LOST

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

LOST

Post by Sylphiel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:29 pm

Didn't see a topic for this show already, but... oy vay, I am addicted. I'm in a class for my 400-level Psych elective that watches episodes and we analyze them with the course readings. That's how I got hooked, and now I can't stop watching it. I've avoided popular TV for the most part but this show is really, really good.

So anybody else on this forum watch it that I can blab about it with? =P I've seen up to the ep. "Outlaws" in S1. My favorite character is Charlie. <3

(there are so many spoilers in this show, so don't forget about the Spoiler tag... lol)
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:10 pm

*screams insanely*

I've been watching this show almost since it started. I have season one on DVD and I love season two so far. If you have any questions about anything that is happening, I can probably help you.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:54 pm

We've been working our way through season one the past week or two. Good stuff, glad to see there's still at least one good show on primetime TV aside from all the reality crap nowadays. I'd have to say my favorite character is Charlie too, for some reason I see a lot of him in me and can relate to him in a lot of scenes. ^^;;; I like how each episode so far has a backstory to one of the main characters which I'm enjoying. I'm assuming that this is probably true for most, if not all, of the first season. Do they still do this in the second season?
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:57 pm

MarioKnight wrote:I'm assuming that this is probably true for most, if not all, of the first season. Do they still do this in the second season?
Yes.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:55 pm

Yeah, and actually the flashbacks are imperative to most of the story in one way or another. To use your favorite character as an example, [spoiler]you know he was into drugs from his flashbacks by being in the band with his brother. But the flashbacks also reveal that he used to be a devoted Catholic before that, and even wanted to quit the band, but fell to the temptation anyway. This becomes important later in the season because (and I don't know if you have gotten this far, hence the spoiler tags) Locke and Boone find a beach-craft airplane in the jungle that has crates full of Virgin Mary statues, and they find out that the statues are full of heroin, the very drug that Charlie was addicted to before the crash. Sayid later in the season finale takes Charlie on a mission to recover Claire's baby and on the way they pass the plane. Sayid, not knowing that Charlie is a recovering heroin addict, shows him the statues. It is later revealed that Charlie took some of the statues from that plane with him, but never breaks them open. Later in season two, it is revealed that one of the survivors from the tail section, who happens to be from Nigeria (where the plane hailed from) was the brother of one of the dead priests that was found with the beach-craft, and in his flashbacks it is revealed that he was responsible for the heroin getting in those statues, and from there on that plane and to the island.[/spoiler]

Fair warning: I revealed quite a bit in that spoiler tag about what happens later in the story, so read at your own risk.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:20 pm

omfg...

Just got through "Born to Run", and that scene with Claire giving Charlie a haircut was too cute.

I love how Sawyer's voice soothes the baby too ^^;

(I don't really think those count as a spoiler =P)
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:35 pm

Sylphiel wrote:I love how Sawyer's voice soothes the baby too ^^;
I thought that was absolutely hilarious.

Something else I've noticed throughout the course of the show, in relation to Sawyer--I think that the only person he hasn't been outright mean to is Claire. I mean that he's been mean or antagonistic to everyone else, but I've never seen him act that way towards Claire. Even after she has the baby.
Come join the party.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:20 pm

jupiter23 wrote:Something else I've noticed throughout the course of the show, in relation to Sawyer--I think that the only person he hasn't been outright mean to is Claire. I mean that he's been mean or antagonistic to everyone else, but I've never seen him act that way towards Claire. Even after she has the baby.
Well, it's funny, the first time I watched through the first 10 episodes or so... I saw things from Jack and the others' PoV, and thought Sawyer was a real jackass. The second time, I saw things a lot more from his PoV... and seriously? The others treated him very rudely 90% of the time. It was like he did one thing, then suddenly became "the bad guy" or scapegoat for everyone. Everything after that, people just assumed he did, even going so far as [spoiler]torturing him and all that without even bothering to ASK if he had the medicine first! Pretty inhumane if you ask me[/spoiler] People have to simplify things and categorize people... they have that need for "the bad guy" to exist, when there are no true "bad guys", we're all a lot of both, and we all have our reasons and motivations. I think Lost shows that really well, which is the main reason I like the show.

