What is everyone's religion???

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:43 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA.
Contact:

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:17 pm

Tiff wrote:Well, if you aren't a religious person, then Christmas is merely a holiday for getting together with people you care about, exchanging gifts, and eating food. That's basically all it's ever been for me, since I don't come from a religious family, and I myself am not religious. My husband is the same way.
I agree with this and I think holidays are about what you make them be to you. And holidays are something that mean different things to different people and we can't expect everyone to have the same ideals as to what the holidays should be about. I think as long as people are happy and enjoying themselves, that's what most important at least to me.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

User avatar
Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:49 am
Location: USA

Post by Passions55 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:51 pm

I thought I should put this here instead of making a whole new thread. The pope speaks about organ transplants

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-sc ... ANSPLANTS/
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
_______________________

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

User avatar
Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 1545
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Post by Starscream » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Again, this thread isn't for talking about what various religious leaders have to say on various aspects of human life; in other words, let's not use this thread as a basis for starting debates on what the Catholic Church (or any other religious institution, for that matter) believes with regards to topics like this.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

User avatar
Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:49 am
Location: USA

Post by Passions55 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:40 pm

you know I have alot of respect for other people beliefs and other people's religions--as long as they respect mine.

This past weekend I got in a situation that really left me feeling...betrayed by a close friend of mine. I have a friend who is protestant, she is very aggressively passionate about her beliefs. I'm Roman Catholic and I'm pretty dedicated to my beliefs, but I am open minded enough to accept others views on Christianity and God and our salvation. And I understand and totally accept that Catholics have their own belief system and protestants have theirs. Occasionally my friend and have even had some deep conversations about God and religion and even debated a bit.

What I do have a problem with though and I've had to speak up because of this, is my beliefs as a Catholic are wrong and being put down because of them. I never put her beliefs as a Protestant down even if I don't agree with them. But yet on occasion she has felt the need to almost attack me about them and make some close minded remarks. It got to the point that I started to feel uncomfortable with it and our friendship was getting strained, so we both agreed to keep our religious beliefs separate from our friendship. And I thought we where cool about it.

However this past Sunday we made plans together to go to break-fest and then to the mall. And I thought that was all of it. We where going in her car, and I thought we where just going to go straight to break-fest but she pulled into her church parking lot. I asked why we where here and she said she wanted to go to church first, I was like whatever I don't mind sitting through a sermon, and we went in. And the service was actually very pleasant and I actually enjoyed it.

After the service was done every one in the congregation piled into a room where the minister was and every one was talking and it was nice that every one seemed to know each other and every one was curious about me and very pleasant. Then--I don't know why my friend felt the need to do this, she announces to the whole congregation that I was Catholic. Like that made any sort of difference.

My word, I think I would have have gotten a less sever reaction if I was Bush walking around down town Iraq. Every one that was being pleasant to me suddenly started saying these really rude stuff to me. I was standing in a room with a whole lot of people shooting questions at me and challenging me this Catholic belief and that Catholic belief. It was an ambush. I was freakin' ambushed! I was trying to be civil and just brush off everything that was being said with my typical "you believe how ever way you believe and I'll believe mine". And that just seemed to add fuel to the fire. I was really shaken. I was completely caught off guard. And these people where getting pretty hostile with me. I was a freakin' spectacle and these people where really upsetting me.

When I finally got out of there I was so angry I was almost crying. I yelled at my friend why the hell she told them I was Catholic and we got into a big fight. Later she admitted she did it on purpose because she thought that her congregation could change my thinking. :evil: . What the hell! Did she really think putting me up to scrutiny and getting verbally ripped apart would change my thinking? I can't even describe how I feel right now. I feel hurt and betrayed. She really can't accept that I have different beliefs than her!

And I can't believe that these people who call them selves God's people could be so cruel and nasty to someone. I didn't deserve this. I feel like my trust was stomped on and taken advantage of. I don't know how to react or how to feel about this. Maybe I brought this on my self by even going, but I never thought I would be treated this way. I'm just so angry and confused right now. You have know idea. :cry:
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
_______________________

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

User avatar
jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 811
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Southeast Louisiana

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:31 am

Your friend had no right to do that to you, and the fact that she pretty much threw you into a pit of cobras makes it sound like she had no interest in maintaining your friendship unless it was on her terms. I'd go talk to the preacher of her church and tell him/her how that made you feel. If they take their job seriously at all, they'll listen to you and try to talk to their congregation, or at least your friend, about what they did to you.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

User avatar
Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:35 pm

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 am

Passions55 wrote:you know I have alot of respect for other people beliefs and other people's religions--as long as they respect mine.

