Coolest Music Videos

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Coolest Music Videos

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:10 pm

Can't recall ever seeing a topic like this (and a search turned up nothing), but I thought it'd be cool if people posted music videos that they thought were cool. Not so much because the songs are good, but because the video for it is funny, innovative, inspiring, or just down right bitchin'. My picks (for now):

Little Girls by Oingo Boingo.

This video has everything a music video should have. Cheesy 80's special effects, weird camera shots, humour, and dancing midgets. I don't know what dancing midgets have to do with a song about pedophilia, but it's awesome none the less (and Danny's dance at the end is cute)

Dreamer by Ozzy Osbourne

I'm not a fan of Ozzy, but I remember seeing this video a few years ago and really liking it. I just love the snow and girls in black dresses playing violins. It all looks so pretty

Crabbuckit by K-OS

This video is just so weird and funny. CRAB PEOPLZ!!!1111.The dancing in it is really cool to.

Now everyone post your favorite :P
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:40 am

Right Now by Van Halen, it was like one of those feel-good, glurge e-mails, only this was before e-mail. Listing all the things that were happening right now, even though some of them probably weren't, kept you interested.

Where the Streets Have No Name by U2. If you saw the Pop-Up Video version, you know the backstory, but if you didn't, what happened was that they planned to shoot the video on top of the roof of a 1-story building in tribute to the Beatles. Someone leaked the location and the time to the radio stations, and a mob showed up. The police told them to finish the shoot in 15 minutes because they had no riot control gear. The band played the song 3 times in that time, then one of the crew cut power to the lift that they used to get on the roof, and they played it twice more before the cops got up there. They worked all this into the video, with Bono saying, "I think we're being shut down," during the initial guitar riffs, and lots of crowd shots.

Two that are the best of the worst, because they're so campy:

You Can Call Me Al by Paul Simon. This is the one where Simon and Chevy Chase sit in a white room and Chevy lip-syncs the song while Paul just plays instruments. The kitchy dance at the end (that even I can do!) plays the whole thing for laughs.

Hello by Lionel Richie. Set in a Fame-like school of the arts, Richie plays the drama teacher mentoring the young blind girl who's also in the dance and sculpture classes. But then he starts stalking her, follwing her to class and calling her at home and hanging up. I guess it's supposed to be romantic, but it's just creepy.

And the number-one, all-time, no-one-will-ever-beat-it video:

Take on Me by A-Ha. This was the one with the freaky black-and-white cartoon effects, but there's actually a sweet story to go along with it. The lady with the big hair reads her comics in a diner, the hot guy pulls her into the comic, they hang out by the window, the Evil Racers come and threaten them, Hot Guy sends Big Hair back to the real world (into the diner's trash can), she runs home, find that Hot Guy seems dead, but in fact has escaped and left his world forever. That's love, '80s style.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:50 am

Sailorasteroid wrote:Take on Me by A-Ha. This was the one with the freaky black-and-white cartoon effects, but there's actually a sweet story to go along with it. The lady with the big hair reads her comics in a diner, the hot guy pulls her into the comic, they hang out by the window, the Evil Racers come and threaten them, Hot Guy sends Big Hair back to the real world (into the diner's trash can), she runs home, find that Hot Guy seems dead, but in fact has escaped and left his world forever. That's love, '80s style.
Best.

video.

ever.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:44 am

SailorAsteroid
Take on Me by A-Ha. This was the one with the freaky black-and-white cartoon effects, but there's actually a sweet story to go along with it. The lady with the big hair reads her comics in a diner, the hot guy pulls her into the comic, they hang out by the window, the Evil Racers come and threaten them, Hot Guy sends Big Hair back to the real world (into the diner's trash can), she runs home, find that Hot Guy seems dead, but in fact has escaped and left his world forever. That's love, '80s style.
That video is so cool. Even by today's standards I think the effects are impressive.

The Family Guy spoof is hilarious.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:23 pm

peachvampiress wrote:SailorAsteroid
That video is so cool. Even by today's standards I think the effects are impressive.

The Family Guy spoof is hilarious.
The original music video is great.

The Family Guy spoof is one of my most favorite scenes ever.

"Chris, where have you been?"

"..I DON'T KNOW!!!!"