So yeah, anyway... its probably because she's the only one who hasn't been antagonistic towards him or accused him of anything. Or maybe simply just because he thinks that, as he says in that one ep (dont remember which), "she likes me". =P

Sorry for the ramble but with this class I'm trained to psychoanalyse these characters to death for 5 page papers every week ;)
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:44 pm

^_^ That's okay. And you have a very good point there. He probably isn't mean to her because he doesn't have a reason to be.

And that episode you are referring to is Episode 20, or the episode where [spoiler]Boone dies and Claire has the baby. [/spoiler]

I have the entire first season on DVD. I'm such a junkie.
Come join the party.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:36 am

One of the things I like that hasn't been mentioned yet is how a bunch of the characters' back-stories are linked. Couple examples:

[spoiler]* Hurly owns a box factory, quite possibly the one John Locke works at
* Sawyer talks with Jack's dad in a bar
* Sawyer was being arrested while Boone was at the police station[/spoiler]

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, but I find it very interesting. I'm really curious how everything will play out as the show goes on.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:48 pm

I have more that many people haven't noticed, and some that come up in season 2 later. So read further at your own risk.

[spoiler]~Dan-san mentioned that Hurley owns the box company that Locke works at. What he didn't mention is that shortly after Hurley won the lottery, he appeared on a news program in Korea in one of either Jin or Sun's flashbacks (I can't remember which one exactly, I believe it was Jin's though).
~Charlie appears in Hurley's flashback in the season finale when they were leaving the hotel to go get on the airplane. Maybe not as big a deal as the others, though.
~Moving on to season 2, Jack actually was in the room when Shannon's dad died. That was the episode that revealed how he met his wife. Later in direct relation to that, Jack appears in Shannon's flashback walking down the hallway while Shannon and her stepmother are recieving the bad news.
~Kate's father is very prevalent in one of Sayid's flashbacks--he was the soldier that captured Sayid during the Gulf War. He is even shown looking at a picture of Kate at one point.
~In one of Sawyer's flashbacks, he's at a diner with a colleage. It happens to be the same diner that Kate's mother works at. In fact, she is Sawyer's waitress. [/spoiler]

That is all I can remember right now. I'm sure I can come up with more later.

And one more thing you might find interesting that I don't know if you might have already heard about, and I'll put it in spoiler tags if you don't want to know immediately; [spoiler]later this season, perhaps before the season finale, but sources confirm definetly this season, they are supposed to reveal what caused Flight 815 to crash.[/spoiler]
Come join the party.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:52 pm

From the amount of the times I've now watched Lost episodes, and the 55 pages (no joke, each week is a 5 pager.. x11) of paperness that I've written so far for 420, I've noticed a lot of stuff about it. I see the episodes once through for the class, then I ended up downloading later eps and watching ahead, so I had to rewatch them, then watch them again with Dan, and probably watch again them with Paul later on. So... again, many times.

And I can now officially say that I don't actually hate any character in the show. That's seriously something.

I started out hating Shannon. How can you not? She's a completely typical dumb blonde who's lazy and an utter bitch. But now it's almost a love/hate relationship. I guess that's why I don't really hate her anymore. She's not perfect. She doesn't play nice. She's angry, irrational, and whiny. She's got major issues and a shitload of faults. She's unlikeable, and fucked up. Which is exactly why she could be a real person.

Then I hated Kate. Oooh look at me, I'm pretty and I can stand around and pout a lot. I'm ruthless, selfish, cold-hearted, and I lie about everything. And a lot of her backstory just seemed... retarded. But after watching 'Born to Run' for the 3rd time today in class, in my current state... I could really relate. She too is fucked up, has faults, could be a real person, and is majorly misunderstood. She loved someone and it caused her nothing but pain. She committed a crime (which I have an idea of, but still don't know all the details) for something in her shitty past and is basically labeled as a criminal for the rest of her entire life. Nobody understands her at all, and nobody really tries to.

I used to like Jack. Now? He's just pissing me the fuck off. And by now, I mean where I current am... end of Season 1, early Season 2. He's getting a lot less real and whole lot more Irritating TV character Gary Stu (male form of Mary Sue, for those who don't know what that means). I just want to bitchslap him and tell him to stop wangsting. Seriously, wtf does he really have to wangst about compared to the rest of the people on the island who've had truly fucked up pasts? Yeah being a doctor is hard. but it was his choice, and he's practically worshipped by everybody... he has nothing to bitch about. And like... I guess its a Season 2 thing, but since the season started, I've noticed he constantly starts screaming and raising his voice at everybody (especially Locke) all the time for NO REASON. It's totally Brick from Anchorman .. "I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT WE ARE SHOUTING ABOUT!!! LOUD NOISES!!!!!" lol. uggggh. just ugh.

