Overated TV shows, songs, movies, and bands.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:23 pm

Sailor X wrote:I liked Finding Nemo- I almost cried at the beginning- but there was one little thing that got on my nerves. When I was in Chattanooga this summer, we went to see some IMAX movie about fish. When a school of clownfish appeared on the screen, a whole bunch of kids started screaming, "That's Nemo! It's Nemo!" I wanted so badly to get up and slap their tiny faces.
I DID cry..well, I got teary-eyed.
^^; LMAO I think that'd send major annoyance down my spine as well.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:58 pm

Tiff wrote:
Darksenshi51 wrote:iits just a 20 year old's veiw of life (sex, gurls, beer, ect.) with nothing else much... i find it pretty boring.
¬.¬ i'm 21. That is NOT our point of view.
And the characters of friends are in their thirties. If you'd actually ever watched the show, you'd notice that it does not centralize around sex, girls, and beer.
Its the bois point of veiw, ive seen it over 30 times, and ill i ever hear is suggestive diolauge

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:49 pm

Sailor X wrote:TV:
I will second the vote for Full House. Ugh. I always wanted to scratch all of their hair off and feed it to them.
Dinozore-san wrote:Music: Rap :roll: I hate it.

Some rap is good, llike message rap from the early '90s. But most of today's rap is annoying. Especially Chingy. I like Right Thurr at first, then got tired of it. It came out in June, for God's sake, and I still hear some version of it every day. And Holidae In (What is the Holidae supposed to mean?) is just annoying.
I used to like Full House. Then when I saw it on tv years after it ended, I thought it was corny as hell. It seemed like such a great sitcom back then...

And LMAO I agree Chingy is hella annoying. I don't know if it's true but my friend told me he synthized his voice. o_OBecause it doesn't sound nearly as annoying when he performs live. I know most artists sound different when they perform live but still
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:10 am

Darksenshi51 wrote: I live with a 22 year old man, and that is not his point of view. Don't generalize an age group based on something you hear on a TV show. Also, that's not all the show is about, trust me. I watch it religiously.
I used to like Full House. Then when I saw it on tv years after it ended, I thought it was corny as hell. It seemed like such a great sitcom back then...
LOL it was so corny, but i watched it constantly, too.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:23 am

Tiff wrote:
Darksenshi51 wrote: I live with a 22 year old man, and that is not his point of view. Don't generalize an age group based on something you hear on a TV show. Also, that's not all the show is about, trust me. I watch it religiously.
LOL it was so corny, but i watched it constantly, too.
Yeah, your right. If I did that, After watching Totally Spiez id think taht every high school gurl had bad hair, cheap clothing/accesories, and talked like a hippie. Im sorry for being harsh to 10 year olds

Drukqs
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Drukqs » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:27 am

TV: The Simple Life. The girls are so stupid and useless it's embarassing, and it's no way funny. I feel sorry for those people out in the country too. XD And DBZ. It's amazing how high the ratings are from that show every month. Entire shows on Toonami have been blinked out of existence because of it.

Music: A lot, to start out:
"Going Under"- Evanessance (Jesus, isn't that from like, may? They still play it on the radio here in California. That's one of the reasons I hate the radio =P)

"Sk8tr boi"- Avril Lavinge (MOST. ANNOYING. SONG. EVER.)

"All The Small Things"- Blink- 182 (I like Blink-182, but this song has become a staple on movie soundtracks.)

Movie: The Lion King. It was a good movie, but they just keep on beating with a stick. 2 sequels, a tape, a special edition dvd, a broadway play, a spinoff show with Timone and Pumba, countless books and toys, video games, and on top of it all, the broadway show is being released on tape/dvd.

U_U
"Cool, do I get a gun?"- Butthead "Beavis and Butthead do America."

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:21 am

Darksenshi51 wrote: Yeah, your right. If I did that, After watching Totally Spiez id think taht every high school gurl had bad hair, cheap clothing/accesories, and talked like a hippie. Im sorry for being harsh to 10 year olds
...10 year olds? what?

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:31 am

Band: Westlife way over rated only number 1's they get are covers

TV: Anything that ends in Idol, pop ,soap ,band world pop overrated good for a while but go away now shoo shoo

OT: IN defnece of Bristh comdey's we just can't have good comdey adn anthing that is midly good it horrdid anyway so umm sorry about our bad humor
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:05 pm

Tiff wrote:
Darksenshi51 wrote: Yeah, your right. If I did that, After watching Totally Spiez id think taht every high school gurl had bad hair, cheap clothing/accesories, and talked like a hippie. Im sorry for being harsh to 10 year olds
...10 year olds? what?
I ment 20 year olds. I just got a new computer, and the keyboard keys are so small...

Rindesayu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Rindesayu » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:03 pm

Anime:Neon Genesis Evangelion-MOST OVERRATED ANIME EVER IMO...that,and DBZ
TV Shows:Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents both,although I still think a lot of Spongebob is really good despite what some people have said
Movies:Every installment of the Matrix--way too profound and flashy to be enjoyable

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:11 pm

Rindesayu wrote:Anime:Neon Genesis Evangelion-MOST OVERRATED ANIME EVER IMO...that,and DBZ
TV Shows:Spongebob and Fairly Oddparents both,although I still think a lot of Spongebob is really good despite what some people have said
Movies:Every installment of the Matrix--way too profound and flashy to be enjoyable
*rubs her head and sighs* I'm going to say this again: If you think something is overrated, then you obviously wouldn't think it's great. You said you think a lot of spongebob is really good, but it's overrated. That makes no sense.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:31 pm

I actually LOVE Spongebob. I do, I have PJ'S and Slippers and figurines of the characters ^^, I think the fact that is's weird and random is what makes it so great.

