No more Pluto?! Say what?!

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

UsagiKira
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

No more Pluto?! Say what?!

Post by UsagiKira » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:51 pm

I was watching this video on Yahoo news (which I can't find again! >_<) talking about the possibilty of our solar system having 3 new planets.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... ition.html

^ original story

What do you think? If you had to decided, would you keep all 9 or should we have 12?

I think 12. If it's more accurate then why not? It's about time most school books were updated anyway... >_>

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:55 pm

I'm torn on this issue.

On the one hand, the new definition of "planet" seems to pave the way for most of the objects in the Asteroid Belt, as well as a whole bunch of other objects in the Solar System, to be included as a planet. So that part of me wants to shoot down this idea. (Besides, Pluto/Charon as planets, while the moon - bigger than both - isn't? C'mon).

On the other hand, losing Pluto would be tremendous, and I know a lot of nostalgic scientists and those of us who aren't well versed in astronomy (aside from the occasional star/planet gazing and a general interest/fascination in heavenly bodies) would bemoan the loss of such a classical set of "facts" that most people know by the time they're teenagers.

Whatever the final decision is, you can bet a whole slew of fanfics - both good and bad, but mostly bad - are going to erupt out of this. I can already picture one where the other three Asteroid Soldiers fight with Ceres over her "promotion", or Pluto being unceremoniously kicked out of the Earth-bound Soldier group as a result of Pluto's losing its status :O
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by kingofgames » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:00 pm

I approve of this 12 planets :)
But then, now the current people that are in grades 5- College will have to learn about the additional 3 planets, and that could cause teachers to mess up their lessons (since some teachers done change their lesson plans for years)

On another note:
And this can help NASA explore futher, and eventually, explore outside this gallaxy..

If they try "Deranking" pluto though...this can cause some conversertasy
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

UsagiKira
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by UsagiKira » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:09 pm

I thought the same thing Star.

"*gasp* What will Sailor Moon fans think?! Especially if Pluto is demoted!"

My hubby laughed and said, "I can see it now. Raging Sailor Pluto fans causing riots."

Then I replied, "Raise your keystaffs in the air my sisters!!"
XD

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:47 pm

Starscream wrote:On the one hand, the new definition of "planet" seems to pave the way for most of the objects in the Asteroid Belt,
Hey, I'm not that fat yet! ^_^

I say keep it traditional: the planets are the planets and only ones outside of Pluto can be counted.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:
Starscream wrote:On the one hand, the new definition of "planet" seems to pave the way for most of the objects in the Asteroid Belt,
Hey, I'm not that fat yet! ^_^
XD
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:10 pm

If the anime would have paid more attention to Sailor Pluto this would never have happened! Dammit Toei!

But umm... yes. they need to keep Pluto. It's traditional. In the zodiac, in the history books... in the blues clues song...

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:52 pm

My first thought of this news was also about Sailor Pluto and Sailor Ceres. ^_^;

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:04 am

Bah, it's official: Sailor Pluto is out as one of the "Outer Soldiers":

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/dulut ... 344070.htm
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:12 am

Starscream wrote:Bah, it's official: Sailor Pluto is out as one of the "Outer Soldiers":

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/dulut ... 344070.htm
Dang it, you beat me to to. ;_;

Ah well. Poor Pluto...
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

UsagiKira
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by UsagiKira » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:47 am

This is garbage!! Complete garbage!! I can't believe they did this to Pluto!!

I don't care what they say, PLUTO IS STILL A PLANET!! :evil:

usachan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by usachan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:24 pm

Honestly, if they've been calling it a planet for so long, what harm would it do to keep calling it planet? It just makes things confusing for people, especially fans of Sailor Moon! :cry:

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:26 pm

Ahh... poor Pluto.

Maybe that's why she was sent to guard the Gates of Time (Panda writes a really bad fanfic...)

But really, this is heart-breaking.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:46 pm

Personally, it doesn't bother me much, although this is mainly because of not only my Taiki-esque idea that scientists shouldn't be held down by sentimental tradition, but also because I don't think being a "dwarf planet" is that bad, especially if Pluto is the biggest of its own class of objects.

I don't think that would hurt Sailor Pluto any, anyway, since Sailor Moon is the star and her celestial object is a Moon, not even a single planet. So whether or not science considers Pluto to be a planet would not screw up Sailor Pluto deriving power from it (or however the Senshi get their powers).