This past weekend I got in a situation that really left me feeling...betrayed by a close friend of mine. I have a friend who is protestant, she is very aggressively passionate about her beliefs. I'm Roman Catholic and I'm pretty dedicated to my beliefs, but I am open minded enough to accept others views on Christianity and God and our salvation. And I understand and totally accept that Catholics have their own belief system and protestants have theirs. Occasionally my friend and have even had some deep conversations about God and religion and even debated a bit.

What I do have a problem with though and I've had to speak up because of this, is my beliefs as a Catholic are wrong and being put down because of them. I never put her beliefs as a Protestant down even if I don't agree with them. But yet on occasion she has felt the need to almost attack me about them and make some close minded remarks. It got to the point that I started to feel uncomfortable with it and our friendship was getting strained, so we both agreed to keep our religious beliefs separate from our friendship. And I thought we where cool about it.

However this past Sunday we made plans together to go to break-fest and then to the mall. And I thought that was all of it. We where going in her car, and I thought we where just going to go straight to break-fest but she pulled into her church parking lot. I asked why we where here and she said she wanted to go to church first, I was like whatever I don't mind sitting through a sermon, and we went in. And the service was actually very pleasant and I actually enjoyed it.

After the service was done every one in the congregation piled into a room where the minister was and every one was talking and it was nice that every one seemed to know each other and every one was curious about me and very pleasant. Then--I don't know why my friend felt the need to do this, she announces to the whole congregation that I was Catholic. Like that made any sort of difference.

My word, I think I would have have gotten a less sever reaction if I was Bush walking around down town Iraq. Every one that was being pleasant to me suddenly started saying these really rude stuff to me. I was standing in a room with a whole lot of people shooting questions at me and challenging me this Catholic belief and that Catholic belief. It was an ambush. I was freakin' ambushed! I was trying to be civil and just brush off everything that was being said with my typical "you believe how ever way you believe and I'll believe mine". And that just seemed to add fuel to the fire. I was really shaken. I was completely caught off guard. And these people where getting pretty hostile with me. I was a freakin' spectacle and these people where really upsetting me.

When I finally got out of there I was so angry I was almost crying. I yelled at my friend why the hell she told them I was Catholic and we got into a big fight. Later she admitted she did it on purpose because she thought that her congregation could change my thinking. :evil: . What the hell! Did she really think putting me up to scrutiny and getting verbally ripped apart would change my thinking? I can't even describe how I feel right now. I feel hurt and betrayed. She really can't accept that I have different beliefs than her!

And I can't believe that these people who call them selves God's people could be so cruel and nasty to someone. I didn't deserve this. I feel like my trust was stomped on and taken advantage of. I don't know how to react or how to feel about this. Maybe I brought this on my self by even going, but I never thought I would be treated this way. I'm just so angry and confused right now. You have know idea. :cry:
that right there is a friend ender. I would have told her where she can stick it and walked home.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:51 am

jupiter23 wrote:Your friend had no right to do that to you, and the fact that she pretty much threw you into a pit of cobras makes it sound like she had no interest in maintaining your friendship unless it was on her terms. I'd go talk to the preacher of her church and tell him/her how that made you feel. If they take their job seriously at all, they'll listen to you and try to talk to their congregation, or at least your friend, about what they did to you.
Chances are if the congregation behaved that way, then the preacher isn't going to behave any differently and will probably attempt to "save" her soul as well.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Passions55 wrote:you know I have alot of respect for other people beliefs and other people's religions--as long as they respect mine.

This past weekend I got in a situation that really left me feeling...betrayed by a close friend of mine. I have a friend who is protestant, she is very aggressively passionate about her beliefs. I'm Roman Catholic and I'm pretty dedicated to my beliefs, but I am open minded enough to accept others views on Christianity and God and our salvation. And I understand and totally accept that Catholics have their own belief system and protestants have theirs. Occasionally my friend and have even had some deep conversations about God and religion and even debated a bit.

