So...what are kids these days being taught in school?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

So...what are kids these days being taught in school?

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Apparently it doesn't include literacy

(In the print edition, they showed a picture of eleven words, including such abominations as "artigle", "Goverment", "hight" and "anashment". The only correct word out of the 11 displayed was "Improvement").

Now, most will ph34r my l33t spelling skills. But even so, if kids who can txt by the age of 5 are failing basic literacy, I have to wonder what's wrong.

Here is what kids got 50 years ago: http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/maths/ (of course, my knowledge of British currency in 1955 sucks).

And also: One person's view on the New Math
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:33 pm

They're growing up to be chatspeaking N00Bs!

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:11 pm

No, they're growing up to be uneducated idiots. It makes me weep for this nation if they're the future. :(
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:37 pm

The main problem I have with the school system where I live is the curiculum. For some reason Phoenics is no longer taught in elementary schools and it doesnt start in intermediate either. Other then that I think for a rural area they make very good use of the small amount of funds they do recieve. I dont blame the schools I blame whoever controls what funding they get whether its state or federal government. Our kids are getting the shaft when it comes to proper curiculums heck alot of schools have to beg for private funds just to keep art and music. Something that has proven to help well round kids especially in poorer areas. And here Gym is now an optional class which isnt helping the rampant obesity but hiring the proper teachers for such courses cost money the schools simply do not have.

Its why I have been given serious thought to home schooling my son when the time came, my only problem with it would be the lack of socialization. But several of my friends who are parents are contemplating the same thing. Its rough I know if I scrimped enough I can put my kid into a private school around here, but as with most really good schools ive already had to start the process of trying to get my foot in the door. Its crazy that you even have to worry about things like that but if you want a decent education for you kid you have to be prepared from the moment you find out your having them if you go the private school route. I just hope one day something will give where people put more focus on the education their kids are not getting and something is done to fix this.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:54 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:I dont blame the schools I blame whoever controls what funding they get whether its state or federal government. Our kids are getting the shaft when it comes to proper curiculums heck alot of schools have to beg for private funds just to keep art and music.
Yes, and if we didn't spend so much money sending people to prison, we'd have more money for schools. And if we spent more money on schools, we'd have less people going to prison. :D *stops herself from going on an off-topic rant about mandatory minimum sentencing and the legal system*

But anyway, if you're seriously thinking about home-schooling, it shouldn't be too hard to get your son some social interaction. Little league sports and hobby clubs are always a good choice, and depending on where you live, there are actually groups of home-school parents who get together on set days to let their kids interact.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:01 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:
Senshi_of_Vision wrote:I dont blame the schools I blame whoever controls what funding they get whether its state or federal government. Our kids are getting the shaft when it comes to proper curiculums heck alot of schools have to beg for private funds just to keep art and music.
Yes, and if we didn't spend so much money sending people to prison, we'd have more money for schools. And if we spent more money on schools, we'd have less people going to prison. :D *stops herself from going on an off-topic rant about mandatory minimum sentencing and the legal system*

But anyway, if you're seriously thinking about home-schooling, it shouldn't be too hard to get your son some social interaction. Little league sports and hobby clubs are always a good choice, and depending on where you live, there are actually groups of home-school parents who get together on set days to let their kids interact.

Cool I didnt know they had groups for parents who home school their kids though now adays that shouldnt suprize me. Its going to still be a last resort for me I still like to believe in structured education and I would like to have my child with the same memories I had of dedicated teachers who put his education first and foremost. But if I cannot find a school around this area with a decent curiculum and if the private schools are too much it will definately be homeschooling with help of course. Heck even private tutoring maybe better because ive seen too many kids passed along this system that shouldnt.

Case example my uncles graduation from junior high to highschool. The ceremony was long and what made it worst was the Valedictorian's obvious lack of grammar skills. Half the speech was incomprehensible and she used so much slang that it left me wondering "if this is the top of the class what the heck were they pushing up into the high school system? Its a scary thought.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:24 pm

I could go on and on...

at my district... random cirriculum changes because the 'brilliant' legislators don't understand anything in Michigan...
1. No 5th grade band
2. Conic sections are taught in Algebra 2. Including Rotations. kill me now.
3. All non-AP English classes are now grouped together. Thus, I am in a class with 70% white trash.
4. We don't care if you are safe, we're going to give you a teacher that's on the path to the sex offender's list.
5. ADHD with Calculus teachers is fun! =D
6. Lets drop our history AP class, even though our other one, AP US has so many kids pass the test, that if you don't its an anomaly!
7. Grammer = bad. Vocabulary = bad.