What more concerns me, especially as a sociologist, is the way that science, especially astronomy, will be viewed because of this. On the positive side of things, some people will see it as scientists being able to change the rules based on observations, but also being firm in not letting sentimentality guide what gets chosen as a planet. On the other hand, which is more likely, this will make science be hated even more than it is now with all the evolution and creation controversies, now we'll have people who, because of their emotional attachment to Pluto, may begin to hate astronomy and science in general. I suppose some of my concern here is related to my own ironic attachment to the idea of scientific objectivity. I guess looking at myself as an alien, it's ironic that I'm emotionally attached (and also intellectually attached) to something that is about being unbiased, but that's human nature for you.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:02 pm

Rainbow wrote:What more concerns me, especially as a sociologist, is the way that science, especially astronomy, will be viewed because of this. On the positive side of things, some people will see it as scientists being able to change the rules based on observations, but also being firm in not letting sentimentality guide what gets chosen as a planet. On the other hand, which is more likely, this will make science be hated even more than it is now with all the evolution and creation controversies, now we'll have people who, because of their emotional attachment to Pluto, may begin to hate astronomy and science in general. I suppose some of my concern here is related to my own ironic attachment to the idea of scientific objectivity. I guess looking at myself as an alien, it's ironic that I'm emotionally attached (and also intellectually attached) to something that is about being unbiased, but that's human nature for you.
Eh.

The only reason there are controversies based on the ideas of Creation and Evolution is because of their implications in various religions. Whereas a number of Christians (and perhaps other people of faith) feel that scientific ideas about creation and evolution contradict what their texts tell them, I believe (and someone correct me) that there are fewer people for whom the Pluto reclassification will affect in such a profound manner. Christians are the current majority in the world AND happen to have a big hand in the government of the United States at the moment, so of course something like evolution is going to have a larger impact. Pluto's redesignation does not do anything more than slap a different label on the orb; back when there was even less known about the universe, scholars placed the Sun, the Moon, and the five visible planets on the same level of importance; after we learned that the planets orbit the Sun, and the Moon orbits the Earth, there were a number of Christians that were upset about it, but it didn't take long for a good majority of them to "forgive" science and return to respecting its findings.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:39 pm

I mainly meant that it might have a negative impact on science's public image, not that it was of the same scale as the evolution/creation controversy. I might've used the wrong example, too.

Part of where I get that idea is from that my dad told me today that when they first tried to "demote" Pluto, scientists were stopped by letters sent in by schoolchildren who wanted to "save Pluto."
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:56 pm

Rainbow wrote:I mainly meant that it might have a negative impact on science's public image, not that it was of the same scale as the evolution/creation controversy. I might've used the wrong example, too.

Part of where I get that idea is from that my dad told me today that when they first tried to "demote" Pluto, scientists were stopped by letters sent in by schoolchildren who wanted to "save Pluto."
I get where you're coming from, and yeah, it's going to get quite a bit of negative reaction from the lay people, but I don't think science on a whole will be affected. People might be miffed at astronomers at the end of the day, but I think the science of studying the stars is going to come out of this relatively unscathed.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:42 pm

Starscream wrote:
Rainbow wrote:I mainly meant that it might have a negative impact on science's public image, not that it was of the same scale as the evolution/creation controversy. I might've used the wrong example, too.

I get where you're coming from, and yeah, it's going to get quite a bit of negative reaction from the lay people, but I don't think science on a whole will be affected. People might be miffed at astronomers at the end of the day, but I think the science of studying the stars is going to come out of this relatively unscathed.
quite honestly, the only thing taht will be effected much is elementry school solar-system projects.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:49 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote: quite honestly, the only thing taht will be effected much is elementry school solar-system projects.
¬.¬ or we teachers who have been teaching that the solar system includes pluto...

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

DragonMasterZero
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by DragonMasterZero » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:56 pm

Poor Pluto /mourn :(
Favorite Senshi: Saturn and Jupiter
If I had a Henshin phrase it would be: Dragon Master Power! Armor Up!

A shrine without girls is like Miso Soup without the Miso - Grandpa Hino
The human body can be drained of blood in 8 seconds given adequate vaccuuming systems - River - Firefly