Anywho:

Movies: Titanic. They took a true disaster and turned it into a love story. Which, IMO, wasn't romantic OR sad in the slightest. If I'm being perfectly honest I laughed when Jack died.

The Excorcism of Emily Rose: Not scary in the slightest. The court scenes dragged on far too much.

TV: Eastenders. I just don't see how this soap keeps winning awards. It's utter crap. All the characters are exactly the same except with different names. And BTW, if I lived somewhere that had a fatality every week, I would move.

Will and Grace: I liked it but it wasn't as good as everybody made it out to be. Grace annoyed the hell out of me.

Sex and the city: 30 minutes of lonely women looking for men and having sex. Great entertainment.

Music: Pussycat dolls. One of them sings, the others just dance around in the background.

Jennifer Lopez: Everybody used to rant on about she was a great artist. I personally thought her songs were boring and repeptitive. The main reason she was in the news was because of her bum, which is Kind of pathetic.

This wasn't really mentioned in the info but I think it should be included.

Games: Final Fantasy series. I can't get into them. However, this may be because the one game I played, I got stuuck on the first boss.

Mario: I used to like them but now there are just too many games. They usually have the same storyline "Our Bitch princess has been captured....Again, you will have to venture through numerous castles until you find the one she is actually in...and one hit means death"
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:45 am

Iced_Cappucino wrote:Sex and the city: 30 minutes of lonely women looking for men and having sex. Great entertainment.
Ugh, yes. I don't know why some people love that show so much. If I wanted to see a bunch of desperate, indecisive women who are starved for a relationship, I'd hang around with the chicks at work. ¬_¬
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:53 am

Yeah, I really hate that show. And the acting's terrible. It's as though they're reading from play scripts.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:24 am

I can list enough to fill a novel sized book here but I'll keep it small. IF you really want my reasons just ask and I'll be happy to give them.

Movies:

Fargo
Blade Runner
Forest Gump
Titanic

Anime
Neon Genesis (this also has the most overrated anime character namely Rei)
Dragon Ball Z
Naruto
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:36 am

I've never seen Naruto but everywhere I go on youtube there are videos of it.

Another film I feel is overated is Halloween. It's not THAT good. It's a decent movie to watch on halloween but it has a thin plot and gets repetitive.

I also agree that Neon Genesis Evangelion is overated. It's an enjoyable Anime but if you don't see it from the beginning it's confusing as hell.

DBZ is REALLY overated. You'll get a little bit of plot then mindless fighting, a little bit more of the plot then a lot more mindless fighting. It gets boring quickly and only a few parts are amusing until it's back to mindless fighting.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:23 pm

These celeb reality shows or semi celeb or I hooked up with a former rap star now im a f-list celeb and got men or women or both vying for me ala Bachelor style shows. Im kinda sick of cable tv due to all these supposed celebraties with their own reality shows. And now adays anyone can be a star as long as they are willing to degrade themselves on tv. Its sad when any dumb ass with no self respect will go on tv to be a supposed love interest for some weave wearing skezzer that not even Flavor Flav (ugh has a face only his mama can love) wanted, and her manish mom. That I love New York show irks me then there are a few more one has a female who basically has men and women throwing down to be with her and im like "what the hell?" who in their right minds thinks this is good tv? Its why I dont mind spending the day watching cartoons at least they arent supposed to be logical.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:59 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:These celeb reality shows or semi celeb or I hooked up with a former rap star now im a f-list celeb and got men or women or both vying for me ala Bachelor style shows. Im kinda sick of cable tv due to all these supposed celebraties with their own reality shows. And now adays anyone can be a star as long as they are willing to degrade themselves on tv. Its sad when any dumb ass with no self respect will go on tv to be a supposed love interest for some weave wearing skezzer that not even Flavor Flav (ugh has a face only his mama can love) wanted, and her manish mom. That I love New York show irks me then there are a few more one has a female who basically has men and women throwing down to be with her and im like "what the hell?" who in their right minds thinks this is good tv? Its why I dont mind spending the day watching cartoons at least they arent supposed to be logical.
>__> I guess I'm not in my right mind then. I like "I love New York" and "Flavor Of Love" because its fun watching other people whore themselves out to be famous. None of them are there for Her/Him. They want to be famous, and get there own show, just like Tiffany (New York) did. They are just using it to get money. I don't need to watch somthing to educate me, or somthing resonable every waking minute of the day. Somtimes, I just want to be entertained.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:>__> I guess I'm not in my right mind then. I like "I love New York" and "Flavor Of Love" because its fun watching other people whore themselves out to be famous. None of them are there for Her/Him. They want to be famous, and get there own show, just like Tiffany (New York) did. They are just using it to get money. I don't need to watch somthing to educate me, or somthing resonable every waking minute of the day. Somtimes, I just want to be entertained.

And that is good for you, I just think the shows are too much too many and overrated. And thats what the topic is about, I dont think I went and knocked people who watched them just the shows themselves so dont take it personally k? Either way Im sure they have audiences that enjoy these shows or they wouldnt be on the air. I just find them tacky and tasteless and just more reasons many black women are treated like crap or thought to behave in such manner when clearly there are many of us who do not.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:17 pm

I think Armageddon is overated. It was one of the most boring films I have ever seen.