What I do have a problem with though and I've had to speak up because of this, is my beliefs as a Catholic are wrong and being put down because of them. I never put her beliefs as a Protestant down even if I don't agree with them. But yet on occasion she has felt the need to almost attack me about them and make some close minded remarks. It got to the point that I started to feel uncomfortable with it and our friendship was getting strained, so we both agreed to keep our religious beliefs separate from our friendship. And I thought we where cool about it.

However this past Sunday we made plans together to go to break-fest and then to the mall. And I thought that was all of it. We where going in her car, and I thought we where just going to go straight to break-fest but she pulled into her church parking lot. I asked why we where here and she said she wanted to go to church first, I was like whatever I don't mind sitting through a sermon, and we went in. And the service was actually very pleasant and I actually enjoyed it.

After the service was done every one in the congregation piled into a room where the minister was and every one was talking and it was nice that every one seemed to know each other and every one was curious about me and very pleasant. Then--I don't know why my friend felt the need to do this, she announces to the whole congregation that I was Catholic. Like that made any sort of difference.

My word, I think I would have have gotten a less sever reaction if I was Bush walking around down town Iraq. Every one that was being pleasant to me suddenly started saying these really rude stuff to me. I was standing in a room with a whole lot of people shooting questions at me and challenging me this Catholic belief and that Catholic belief. It was an ambush. I was freakin' ambushed! I was trying to be civil and just brush off everything that was being said with my typical "you believe how ever way you believe and I'll believe mine". And that just seemed to add fuel to the fire. I was really shaken. I was completely caught off guard. And these people where getting pretty hostile with me. I was a freakin' spectacle and these people where really upsetting me.

When I finally got out of there I was so angry I was almost crying. I yelled at my friend why the hell she told them I was Catholic and we got into a big fight. Later she admitted she did it on purpose because she thought that her congregation could change my thinking. :evil: . What the hell! Did she really think putting me up to scrutiny and getting verbally ripped apart would change my thinking? I can't even describe how I feel right now. I feel hurt and betrayed. She really can't accept that I have different beliefs than her!

And I can't believe that these people who call them selves God's people could be so cruel and nasty to someone. I didn't deserve this. I feel like my trust was stomped on and taken advantage of. I don't know how to react or how to feel about this. Maybe I brought this on my self by even going, but I never thought I would be treated this way. I'm just so angry and confused right now. You have know idea. :cry:
A friend of mine had told me about a similar situation that happened in her family. One of her relatives (who's Catholic) was getting married (to someone who was Baptist) and there was a huge feud on which sect was better than the other. At the wedding, each side of the family was crying because OMG they're marrying a Baptist/Catholic. I think you might want to avoid her for a while if possible or just end the friendship right there.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 811
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Southeast Louisiana

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Tiff wrote:
jupiter23 wrote:Your friend had no right to do that to you, and the fact that she pretty much threw you into a pit of cobras makes it sound like she had no interest in maintaining your friendship unless it was on her terms. I'd go talk to the preacher of her church and tell him/her how that made you feel. If they take their job seriously at all, they'll listen to you and try to talk to their congregation, or at least your friend, about what they did to you.
Chances are if the congregation behaved that way, then the preacher isn't going to behave any differently and will probably attempt to "save" her soul as well.
More than likely you're right, but I was saying that in the context that the preacher can't be responsible for the actions of a few, and if he is doing his job at all, he'll be less concerned with converting one person and more concerned about how his people are treating visitors. I agree with you though, because even if he were to talk to everyone, it won't guarantee that their behavior will stop at all.

I'm also with everyone else on that you should probably break off the friendship. She has no right to call herself your friend if she could even think about doing something so horrible. And if she is so hung up on her religion at this point, it's probably something that will never go away. Consider it her loss, because that type of behavior will pretty much seal the fact that she'll never have an actual friendship with anyone else.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

User avatar
SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:12 pm
Location: United States

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:10 pm

Im a catholic. Im not a strict catholic but I do go church every sunday and pray every night before bed. I went through it all, sunday school(CCD thats what its called at my church, confirmation, baptism, holy communion, meatless fridays during lent).

Locked