What is everyone's religion???

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:18 pm

I dont practice but I have studied Wicca and anyone who knows the rede even the most beginner to it knows that the craft is not used to harm others. I believe the 3 folds rule also applies to that, when you try to use energy towards the negative or to harm others it will come back at you if not 3 fold but just as bad. I love how tv portrays religions period, its just like their portrails of mental illness, anything to get a dramatic effect at the expense of truth. Ive been to plenty gatherings as ive learned the ways of wiccan rituals and ive never seen any of these dark magik groups that get portrayed on tv. In fact you hardly see any of the dark emo kids or any of those normally cartoonish type characters their either. Most especially the older people were colorful clothes pray chant eat and drink sing and dance its a very nice spiritual event. I dunno I guess I take alot of what I see on tv for what it is, useless sensationalism. [/list]
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:21 pm

hm...good point. there are movies out there that point out all the bad sides of millitant fanatic christians, so I guess that it isn't completely one sided. I was just curious to how people with that belief sytem felt about the movie.

edit: I guess I wrote my post at the same time you posted yours Senshi_of_Vision. TV is Hollywood so I guess it shouldn't be taken seriously and only seen as a medium of entertainment. I just know that people soetimes get pretty offended at what is shown on TV.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:57 am

Passions55 wrote:hm...good point. there are movies out there that point out all the bad sides of millitant fanatic christians, so I guess that it isn't completely one sided. I was just curious to how people with that belief sytem felt about the movie.

edit: I guess I wrote my post at the same time you posted yours Senshi_of_Vision. TV is Hollywood so I guess it shouldn't be taken seriously and only seen as a medium of entertainment. I just know that people soetimes get pretty offended at what is shown on TV.
I am a Wiccan, and I have to admit that the way we get portrayed on TV like that does offend me a little. No religion is perfect, and every religion does have their extremists. It's also for that reason that I don't let it bother me too much (that, and the fact that the people who write the scripts for these movies don't know a whole lot about it themselves. They may only know what they read from a couple of books and websites.) Anyone who claims the Wiccan faith and then turns around and uses it to hurt people is not a true Wiccan to me.

And yes, Wicca is a religion recognized by the United States Government. It's tax-exempt and all that just like every other religion that the Government recognizes.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:11 am

You know as of late I've come to have a small concern when it comes to the Catholic church. When you are small and you go to CCD and children are taught their religion you go through certain stages before you ultimately go for your what is called your "confirmation" and you are confirmed into the catholic faith. When you are confirmed you are officially a Catholic and in this Confirmation you are saying that you have chosen the Catholic faith as the faith you want to follow. That is a very big decision and one that should not be taken lightly, and one that requires (if you take it seriously) alot of consideration and thought before making that decision to be confirmed as a Catholic and saying that that is the faith you want to follow.

My problem is I think the Catholic church has young people getting confirmed to young where they don't really know the magnitude of what they are agreeing to and are not taking it as seriously as it should be taken. Also, I don't think the age group that they have set to have for kids to make the confirmation is the right one because most of them are to young and with to little life experience to know if that is what they want. And when that happens you get kids who make their confirmation and then decide some way down the road that they don't like Catholicism and don't want to be in apart of that faith any more, when they have already pledged before God that they would.

When I made my confirmation, I was a senior in High School, I was seventeen (or maybe I was eighteen) and then I am only just figuring out what my spiritual priorities are and what it really means to be Catholic. I still want to be Catholic and I agree with it's principles but really i wish that i could have been able to wait until I was older (like my age right now) before making my confirmation, since now I think I have more awareness of my self and my beliefs than when i was a teenager in High School. I really think the Catholic church needs to stop pushing back the age of when kids get confirmed. My little sister is fourteen and she just made her confirmation last year when she was in eighth grade along with all the other little fourteen year old I don't think they at that age are old enough or have enough awareness of what path they want to take in their faith to jump right ahead and be confirmed and say that want to be permanently a Catholic. The way they are doing it I think teenagers are just doing it because they have too and not because they really want too and then they don't take it seriously after wards.

I'm not going against the Church in any I just think that the church needs to rethink the age group that they have set to have these teens become confirmed into the Catholic faith.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:32 pm

Passions55 wrote:You know as of late I've come to have a small concern when it comes to the Catholic church. When you are small and you go to CCD and children are taught their religion you go through certain stages before you ultimately go for your what is called your "confirmation" and you are confirmed into the catholic faith. When you are confirmed you are officially a Catholic and in this Confirmation you are saying that you have chosen the Catholic faith as the faith you want to follow. That is a very big decision and one that should not be taken lightly, and one that requires (if you take it seriously) alot of consideration and thought before making that decision to be confirmed as a Catholic and saying that that is the faith you want to follow.

My problem is I think the Catholic church has young people getting confirmed to young where they don't really know the magnitude of what they are agreeing to and are not taking it as seriously as it should be taken. Also, I don't think the age group that they have set to have for kids to make the confirmation is the right one because most of them are to young and with to little life experience to know if that is what they want. And when that happens you get kids who make their confirmation and then decide some way down the road that they don't like Catholicism and don't want to be in apart of that faith any more, when they have already pledged before God that they would.

When I made my confirmation, I was a senior in High School, I was seventeen (or maybe I was eighteen) and then I am only just figuring out what my spiritual priorities are and what it really means to be Catholic. I still want to be Catholic and I agree with it's principles but really i wish that i could have been able to wait until I was older (like my age right now) before making my confirmation, since now I think I have more awareness of my self and my beliefs than when i was a teenager in High School. I really think the Catholic church needs to stop pushing back the age of when kids get confirmed. My little sister is fourteen and she just made her confirmation last year when she was in eighth grade along with all the other little fourteen year old I don't think they at that age are old enough or have enough awareness of what path they want to take in their faith to jump right ahead and be confirmed and say that want to be permanently a Catholic. The way they are doing it I think teenagers are just doing it because they have too and not because they really want too and then they don't take it seriously after wards.