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:08 pm

The Take on Me video is indeed cool. And here is a cool Take on Me winamp skin. As cool as the video is, I think Micheal Jackson's Thriller video can give it a run for its money. The video is a mini movie complete with credits.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:14 pm

>_< Someone hit me because I can't believe I forgot my favorite video.

Face To Face by Siouxsie Sioux. I didn't know it, but there are two versions, one with footage from Batman Returns, and one without. I love this song and the first time I saw this video I couldn't believe how eerie and beautiful it was. In April my Fashion Design program is putting on an end of the year show. We have to make porfolios of our line of clothing with inspiration photos. I have six screenshots from this video as inspiration photos (there were more but I deleted repetitive and cut off ones). I'm using this song for when my models display my clothes and I'm going to request that the models wear make-up like Siouxsie. That's how much of an effect this video has had on me. Siouxsie's shiny yellow hoody was even the basis for an outfit I designed

Video with footage from the movie (I like this version better, although whoever uploaded it cut off the beginning and end.

Without footage (better quality)

~Suicide Kings

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:51 pm

One other I forgot:

Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel. You could pick Big Time or Steam, but this is the one everyone remembers. The freaky stop-motion is just plain cool, and I tend to try to mimic Gabriel's head motions, as well as dancing like a chicken.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:57 pm

I guess i'm the only one who thinks You Spin Me 'Round (Like a Record) had a cool music video. I dunno, I guess I just used to think Dead or Alive's lead singer was cool to look at... Because I used to think he was a she. And he totally ripepd off Boy George's style. ^^;;
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:44 pm

Neon Heart wrote:I guess i'm the only one who thinks You Spin Me 'Round (Like a Record) had a cool music video. I dunno, I guess I just used to think Dead or Alive's lead singer was cool to look at... Because I used to think he was a she. And he totally ripepd off Boy George's style. ^^;;
XD Nah, I had fun watching it.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Top Cat
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Top Cat » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:43 pm

Ring the Alarm - Beyoncé.
Dayum. Beyonce really did it with this video. It's so nice to see her doing something other than thrashing to rhythm in a video. Now she's just thrashing. And the look on her face in places is that of the quintessential "mad as hell" black woman. To your roots, B.

Bull in the Heather - Sonic Youth.
Lawd... crack kills, Kathleen Hanna.

DragonMasterZero
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by DragonMasterZero » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:32 pm

Slipknot - Spit it Out
Slipknot + The Shining = Awesome
Favorite Senshi: Saturn and Jupiter
If I had a Henshin phrase it would be: Dragon Master Power! Armor Up!

A shrine without girls is like Miso Soup without the Miso - Grandpa Hino
The human body can be drained of blood in 8 seconds given adequate vaccuuming systems - River - Firefly

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:23 pm

My favorite video is Life by Our Lady Peace: http://youtube.com/watch?v=21fz4eQITro

Not only is the theme of the song just really great and uplifting, but I love the cool circling letters and I just thought the part at the end with the flowers circling around the girl was a cool effect. Another video I love is Helena by My Chemical Romance: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BH0l0NXDKow

I just love the part where the dead girl gets up and starts dancing around the church while the people are praying and the scene at the end with the umbrellas was really neat, too. And another favorite video is L'arc en Ciel's Dive To Blue: http://youtube.com/watch?v=O2m8ce_YKv8

I just love it when everyone starts looking out the window as he just keeps falling like that and it's just a really melancholy video I love.[/url]
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:08 am

Had to revive this thread because there's a new video that's uber cool.

Sweep The Leg by No More Kings If you're a Karate Kid fan, you HAVE to watch this. This is definately how the movie should have ended. It's also cool that it has all the original characters sans Mr.Miyagi (obviously) and Daniel's girlfriend.

And holy crap, Ralph Macchio doesn't age.

~Suicide Kings

Dr Tomoe
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Dr Tomoe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:43 am

Oasis - All Around The World 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzoVtAesUkI#

The Coral - In The Morning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axq5JnPsYSg
Last edited by Dr Tomoe on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:27 pm

Merduk - Bad Nun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHjcLvlkETI
A parody of Black/Death Grind Metal. I find it amuzing (for now).

Lil Jon w. Ice Cude - Roll Call
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woyiI6osfC4
Ice Cube + almost anything = gold

Eminem - Mosh (2nd ending)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-efbUxt6Kk
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.