Overated TV shows, songs, movies, and bands.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:36 pm

Myself:

United States (from what I've known)

TV - Friends (duh u_u)
Movie - dunno
Music - Britney Spears

France

TV - Star Academy (o.O;;;;; )
Movie - can't say
Music - Star Academy albums u_u
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:50 pm

TV: Friends and American Idol- All American Idol is people singing badly while Friends just recycles the same plots over and over.... Oh!

Music: Most of the pop music played today

Movie: The Fast and The Furious- So freaking boring! Car racing is the most boring thing in the world, why should a movie about it be any more entertaining?
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

DistantMemory
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DistantMemory » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:56 pm

TV: Full House, strange as it is. I'm not sure if people really do overrate it, but I'm just taking a wild guess and say that it is. ^^;

Music: Most rap (except for Eminem, most of the time) and pop (Avril Lavigne, Play, yadda yadda yadda...)

Movies: Possibly Stuart Little, and maybe even Bruce Almighty (and I usually like Jim Carrey... :?)

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:25 pm

DistantMemory wrote:TV: Full House, strange as it is. I'm not sure if people really do overrate it, but I'm just taking a wild guess and say that it is. ^^;
It WAS popular at one time, so I guess it counts. However, since its end in 1995, I have heard squat about this show and what happened to the majority of the actors who worked on this show, save Bob Sagat and the Olsen twins.
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:54 pm

Neo Dead Moon wrote:
It WAS popular at one time, so I guess it counts. However, since its end in 1995, I have heard squat about this show and what happened to the majority of the actors who worked on this show, save Bob Sagat and the Olsen twins.
Well.
The guy who played Jessie, John Stamos, does 10-10-whatever commercials and is in various made for tv movies.
The guy who played DJ's boyfriend voiced Aladdin in Disney's movie.
As for the others, I have no idea.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:04 pm

Tiff wrote:
Neo Dead Moon wrote:
Well.
The guy who played Jessie, John Stamos, does 10-10-whatever commercials and is in various made for tv movies.
He also married Rebecca Romijn, and in the process incurred the wrath of every straight male on the planet, myself included :twisted:
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:12 pm

Starscream wrote:
He also married Rebecca Romijn, and in the process incurred the wrath of every straight male on the planet, myself included :twisted:
LMAO yes, I know, I was speaking strictly career-wise, though.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:15 pm

TV:
I will second the vote for Full House. Ugh. I always wanted to scratch all of their hair off and feed it to them.
The Cosby Show. I mean I like it, but it's not the best show ever.
Friends. 'Nuff said.
"Conversions" of British comedies. They always suck, always. Especially "Coupling (US). The idiot creators said that it was better than the original. Please. *Quadruple-slaps the creators*
Romeo! is pretty damn annoying.
What's not overrated and never will be: Roseanne and The Facts of Life.
Underrated: Taina, Clarissa Explains It All,
Dinozore-san wrote:Music: Rap :roll: I hate it.

Some rap is good, llike message rap from the early '90s. But most of today's rap is annoying. Especially Chingy. I like Right Thurr at first, then got tired of it. It came out in June, for God's sake, and I still hear some version of it every day. And Holidae In (What is the Holidae supposed to mean?) is just annoying.
What's not overrated: Ludacris, Liz Phair, TLC, Prince

Anime: Cowboy Bebop. It is NOT the greatest anime ever, I'm getting sick of it. Ein and Ed are cool though.
That avatar is a self portrait. Really. Really. No matter how much it looks like D'Angelo, that's me. .... Oh, just shut up.

