Sailor _____ (10th Planet Discovered)

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Gawthy
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Gawthy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:29 pm

RoastedTwinkies wrote:I think it's fascinating. It's also logical to name it that way. If not, then at least name it after the person or persons who discovered it. I would hate to see some stupid name for it.
Yeah, like naming it after the Sailor Starlights.

Teacher: Children, What is the farthest planet from the sun?

Kids: STAR HEALER!

On a more serious note if they did continue with the tradition I would be interested to see which God they chose to name it after and the reason they chose that name.

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:18 pm

I heard that they're naming the 10th planet "Xena". For "Xena, Warrior Princess". Some of the scientists are huge "Xena" fans. :oops:
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Luna1986 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:19 pm

Xena! God, what has the naming system come to. I'm just waiting for Naquida (Sargate SG-1) to show up as the next element.

GeneticMosaic
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by GeneticMosaic » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:49 pm

I would like to see the new plante be called Bacchus...
He was the god of wine and partying. How sweet would that be?? And Imagine THAT Senshi!! lol.. It would be incredible.. Ooh! New fanfiction idea.. lol... must write this down.. lol

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:43 am

A "brief" list of solar bodies (aka "what names are already used"):

Mercury
Venus
Earth (Terra)
- Moon (Luna)
Mars
- Phobos - Deimos
Jupiter
- Amalthea - Io - Europa - Ganymede - Callisto - Metis - Adrastea - Thebe - Themisto - Leda - Himalia - Lysithea - Elara - Iocaste - Praxidike - Harpalyke - Ananke - Isonoe - Erinome - Taygete - Caldene - Carme - Pasiphae - Kalyke - Megaclite - Sinope - Callirrhoe
Saturn
- Prometheus - Pandora - Epimetheus - Janus - Mimas - Enceladus - Tethys - Dione - Rhea - Titan - Hyperion - Iapetus - Phoebe - Pan - Atlas - Telesto - Calypso - Helene
Uranus
- Miranda - Ariel - Umbriel - Titania - Oberon - Cordelia - Ophelia - Bianca - Cressida - Desdemona - Juliet - Portia - Rosalind - Belinda - Puck - Caliban - Stephano - Sycorax - Prospero - Setebos
Neptune
- Larissa - Proteus - Triton - Nereid - Naiad - Thalassa - Despina - Galatea
Pluto
- Charon

*(Asteriods)*
Ceres, Pallas, Juno, Vesta, Gaspra, Ida, Eros, Toutatis, Geographos, Kleopatra, Bacchus, Castalia, Chiron, Quaoar, Ixion, Varuna
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:03 am

Huh, I didn't know that Uranus had moons named after characters in Shakespeare's plays.

Personally, I think they should name the new planet Peach (The Peachian people will rule all some day!). Either that or Kinmoku. Kinmoku would be neat, Hell it's a better name than Xena *shudder*
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Trebek
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Trebek » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:24 am

Since Shakespearian characters are fair game, then I vote for Marcellus.

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:17 pm

I think that Belinda would be a good name for a planet.
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:43 pm

Wasn't there one of these a year or two back? I remember they called it Sedna.

Sailor Sedna, (Sailorsedna). Pretty. But Nemesis MIGHT be better. :wink:
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

sailorvenusfan
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by sailorvenusfan » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:07 am

i heared that the new planet was going to be called planet X because its the tenth planet and X is the roman numarel for 10

TonyOctober 2.0
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by TonyOctober 2.0 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:37 pm

How about Venemia?!

Mercurius Twin
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Mercurius Twin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:02 am

Gawthy wrote:
RoastedTwinkies wrote:I think it's fascinating. It's also logical to name it that way. If not, then at least name it after the person or persons who discovered it. I would hate to see some stupid name for it.
Yeah, like naming it after the Sailor Starlights.

Teacher: Children, What is the farthest planet from the sun?

Kids: STAR HEALER!
Hi-larious. Laughed for a good five minutes there. I can see kids doing that.

I agree with pretty much anyone who says it should be named Nemesis. Not only is it a Sailormoon reference, it has history in mythology too. (It was supposed to be in the Earth's orbit, on the exact opposite side of the Sun, and thus unseeable from Earth. Or something like that.)

Personally, I think Kakyuu would make a better name for a star than a planet, but it could work. Kinmoku would be quite cool as well.

Oh, and Peachvampiress, I like your "call it Peach" idea. Gave me an idea. I think that, since it's small and most likely made of rock, as most small planets are, it would be like a temperature-inverse version of Mercury, and thus we should call it...

*drumroll*

..."Mercurius Twin".
What do you guys think?

