Bullying

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Bullying

Post by DreamEmpress » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:55 pm

A few months ago I saw 'Odd Girl Out' on lifetime. It's about a girl who gets bullied at school and via the internet. You know the basic girls turning on one girl thing. It made me think for a bit and then I just forgot about it until I saw the news a couple days ago. It talked about internet bullying and the effects it has on kids. One girl moved across the country to get away from it and another boy commited sucide. Now it's getting my attention big time.

I remember back in when I was in school. Bullying was basically either getting beat up regularly or being harrassed by your so called peers. This usually took place at school and it stayed there. (There are exceptions to every case) You got home and for at least a few hours you got away from it until the next day. Now it seems to be not only are you getting a dose of that, you also get to come home to online messages tell you how worthless you are. It's a little distrubing to think my future children some day may have to deal with that.

Personally, I had to deal with the harrassment part. I was the geeky shy one who every so often ran into those who felt I deserved to be picked on. One girl was bothering my best friend and so I told her what I thought. Unfortunately she decided to switch targets. To this day, I still don't know how she got my phone number. (She called and tried to imperonate my friend) This went on until the school board finally stepped in and suspended her.

I just wanted your thoughts on this. Experiences, thoughts, ect. Not just about online bullying either.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:57 pm

DreamEmpress
It talked about internet bullying and the effects it has on kids. One girl moved across the country to get away from it
How does moving across the country help you get away from bullies on the Internet?
Now it seems to be not only are you getting a dose of that, you also get to come home to online messages tell you how worthless you are.
Surely you can block them from whatever program they're using (msn and what not). I don't use instant messages and stuff like that, but I was under the impression that you can block people from sending you messages.

Sorry to hear that you got teased DreamEmpress. I'm glad that your bully got suspended and recieved some sort of punishment for her actions.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:41 am

That's the stuff I didn't quite understand when I saw the report. I use messengers that can block messages. In fact, I set my MSN messager to ask for permission for anyone to even message me. But these are kids and they don't always think to use that feature or they might be using ones that don't have it. I'm not sure mainly because they didn't say what they were using, just that it was a growing problem. Sometimes you can be in such shock that you don't even think of a logical solution. Some of these incidents sounded like they weren't just random, like they were several messages almost at once or something.

As for the girl who moved, her bullies were from her school. I'm guessing it stopped because they didn't see her in school anymore and considered her not worth their time to track down. Who really knows.

I just can't understand why anyone would even go to the trouble of trying to harrass others at home. Life must be dull if they have that much free time to devote to that.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:49 pm

Your last sentence pretty much answered it there. They usually harrass other kids at school because they have nothing better to do with their own time. I was only glad I didn't have internet access when I was in Junior High. Though once, when I was in 7th grade, some girls found out my grandparent's phone number and tried calling them to get my home number. It was a good thing my grandmother is cool, because she asked me if I was in fact friends with those girls and if it would be alright for them to have my number if I was. I told her I wasn't friends with them, and that no, they couldn't have my number. I found out at school later that they were trying to get in contact with me because they wanted to give me a makeover. Because when I was in 7th grade, I was one of only maybe three or four other girls in my entire 7th grade class who didn't believe in caking makeup on my face or wearing the latest fashion in clothes. Those girls just didn't (or refused) to see my point of view and wanted to try to give me the makeover anyway. I told them to leave me alone and to not ever call my family again. They barely ever spoke to me again.

Well, that may not really count as bullying, but I still didn't like it. Though I ended up a target through most of the rest of 7th grade and all through 8th grade because most of the people, not just the girls, at this school were stuck up. I was only too glad that I had to switch schools after 8th grade, so I never saw them again.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:51 pm

DreamEmpress
As for the girl who moved, her bullies were from her school. I'm guessing it stopped because they didn't see her in school anymore and considered her not worth their time to track down. Who really knows.
Ahh, okay. It sounded like this girl just got some messages online and moved across the country because of it. Which wouldn't really make sense.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:27 pm

I really don't like how bullying is expanding now because of computers and the internet. I also saw Odd Girl Out when it premiered on Lifetime (I usually don't like Lifetime movies but this one I found interesting). I have been teased before in school, mostly by guys and some girls too. I have also been teased by my cousins and one time one of them humiliated me in front of a few other people by saying that I wasn't 'feminine' enough. I have been talked about behind my back before. I don't get as teased as much in high school right now, but I usually get made fun of more with my cousins, I try to ignore them but sometimes I feel like giving them a piece of my mind (which probably won't work, and I 'd probably get in trouble).

