in grade school to help you remember the planets. "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" I guess it will now have to be "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us uh... Noodles?" But what's so great about noodles?.
What about nuggets? Nuggest are good. But what happens in 137 years when Neptune and Pluto swittch spots?
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:35 pm

Sailor V wrote:
Rin wrote:This is going to mess up that phrase that you learn in grade school to help you remember the planets. "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" I guess it will now have to be "My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us uh... Noodles?" But what's so great about noodles?.
What about nuggets? Nuggest are good. But what happens in 137 years when Neptune and Pluto swittch spots?
My Very Extrodited Mother Cautiously Just Served Us Personalized Clad Narcotics 2003UB313.

*shifty eyes* *runs*

I dunno, really. By the time you find that out, you don't really care what order the planets are in. only way I found that out is because I was obsessed with Astronomy for about 2 years.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:11 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:
Sailor V wrote:
My Very Extrodited Mother Cautiously Just Served Us Personalized Clad Narcotics 2003UB313.

*shifty eyes* *runs*
But what to the C's represent?
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:46 pm

I take it the Cs mean Ceres and Charon?
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"