What is everyone's religion???

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:37 am

Well, I guess I'd be Christian. I'm not exactly sure aobut Jesus being the son of god, but it's true that he existed. I was raised Lutheran, or went to a lutheran church at least. My dad was raised Catholic so... he's not anymore. My dad would probably be an atheist, I'm not exactly sure. I havent' gone to church in years, and I'm content that way. *shrug*
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:42 am

We believe in Jesus as Prophet, though not as the son of God, but as an example for his followers. Is that close to how you see him?

Most of my friends are atheist, one's Catholic and one's Muslim.
My Art - My LiveJournal

Zeta from Bulbagarden. xD
>>>Lucario learns a move called "Tonbogaeri". This is a move in Judo feauturing a kick to the groin. Yes, they''ve actually made "Kick Him in the Nuts" an attack. It should SO do 150% more damage to male Pokemon. XD

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:37 pm

I want to add something. My religion usually portrays God as a male. Well, God isn't supposed to have a gender. I tend to have a female image of God. It's too hard for me to imagine something or someone as sexless. I guess my real image of God, well it's kind of abstract. I picture a dark room with a very bright light shining in it. That probably doesn't make any sense, but I think the concept of God is much too complicated for humans to understand.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:46 pm

Rin wrote:I want to add something. My religion usually portrays God as a male. Well, God isn't supposed to have a gender. I tend to have a female image of God. It's too hard for me to imagine something or someone as sexless. I guess my real image of God, well it's kind of abstract. I picture a dark room with a very bright light shining in it. That probably doesn't make any sense, but I think the concept of God is much too complicated for humans to understand.
Don't take what I'm about to say as me "correcting" your view of God. I'm not commenting on YOUR opinion of what God is, rather a general Judeo-Christian commentary of what God is. Just wanted to throw that out before I started because everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and ideas on who/what God is and I didn't want there to be a misunderstanding ^^.

As far as Judeo-Christian cultures are concerned, God is male, or takes upon himself male characteristics. He is many times referred to as "Him", "Father", "He" etc and never referred to as female. The Hebrew is also more specific in his male identity. Anywho, so according to The Old Testament, yes, the God of Judiasm, Christianity, and Islam is male. However there might be sects of these three movements that might not believe God has gender.

Sorry, just throwing out random factoids out there ^^

TBA

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:23 pm

-nitpick-
The Quran uses he because Arabic is gendered and everything is he or she. The table is a she, the tree is a she, the plate is a he...
He is never called Lord or Father, though he is called he. Adding human characteristics to him is actually considered a sin in Islam.
My Art - My LiveJournal

>>>Lucario learns a move called "Tonbogaeri". This is a move in Judo feauturing a kick to the groin. Yes, they''ve actually made "Kick Him in the Nuts" an attack. It should SO do 150% more damage to male Pokemon. XD

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:28 pm

Musashi
The Quran uses he because Arabic is gendered and everything is he or she. The table is a she, the tree is a she, the plate is a he...
That's cool. I didn't know that. I only thought it was languages like French and similar ones that did that.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:48 pm

Musashi wrote:-nitpick-
He is never called Lord or Father, though he is called he. Adding human characteristics to him is actually considered a sin in Islam.
-double nitpick-

Islam is a religion with Judiasm at its base, and in the Hebrew God is referred to as a He. Thus, it should carry over, unless somewhere else it explicitly says that this was a misinterpretation or false translation or something (which is possible, i'm not an expert on Islam).

Also, just of note, giving human characteristics to God is a sin in Islam? That doesn't make sense to me because of the creation story where it says "Man was created in God's image." Unless in Islam there is a different interpretation of the creation story, or again, another place where it explicitly says that this part of the creation story was a misinterpretation or false translation or something (again, possible.)

TBA

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:52 pm

>>>Unless in Islam there is a different interpretation of the creation story

Bingo.

Yeah, we don't believe that man was created in God's image and that God doesn't look like any of his creations.
My Art - My LiveJournal

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Musashi wrote:>>>Unless in Islam there is a different interpretation of the creation story

Bingo.

