Shows you never thought you'd see again....

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Shows you never thought you'd see again....

Post by DreamEmpress » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:24 pm

After the last couple threads dealing with old cartoons, I thought I'd make it all encompassing. This however, is not limited to cartoons. Basically I want to know, is there anything that's been released or is being released that you thought would never make it to dvd. or at least, not this soon... Also if you have exciting news about anything coming out soon, don't hesistate to say it.

Oh and feel free to mention anything that you wish would see the light of day too.

I was surprised that He-Man came out this soon. I thought for sure it would be another few years. I missed that show so much.
Oh and I found out that She-Ra is being released this summer. He-Man.org has the full story. I'm very excited. My sister is more so. She loves the old tapes.

Ok, Alf the animated series and Alf Tales are coming. This I wasn't expecting. I'd almost forgotten about them. Doesn't look like season sets, but the discs do have a good number of episodes. I'd love to revisit that.

Galaxy High School is coming from Anime Works. This show I remember watching. Was a must see on saturdays for me as a kid. Very awesome. Just didn't know that anyone cared enough to bring it back.

This last one made me so happy...I was practically dancing for joy. I was told for a very long time that there was no way in heck that it would ever see the light of day again. But I recently saw on TvShowsOnDvd.com that Captain N, the Game Master is coming to Dvd. Alot of my friends are excited.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:55 pm

The Real Ghostbusters. At the moment they've only released three DVDs with four random episodes each, but it's a start. The reason I thought I'd never see it is because a lot of the episodes had songs in them, and getting the copyright to each song before you release the episodes would obviously be very difficult.

Although not released on DVD, I was suprised to see that the Space Station up here in Canada was airing Captain Star. It's a funny little British cartoon that used to air on Teletoon nine years ago. I was happy to find it randomly airing at 5:30 am and have been recording as many episodes as I can :mrgreen:

Now if they would just release Alvin and the Chipmunks, I'd be able to purchase my entire childhood on DVD.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:58 am

I thought it was a little surprising that Cartoon Network started showing Swat Kats in the afternoons again. You know, since Cartoon Network seems to have this weird thing of mostly showing the newer cartoons instead of the old ones. But for a while, CN was even showing episodes of Cartoon Planet for a couple weeks, at like 4:30am (I only watched because my sleeping habits are terrible like that :p Plus... The memories... <3)

I kinda wish they would hurry up and release Voltron on DVD. Like, every other 80s toon is being released, and not Voltron. But I also go to a Voltron forum (that's attached to the main website), and I think they haven't been released yet because of the legal issues and such... Because the two or three people who still work at World Events Productions are having a hard time. ¬_¬;;

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:50 am

Neon Heart wrote:
I kinda wish they would hurry up and release Voltron on DVD. Like, every other 80s toon is being released, and not Voltron. But I also go to a Voltron forum (that's attached to the main website), and I think they haven't been released yet because of the legal issues and such... Because the two or three people who still work at World Events Productions are having a hard time. ¬_¬;;
Um? Voltron's been out on DVD down here for quite some time.

I, however, would like to see Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future come to DVD. Or at least a TV show revival, a la Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica. I mean, yeah, it's pretty cheesy, but it's a kids show that was anything but kiddie-oriented in attitude and it preceded Terminator 2 in its mixture of CGI and live-action. That plus the target-practice video I've seen (you fire a gun at the screen, taking out enemy turrets and blowing Soaron up over and over again) features some of the best TV animation I have ever seen.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:59 am

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:
Neon Heart wrote:

All I see online for Voltron DVD's are obvious homebrew DVD's. I don't see anything that I would trust to spend my money on.

</OT>

As for shows I thought I'd never see on DVD, the Legend of Zelda series was definently one, seeing as it was only 13 episodes and faded out a long time ago.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:17 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:Um? Voltron's been out on DVD down here for quite some time.
Sadly, not here in The Land Up Over.

What I would like to see, and there's probably little hope for, is to see some old game shows released on DVD. Stuff like the Pyramid, Press Your Luck, Concentration, the old daytime shows. If they could be done cheap they'd be great DVDs just to have something to watch.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:55 pm

I would love to get all of the 80's Alvin and the Chipmunks on dvd. I used to watch that show religiously on saturdays. However, I did find out that A Chipmunk Adventure is coming to dvd this year. They released A Chipmunk Christmas last Dec. It has a couple episodes from the series too.

Dinosaurs is coming in May! I used to watch it all the time. The baby was funny. I only had one tape of it growing up and you can only watch the same two episodes only so long. I miss watching Ethel whack Earl with her cane.

I'd like to take a small moment and rant. I was very happy to see Ducktales released on dvd. I was however, not so happy that they conviently didn't include the first 5 episodes. (the episodes that made up the pilot movie) That's just wrong. They explain the whole story of why the boys are with Scrooge McDuck to begin with. Not that a lot of kids are going to question this, but a lot of fan do care. They did the same thing to Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers. I'm hoping Disney corrects this when they get around to doing volume two.

