So... what's everybody reading?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:06 am

Currently on "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. I've just started, but the writing is interesting so far.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:10 pm

I'm now reading His Dark Materials: The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman and A Song Of Ice And Fire: A Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:04 pm

Let's see... I finished Pride and Prejudice on Sunday...

Currently I'll be alternating between:
Frankenstien and I Am America and So Can You
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 pm

Since Saturday: Stephen Colbert's I Am America (And So Can You!) by Dr. Stephen T. Colbert D.F.A.

It is loaded with Truthiness; straight from the gut, Stephen's gut. So, acclaimed it even won the "Stephen T. Colbert Award for the Literary Excellence." (Read: Hilarious [Read: BUY IT!])
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:45 am

I just read Bridge to Terabithia. VERY good book.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:01 pm

Im reading a book titles "Japanese Tales" basically its a book of Japanese folk tales and myths.

It's amazing how many of them are completely pointless. Like one story was about 5 pages long and had no point at all, no moral, the characters didn't grow or learn anything, and there was no lesson. I was like wow that was.......pointless but interesting.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:51 am

I recently re-read The Day My Bum Went Psycho. I'm sure my bum wants to keep reminding me of the book. I plan on reading the sequels Zombie Bums From Uranus and Bumageddon: The Final Pongflict. The one major problem is that a book about bums quickly becomes a one-trick pony (especially with no explicit references to bodily functions), but kids love hearing the word "bum" over and over again (down here, that's a slightly vulgar term for the bottom). My personal favourite joke occurs when a multitude of bums jam a signal with "high-frequency emissions". Meaning they hold bum-trumpets and....you figure it out. Points also given for a scene where a large bum rockets into space.

But something I want to know is: does the American edition keep the pun in Eric von Dunnycan's name?
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:37 am

StarFlame Soldier wrote:I'm currently reading "Wicked" (thanks to Cardcaptor Takato's sig 8) , it's really good) at my place, "Brother Surgeons" (about the life of an influential surgeon in the late 17th century- true story) at my boyfriend's place, and Tamora Pierce's "Shatterglass" (there is only two books of hers that I haven't read) at the uni library.
Tamora Pierce has another book? *makes plans*

To be on-topic, I'm reading Ajax by Sophocles for my class on the Greeks. Ooh boy, Greek tragedies...riveting reading.
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:30 pm

I'm currently re-reading the Sword of Truth series. I still want to slap Kahlan and Richard, but at lesat soon I'll get to Cara, who is my favorite character. XD

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:25 pm

lol ugh they are why its hard for me to finish the series and I stopped at book 4 sigh. Im going to finish it though cause my best bud wont stop bugging me about it. I will say I loved Wizards first rule alot though it had just abit of everything including S&M lol :shock:
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:32 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:lol ugh they are why its hard for me to finish the series and I stopped at book 4 sigh. Im going to finish it though cause my best bud wont stop bugging me about it. I will say I loved Wizards first rule alot though it had just abit of everything including S&M lol :shock:
XDD Yeah, it can get tiring if you don't like Kahlan and Richard. Richard, i don't mind TOO much, but Kahlan just does some stupid ass shit.

^^; I certainly wouldn't classify what the Mord Sith do as S&M.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:37 pm

Tiff wrote:
Senshi_of_Vision wrote:lol ugh they are why its hard for me to finish the series and I stopped at book 4 sigh. Im going to finish it though cause my best bud wont stop bugging me about it. I will say I loved Wizards first rule alot though it had just abit of everything including S&M lol :shock:
XDD Yeah, it can get tiring if you don't like Kahlan and Richard. Richard, i don't mind TOO much, but Kahlan just does some stupid ass shit.

^^; I certainly wouldn't classify what the Mord Sith do as S&M.
Oh no not their practice in general but Richards first experiance if I read it right was with that torture chick and even though it was abit twisted the way she went out made me tear up. Its crazy how I hated her one moment then felt sorry for her and relieved when he killed her.

Back on Topic just finished Dhampir and now im going to go read book 5 of the sword of truth and see if I can keep the desire to finish it up going hehe.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:44 pm

I went by Booksamillion today and bought His Dark Materials: The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman and I've started reading The Dresden Files: Storm Front by Jim Butcher. I think The Dresden Files is the first fantasy book I've read where the entire book is written in first-person instead of third-person.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

magily11
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by magily11 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:11 pm

At the minute, I am reading Ten Things I Hate About Me by Randa Abdel-Fattah.
It's a book about a Muslim girl who has to pretend to be Australian, to avoid racisism.
Only her family knows that she is a Muslim, but a guy named John emails her after seeing her email address on an ICQ Chatroom ([email protected]) I'm only at chapter 13 though. Good stuff though!
By god, I haven't read a "book" book in AGES.
Ruddy manga! :lol:

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:33 pm

Currently reading Memoirs of a Geisha.

Fairly interesting... in some ways, suprising though.
-Adam Picard-

Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Kelsey
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Kelsey » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:42 am

I just started reading The Devil Wears Prada today.

There are so many different series that I would like to start, but whenever I go to my library I can never find the first book to any of them. It’s pretty frustrating.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:23 pm

The Climb by Anatoli Boukereev (sp)

Mt. Everest. Follows teh story about the 1996 disaster, when a snowstorm came up late on Summit day... and killed about 16 people.

People who climb it are insane...
-Adam Picard-

-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:47 pm

Taking a break from AG to read through the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. I just finished Northern Lights/Golden Compass, so now I've got to pick up "The Subtle Knife" and keep on it :D
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:15 pm

Starscream wrote:Taking a break from AG to read through the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. I just finished Northern Lights/Golden Compass, so now I've got to pick up "The Subtle Knife" and keep on it :D
*gasp* I've been meaning to read those... thanks for reminding me! -runs off to find book-

In the mean time, I just finished Alice Sebold's (author of The Lovely Bones) new book, The Almost Moon. As per her usual writing , it was rough and real and totally awesome.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:43 am

I got "His Dark Materials" for christmas so Im currently reading that.

I also got the first book in the 3rd warriors series called "Power of Three"

And a book that has all the wizard of oz stories. Will be nice to get the story without the bad music and dancing for once.

So far "His Dark Materials" Is pretty good and nothing like the movie. The Golden Compass for those who dont know
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain