What is everyone's religion???

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:54 pm

DreamEmpress wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how many crazy ideas are passed around about us. Especially ones that make us sound like demons from the depths of heck.
-_-;;; Indeed. Indeed. You should hear some of the stories I have...

TBA

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:37 pm

AnimeGuru0 wrote:
DreamEmpress wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how many crazy ideas are passed around about us. Especially ones that make us sound like demons from the depths of heck.
-_-;;; Indeed. Indeed. You should hear some of the stories I have...
me too. my psycho-christian friend went on a huge rant on how horrible mormens are, how screwed up their religion is, and all this other crap. i nearly ended up punching her in the face, she was being so mean. i think everyone should get the hell over themselves and accept people no matter what they belive.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:22 pm

I was raised a Roman Catholic, and I do attend church occassionally, though I don't have time to go because I'm very busy at this moment.

Of course, I'm not a hard-line Catholic.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Starlight_Angel7
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Starlight_Angel7 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:23 pm

Hey. I'm new here. i'm a hard core Mormon1 lol!! And proud of it! I absolutly love my faith to death!! I love being LDS! You learn alot of valuble things that you can use everyday. :D

I'm a member of two other sailor moon forums. lol!!

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:30 pm

Starlight_Angel7 wrote:Hey. I'm new here. i'm a hard core Mormon1 lol!! And proud of it! I absolutly love my faith to death!! I love being LDS! You learn alot of valuble things that you can use everyday. :D

I'm a member of two other sailor moon forums. lol!!
*MOD MODE*

Starlight_Angel7, please enter your birthday into your profile immediately. Thank you.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:48 pm

rwgrwgrwgrg
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkKingdomFan
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by DarkKingdomFan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:27 pm

I consider myself to be a Taoist (I believe in chi, ying yang, feng shui, anarchasim, etc). I also believe in nonviolence like Buddhists do and in reincarnation like Hindus believe in. I don't believe in Hell (Jewish belief) and I believe in animal rights and protecting the environment which is a belief in many religions and I'm also an animist (I believe everything - blankets, snowflakes, plants - have souls). So I'm just a little of everything.

ilostmysocks2day
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by ilostmysocks2day » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:21 pm

I'm also Mormon.

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:48 am

I usually don't like to resurrect old threads, but this one was interesting to me while also showing folks retain respect for one another. :)

I've been through a couple religious paths. As a kid (until age 7) I went to a Lutheran school and thought myself Lutheran. For the longest time, I thought of myself as nondenominational, mainly because I lacked a better description of my beliefs. However, after someone tried to convince me to convert to Christianity, I finally got to thinking, and it made me realize what I am.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/humanism1.htm

I don't follow a religion, per se, as my beliefs are not those of a religion, more of a life philosophy. However, I do believe in letting bygones be bygones, and if you respect me and allow me to practice my philosophy in peace, I'll do the same for your beliefs.

...Though my only nitpick with the Humanist manifesto provided on that link is the idea that humans are "Supreme". It's more my own hang-up over calling anyone "supreme" or "superior" to anyone/thing else. I also believe that a person cannot learn everything life has to offer in one lifetime; that s/he must live a number of lifetimes (reincarnation) in order to understand life.

If anyone is curious about Humanism or my own personal beliefs, I'm always willing to discuss them, if such discussion remains respectful. Just PM me or reply here. :)

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:26 pm

I am Roman Catholic and even though I'm not as diligent in attending church as I should (mostly because I work every Sunday) I still believe strongly in its fundamentals and its teachings and try to weigh my descions based on those fundamentals. I do find certain aspects of my religion hard to follow since it conflicts with modern society and I feel badly when I slip up. However I'm not so narrow minded that I can't enjoy or appreciate things that are not strictly catholic. Like for instance I enjoy anime very much, and I had a class mate confront me on how I can watch anime and be a Catholic at the same time. Well I believe that there is a difference between entertainment and beliefs. I don't watch Sailor Moon or Inuyahsa and get some kind of religious inspiration out of it and I don't watch it to worship it. Its just a form of entertainment that I happen to enjoy that comes from a different culture with different beliefs. Although admittedly I stay away from such animes that directly make fun of Christianity or those that just make me feel uncomfortable with its content.