Jupiter23:
found out at school later that they were trying to get in contact with me because they wanted to give me a makeover. Because when I was in 7th grade, I was one of only maybe three or four other girls in my entire 7th grade class who didn't believe in caking makeup on my face or wearing the latest fashion in clothes. Those girls just didn't (or refused) to see my point of view and wanted to try to give me the makeover anyway. I told them to leave me alone and to not ever call my family again. They barely ever spoke to me again.

It happens to me too, girls would go up to me and tell me 'I could give you a make over' and even one of my cousins (not the ones that tease me, this is an older one) asked me if she could make me over. I told her no and she's like 'I know why, it's because you don't have a boyfriend'. Really, so when I get a boyfriend I'm required to get a make over :shock: give me a break woman.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:44 am

Usually, the people who bully are the ones who are insecure with themselves. So they take it out on other people to make themselves feel good. These are usually, but not always, the people who will grow up insecure.

I used to get teased a lot for what I wore, how my hair looked, my teeth, everything. It wasn't right for me to do, now that I look back on it, but in 8th grade, I got tired of it, and in retaliation, I'd play off of the bullies insecurities, to give them a taste of their own medicine. They never bullied me, again.

I know in eastern Missouri, earlier this year, or last, maybe two years ago, a woman (yes, a grown woman) made a fake Myspace page, posing as a boy who went to a 14 year old's high school. The woman regularly messaged the girl about how worthless she was, how no one liked her and never will, and how she should just kill herself. The girl had an emotional problem... and she did end up killing herself. Now, because of this, and I don't know about anywhere else, but cyber bullying is now a felony in the state of Missouri, and I think you can go to jail for it, now.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:19 am

Wrong though it may sound, sometimes the only way to get a bully to leave you alone is to do just what you did and give them a taste of their own medicine. Bullies are only looking for a reaction, and if the one you give them turns their behavior back on them, then it's usually enough to make them leave you alone.

And that wasn't the only element to that story of the girl and the Myspace page. The woman who posed as the boy actually befriended the girl, who had a history of emotional problems, and then turned on her and started telling her she should kill herself. The most disgusting part of that story is that the woman didn't think she did anything wrong.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:40 am

That woman made the fake myspace page was the mother of one of the girl's (the one who committed suicide) friends . Apparently, the girl was feeling left out and she told her mother and mother thought it would be a great idea to make that fake myspace page. It's complete bullshit. Why couldn't the mother just talk with her daughter and try to find out if her friend was really was leaving her out.

People who usually start bullying mainly are insecure and also have nothing better to do. Those people might also be jealous of that kid they're picking on because he/she is smarter, prettier, more athletic, etc. I know when some girls pick on me because I'm hard-worker who really cares about my grades. I just shrug them off and I just tell to myself 'It's their loss', those girls are usually lazy and never really push themselves.

Sometimes you do have to give those bullies a taste of their own medicine. I remember freshman year there was this one girl, who everyone thought was okay. She used to hang out with two of these other girls. When one girl was not around she would talk about that girl in a bad way, same thing with the other girl. Both of the girls eventually found out about what their "friend"did and got really mad and left her. She also talked behind people's back and one time she called one of my good friends fat and ugly. Pretty much our whole freshman class didn't talk to her because they knew she was being a bitch, she ended up transferring the next year.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:18 am

jupiter23 wrote:Wrong though it may sound, sometimes the only way to get a bully to leave you alone is to do just what you did and give them a taste of their own medicine. Bullies are only looking for a reaction, and if the one you give them turns their behavior back on them, then it's usually enough to make them leave you alone.

And that wasn't the only element to that story of the girl and the Myspace page. The woman who posed as the boy actually befriended the girl, who had a history of emotional problems, and then turned on her and started telling her she should kill herself. The most disgusting part of that story is that the woman didn't think she did anything wrong.
And then there's the person who impersonated Lori Drew on blogspot. I thought that was about as nasty.

(for those who don't know, Lori is the mother who created the "Josh" persona. At that point, the villification was just starting to be worthy of someone like Fred Phelps)
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:08 pm

My nephew (who is six years old and in first grade) was threatened the other day. When my mom was on the phone with my sister, my sister was telling my mom how some punk went up to my nephew and told him to give him all the money(I'm most likely guessing lunch money) if he did not give him the money he would beat him up. My nephew told his mom and she contacted the school. Yet the school told his mom that he received a complaint from one of the teachers that said that another kid told the teacher that he (my nephew) kicked him.

It's terrible that bullying/threatening starts at such a young age. That it can even go on later in life in the workplace.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:54 pm

this is an artcle on a study that was conducted on some aggressive teenage boys with a history of bullying.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-sc ... N-BULLIES/
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!