Soapies

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Soapies

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:29 am

Believe it or not, I quite enjoy a few soaps. Mainly non-American ones, but I rarely watch them--usually due to the fact that my parents don't like them.

THE ARCHERS: Possibly second only to The Guiding Light in terms of longevity, only this series has run solely on radio. It's easy to see why it's been on for so long: it makes absorbing stories out of the little things, and the acting is absolutely perfect (it takes only two hours to do each fifteen-minute episode). I'm just kinda PO'd that I didn't get the chance to listen to Kathy's recovery. It's British, but you can listen to it online via http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4. It airs Sunday-Friday, with an omnibus broadcast during the day on Sunday.

PASSIONS: Just had to mention this one. I figure if I can sit through a month of Lindsay Hartley playing a bitch (she's Theresa Lopez-Fitzgerald Crane), I can sit through most other things. This show camps it up to the extreme, with witches, zombies, living dolls, rich losers, dancing babies, evil plots and repititious dialogue. (Un)fortunately it's not on TV down here right now.

HOME AND AWAY: I also had to point out this one. It's Australian and it airs down here at 7pm Monday-Friday. This one is about days in the lives of the residents of a small NSW seaside town. I haven't seen this one in quite a while but I like, mainly because it doesn't deal with rich people and is only half an hour long. It's also the only soap I know of to have released several DVDs

NEIGHBOURS: This one has started out the careers of a fair few Aussies (Kylie Minogue, Delta Goodrem and Guy Pearce spring to mind) by not only being popular down here but also developing a sizable following in Britain. This one is about the residents of Ramsay Street, a street in suburban Melbourne. Like Home and Away, this one also focuses on the working-class and it's only half an hour long. Unfortunately, with these prime-time programs, I rarely get a chance to watch them as I'm the only person in my family who likes them.

EASTENDERS: This is one of the more famous British soaps, created when Britain didn't have a concept of "daytime TV" (the hours during the daytime then were usually used on programs for schools). I've seen about one episode but that's been enough for me to recommend the show.

Although Corrie also airs down here, I haven't seen it. I also get the newsletters for Silver Street (another radio one, this time dealing with a South Asian community) but havent listened in for a while.

So...post your favourites!
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

LilEva
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by LilEva » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:39 am

Full House: Korean TV Drama. It is so good! Here's the website: http://www.kbs.co.kr/drama/full
The TV series is about a girl that loses her house because her friends sold it to a movie star/idol. The house is the only thing she has left from her parents since they died when she was little. A lot of things happen and she's a very determined person, so she strikes a bargain with the idol to be able to live in the house. Lots of laughs, a good romantic story, good acting by the actress, and a memorable soundtrack make this a must see.
Last edited by LilEva on Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:47 pm

I'm able to get SoapNet, it shows one of my favorite soaps called "Another World." It's reruns, but who cares. 8)
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:38 am

I'm a big fan of mexican soap operas! They have alot more drama and fighting unlike the american soap operas who dont fight that much. My favorites are Amor Real, Rubi, Salome, and etc.
James and I are happily waiting to see our first born son on April 22, 2009!
Mrs. Green is happily married to her airman since May 10, 2008
"Gee, I never thought I had an effect on people until I was in Korea."~ Marilyn Monroe ~
"Not knowing of the dawn, not seeing the coming night, only my garnet eye crosses time, and I think of the people I love."~ Garnet Guardian from SM Memorial Song Box ~
"...the secret song of love is locked deep in my heart."~ Secret from SM Memorial Song Box ~

MySpace= add me!

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:45 pm

I'm with Amy on this one. I love Mexican soap operas. They're the only kind of soaps I watch (though the last one I seen ended last December)

I love Gabriela Spanic. She played La Usurpadora, La Intrusa, and more recently Prisionera.

I also love teenage novelas (spanish for soap opera) like El Juego de la Vida, Amigas y Rivales, Clase 406 and that new one they show at 3:00pm on Univision.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:44 pm

I've finally seen Corrie, and me like. Especially since it has Bruno Langley going gay.