*silence*

...All right then. Probably wouldn't work anyway. We've got enough kids in the world who can't find their own province on the map. We don't need to confuse them further with two identically named planets. ^_^

EDIT: Decided I have enough quotes without having to steal the Star Healer one as well. Still like it, though.
Last edited by Mercurius Twin on Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three quotes I like:

"Smart. Beautiful. Mercurius Twin."
- The "Sloganize" website

"Stop that, you! You're an accessory."
-Tsukino Usagi (to Luna, ep. 6)

"Stop the clapping! YOU'LL KILL US ALL!!"
- Professor Frink

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:15 am

Wow. :oops: I think I didn't find this topic and posted my other one because I don't usually check the "Off-Topic" forum and I guess I expected this topic to be in the Sailor Moon one or something. I apologize for what I did.

"Nemesis" was, in astronomy, a speculation that there was a twin dark sun to the sun, like a red dwarf or neutron star that orbited the sun from far away and periodically went through the Oort cloud and knocked lots of comets into the Solar System, which caused a regular extinction process. So far as I know, that has been refuted, so the new planet could be named "Nemesis" since the first "Nemesis" object was decided to not really be there.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Mamoru
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mamoru » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:44 pm

The planet is going to be called "Norrisian." That would explain the origin and unbelivable power of Chuck Norris. He was sent here from another planet to protect mankind.

Tony Hawk Homestar
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Re: Sailor _____ (10th Planet Discovered)

Post by Tony Hawk Homestar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:53 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:US Astronomers Claim to Discover Tenth Planet in Solar System

I wonder what name they'll come up for the thing.
Well until the International Astronomical Union decides whether this world billions of miles from Pluto qualifies as a planet, we only have its code name: 2003 UB313. But Jay Leno suggests that we can call it "Goofy".
Distance from the Sun: 38 to 97 times that of the Earth (3.5 billion to more than 9 billion miles)

Length of Day: Not known

Moon(s): At least one, about 155 miles across

Size: Possibly between 1,500 and 2,000 miles in diameter. Larger than Pluto. (1,413 miles)

Length of its year: More than 500 Earth years-Twice as long as Pluto's. If Leonardo da Vinci lived there, he would be celebrating his first birthday right about now.

The info I just posted are from an article in PARADE magazine.
For more information on NASA's New Horizons project and other planetlike worlds beyond Pluto, visit parade.com on the Web.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:31 pm

Late responses kick all sorts of behind-y.
peachvampiress wrote:Huh, I didn't know that Uranus had moons named after characters in Shakespeare's plays.

Personally, I think they should name the new planet Peach (The Peachian people will rule all some day!). Either that or Kinmoku. Kinmoku would be neat, Hell it's a better name than Xena *shudder*
Actually, Xena wouldn't be all that inappropriate for a planet name. It is a variant of Xenia, which means "hospitality" in Greek. Xenia comes from the word Xenos, which means guest/stranger. So it keeps with the classical theme (by being Greek), and it could be fitting for a planet that seems like a stranger to our solar system (due to it's recent discovery and very distant orbit). And, if you really want to stretch it, it could be referred to Planet X, thus relating it to the roman numeral for ten.

Of course, I could be reading too much into it. ^_^;

I'd much rather call the planet "Joxer the Mighty," anyway.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:21 pm

The theme is actually Roman, since techinically Uranus is the only Greek name among the (major) planets ^^ I'm actually partial to Vulcan or Minerva, unless those are already taken by minor planets, as, like NGH, I think they should keep up with established tradition.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:40 am

Starscream wrote:The theme is actually Roman, since techinically Uranus is the only Greek name among the (major) planets ^^ I'm actually partial to Vulcan or Minerva, unless those are already taken by minor planets, as, like NGH, I think they should keep up with established tradition.
Vulcan is available, but given the history of the name, its use is unlikely.

Minerva is, unfortunately, already used. It's a relatively insigifigant asteroid in the main belt. Oddly enough, Minerva was one of the proposed names for the planet Uranus.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Kasumi
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kasumi » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:14 pm

But I thought they already had a name. O.o What now?

I think they called it something like Senum or whatever...

But yes, I also think that the planet's name deserves to be "traditional", but I'd also like a more uncommon name.
;) Hope that my post made any sense.

Tony Hawk Homestar
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Tony Hawk Homestar » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:29 pm

Kasumi wrote:But I thought they already had a name. O.o What now?

I think they called it something like Senum or whatever...

But yes, I also think that the planet's name deserves to be "traditional", but I'd also like a more uncommon name.
;) Hope that my post made any sense.
Some people call it "Planet X".