Yeah, we don't believe that man was created in God's image and that God doesn't look like any of his creations.
Ah, thank you for clarifying ^^

TBA

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:52 pm

Rivalee wrote:I'm born christian and confirmed, but I don't really believe in the bible or God. Instead, I believe in Gaia (the earth), the spirits of nature and supernatural stuff. I don't know if this is considered as a religion, but I always reply like this when people I chat with ask me (they sometimes think I'm a muslim because I'm still a virgin). Some of them thinks my belief is weird, while others finds it interesting.
What you described there sounds an awful lot like Shintoism, the indigenous religion of Japan for those that don't know. It's an animistic religion and that is most of what they believe (although they don't refer to the Earth as Gaia, she is Greek I believe).

To answer the question at hand, I'm a Wiccan. It makes more sense to me that there is both a male and female entity working there together, though my tradition teaches that they are working under the omnipotent force known as Akasha (what those of you who are Christian refer to as God) and that they work together to keep the universe in balance.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:29 pm

Musashi wrote:>>>Unless in Islam there is a different interpretation of the creation story

Bingo.

wow that I didnt know. I really outta read to Koran sometime.

Going with my belief system seeing another form of God might do me some good too.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:33 pm

I'm Roman Catholic. However, I'm not very religious. I hate going to Church, and I barely pray. I do believe strongely in God, that Jesus is the Messiah and life beyond this. My religion kind of annoys me, personally I think it's too strict and... forceful. It seems like everything is "DO THIS! OR YOU'LL BURN IN HELL!". But, my mom assures me not to worry stuff like that. Just to keep having faith in God, and to say my prayers. ^_^;

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:22 pm

Umino wrote:I'm Roman Catholic. However, I'm not very religious. I hate going to Church, and I barely pray. I do believe strongely in God, that Jesus is the Messiah and life beyond this. My religion kind of annoys me, personally I think it's too strict and... forceful. It seems like everything is "DO THIS! OR YOU'LL BURN IN HELL!". But, my mom assures me not to worry stuff like that. Just to keep having faith in God, and to say my prayers. ^_^;
ah yeah, thats kinda like me. especially the "too strict" part... thats why when im older, i plan to experiment with religion.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Dennis
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Dennis » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:25 pm

I am a Roman Catholic, been that way all my life.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:34 pm

Musashi wrote:We believe in Jesus as Prophet, though not as the son of God, but as an example for his followers. Is that close to how you see him?
I've always felt more comfortable with Jesus as a Prophet and a good human being than Jesus being the Son of God. There is just something inspirational about believing in a human with powerful insight than Jesus the son of God. It makes him feel real to me and it makes his teachings feel real. I mean - Whether or not Jesus was a Prophet or the Son of God, his teachings were powerful. I don't in anyway question that, but to look at him as simple human with extraordinary views makes his message even more powerful. I know it might not make much sense to other people, but that's the best way I can word it. >_>;

[Back on topic]
My mother is Wiccan and my dad is Christian. They've always encouraged us to believe in whatever we wanted to and said it was ok to believe in nothing all.

I don't really have a religion to speak of. I tend to lean into the disciplines found in Zen Buddhism, but I also believe deeply in the enlighting aspects of other religions. I try to take in and respect other religous beliefs and ideas even though I may not agree with it. I've actually gotten pretty good with the "accepting" part. I used to get my panties in a knot over stupid little things when it came to religion.

I'm pretty sure there is a higher power out there. I mean, I beleive there is a higher power, I'm just not sure if it's the God portrayed any of the God/Goddess worshipping religion. It could be completely different entity somewhere out there. It could be the same entity in every religion just interprated differently. :/ Who the hell knows for sure? Let us just live and be good people, people!
Last edited by Tempest on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:51 pm

Tempest wrote:I'm pretty sure there is a higher power out there. I mean, I beleive there is a higher power, I'm just not sure if it's the God portrayed any of the God/Goddess worshipping religion. It could be completely different entity somewhere out there. It could be the same entity in every religion just interprated differently. :/ Who the hell knows knows for sure? Let us just live and be good people, people!
Yeah, that pretty much sums up how I feel.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:03 pm