*bitchslaps Jack and hugs everyone else*
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:00 pm

*waves hands around frantically* jupiter knows what Kate did!!!!!

I won't tell you unless you want to really want me to or unless you want to find out for yourself. Either way, keep watching season 2. They explain it later.

They also kind of reveal why Jack has become a bitch at that point. I don't know how much of season 2 you have seen, but [spoiler]when they are returning from the Black Rock at the end of season 1, after being chased by the resident monster (which gets shown in season 2, it's quite surprising what it actually turns out to be. Again, I won't spoil unless you want me to.) with several sticks of dynamite that is sweating nytro glycerin and is very unstable, and then the other general stuff that happened since then, I can understand his bitchiness, because his nerves have been streched to the limit. I'd be cranky about it too. And like you said, they are seeming more and more like they could be real people. And by the way, also in season 2, they reveal why Shannon became such a bitch. I won't reveal the exact circumstances, but she arrived at the decision that noone really cared about her at all, so why should she care about herself? She felt like even Boone was abandoning her. Like I said, if you are at where I think you are at, I won't reveal any more than that. [/spoiler]

They are also at the end of season 2, so if there is something that you just want me to spoil the hell out of so you can better understand it, just say the word.

And by the way, I have even found that if you want to understand everything that is happening on this show, then it is best to watch the episodes again. Tape them if you must. I usually find myself catching something I hadn't noticed the first time around.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:18 am

As I said, I know what her crime was (through too many spoilers from Lost fansites, lol :/) but I don't know the details.

I'm currently only up to "Orientation" in S2. That's the last one I saw, anyway. I'm in the process of slowing DL-ing them and watching them from itunes.

And yeah, watching the episodes through multiple times definitely helps. I notice a lot more and my view on things changes. I've seen every Season 1 episode three times now.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:56 am

I had to go to my main source (www.tvguide.com) to figure out how far into S2 you were. You aren't very far from the episode that explains why Kate committed her crime, so I'll let you watch for yourself.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Sat May 06, 2006 6:04 pm

I'm now up to "The 23rd Psalm" in S2.

I must admit, I wasn't all that impressed with Season 2 when it started out, but dang... it's been getting REALLY good. "Abandoned" through "What Kate Did" have all been amazing eps. I wanna try to get caught up so I can start watching it on TV finally.

And I must say that I actually like Ana-Lucia. I'm probably the only LOST fan who does =P
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Sat May 06, 2006 7:38 pm

I kind of liked her too. She is/was/is/was a really deep person, and I liked that they made her a hard-ass and gave her a reason to be (her group constantly being attacked by The Others, for instance, on top of the plane crash itself). A bit of an Ana Lucia spoiler for you, and one I don't think warrants spoiler tags, is that they will have another Ana Lucia flashback episode that will explain what she was doing in Australia, and who (you might not be surprised to find out, but at the same time you probably will) she went there with.

And I can't wait for the season finale of this one. It's supposed to finally explain why their plane crashed.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat May 27, 2006 8:52 pm

I have no idea what LOST is about, but I was on spawn.com and they released some news that they'll be making figures of the characters from the show Linky

Just thought some of you might find this interesting.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Sat May 27, 2006 8:56 pm

OMG, that Charlie figure is AWESOME. <333

*IS GETTING THAT WHEN IT COMES OUT*

Actually, if they aren't too expensive (which from the quality of that one, it looks like they probably will be x_x)... I'd get them all =D

Speaking of LOST, I've seen all of Season 2 now. The season finale which was on Wednesday was amazing!
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.

To those whod ground me

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Sat May 27, 2006 9:13 pm

I've heard of the action figures, and I'm personally not very interested.

And the season 2 finale almost made me fall off my bed. My sister and I were watching it, and when they finally revealed what made the plane crash, we were both like "What the Hell!?!?!?!?!?" But that scene at the very end has me incredibly interested now.