What is everyone's religion???

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 1545
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Post by Starscream » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:45 pm

CHIBI-MOD WARNING: Let's watch what we post in this thread, guys. We're here to talk about the religions we currently have, not bash the ones that we don't.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

User avatar
AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:08 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Contact:

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:19 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I found this fun online quiz over at Ex-christian.net: http://exchristian.net/3/ This quiz is so made of win because it's impossible for anyone to pass it. :twisted:
For the record, that quiz is full of inaccuracies and twists things just to make a point that doesn't make sense. Some of the things it says are just flat out wrong.

And to back up what dave said, this isn't the place to bash other religions.

TBA

User avatar
laffinizluv
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Texas

Post by laffinizluv » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:28 pm

I was born and raised Roman-Catholic. I don't consider myself that harcore, but I do believe and try to follow some key teaching that I agree with and understand.

I don't go to church very often and I do believe in birth control and don't have problems with gays. Otherwise, I'm a good ole' fashioned catholic girl :)

User avatar
Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Earth

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:46 am

I just want to apologize for saying the bible contradicts itself. I didn't mean it to come out that way. I was going off the test I saw.

As I haven't actually read the bible I want to say sorry. I should respect others religious beliefs.

Sorry :oops:

Anyway back on topic now.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

User avatar
Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:31 pm

Post by Aishiteru » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:46 pm

I am a non-denominational protestant Christian. For a while, when I was younger, I didn't really have a religion. I celebrated Christmas, but only because my family did. At 12 I read the whole Bible straight through and on my 13th birthday I became a Christian in my heart. I did that mostly because I wanted my real b-day to be the same as my biological one. My favorite Bible verse is Luke 6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:11 am

I'm Catholic. I was confirmed three years ago.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
supersailorearth
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:39 pm
Location: The Realm of Nothing
Contact:

Post by supersailorearth » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Aishiteru wrote:I am a non-denominational protestant Christian. For a while, when I was younger, I didn't really have a religion. I celebrated Christmas, but only because my family did. At 12 I read the whole Bible straight through and on my 13th birthday I became a Christian in my heart. I did that mostly because I wanted my real b-day to be the same as my biological one. My favorite Bible verse is Luke 6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
Oh, thats a cool verse, I really like it (I also think if people followed that there would be A LOT less trouble in the world!!!

I'm Catholic too, I was confirmed back in May. We don't go to Church often, however I do attend CCD (Catholic Sunday school) every Sunday of the school year and HATE it. We have work books that are like text books, and it is so boring it and easy it is kind of insulting to our intelligence. Its kinda made all of us resent being catholic however much we talk about it at our public school. I try to live correctly according to Christ's teachings, however I do disagree with the church on some issues, like birth control when used in marriage, a dead unbaptized babies being considered in trouble for original sin (need to look into it more so dont quote me), and confession being something required (also dont quote me on it).

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:24 pm

supersailorearth wrote:
I'm Catholic too, I was confirmed back in May. We don't go to Church often, however I do attend CCD (Catholic Sunday school) every Sunday of the school year and HATE it. We have work books that are like text books, and it is so boring it and easy it is kind of insulting to our intelligence. Its kinda made all of us resent being catholic however much we talk about it at our public school. I try to live correctly according to Christ's teachings, however I do disagree with the church on some issues, like birth control when used in marriage, a dead unbaptized babies being considered in trouble for original sin (need to look into it more so dont quote me), and confession being something required (also dont quote me on it).
Text book for Sunday school eh? Well, when I did my Sunday school (kinda) we just had this little sheet of paper with questions about the gospel and one time I did my service hours (for Confirmation) with the younger kids and they would just color (but it had to do with the teaching of that day). I go to a Catholic school, not so bad although there is this one nun, don't even get me started on. I passed her class but if you said you were for same sex marriage she would be like NO! and then started talking about how anal sex is sinful...yea I think I'll stop there.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 432
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:55 pm
Location: Maybe...

Post by Alexclow345 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:41 pm

That would be good XD

Born Roman Catholic. I don't go to church often though.
Sailor Jupiter Rules!

Still don''t know why this sig sucks. And I''ve been spelling sailor wrong for 2 years. Huh.
NEW AND IMPROVED: Now with more Jupiter!

User avatar
supersailorearth
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:39 pm
Location: The Realm of Nothing
Contact:

Post by supersailorearth » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:31 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:
supersailorearth wrote:
I'm Catholic too, I was confirmed back in May. We don't go to Church often, however I do attend CCD (Catholic Sunday school) every Sunday of the school year and HATE it. We have work books that are like text books, and it is so boring it and easy it is kind of insulting to our intelligence. Its kinda made all of us resent being catholic however much we talk about it at our public school. I try to live correctly according to Christ's teachings, however I do disagree with the church on some issues, like birth control when used in marriage, a dead unbaptized babies being considered in trouble for original sin (need to look into it more so dont quote me), and confession being something required (also dont quote me on it).
Text book for Sunday school eh? Well, when I did my Sunday school (kinda) we just had this little sheet of paper with questions about the gospel and one time I did my service hours (for Confirmation) with the younger kids and they would just color (but it had to do with the teaching of that day). I go to a Catholic school, not so bad although there is this one nun, don't even get me started on. I passed her class but if you said you were for same sex marriage she would be like NO! and then started talking about how anal sex is sinful...yea I think I'll stop there.
O_o Wow... I'm not really for same sex marriage because I think marriage should between men and women (and the same idea for sex) but I am for people having a really good friends (who isn't?).