And, on the subject of foreign soaps, I should probably recommend The Storm Rages Twice, a Lebanese show about drug dealers, swindlers, tax fraudsters, $5,000,000 inheritances, people cheating on loved ones and people sending in others to spy on loved ones. Oh, and it has had at least one kidnapping AFAIK. Don't get me wrong, it's well deserving of the time it airs down here (some godless hour--usually midnight), but it's certainly worth more than one watch.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:32 pm

Th eonly one I ever liked was Soap, the parody soap opera. Actually, while it was satirical, it still followed the soap opera formula, and worked well for it.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:49 pm

Does anyone remember the soap that was on MTV a while back called Spyder Games?

It was so cool, but the only characters I remember is the main character Natalia and her brother Dimitri.

It was such an addicting soap but I never saw it again after Sept. 11.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:17 am

Passions is probably the slowest soap opera ever. It has the most annoying characters and some of the most predictable storylines ever, but there's something addicting about this show. It's like watching Jerry Springer while smoking a bad drug. You know you probably shouldn't be doing it but you keep wanting to come back for more. I don't mean to sound cruel or anything here, but I kind of like watching everyone on this show get screwed over and seeing how they react to it, and Tabitha and Endora are just awesome. I don't think I would have liked the show at all if they weren't in there, but I wish they would bring Precious back. If more soap operas were as awesome as this show, I would probably watch them more, but most of them tend to bore me.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

navi
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by navi » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:46 pm

*twitch*

i can't stand soaps. maybe it's cuz my sister blares the frickin tv everynight watching the same crap over and over! v.v

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:39 am

navi wrote:*twitch*

i can't stand soaps. maybe it's cuz my sister blares the frickin tv everynight watching the same crap over and over! v.v
ADMIN MODE:

The point of this topic was to post and discuss your favorite soaps. Please don't hijack the topic to talk about how much you hate them. Read every post, please.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:38 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Passions is probably the slowest soap opera ever. It has the most annoying characters and some of the most predictable storylines ever, but there's something addicting about this show. It's like watching Jerry Springer while smoking a bad drug. You know you probably shouldn't be doing it but you keep wanting to come back for more. I don't mean to sound cruel or anything here, but I kind of like watching everyone on this show get screwed over and seeing how they react to it, and Tabitha and Endora are just awesome. I don't think I would have liked the show at all if they weren't in there, but I wish they would bring Precious back. If more soap operas were as awesome as this show, I would probably watch them more, but most of them tend to bore me.
Takato, I gotta ask: Is Endora anywhere near as good as Timmy?

Oh, and if anyone gets the opportunity, I'd like to point out an excellent weekly soap from Australia called The Secret Life of Us. It ran for two seasons, and although it started shakily (so much so that the critics had to insult people because they turned the telly off right after a certain piece of trash TV named Big Brother Live), it managed to etch its place in Australian TV history. It was popular in Britain too.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

sailor_serenity33
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by sailor_serenity33 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:04 pm

I sometimes watch Passions and Day's but it just seems to be a continuous cycle of falling in and out of love, people cheating on there spouse, and all other things that happen regularly in soaps. But hey i still watch them.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:16 am

I've taken up listening to The Archers again. Mostly it's just to pay tribute to the hard workers who have had to pick up the pieces since Mary Wimbush died--her character (Julia Pargetter-Carmichael) was originally going to be the one producing Ambridge's annual Christmas play. But, since they're not going to re-cast the part, they've been forced to change the planned storyline significantly--I wouldn't be surprised if it was being recorded on the day.

Plus, there's the whole paternity ordeal (I'm pretty sure the baby's Ed's myself. I'm also not sure I would want it to belong to Will). Oh, and there's the thing with the parish council.