"Man, I am like obsessed with this show...could anyone have made a worse tv program if they set out to? The best part is, it was my grandma's FAVORITE show. We put her in a home shortly after she made that comment."
Jump the Shark comment on "Small Wonder"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:07 pm

Sailor X wrote: "Conversions" of British comedies. They always suck, always. Especially "Coupling (US). The idiot creators said that it was better than the original. Please. *Quadruple-slaps the creators*
British comedy IN GENERAL, IMO. I don't find it humorous. At all. The only British shows/movies I find humorous are "Whose Line is it Anyway?" and "The Holy Grail", which is a movie i'd only watch once and never again. Everybody around me seems tot hink British comedy is the greatest thing ever. I frankly just don't see it.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:33 pm

Sailor X wrote: And Holidae In (What is the Holidae supposed to mean?) is just annoying.
It's a play on the hotel chain, "Holiday Inn."

The biggest overrated things to me are the Tomb Raider movies and Finding Nemo. They all got really good ratings, but were rather disappointing. I liked Finding Nemo, but I was expecting uber-cute, and all I got was cute.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:39 pm

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
The biggest overrated things to me are the Tomb Raider movies and Finding Nemo. They all got really good ratings, but were rather disappointing. I liked Finding Nemo, but I was expecting uber-cute, and all I got was cute.
I was glad it wasn't too super sappy cute. I liked how it added drama and was actually pretty damn sad at points...it wasn't the general kids cartoon, IMO.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:54 pm

i think that Friends, Evangelion, and Fairly Oddparents are overrated. It's not like i dont care for friends, its just its shown too much,a nd its nto really much... its just a 20 year old's veiw of life (sex, gurls, beer, ect.) with nothing else much... i find it pretty boring. Fairly Oddparents, SO STUPID, i ahte thios show so much, its so retarted. There sint really music i think is overated, except for Eminem. I cant stand him, but that me

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:02 pm

Darksenshi51 wrote:iits just a 20 year old's veiw of life (sex, gurls, beer, ect.) with nothing else much... i find it pretty boring.
¬.¬ i'm 21. That is NOT our point of view.
And the characters of friends are in their thirties. If you'd actually ever watched the show, you'd notice that it does not centralize around sex, girls, and beer.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

DistantMemory
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DistantMemory » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:06 pm

Originally posted by Tiff:
I was glad it wasn't too super sappy cute. I liked how it added drama and was actually pretty damn sad at points...it wasn't the general kids cartoon, IMO.
Couldn't have said it better myself! ^^ *is currently obsessing over Finding Nemo*

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:46 pm

DistantMemory wrote:
Originally posted by Tiff:
Couldn't have said it better myself! ^^ *is currently obsessing over Finding Nemo*
Finding Nemo was awsome... the beginning was really sad though...

Something I've noticed:
ALL of Pixar's movies have been good. ^_^
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:47 pm

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Finding Nemo. But I thought it was overrated. Everyone I talked to said that it was absolutely adorable. And it was cute, but it wasn't as cute as I was told.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:56 pm

I wouldn't really describe a movie as cute. I think that it was a really good movie. Dorie was plain awsome...

Monsters Inc. is my favorite of their movies. it is just SO comical...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

DistantMemory
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DistantMemory » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:59 pm

Eeeeee! ^^ Dory Dory Dory Dory Dory Dory---with a dash of Marlin (because I can really relate to him)---Dory Dory Dory...

Yes, I'll shut up now, in case anyone wants to know. ¬¬

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:38 pm

I liked Finding Nemo- I almost cried at the beginning- but there was one little thing that got on my nerves. When I was in Chattanooga this summer, we went to see some IMAX movie about fish. When a school of clownfish appeared on the screen, a whole bunch of kids started screaming, "That's Nemo! It's Nemo!" I wanted so badly to get up and slap their tiny faces.
That avatar is a self portrait. Really. Really. No matter how much it looks like D'Angelo, that's me. .... Oh, just shut up.

"Man, I am like obsessed with this show...could anyone have made a worse tv program if they set out to? The best part is, it was my grandma's FAVORITE show. We put her in a home shortly after she made that comment."
Jump the Shark comment on "Small Wonder"

DistantMemory
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DistantMemory » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:35 pm

Yes, I hate it when that happens, too. -_-;;