Oh--did I mention that some "GENIUS" in the Legislature decided that an amendment to allow TEACHERS TO CARRY GUNS IN SCHOOL would be a good idea?

... yeeeeeah...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:30 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:Oh--did I mention that some "GENIUS" in the Legislature decided that an amendment to allow TEACHERS TO CARRY GUNS IN SCHOOL would be a good idea?

... yeeeeeah...
Woah now thats too far, I know that there are plenty of kids and teens with discipline problems. I like to call them the types that I hope get themselves together or get picked off by natural selection depending on the level of their deliquency but I dont think any Teacher with an ounce of self respect would ever want to carry a gun to school. I dont even see how any politician could think to get something so ridiculos passed. I mean the precedent it would set asside, funding is set for most schools to prevent guns being brought in by students as it is. To have a teacher brandish one really would set a bad example and lead to many potentially dangerous senarios. I hope to god whoever is for this never gets it passed cause that seriously is some fucked up nonsense right there. (Pardon my language but wow that upset me)

Banana
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Banana » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:39 pm

The links don't work. :|

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:02 am

Banana wrote:The links don't work. :|
The links are also over a year old.

"Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:30 pm"

Parallax just bumped an old thread.
yoshmaster5 wrote:Oh--did I mention that some "GENIUS" in the Legislature decided that an amendment to allow TEACHERS TO CARRY GUNS IN SCHOOL would be a good idea?
Actually, that was legal in the US up until 1995 when congress passed the Safe Schools Act (or whatever it was called).

*shrugs* I don't really have an opinion on the issue right now (I haven't thought it over long enough), but it's not some sort of unprecedented action.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by yoshmaster5 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:57 pm

*shakes head* I still don't understand how that is a good idea.

My mom, when hearing of this: "I can see the headline now. 'Student kills teacher with teacher's gun.' no, worse yet... 'Teacher kills student.' How is this going to help?"

And senshi of vision, agreed... it's screwed up. That's because it's someone in politics who doesn't understand ANYTHING other than how to get re-elected. *remembers teh calc teacher going off on how he was trying to explain to congressmen how the ACT works* ... yeah...
-Adam Picard-

Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:08 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:*shakes head* I still don't understand how that is a good idea.

My mom, when hearing of this: "I can see the headline now. 'Student kills teacher with teacher's gun.' no, worse yet... 'Teacher kills student.' How is this going to help?"
You don't understand?

How about when another crazed gunman enters the school, like it has been happenign so much lately, the teacher has the protection to protect her students, the staff, and herself? How about if we take down the aggressor before 20-100 students wind up dead?

If one has a concealed license, one should have the right to use it and protect oneself. With the violence going on in schools, how can you NOT see this as an okay idea? I know that I wish I could have had MY gun at the last school I worked at. You don't know what it's like until you've had campus security bring the police and dogs to the classroom across from your pre-k class becuase they suspected weapons in someone's backpack.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:17 pm

I can understand a fear of outsiders getting in and shooting up schools, or even the fear of the student who somehow gets passed the metal detectors. But Id rather see the schools security guards armed then teachers. It just doesnt fit toward teaching kids that guns dont belong in schools if the teachers have them, but of course thats just my opinion. Id rather see a budget where more safety officials were hired and actually paid to patrol school grounds and hallways instead of staying at one station like ive seen done at alot of schools up north. Because even with a concealed permit it only would take one time for a smart ass kid to hear "hey miss Johnson keeps a piece on her in the class" and a little resourceful punk could end up making a situation that was supposed to be for the kids safety into a tradgic event. At least with professional guards they would have little to no contact with the students save checks at check points or seeing them as they patrol the hallways.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by yoshmaster5 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:08 pm

The problem though, Tiff, is that it won't be the situation you describe that is publicized. More than likely, the teacher that protects her students by shooting the intruder won't be the one the media sensationalizes. It will be the student that takes the teachers gun, or the teacher that snaps and shoots a student... because that's how the media seems to work... as sad as it is, tragedy is made famous more than individual heroism.
-Adam Picard-

-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:51 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:The problem though, Tiff, is that it won't be the situation you describe that is publicized. More than likely, the teacher that protects her students by shooting the intruder won't be the one the media sensationalizes. It will be the student that takes the teachers gun, or the teacher that snaps and shoots a student... because that's how the media seems to work... as sad as it is, tragedy is made famous more than individual heroism.
What does that matter? I don't give a shit about what's publicized...what's reality is what's reality. It doesn't MATTER what the media sensationalizes...it matters what really happens. If 20 students are saved by one teacher with a gun, then who gives a shit if the media covers it or not? At least 20 lives were saved, and i'm pretty sure the parents and families of those students would care more about that.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~