Pi "dum-di-dum-di-dum-di-dum" ka
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Top Cat
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Top Cat » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:59 pm

Tho only one I ever liked is Port Charles., and I'm not really sure why. It reruns on SoapNet, and this summer I saw it on, in it's final season with the vampires, and it sucked me in, like some never-ending Lifetime movie. Maybe it was the fact that I went like, "Oh! A balck actor on a soap (Kiko Ellsworth, "Jamal")! Are pigs flying now?" I watch it everyday now, and I DVR it to skip all the people and situations I couldn't give a shit about.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:24 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Passions is probably the slowest soap opera ever. It has the most annoying characters and some of the most predictable storylines ever, but there's something addicting about this show. It's like watching Jerry Springer while smoking a bad drug. You know you probably shouldn't be doing it but you keep wanting to come back for more. I don't mean to sound cruel or anything here, but I kind of like watching everyone on this show get screwed over and seeing how they react to it, and Tabitha and Endora are just awesome. I don't think I would have liked the show at all if they weren't in there, but I wish they would bring Precious back. If more soap operas were as awesome as this show, I would probably watch them more, but most of them tend to bore me.
Takato, I gotta ask: Is Endora anywhere near as good as Timmy?
I never paid any attention to the show when Timmy was on there, so I can't really compare the two, but Endora is so adorable. She's a baby witch but she sometimes likes to use her magic for good whenever she feels like it. When she uses her magic, they sometimes show this freaky glow coming out of her eye, and they have her speak through these thought bubbles, sort of like the popups on VH1. And she likes Christmas. ^^
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:27 am

I've been IQ-ing Home and Away. Apparently, it interferes with my family recording Smallville, especially since my soap has been known to go for 40 mins.

For those wondering how far we are ahead of the UK...here's the current storylines...

[spoiler]Amanda's married to Graham, but only so she can cheat him out of money necessary for housing development Project 56. In reality, Amanda is in love with colleague Josh.

Robbie and Tash have been going through a rough patch, with Tash joining a cult called The Believers. In episodes I have yet to see, Tash has, thanks to the combined efforts of...oh...just about every decent person in Summer Bay, realised the truth, but Martha's now starting to be manipulated. Thanks to Robbie being overzealous in his attempts, he now knows about Amanda and Josh, and they have to try and manipulate him.

Kim's been found in the gutter by Dr Rachel Armstrong, an old friend of Leah's. They've been growing attracted to one another, despite attempts to keep the relationship professional, as she's been his psychiatrist.

Dan and Leah's problems were compounded when Dan's brother--Leah's ex--Peter returned to the Bay, hoping to be able to reconcile with Leah. He ended up saving her in a hostage situation. Oh, and Leah's pregnant.

Finally, Ric is meeting up with a mysterious camper who's been stealing food and old photos from Sally and Flynn.[/spoiler]
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:09 am

For those unfortunate people in the UK who know nothing of minute-long title sequences:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCADyZ34 ... ed&search=

I personally like the bit where Ray Meagher (Alf) flips down the picture he's holding to reveal it's actually empty. And I think they need a new singer.

Pi "Unteeeel the end of tahhhhhm, Ahm yahrs and yeww are mahn" ka
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 pm

I love Eastenders I happen to watch some of it tonight to lol gah Phil can be a bastard.. back on topic I loved the show since highschool and since I could watch it on pbs even back then Ive enjoyed it for years. Unfortunately my only problem with it is some characters just seem to up and disappear like Beppe's entire family, here one moment gone the next. Ahh well still has a lovely cast of characters that I enjoy watching.

Another pbs soap serial I used to watch when I lived in Ny was a group of asian short soaps. I cannot remember the name but I like them, they ranged from everyday drama "single mothers and their woes" to fantasy I wish I could get them here but im just happy to still get my brit dramas.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:37 pm

I absolutely loved the Korean Drama "Full House"!!! was hooked on that from beginning to end. I also Winter Sonata (beautiful sound track), My Lovely Samsoon and Hotelier. I couldn't stop watching everyday.