Time to put my money where my mouth is...or something. I'm not very good with such phrases (geh, and I can't even remember what the term for a phrase like that is ><)

I was born and raised Roman Catholic, and even attended elementary (Kindergarten through Grade 8) and high schools (Grades 9 - 12) that were run by Catholic groups. To this day, I still consider myself a Roman Catholic, and continue to believe in many of the basic tenants of my faith (Jesus as the Son of God, the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes, etc). I don't go to church or pray as often as I'd like, however, and for me this is a big issue. I like the closeness and connection to God I experience when I do these things, but sometimes I feel as if the rest of my worries are needlessly encroaching on that time. It might not seem like a big deal to many, but to me it hurts, and I really would like to try and get that relationship up and running again.

While I continue to believe strongly in the foundations of my faith, I tend to have issues with the human institution of the Church and what it has imposed upon its adherents (let's not get into Divine guidance here, please ^^; ); I have a strong disagreement with their attitudes about artificial insemination, same-sex marriage, and birth control, to name a few.

At the same time, though, I believe that the idea of God as proposed by the Bible and teachings is a mechanism by which the prophets and teachers of that time were trying to explain the great mysteries of the universe to us. Again, for me, there is no doubt that there is some greater force guiding the universe, but I doubt that God is really a big dude with a large flowing beard scolding us from Heaven. God's true nature is incomprehensible, and whether we are meant to have a full understanding of Him and His actions in THIS lifetime is unknown to me. Nevertheless, I understand and take solace in the comfort of the "personification" of God as a father-like figure; while it might not be accurate, it helps those who cannot (or will not) try and understand the workings of God and the universe as a whole, and for those who are content in that for themselves, more power to them.

EDIT: Added some detail.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:12 pm

I am a non-denominational Christian. I do not adhere to any specific group, like Baptist, Catholic, or Presbyterian. I believe in the Holy Trinity of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I also believe in good energies and bad energies that influence our daily lives, which most would call angels and devils.

While most of my perceptions of God are formed from the Bible, I do feel that there is a dimension of God left unexplained. I also think that there are aspects of the human soul and it's connection to the higher power that conventional Christianity doesn't fully cover. In fact, I doubt that the traditional teachings of my religion comprise even half of the overall spectrum.

I do refer to God as a male due to force of habit, but I don't really think God has much use for gender. Gender is a biological thing to me, not something that has any reflection on the spirit.

Even though I see myself as a Christian, I don't think that everyone who isn't a Christian is going to hell. I believe that aspects of my God are present in some form throughout many different religions, and that there is reward for anyone who practices morality and kindness in their lives. I see great value in other disciplines (science included), and I think that it's important to look at life through many different angles to truly grow in body, mind, and spirit.

I think I got a little long-winded there... ^_^;;
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

DistantMemory
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DistantMemory » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:47 pm

I was raised a Roman Catholic, but beliefs have been changing ever since around 7th or 8th grade. I think that there might be some form of higher power out there in the universe, but I don't spend a lot of time thinking about what it really might be because it confuses me. ^^;

HOWEVER, I do believe in afterlife and reincarnation. I also take a few beliefs from religions such as Buddhism and some Pagan religions.
"I want to go back to believing in everything and knowing nothing at all..."
~Evanescence, "Field of Innocence"

"I love you."
"WHAT!?! What did you say!?"
"Um, uh, olive juice!"
"...Olive juice?"
"*in a whisper* Olive juice you too!"
~Stewie and Brian, Family Guy, "The Tan Aquatic with Steve Zissou"

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:25 pm

Born and raised LDS (Latter-Day Saints aka Mormons). Currently still practicing.

My parents are fairly strong in the faith. I went till I was 20 and then took a couple years to find my own path. But I've been back now for almost 2 years. it's always been such a huge part of my life. And continues to be. I've even been filling a couple callings.

Even graduated early morning seminary and took some institute of religion classes.

As per the earlier question of if anyone feels they are misunderstood. Frankly I think we all feel that way. I know I do. It never ceases to amaze me how many crazy ideas are passed around about us. Especially ones that make us sound like demons from the depths of heck. It's annoying for anyone.