The Boondocks

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

The Boondocks

Post by Jonathan » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:27 pm

Has anyone seen this show on Adult Swim? It's hilarious. It's The Boondocks comic strip coming alive in a vibrant anime style.

It comes on Cartoon Network Sundays at 11pm. Check it out. It's great.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:21 pm

I saw it for the first time last night. Pretty funny, although I don't really care for the use of the 'n-word'. The show itself looks amazing, Adult Swim actually paid more than a dollar to produce a show! :lol:

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:57 pm

I have mixed feelings. I caught the first episode, and laughed a bit..but then the massive use of ebonics got to me so badly that I had to turn it off. Seriously. I couldn't stand it...and to me, it just perpetuates another stereotype.

I very much like the art style, but as for the show itself...too irritating for my tastes.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:07 pm

Based on the comic, I will not watch the show. In the beginning, it was funny, being about Huey who follows the urban culture but lives in the white neighborhood, but as it grew it made it seem like Huey was the proper culture and everyone else was backward and lame. Basically it's far too left-wing for me.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:48 pm

It should be more like the comic strip, IMO. Right now, it just seems like McGruder is capitalizing on the anime-style that's been part of the reason for his strip's success, and using that to overhype his show. I just saw a commercial for the latest episode, and had it not been for the title screen, I would have confused it for Samurai Champloo.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:36 pm

I've only seen the Boondocks once. It was the episode where they put R. Kelly on trial. I didn't really pay much attention to it, though.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:00 am

Umino wrote: The show itself looks amazing, Adult Swim actually paid more than a dollar to produce a show!
*snort* XD That comment made me laugh. My sister and I were just talking about how horrible and cheap the new shows are looking. It's gotten to the point where I rarely watch the Sunday line-up anymore. Which is sad because AS Sundays used to be my favorite.
Starscream wrote:I just saw a commercial for the latest episode, and had it not been for the title screen, I would have confused it for Samurai Champloo.
The opening credits was very Samurai Champloo-ish to me. The beats and rhythm of the opening song is similar to the opening of Samurai Champloo. Even the silhouette animations where done similar to it.

I kinda like the Boondocks. I've never read the comic, mind you. I've just seen the show. Much like Umino, I'm not fond of the n-word. Especially when used that often, but I found the show to be pretty funny. I was afraid that it was going to be a "whitie is stoopid" thing, especially after seeing the rich guy's son from Iraq, but it wasn't really all that horrible. I laughed my ass off on the first two. I missed latest episode though. I'm going to have to catch it on Saturday.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:58 am

I, too, have only seen the R. Kelly episode, and am afraid to watch anymore. The comic strip was awesome around the 1999-2002 era, but recently it's been pretty boring. And though I like the art of the show, I don't like the lack of animation, nor the constant swearing.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:24 pm

I've throughouly enjoyed the show so far. I've liked the strip and I think the show takes the strip to the next level. Though some of you don't like the animation style used, I think it works perfect. For one, the characters all look excatly the same as they do in the strip which is a huge plus. Another thing is that they're at least using a style that works. Their other ventures lately have been, disappointing to say the least, especially Tom Goes to the Mayor and 12 oz Mouse. While it looks like a lot of people here don't like the swearing and the use of the n-word, I welcome it. Aaron has a lot of freedom of what he can do now that he's using a different medium on a network where he has freedom about what can be done. He can finally take his product and present it in a way he couldn't before, and I applaud that. This is Adult Swim, and it's about time that an actual adult-oriented show aired on it. And I think I'm far from the only one who thinks that, it's the first non-Seth show to get 1million+ on the ratings for AS.

Also, since this isn't anime or manga, the topic has been moved to off topic.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:40 am

MarioKnight wrote:I've throughouly enjoyed the show so far. I've liked the strip and I think the show takes the strip to the next level. Though some of you don't like the animation style used, I think it works perfect. For one, the characters all look excatly the same as they do in the strip which is a huge plus. Another thing is that they're at least using a style that works. Their other ventures lately have been, disappointing to say the least, especially Tom Goes to the Mayor and 12 oz Mouse. While it looks like a lot of people here don't like the swearing and the use of the n-word, I welcome it.
1) Animation style: I love it. I think it's awesome. I think the art is quite lovely, and you're right, it does match the comic strip.

