WTF?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:46 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:Eh @[email protected] Toon Makers......Nyeh

As a little tiny wtf: Why am I being graded on weather or not I remberd to bring all my materals to class AND be on time AND keep ALL OF OUR PAPERS/TESTS

@[email protected] No.Friggin.Clue
Becuase in the real world, in a real career, you're expected to be prepared. Teachers try to prepare you for that. You can't effectively do your schoolwork without your materials, right? And if you're late everyday, well, not only are you breaking the rules, but you can't effectively have all the material in your class down if you're missing part of it, can you?

As for keeping your papers/tests...perhaps you're being taught how to keep good records, or perhaps your teacher is trying to help you have something to study by.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:32 pm

Tiff wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:Eh @[email protected] Toon Makers......Nyeh

As a little tiny wtf: Why am I being graded on weather or not I remberd to bring all my materals to class AND be on time AND keep ALL OF OUR PAPERS/TESTS

@[email protected] No.Friggin.Clue
Becuase in the real world, in a real career, you're expected to be prepared. Teachers try to prepare you for that. You can't effectively do your schoolwork without your materials, right? And if you're late everyday, well, not only are you breaking the rules, but you can't effectively have all the material in your class down if you're missing part of it, can you?

As for keeping your papers/tests...perhaps you're being taught how to keep good records, or perhaps your teacher is trying to help you have something to study by.
Its a "pop" materials quiz. I have to go from one end of the school to another for my advanced math class. I have 4 minutes to bring my book wich we NEVER USE, 3 notebooks just incase there is a notebook cheek, my waterbottle,pencilcase, my calculator, and a folder fuilled with papers.

Same teacher also teaches my ELA class.

Did I ever mention she is the only teacher who does this?
And that 4 minutes becomes 2 minutes on days without Study hall.

I pain. I aggree with you on the want to be prepared for business but the teachers say your being prepared for collages for what I've heard they dont really care. Your there to take notes.

And another ting witch made my mother yell at me for like an hour. I got the results for my math test I took LAST YEAR. All my scores in the sections are above or at the preferd standards. Except for predicting wich I got 33. 12 points BELOW the low standard. It doesnt match up. And so my mom YELLED at me for about an hour aobut how I'm lacking off in school and things like that.

[/rant]

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:17 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:

Its a "pop" materials quiz. I have to go from one end of the school to another for my advanced math class. I have 4 minutes to bring my book wich we NEVER USE, 3 notebooks just incase there is a notebook cheek, my waterbottle,pencilcase, my calculator, and a folder fuilled with papers.
So learn to delegate. Learn to organize yourself. That's the point. If you have a backpack, it really shouldn't be a problem to carry that stuff. That really doesn't sound like a lot of stuff to me.

*Shrugs* You're lucky, then. Most high school teachers are pretty hard core about having the shit you need.
I pain. I aggree with you on the want to be prepared for business but the teachers say your being prepared for collages for what I've heard they dont really care. Your there to take notes.
Not true. At least, not at my college. At my college, you were shit outta luck if you didn't have your materials. They didn't babysit you. And yes, they DID care. I had quite a few college professors that did checks to make sure you had your teaching portfolios, certain folders, etc. I went to very few college classes where I just sat and took notes.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:24 pm

college professors usually do care (there are exceptions) but they also know that you are an adult and therefore its up to you (not them) to keep up with everything.

a side note on research papers. What high school teachers make you do with index cards for research papers has no barring on the real world. It's a prime example of the tons of busy work you get in high school. Im over 4 years of college where almost every class had at least one research paper Ive used a total of 1 index cards and that was for a cheat sheet that the teacher allowed for a test. My brother on the other hand who went to the masters lvl NEVER used a single index card and passed at almost the top of the class.

When I asked my English teacher (politely) why we need all these different methods of index card writing she told me "Because you need it for college." Liar
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:21 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:college professors usually do care (there are exceptions) but they also know that you are an adult and therefore its up to you (not them) to keep up with everything.

a side note on research papers. What high school teachers make you do with index cards for research papers has no barring on the real world. It's a prime example of the tons of busy work you get in high school. Im over 4 years of college where almost every class had at least one research paper Ive used a total of 1 index cards and that was for a cheat sheet that the teacher allowed for a test. My brother on the other hand who went to the masters lvl NEVER used a single index card and passed at almost the top of the class.

When I asked my English teacher (politely) why we need all these different methods of index card writing she told me "Because you need it for college." Liar
*Shrugs* How do you expect your high school teacher to konw EXACTLY what EVERY one of your college professors is going ot expect?

That's the thing. They're preparing you to be ready, organized, and expectant of all methods that College profs may throw at you. Not all college professors are the same. Some of them give a damn, some don't. Some require very particular notes, some don't. Some couldn't care less if you show up, some do.

Besides, did you ever stop to think that perhaps these teachers aren't meeting together, conniving evilly how they can make their students lives THAT much more difficult? A lot of what they teach, they HAVE to teach. It's a part of their standards, curriculum, and state requirements.

Can we please give these people a break? I'm sure they're looking forward to christmas break just as much as you are. Hell, I know I am.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Tiff wrote:
Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:college professors usually do care (there are exceptions) but they also know that you are an adult and therefore its up to you (not them) to keep up with everything.