Oops, sorry, I think I got a little off topic.

User avatar
Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: Somewhere Between Genius and Insanity

Post by Jamesares » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:34 pm

Was raised Roman Catholic and for the most part I still identify myself as one. As it pertains to the teachings themselves I have no qualms about them; however I am odds with the Church itself on a number of issues in which I believe they are very backwards on.

I also believe in idea of the Distanced God, which is that God watches over us and helps to guide us to the big picture, but does not take an active role in day to day lives of each individual.
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy


“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam


"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young


Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

User avatar
Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:35 pm

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:49 am

I dont believe in any one religion, mainly because I cant see that being how the universe works.

I think the every God or deity spoken of in all religions is actually the same being appearing to different people in different ways. If any one religion was the "true" faith it would have appeared to everyone on the planet at the same time and no religion has ever done that.

If you study the teachings of Jesus and then look at what Buddha taught and you will see they are almost exactly the same. Even the God Zeus said that you should love and take care of your neighbors.

They are all teaching the same thing. It's when humans become involved in the teachings that problems arise. There is nothing in the Koran about suicide bombs and 72 virgins, the Koran also teaches to love your neighbors.

I am what you call a Monist in my beliefs. I think one can have a relationship with God and not be religious at all. God has appeared in many forms over the ages and its up to each person to pick witch form they prefer. I personally chose Bastet. I love cats :)
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

User avatar
the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:07 pm
Location: The Guard Room
Contact:

Post by the*blue*girl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:26 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote: I think the every God or deity spoken of in all religions is actually the same being appearing to different people in different ways.
Thank you, you just phrased what I believe perfectly :]

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.



User avatar
demoneyeskyo87
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:27 am
Location: TX

Post by demoneyeskyo87 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:42 pm

Raised Roman Catholic but I rarely nowadays attend church but I've always attend important mass such as Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and I love watching a Christmas Mass every holiday season(especially in Spanish).

User avatar
Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Insane Asylum
Contact:

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:49 am

I just plain don't have a religion. I feel that, I don't need to follow one, or believe in a higher deity to make me happy.. Some of my other family members, just think I am going through a "phase", and think I am just afraid to believe in a god or a higher power. Personally, I don't think I need to pray in a higher power to get what I want, or aide myself. I just need to do things on my own time, and do things myself. Even most holidays have switched from a religious meaning to a commercial sellout. I actually question religion and its purpose. I believe personally it does more hurt than help. But that is just my own opinion. I don't go bashing other peoples rigions.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

User avatar
mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Contact:

Post by mizangelamy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Born and raised Catholic. But I hardly go to church anymore.
James and I are happily waiting to see our first born son on April 22, 2009!
Mrs. Green is happily married to her airman since May 10, 2008
"Gee, I never thought I had an effect on people until I was in Korea."~ Marilyn Monroe ~
"Not knowing of the dawn, not seeing the coming night, only my garnet eye crosses time, and I think of the people I love."~ Garnet Guardian from SM Memorial Song Box ~
"...the secret song of love is locked deep in my heart."~ Secret from SM Memorial Song Box ~


MySpace= add me!

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote: Even most holidays have switched from a religious meaning to a commercial sellout.
It's true, during Christmas all people care about is shopping for the coolest presents. And is someone doesn't get a present for Christmas they're like OOOMMMGGGG YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS IS THE WORST CHRISTMAS EVER!
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:00 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote: It's true, during Christmas all people care about is shopping for the coolest presents. And is someone doesn't get a present for Christmas they're like OOOMMMGGGG YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS IS THE WORST CHRISTMAS EVER!
Well, if you aren't a religious person, then Christmas is merely a holiday for getting together with people you care about, exchanging gifts, and eating food. That's basically all it's ever been for me, since I don't come from a religious family, and I myself am not religious. My husband is the same way.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:54 am

I personally feel that most holidays have become comercialized anyway its the way of the world. Easter used to be about the death/rebirth of christ. Now its not a holiday without your easter baskets and candy. Christmas is in the same light but at least the giving has still stuck around.

As a pagan I celebrate Samhain and Yule and other festival holidays where giving eating drinking and being in good spirits is a norm. So it doesnt bother me that gifts or treats are given on these holidays, though it does bother me that its become such a standard as such that it drowns out the origins of the holidays for a lot of people. Now for people who are not overly religious it probably doesnt bother them, but for some that want to remember what the holidays are about its rough seeing the newer generations grow up thinking that these days only represent gift giving.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."




*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote: Now for people who are not overly religious it probably doesnt bother them, but for some that want to remember what the holidays are about its rough seeing the newer generations grow up thinking that these days only represent gift giving.
Then make it a point to find ways to show what it means to you. I mean, if you have total faith in what you believe, then why should it bother you if others have the opposite view of such things?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Locked