2) God, I HATE both of those shows. *STABS*

3) The use of the n-word doesn't bother me. What does bother me is exactly what's shown int his cartoon...if I were to walk around saying "nigger", i'd get my ass kicked by a barrage of black people. But it's perfectly okay for black people to use it on eachother, or themselves. THAT'S what bothers me. And watching this show and hearing the black characters throw it around just reminds me of that. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:00 am

Tiff wrote:The use of the n-word doesn't bother me. What does bother me is exactly what's shown int his cartoon...if I were to walk around saying "nigger", i'd get my ass kicked by a barrage of black people. But it's perfectly okay for black people to use it on eachother, or themselves. THAT'S what bothers me. And watching this show and hearing the black characters throw it around just reminds me of that. It's a pet peeve of mine.
You are not alone as this also is a pet peeve of mine. There are a lot of black kids at my college and I've the word nigger used not only by them but in the music they listen too. And yet they want me to respect them but I can't respect someone who uses such derogatory language on themselves.
While I haven't actually watched The Boondocks, I have seen the commercials and it is easily the best looking show that Cartoon Network has produced.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:06 am

Kameko wrote:
You are not alone as this also is a pet peeve of mine. There are a lot of black kids at my college and I've the word nigger used not only by them but in the music they listen too. And yet they want me to respect them but I can't respect someone who uses such derogatory language on themselves.
While I haven't actually watched The Boondocks, I have seen the commercials and it is easily the best looking show that Cartoon Network has produced.
And it wouldn'te ven bother me so much if it weren't for that fact that I'd get MY ass kicked for saying it. They want to use it on themselves? Fine. But don't get pissed at me if I want to use it. It's total hypocrisy.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:11 am

I think I've seen ads on webpages (like pop ups but not as annoying) for this show. I thought the animation looked alright, nothing special though. But that's pretty cool if they kept it accurate to the comics. This show strikes me as something Teletoon might pick, so if it ends up on Canada's shores I'll check it out.

Second Tiffu and Kameko on the pet peeve, but at least you guys didn't go to school with an East Indian girl who kept reffering to my very white friend Robin as Nigger. Those were always "What...the fuck?" moments. She'd always come up to her and say "Hey nigger, what's up!" Loudyly. Infront of everyone in my class.

....or maybe you have been in that situation o___0.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:11 pm

Tiff wrote:3) The use of the n-word doesn't bother me. What does bother me is exactly what's shown int his cartoon...if I were to walk around saying "nigger", i'd get my ass kicked by a barrage of black people. But it's perfectly okay for black people to use it on eachother, or themselves. THAT'S what bothers me. And watching this show and hearing the black characters throw it around just reminds me of that. It's a pet peeve of mine.
Well, a little while back, the Opera Winfrey show was talking about racsism in the USA, and a black man was talking about the use of the word "nigger". He said that black people don't actually use it with the "E,R" at the end, but with an "A". So, if a black person is heard saying that, then their saying "nigga", instead. So, he was basically trying to say that the "E,R" ending was bad, and the "A" ending was fine.

Anyway... Sorry for probably sounding stupid, I'll get back on topic, now.......

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:30 pm

Neon Heart wrote: Well, a little while back, the Opera Winfrey show was talking about racsism in the USA, and a black man was talking about the use of the word "nigger". He said that black people don't actually use it with the "E,R" at the end, but with an "A". So, if a black person is heard saying that, then their saying "nigga", instead. So, he was basically trying to say that the "E,R" ending was bad, and the "A" ending was fine.

Anyway... Sorry for probably sounding stupid, I'll get back on topic, now.......
...You don't sound stupid..but the guy does. That's probably one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Okay. I'm going to start calling myfriends "mothafucka". it's not the same as "motherfucker", becuase it ends with an A instead of an ER.

-_-

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:36 pm

So I'll just add "a" to words and that'll make them less offensive.

Shut ya fucka cracka mouth up ya cracka ass cracka.

Oh wait, that's an insult to white people so it's okay.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:00 pm

peachvampiress wrote:So I'll just add "a" to words and that'll make them less offensive.

Shut ya fucka cracka mouth up ya cracka ass cracka.

Oh wait, that's an insult to white people so it's okay.
OMG, that's probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen. XD *hands Peachy a cookie*

isaisa
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by isaisa » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:17 am

Hmm...hispanics say it...well...hispanics who are trying to be black and "ghetto" say it. Is it derogatory to call hispanics beaners? I'm hispanic, and I always say it and I said it once and my friend looked shocked. She said that she would never be able to say that in front of hispanic people. Personally, I'm not offended by it. But Iunno...that's just me. Okay...I think that was off-topic. I haven't seen the show yet, but I like the strip and it always makes me laugh. The last strip I saw was Riley looking like Huey and getting Huey in trouble. Heh.
R.I.P. Jennifer Blanco 11/09/87 - 11/13/05

"I go with the flow. Whatever music you play for me, I will dance."
- Gael Garcia Bernal

I AM BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:59 pm

I pretty much hate it whenever someone uses the 'n-word'. No matter what the ending I still don't like the word. I will admit though, sometimes when it's used awkwardly it can be funny. I have a friend (family friend in fact) that's half black, but don'st look like it at all. She looks Latino really, which is funny since there in'st Latino in her family. But she loves to trick people, and fool them about her nationality. Once at a party, she's talking to a group of girls and said:

"Oh yeah, them ni[---]s be crazy"

*Dead Silence in the Room*

"Oh, it's okay everybody. Her dad's black"

*Party goes on*

Hehe. I always crack up when I tell that story. /off-topic

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:09 pm

Being black myself, it's supid how we have do that double standard. I don't understand it.
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office