Sailor _____ (10th Planet Discovered)

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Sailor _____ (10th Planet Discovered)

Post by Aya Reiko » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:36 am

US Astronomers Claim to Discover Tenth Planet in Solar System

I wonder what name they'll come up for the thing.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:24 am

Quick, let's start an online petition to call it Nemesis.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Re: Sailor _____ (10th Planet Discovered)

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:08 am

Move along, no redundant comments to see here

(I swear, I missed the first Nemesis remark!)
Last edited by Jusenkyo no Pikachu on Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:01 pm

I think I had heard about that a while back. For years scientists had been insistent that there was a 10th planet in this solar system. Now they finally found it. Like the others, they will probably name them after Roman Gods. That is my theory, anyway.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Re: Sailor _____ (10th Planet Discovered)

Post by Umino » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:09 pm

Damn it, two people beat me..

I hope they're Sailor Moon fans, because it needs to be NEMESIS!

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:27 pm

But if they call it Nemesis does that mean we get Crystal Tokyo as well?
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:05 pm

One theory I heard went like this: Pluto was named after plutonium, the element. That was picked because it came after neptunium. The element after plutonium is americaum, so the new planet should be called America!
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:19 pm

Ah, yes, the Pereodic Table of the Elements. I hate that table. I remember looking at some of the names in Science class and thinking "Some of these scientists got pretty lazy when it came to making up names". Seriously, Californium? Where's the Canadium?

Nah, I think we should stick with the Roman gods. Or better yet Greek gods since I always liked their names better.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:12 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:One theory I heard went like this: Pluto was named after plutonium, the element. That was picked because it came after neptunium.

Humm I rember reading / seeing on TV that Pluto was named after the Disney dog Plutio by the man that first found Pluto.

Must amit They should try and keep wiht the Roman names even if most of them are the greek god's wiht new names
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:24 pm

Em wrote:
Sailorasteroid wrote:One theory I heard went like this: Pluto was named after plutonium, the element. That was picked because it came after neptunium.

Humm I rember reading / seeing on TV that Pluto was named after the Disney dog Plutio by the man that first found Pluto.

Must amit They should try and keep wiht the Roman names even if most of them are the greek god's wiht new names
The story from Wiki:
The name retained for the planet is that of the Roman god Pluto, and it is also intended to evoke the initials of the astronomer Percival Lowell, who predicted that a planet would be found beyond Neptune. The name was first suggested by Venetia Burney, at the time an eleven-year-old girl from Oxford, England. Over the breakfast table, one morning her grandfather, who worked at Oxford University's Bodleian Library, was reading about the discovery of the new planet in the Times newspaper. He asked his grandaughter what she thought would be good name for it. Venetia thought that as it was so cold and so distant it should be named after the Roman God of the underworld. This idea was mentioned by her grandfather to a former Astronomer Royal who cabled his astronomer colleagues in America. After favourable consideration which was almost unanimous, the name Pluto was officially adopted and an announcement made by Slipher on May 1, 1930.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Luna1986 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:12 am

I thought that they already named it nemesis and that was the reason for the SM name. At least I heard that they found something out there they named nemesis. Am I right? I dunno. Someone should check it out.

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:36 pm

Okay, I'm not very "up" on astronomy, but are they still having that debate on whether or not Pluto's an actual planet? Because I read that somewhere. Like...in a National Geographic? Or something? But that was a while ago. Anyway, I'll go with everyone else and say Nemesis. Because otherwise, it's gonna have a really complicated name since all the "easy" Greek/Roman names are already taken (Thanks, Jupiter, and your, like, 6 billion moons!). Maybe they should name it after one of the Muses?
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:50 pm

crazydiamond wrote:Okay, I'm not very "up" on astronomy, but are they still having that debate on whether or not Pluto's an actual planet? Because I read that somewhere. Like...in a National Geographic? Or something?
You know I've never heard an outcome for that debate, either. For a while they classified Pluto as a moon then said it was a planet again.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

navi
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by navi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:41 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:One theory I heard went like this: Pluto was named after plutonium, the element. That was picked because it came after neptunium. The element after plutonium is americaum, so the new planet should be called America!
that would be sweet!

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Luna1986 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:34 pm

From what I remember, they didn't agree on Puto's status as a planet because of its irregular orbit. In that it crosses the paths of Neptune and maybe Uranus, but at least Neptune. This orbit is more like the path of a commet and such, and the fact it is so small and mostly ice, kind of like a commet adds to the debate.

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:22 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:One theory I heard went like this: Pluto was named after plutonium, the element. That was picked because it came after neptunium. The element after plutonium is americaum, so the new planet should be called America!
So that's our new frontier in the future? :o For some reason, "Sailor X" keeps popping into my head. :x

Peachvampiress:
Your avatar is scary. :shock: What's the picture of?

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:45 pm

Sakuya
Peachvampiress:
Your avatar is scary. What's the picture of?
*off topic* The Angel of Death from Raiders of the Lost Ark. You looked at her so now you'll die :P

*On topic* This is a thought that struck me. I was wondering, on the day they announce the new planet's name, how many new Sailor Moon fanfictions do you think will be up that star Sailor [name of new planet]? I can just picture them announcing the name live on T.V. and instantly a couple hundred new fics pop up on google.

~Suicide Kings

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:10 pm

That wouldn't surprise me in the least little bit.

Musashi
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Musashi » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:31 pm

Oh, hey! Me and my friend were talking about what a senshi from that planet would be like. xD

Hoo boy, all the schoolbooks are now outdated! YAY!!
-threws books into the air and runs around like an idiot-

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:46 am

jupiter23 wrote:I think I had heard about that a while back. For years scientists had been insistent that there was a 10th planet in this solar system. Now they finally found it. Like the others, they will probably name them after Roman Gods. That is my theory, anyway.
I think it's fascinating. It's also logical to name it that way. If not, then at least name it after the person or persons who discovered it. I would hate to see some stupid name for it.