My only real issue with the Roman Catholics views is that regarding suicide. Some how I just feel very strongly against the belief that any one that kills them self is going to burn in hell. I had a friend in Junior high that was picked on and tormented and humiliated on a daily basis at school by other kids. I remember how miserable and hurt she always was because of the abuse she put up with and she killed her self on day. She was only fourteen, and some how I have a very hard time believing that some one that was tormented and hurt enough to take their own life would be turned away by God and cast into a hell. I like to think that my friend is at peace right now instead of still suffering. So that why I have a problem with the Catholics stance on suicide.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:44 pm

I am sorry to hear of your friend, Passions. Having been in a similar position as she was when I was that age, I have an inkling of what she must have gone through day in and day out. I was fortunate, but I know not everyone can get through such things easily. While I don't believe in prayer myself, I am sending good thoughts out in your friend's memory.

And I agree with you on the whole suicide thing. I've thought it ever since I saw the film What Dreams May Come back in '98. It always bugs me that a "benevolent" Creator would turn his/her back on one of his/her children simple because they didn't die a "natural" death. After what they must have suffered to reach that point in their lives where they consider suicide, what kind of Creator would only prolong their suffering?

On the whole religions thing, just an outsider's observation. It seems to me like a lot of the problems people seem to have with/in religions is due to the conflicts that arise as these religions have been brought into the modern era. These are religions that were founded thousands of years ago under very different circumstances and ways of life than we have now. Plus, there didn't seem to be as much contact between many religions at that time due to location and logistics (though there are a few exceptions to that), whereas now we have so many ways to connect in the world -both travel and otherwise- that different religions/psychologies/ways of life are in contact at all times. And inevitably, there will be some strife involved in that conflict.

...But that's just how I see it. (Hope it made sense! I tend to get on these Philosophical bends and go off and make little sense! ^^;; )

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:17 am

I think that the Catholic church is changing its view on their idea of suicide. It used to be that you couldn't have a funeral for a person that commited suicide. Now they can. Recently, a terrible event happened around where I live. A mother killed her two children and then commited suicide right after. Her older daughter found them hours later. They had a separate funeral for her children and they had hers the day later. The woman was probably crazy and wasn't fully aware what she was doing.

And most people who are suicidal don't actually want to die. They just want the pain to stop. I think God would be very compassionate towards those people.

I am Catholic too. I do think the church needs to reform some of its beliefs. Many of the laws in the bible would have made sense thousands of years ago do not make much sense today. I highly doubt we'll be seeing that in the near future though.

And I don't see how liking anime has anything to do with going against Christianity. They're just cartoons. Well unless your absoultely down right worshiping it. XD In which case, I wouldn't want to hang around those people XD. Although I have met some pretty crazy people at cons. I've met girls that write NC17 fanfiction pairing themselve with their favorite hawt bishi and one I met was actually depressed because she'll never actually meet him :O.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:23 pm

I wrote about a year ago in this thread, saying that I wasn't content with my catholic religion and planned on experimenting with religion when I was older. Shortly after, I stopped attending church. I haven't been to church for about year now, and although it's caused fights with my parents, I've held my ground. Since then, I've considered myself officially agnostic until I found a religion that suits me.
Well, when I said I would wait until I was older, I meant I'd wait until I was out of the house, independant, ect. I didn't think I would discover a religion that felt right, or be able to commit myself to it, until then. But as I also wrote a year ago, I'd been thinking about Wicca. These days, I've been thinking more and more about Wicca. I've been doing research, reading books and going to Wiccan websites and stuff. And I think I've found my religion.
Most of Wiccan beliefs are things I've always believed in (the energy and power of nature, karma and the law of three, that you can decide what you believe by yourself, ect). I just never knew it was an actual religion, or that it fit me so well. I'm not saying that I'm Wiccan though. I've decided to commit myself to studying and learning more before I decide for sure. But I haven't ever even told anyone that I was considering Wicca, and I just wanted to get it off my chest here first :]

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:46 pm

the*blue*girl wrote:I wrote about a year ago in this thread, saying that I wasn't content with my catholic religion and planned on experimenting with religion when I was older. Shortly after, I stopped attending church. I haven't been to church for about year now, and although it's caused fights with my parents, I've held my ground. Since then, I've considered myself officially agnostic until I found a religion that suits me.
Well, when I said I would wait until I was older, I meant I'd wait until I was out of the house, independant, ect. I didn't think I would discover a religion that felt right, or be able to commit myself to it, until then. But as I also wrote a year ago, I'd been thinking about Wicca. These days, I've been thinking more and more about Wicca. I've been doing research, reading books and going to Wiccan websites and stuff. And I think I've found my religion.
Most of Wiccan beliefs are things I've always believed in (the energy and power of nature, karma and the law of three, that you can decide what you believe by yourself, ect). I just never knew it was an actual religion, or that it fit me so well. I'm not saying that I'm Wiccan though. I've decided to commit myself to studying and learning more before I decide for sure. But I haven't ever even told anyone that I was considering Wicca, and I just wanted to get it off my chest here first :]
If you're considering becoming a Wiccan, then I advise you to be careful about how you go about discussing it with people. It is a federally recognized religion, however amongst those that do know what it is there are those that believe it's no better than worshipping Satan and you'll probably catch some crap from people about it. I don't say this in an effort to turn you away from it, just to make you aware of how people might take it if you go down this path. I'm a Wiccan, and if you need to discuss anything or don't quite understand something then feel free to PM me. I do also advise you to keep doing your homework until you decide for certain, because Wicca is also a pretty dedicated religion.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:59 am

