Birthday/Christmas presents. Your opinion.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Birthday/Christmas presents. Your opinion.

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:46 am

This is something I've been thinking about for a while, and was wondering what everyone's opinion on it was. Does anyone here have a friend or relative that has a birthday right before Christmas? If you do, how do you handle the whole gift giving thing. Do you give two seperate gifts, one for the birthday and one for Christmas, or do you just give them one gift that's their Birthday and Christmas present?

When I was little, my mom and I visited one of her relatives. The relatives daughter had a birthday right before Christmas and mom did the one gift "this is you B-day/Christmas present" thing, and growing up that's what I thought a person should do.

Well, my friend Robyn has her Birthday five days before Christmas and doesn't appriciate the whole one gift for both occasions way of thinking. Now she's not a bitch about it or anything, and I can kind of see where she's coming from, but I don't think it makes me a cheap bastard if I get her one thing, as long as it's not something useless and stupid.

See this is what I think should be the options:

1.) Two gifts for both occasions or

2.) One gift for both occasions, but it's a good gift.

Any thoughts on this? Or suggestions?
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:03 am

Personally I would get two presents for both occasions, unless you really can't afford two presents. To me givingg one present sends the message of, "It's too much of a hassle and I can't be bothered to get you two presents." Besides, the reason for a Christmas present and a birthday present are different. It's also unfair to the person since everyone else gets seperate presents just because they're not close to Christmas.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:09 am

Kameko
Personally I would get two presents for both occasions, unless you really can't afford two presents. To me givingg one present sends the message of, "It's too much of a hassle and I can't be bothered to get you two presents." Besides, the reason for a Christmas present and a birthday present are different. It's also unfair to the person since everyone else gets seperate presents just because they're not close to Christmas.
See, this is what she explained to me and I agree. The problem was, especially in highschool, was that I wanted to buy gifts for all my friends, which came to about five or six people depending on what grade I was in at the time, as well as my parents and my brother. And the fact that I never had a job during highschool made things especially tricky. So I'd always try to get Robyn something a bit better then what I was able to get for everyone else.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:18 am

I agree with your friend and with Kameko. My mom's birthday is Jan. 2nd, which isn't TOO close to christmas, but close enough. We always did something seperate, and got her seperate presents. I thikn that her birthday should be acknowledged and celebrated just as much as she celebrates everyone else's.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Blackat
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Location: The only place where you can find Kangaroos in your backyard.

Post by Blackat » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:23 am

I've run into this problem many times before - my Mum's birthday is on Boxing Day, my Nephew's birthday is on the 20th of December, and mine's on the 5th of January! XD

With Mum's birthday, we always get her two seperate gifts to make her feel better, because when she was a kid she never got proper Birthday parties because of the time of year and all. The same goes for my nephew. As for me, I've always had Birthday parties, but only recently I've stopped having them because it just gets too difficult with people going on holidays and such. With presents, I can usually get away with asking for one big present for both Christmas and my Birthday. (Last year I asked for an ipod mini!) But often I get seperate presents for both, but it really all depends on our money situtation and such.

I guess the whole issue depends on how it's handled and what's traditional in your family.

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:05 am

I don't think I've ever ran into this problem before. However, I give gifts for two separate occasions simply because it's the nice thing to do.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:52 am

If you'll bring up your calendar, you'll see that my birthday is on the 21st. So it's always been an issue for my family. When I was little, there were enough toys and things I wanted that everyone could get me both a birthday present and a christmas present. But as I grew older, I made a deal that people should give me cash for my birthday and a present for xmas. And on some occassions, I was able to arrange a recurring birthday present--my aunt every year renews my subscription to the Reader's Digest.

Actually, it's been getting harder and harder to tell people what I want. There's something just plain wrong about telling your grandmother that you want her to buy you a hentai dating sim off of J-list.com.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:02 pm

My birthday is an exact week before Christmas eve, and yes, it kind of makes me feel left out if I get one present that is supposed to cover my birthday and Christmas. Nearly everyone else I know gets separate gifts on their birthdays, so why should it be any different for me just because my birthday is so close to Christmas? I can understand if they do it because they don't have a lot of money like me, but I still try to get people separate gifts for their birthdays and for Christmas when their birthdays are close to Christmas.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:22 pm

My step-father's birthday is New Year's Eve. I always make sure to get him two presents, though I don't think he'd mind terribly if I got him one really great gift. But then, he's a fairly easy-going man.

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:43 pm

My sister's birthday is on Dec. 17, so it's aways been an issue in our family. Most of the time, people gave her one present as a birthday/Christmas gift. She always complained for the reasons other people already mentioned.

So, I think it's better to get two seperate presents for the person if you can afford it. Or get them one really big and expensive present like an X-Box 360 to make up for it.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:40 am

my friends sometimes complain because my birthday is Feb 1st. Far enough away from Christmas to be sort of comfortable with the idea of a separate gift, but still too soon to plan after christmas. (or so they say) Frankly I always feel it clashes with Valentine's Day.

Personally I agree with everyone. Two gifts are always polite and shows that you're being thoughtful of your friend's special day. (every birthday is special to me) Everyone likes to feel remembered on that day. Lumping it in with Christmas kind of feels frustrating. A friend of mine did that one year. Why I'm not sure. I just remember that it hurt some.

The only time I think one gift is acceptable is if you're having buget issues. That's not something you can always work around. Good friends usually understand. And like everyone says, if you give a really awesome gift, it takes a little of the sting off.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:13 pm

found this topic while searching to make sure I didnt make a duplicate for another idea. with my best female friends birthday on the 26th of december my best friend in the whole world on Jan 12, my mom on feb 2nd and my son on feb 18th it gets pretty tough, so what I try to do is get them one significant gift on christmas then on their birthdays that way both days are acknowledged and my wallet doesnt scream uncle too much. Right now I got James one big gift for christmas and some dollar tree toys for his stocking and for his birthday i'll get him another big gift or maybe a couple little ones. Its just easier then trying to lump it all in one day it really isnt fair to a person to combine gifts specially since we dont have any real control over when were born lol.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:58 pm

My birthday is exactly a week before Christmas, and I get "Happy Christmas Birthday" cards all the time! It used to bug me, but it's ok now. People usually make sure to give me something on both days.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

silsmile
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by silsmile » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:01 pm

I think it's fine to give just one gift for each day, two if you're generous. I think it evens out.