Currently I'm eagerly awaiting the Second Season Volume Two of Gargoyles. It's one of my favorite shows. That made me so happy when they released the first two volumes.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:22 pm

DreamEmpress wrote:Dinosaurs is coming in May! I used to watch it all the time. The baby was funny. I only had one tape of it growing up and you can only watch the same two episodes only so long. I miss watching Ethel whack Earl with her cane.
I've got twelve old VHS tapes of Dinosaurs! It was one of the few shows that kept me laughing throughout the various stages of my childhood. The baby (or "Ah Ugg I'm Dieing You Idiot") was my hero. XD

I checked out the preorder price on Amazon, and it's cheap. Mom and I love that show, so I'll probably have to pick it up.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:52 pm

If they've come out with Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers, hopefully they'll finish off the Disney Afternoon by releasing Tale Spin and Darkwing Duck.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:05 pm

Sailor Moon was one a couple of years ago, back in 2002. :lol: Some old American cartoons as well like the Jetsons for example. This has happened to me so much, that I can't remember every single show.

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:30 pm

Fraggle Rock! =D
I was thrilled to find that on DVD. And My Little Pony...I want the season one set so much ;_;

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:30 am

I loved Fraggle Rock when I was little. That show was so cute! Muppet Show, that one I was suprised to see so soon. At least, in boxset form.

As for My Little Pony, I updated information on season two in the MLP thread.

There are rumors on Ultimate Disney about Darkwing Duck being released later this year. I'm hoping that it's comes true. But only if it's in boxset and with the pilot. This rumor also talked about the Tick. But who knows what the people at Disney will ultimately decide.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:26 am

Slrjoecool wrote:
Neon Heart wrote:

All I see online for Voltron DVD's are obvious homebrew DVD's. I don't see anything that I would trust to spend my money on.
Try searching for R4s. And then getting a multiregion player and PAL TV set (or better yet, just using a firmware patch on a DVD drive). http://www.madman.com.au

Actually, I was quite surprised to see DVDs of Spellbinder, a 1995 series about a boy that got caught in a parallel world where everyone spoke with Polish accents. It wasn't a highly popular show (it ran on Channel 9 at 4pm), and the DVD release was a quiet affair--I found it in an HMV store in the city.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:41 am

As I don't really like ANY of the shows mentioned on here (except for My Little Pony) but I do LOVE Dinoasaurs!! xD Anyways-
Astro Boy.
Yay, Astro! <3
Although I have been seeing it again recently... on TV and on my notebooks. Found loads of school stuff with Astro on it. xD
My Art - My LiveJournal

Zeta from Bulbagarden. xD
>>>Lucario learns a move called "Tonbogaeri". This is a move in Judo feauturing a kick to the groin. Yes, they''ve actually made "Kick Him in the Nuts" an attack. It should SO do 150% more damage to male Pokemon. XD

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:51 am

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:Try searching for R4s. And then getting a multiregion player and PAL TV set (or better yet, just using a firmware patch on a DVD drive). http://www.madman.com.au
I'll pass. I can play any region DVD's on my computer, but I'd rather watch movies on my TV, and that way is too much work. (And money.)

I'll probably just download the episodes and make my own DVD's.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:10 pm

The Nickelodeon Rewind collection that came out last year. Clarissa Explains it All! :D Has Eureeka's Castle been released yet, or will be? I need Eureeka's Castle! Gee, what a wonderful place to be!

What I hate, though, is when shows that are still on the air and still spewing new episodes get released to DVD, like Spongebob -___- I mean, really, if it's still on and airing those eps why do you need a fricken DVD for it? It just annoys me that they could release something older and better rather than something, IMO, nobody honestly needs right away when you can just catch those episodes every day.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:28 pm

CLARISSA! -love-

Not all countries get the same shows on Nick. ^^;
Zim just came here last year.
Spongebob is just barely coming back here.
My Art - My LiveJournal

Zeta from Bulbagarden. xD
>>>Lucario learns a move called "Tonbogaeri". This is a move in Judo feauturing a kick to the groin. Yes, they''ve actually made "Kick Him in the Nuts" an attack. It should SO do 150% more damage to male Pokemon. XD

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:11 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:If they've come out with Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers, hopefully they'll finish off the Disney Afternoon by releasing Tale Spin and Darkwing Duck.
God, I hope they release Darkwing Duck to DVD. I adored that show growing up and I only have a VHS tape titled "Justice Ducks Unite". Good times. XD
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:54 pm

Neon Heart wrote:
Yeah, I know... The moderator over at the Voltron forum always has to remind us about that. -_- But I don't have any kind of money to buy an import DVD of Voltron, and I definetely don't have the cash for a multi region DVD player, and probably never will.

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:07 am

Most of the shows I would like out on DVD/happy they are out on DVD have already been mentioned:

Duck Tales (I have the theme song in German, along with the full version.)
Rescue Rangers (I have the full version of its theme song too.)
Tale Spin
Darkwing Duck
Invader Zim (Nick sucks for canceling this show.)
The Tick
Dinosaurs
The original Ghostbusters

I see that they are releasing the complete 1997 season of The Red Green Show. Hopefully they'll release more complete seasons. I'd like to see The Angry Beavers out on DVD. Watching that show was like watching my brothers. I want Daggit's calender: 365 Ways and Days to Completely Annoy Your Brother. The Yak in the Sak episode was a classic. ADV released the third and fourth season of Reboot but not the first and second season and the third season is out of print. But most of I would LOVE to see Eek the Cat out on DVD.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.