Thats true Jupiter23 its why I do not classify myself as wiccan because I do not currently practice and can honestly say do not follow the rede well yet. I classify my religious belief to be Eclectic Pagan. I dont follow a structured set of believes only a faith in god and a strong belief in the supernatural the cosmos and its tie to mankind. Because of my belief and my talismans that I wear and living in the south I am under constant scruntiny by people who assume that I worship the devil. They get rather upset when I tell them id have to be of one of the christian based faiths to do that since my belief is that Satan and Hell was the product of old world religious power seekers that used these "Evil" minions to make sure that the poorer uneducated people followed their doctrine. While I will not say that there is no devil because I personally try not to discredit things because "I cant see them" I do not let fear of seeing sad devil mar my path in live.

Also I do not think I could raise my child to fear the supposed effect of a negative afterlife either which is another part of my faith. I believe that everything you do in life gets a reaction but things like sexuality, how you treat your body (ie body work or tattoos or piercing) and other nonsensical things will not make you burn in hell. And if a person who simply loves someone who is of the same sex or cannot take life to the point where they are forced to take their own has to suffer the same fate as rapist, murders and those who delibrately cause suffering then I dont want any parts of the "Heaven" that people who believe these people shouldnt be allowed in are apart of.

I try to keep myself neutral in my religious belief, open to study aspects of different faiths and if it can be done merging some of them into my own daily rituals. But I can honestly say that I take most religious tomes such as the bible, Torah and Koran to be nothing but study aides to religion and not books to be taken literally which many do. And while I believe in the supernatural I think "men" are generally too skeptical to truly harness any true powers so I cannot fully commit myself to the true studies of craft and ritual magik because of it. I know in my mind while I strongly believe in somethings that being raised cynical that my logic would get in the way of any true understanding of that subject.

I dont think I could ever find a way to be agnostic, I do not want to believe we were all just some scientific driven cosmic accident. I do not want to think that my soul has no place to go when I die, but I do not wish to spend my "life" not enjoying certain aspects of it for fear that I will burn eternally with people who are far worst. My belief is that god in the early days had a large role in the everyday lives of his children, but as men formed more "Intelligent" theories he decided to stop personally influencing the masses and let us figure things out on our own. I think he still gives some who have the power to make their voices heard spiritual gifts and allows us to use our intelligence to weed out those who falsely proclaim to have such gifts. And I truly belief due to my own personal experiances that he does find ways to communicate with those at the end of their ropes hence why alot of people with mental issues claim to have spoken with him or have recieved visions from him. I know in several emotional states I have recieved what I thought to be premonitions some of which have happened. Though I would never claim myself to be psychic.

either way ive gone on enough about my beliefs I didnt know if I had originally wanted to post to this topic being how alot of people still take the term Pagan and associate it with everything it is not.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:23 pm

jupiter23 wrote:
the*blue*girl wrote:I wrote about a year ago in this thread, saying that I wasn't content with my catholic religion and planned on experimenting with religion when I was older. Shortly after, I stopped attending church. I haven't been to church for about year now, and although it's caused fights with my parents, I've held my ground. Since then, I've considered myself officially agnostic until I found a religion that suits me.
If you're considering becoming a Wiccan, then I advise you to be careful about how you go about discussing it with people. It is a federally recognized religion, however amongst those that do know what it is there are those that believe it's no better than worshipping Satan and you'll probably catch some crap from people about it. I don't say this in an effort to turn you away from it, just to make you aware of how people might take it if you go down this path. I'm a Wiccan, and if you need to discuss anything or don't quite understand something then feel free to PM me. I do also advise you to keep doing your homework until you decide for certain, because Wicca is also a pretty dedicated religion.
-nodnod- That's why I haven't told anyone yet. The first time I ever expressed interest in Wicca (I must have been 10 or 11), my mom immediantly told me it was "bad". I asked her why, she said because it just is. Because I was young I just rolled my eyes and dropped it. I've never brought up the subject with anyone again.
Thanks for your offer, I'll keep it in mind :] I've definately been doing my homework, and I plan on doing more for a while before I make any firm decisions.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:29 am