I'm not going against the Church in any I just think that the church needs to rethink the age group that they have set to have these teens become confirmed into the Catholic faith.
I completely agree 100%, and I went to a Catholic elementary school. I received my confirmation when I was in 8th grade (13 years old), but lately I feel as if it was too soon, not just for me but for a few others. Today I feel that this is the religion for me, but at the time I don't think I fully embraced or understood a lot of what it really means to be Catholic; I did it because I was told to by the administration, because my peers were also doing it, etc, and I could tell that a lot of the kids were probably in the same boat. This eventually leads to the kids breaking away from the Church in a rather..."immature" manner, that is, they leave not necessarily because they don't believe, but moreso because they felt "forced" into making the choice.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:34 pm

I have a question for those who are Catholic, becuase I know next to nothing about the religion, and I'm curious while reading about confirmation.

If you are confirmed to the Catholic Church, regardless of what age, what does that mean in regards to later down the road switching to another religion? Do you have to go through something to "get out of" being Cathoilic if, say, you decide being a Baptist is more your path, or can you just switch over withou ta problem? How much does being confirmed actually impact your status/membership to the religion?

That said, I agree with the both of you...those ages seem a little early to be confirmed.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:44 pm

Tiff wrote:I have a question for those who are Catholic, becuase I know next to nothing about the religion, and I'm curious while reading about confirmation.

If you are confirmed to the Catholic Church, regardless of what age, what does that mean in regards to later down the road switching to another religion? Do you have to go through something to "get out of" being Cathoilic if, say, you decide being a Baptist is more your path, or can you just switch over withou ta problem? How much does being confirmed actually impact your status/membership to the religion?

That said, I agree with the both of you...those ages seem a little early to be confirmed.
That's a very good question, and not something covered during normal day-to-day dealings with the church, I'd imagine XD I really have no idea what you have to do in terms of "leaving" the Catholic Church; that'd have to be something discussed with your pastor or even the archbishop of your area.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:51 pm

Starscream wrote:
That's a very good question, and not something covered during normal day-to-day dealings with the church, I'd imagine XD I really have no idea what you have to do in terms of "leaving" the Catholic Church; that'd have to be something discussed with your pastor or even the archbishop of your area.
XD Ah, well, thanks for the input!

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Tiff
I have a question for those who are Catholic, becuase I know next to nothing about the religion, and I'm curious while reading about confirmation.

I don't know if this answers your question, but I remember hearing Conformation being compared to a Bar Mitzvah. Basically you're becoming an adult in the church (plus they both happen around the same age).
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:05 pm

Tiff: There is no real way to "leave" the Catholic Church. You can withdraw membership from an individual parish, but there is no process for renouncing your faith.
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:45 am

Jeff wrote:Personally, I'd be surprised to hear that anybody learned anything worthwhile from CCD or a parochial school in this country.
Learning in regards to catechism, secular education, or both? I'll admit that what I learned specifically about the Church is lost to me now - that is, I can't remember being taught the specifics, but I know of many of them - but the secular part of my education was pretty good, for the most part, and I've had many teachers in my elementary and high schools (the latter was also run by a Catholic group) that were extraordinary.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:01 am

[berh
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 am

according to a catholic friend of mine the catholic church consideres everyone in the world to be a member reguardless of what they themselves think unless they have been excommunicated. So basically the way to leave is to get excommunicated. not sure how to do that exactly though.

I dont know if this is true or not
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:36 pm

I'm an apathetic agnostic.

It means (for those who don't know) that I believe there is no proof of God existing but if he does exist, I believe he doesn't care about the planet or its inhbitants.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:01 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:according to a catholic friend of mine the catholic church consideres everyone in the world to be a member reguardless of what they themselves think unless they have been excommunicated. So basically the way to leave is to get excommunicated. not sure how to do that exactly though.

I dont know if this is true or not
Yeah, it's not. People excommunicate themselves; it's pretty rare for a person to be officially excommunicated. And they definitely don't consider all people to be members of the Church.
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:19 pm

I wonder if any one went to any festivals or gatherings for Samhain tonight? My tush is too tired to though I wish I had it in me. I cannot wait till my son is abit older so I can bring him to one.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:25 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:I wonder if any one went to any festivals or gatherings for Samhain tonight? My tush is too tired to though I wish I had it in me. I cannot wait till my son is abit older so I can bring him to one.
I did. It was kind of a last minute thing between me and two of my friends though, so there were only the three of us altogether.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:40 pm

jupiter23 wrote:
Senshi_of_Vision wrote:I wonder if any one went to any festivals or gatherings for Samhain tonight? My tush is too tired to though I wish I had it in me. I cannot wait till my son is abit older so I can bring him to one.
I did. It was kind of a last minute thing between me and two of my friends though, so there were only the three of us altogether.
Its good ya got to have one though I bet it was still very spiritual for you guys. They dont have really big gatherings here in SC either. Though where I used to live in Florida there was a decent size group that held bigger fests. I found a small group here but they understood that I was too tired after taking the kids out trick or treating. Im hoping that I can go when they have their Yule fest that will be nice.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:26 pm

I found this fun online quiz over at Ex-christian.net: http://exchristian.net/3/ This quiz is so made of win because it's impossible for anyone to pass it. :twisted:
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:32 pm

I guess the bible contradicts itself a lot.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!