I guess I should post an update on my religious beliefs. I officially have stopped believing in the bible and I now consider myself to be agnostic. I was unsure about my beliefs for a long while now, but having spent more time studying the bible, I've just found that the bible has too many contradictions in it for me to accept it as the word of God and I think the biblical concept of God itself is contradictory. I still believe that there's a possibility that a god(dess) could exist but I just don't believe in religions in general anymore because I think it's impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God, although I have been attempting to read the entire bible and I'd like to read the Qur'an one day if only because I don't know much about Islamic religious beliefs and I'd like to educate myself on it more even if I have no interest in converting myself. It's odd that I have more interest in learning about religion in general as an agnostic now than I did when I was a Christian.

I don't know if heaven or hell is real or not but I'm not worried about it or death itself. After all, we were dead before we were born and it hasn't caused us to worry about it, so why should I worry about death? And I think death helps give meaning to life and gives importance to value and time. I think if we had too much of life, time would become meaningless. Even if heaven or hell isn't real, I don't think it would be so bad because our bodies would still become nutrients for the earth, which in turn would help make the plants grow. The plants would provide food for animals and the animals would provide food for humans. So even if there is no heaven or hell, our bodies still will be helping to preserve the continuation of the Earth, which I personally find to be more comforting and inspiring than spending my life worrying if I'm going to hell or not.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:48 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I guess I should post an update on my religious beliefs. I officially have stopped believing in the bible and I now consider myself to be agnostic. I was unsure about my beliefs for a long while now, but having spent more time studying the bible, I've just found that the bible has too many contradictions in it for me to accept it as the word of God and I think the biblical concept of God itself is contradictory. I still believe that there's a possibility that a god(dess) could exist but I just don't believe in religions in general anymore because I think it's impossible to prove or disprove the existence of God, although I have been attempting to read the entire bible and I'd like to read the Qur'an one day if only because I don't know much about Islamic religious beliefs and I'd like to educate myself on it more even if I have no interest in converting myself. It's odd that I have more interest in learning about religion in general as an agnostic now than I did when I was a Christian.

I don't know if heaven or hell is real or not but I'm not worried about it or death itself. After all, we were dead before we were born and it hasn't caused us to worry about it, so why should I worry about death? And I think death helps give meaning to life and gives importance to value and time. I think if we had too much of life, time would become meaningless. Even if heaven or hell isn't real, I don't think it would be so bad because our bodies would still become nutrients for the earth, which in turn would help make the plants grow. The plants would provide food for animals and the animals would provide food for humans. So even if there is no heaven or hell, our bodies still will be helping to preserve the continuation of the Earth, which I personally find to be more comforting and inspiring than spending my life worrying if I'm going to hell or not.
That is exactly how I feel CardCaptor Takato ^_^
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:12 pm

I have a question for the people on here that follows the wicca religion (is it a religion? I'm not to sure) but not to long ago on LifeTime television they had a two part movie called The Gathering involving a bunch of miltant wiccans who where portrayed as practicing very harmful acts to hurt people to advance their beliefs and waging a sort of war on the Christian Faith. Their belif system was portrayed very negatively as a bunch of of cut-throats that killed people in horriable ways useing magic and had very demonic attributes in their methods.

And I was wondering if any one out here who practises wicca was offended or annoyed at how the Wicca belief was portrayed in that movie.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:15 pm

Passions55 wrote:I have a question for the people on here that follows the wicca religion (is it a religion? I'm not to sure) but not to long ago on LifeTime television they had a two part movie called The Gathering involving a bunch of miltant wiccans who where portrayed as practicing very harmful acts to hurt people to advance their beliefs and waging a sort of war on the Christian Faith. Their belif system was portrayed very negatively as a bunch of of cut-throats that killed people in horriable ways useing magic and had very demonic attributes in their methods.

And I was wondering if any one out here who practises wicca was offended or annoyed at how the Wicca belief was portrayed in that movie.
Yes, it's classified as a religion, as far as I know.

And I'm sure the intention of the moviemakers wasn't to paint all of Wicca in that manner. If there IS such a thing as Militant Wiccans, then how is showing a movie based on fact bad-mouthing other wiccans? *Shrugs* it's no different than bashing extremely fundamentalist Christians and such. It doesn't mean they're painting ALL Christians that way, etc.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~