*Shrugs* How do you expect your high school teacher to konw EXACTLY what EVERY one of your college professors is going ot expect?

That's the thing. They're preparing you to be ready, organized, and expectant of all methods that College profs may throw at you. Not all college professors are the same. Some of them give a damn, some don't. Some require very particular notes, some don't. Some couldn't care less if you show up, some do.

Besides, did you ever stop to think that perhaps these teachers aren't meeting together, conniving evilly how they can make their students lives THAT much more difficult? A lot of what they teach, they HAVE to teach. It's a part of their standards, curriculum, and state requirements.

Can we please give these people a break? I'm sure they're looking forward to christmas break just as much as you are. Hell, I know I am.
You are right about that most definitly. A lot of the bad stuff in public schools isnt the fault of the teachers at all. We have a pretty messed up school board these days. They stress memorization over retention, and they depend on worthless tests like the SATs and stuff simply because they get money for making people take them.

Im not saying there are no bad teachers (there are believe me) but most of it is beacuse of a bad system
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:48 pm

Tiff wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:

So learn to delegate. Learn to organize yourself. That's the point. If you have a backpack, it really shouldn't be a problem to carry that stuff. That really doesn't sound like a lot of stuff to me.

*Shrugs* You're lucky, then. Most high school teachers are pretty hard core about having the shit you need.
Not true. At least, not at my college. At my college, you were shit outta luck if you didn't have your materials. They didn't babysit you. And yes, they DID care. I had quite a few college professors that did checks to make sure you had your teaching portfolios, certain folders, etc. I went to very few college classes where I just sat and took notes.

We cant carry a backpack purse or a messanger bag.

I'm organized. And for the collage thing I was generalizing.
I'm NOT being babysat but I'm reaaaally mad at my teachers right now. Mydad is ticked too. Tiff I reaaally hope you atleast agree with me on this.

My sister is starting her unit on Egypt so me and my dad brought the mask I painted (Life size, made of metal) to her class. My Dad walked in their and this is what he was greeted with.

1. Teacher was late. Just walked in and the bell had JUST RUNG!
2.She didn't say a word when he said hello.
3. When my dad comes to pick it up it looks like crap. The kidw herre messing with it.
4. Also when my dad comes to pick it up the teacher repated 1 and 2.

And my sister was liek CRYING frieday when she came home. Apparently there was a sience test that alot of people forgot about. And tehy did bad on it. SO the teacher (bast on what she said)told them the class "Doesnt care about their education. You should learn form the 3 people who acutally studies. You migth be working for them. If you dont end up beicoming a worker at mcdoalds preparing my lunch"

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:51 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Tiff wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:

I'm NOT being babysat but I'm reaaaally mad at my teachers right now. Mydad is ticked too. Tiff I reaaally hope you atleast agree with me on this.

My sister is starting her unit on Egypt so me and my dad brought the mask I painted (Life size, made of metal) to her class. My Dad walked in their and this is what he was greeted with.

3. When my dad comes to pick it up it looks like crap. The kidw herre messing with it.

And my sister was liek CRYING frieday when she came home. Apparently there was a sience test that alot of people forgot about. And tehy did bad on it. SO the teacher (bast on what she said)told them the class "Doesnt care about their education. You should learn form the 3 people who acutally studies. You migth be working for them. If you dont end up beicoming a worker at mcdoalds preparing my lunch"
Yeah. Thats why my teachers said that they dont give homework over the break for the fact that when they get back they dont feel like grading it.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:56 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:

Okay, then my mistake. But either way, that's NOT a lot to carry. I've had to carry far more in high school.

Don't generalize. That's my point.

1)Teachers are human. Sometimes they're late. Sometimes I'M late.
2)Maybe she was distracted? Maybe she had a lot on her mind?
3) How is that her fault? You take a risk when you bring something like that to school. Perhaps it happened when her back was turned. She can't be expected to watch them every second of the day.

...Um...I don't know. If everyone "forgot" about the science test, then I'm pretty much in agreement with her. Obviously, they didn't care very much about it, did they? They didn't care enough to make note of it, remember it, study for it, etc, did they?

And hell, she's right. If they don't care about what they're doing during their school years, then who is to say they'll care about their careers later on?

Yes, it may have come off crude, but maybe she's frustrated with feeling like her class just doesn't give a damn about what she's teaching them.
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Yeah. Thats why my teachers said that they dont give homework over the break for the fact that when they get back they dont feel like grading it.
ADMIN MODE:

Don't double post. If you want to add something, use the edit button.

/ADMIN MODE

...and? I woudln't feel like grading anything either. Do you WANT them to give you homework?

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:18 pm

Tiff wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:

Okay, then my mistake. But either way, that's NOT a lot to carry. I've had to carry far more in high school.

Don't generalize. That's my point.

3) How is that her fault? You take a risk when you bring something like that to school. Perhaps it happened when her back was turned. She can't be expected to watch them every second of the day.

...Um...I don't know. If everyone "forgot" about the science test, then I'm pretty much in agreement with her. Obviously, they didn't care very much about it, did they? They didn't care enough to make note of it, remember it, study for it, etc, did they?

And hell, she's right. If they don't care about what they're doing during their school years, then who is to say they'll care about their careers later on?

Yes, it may have come off crude, but maybe she's frustrated with feeling like her class just doesn't give a damn about what she's teaching them.
Queen Of Hearts wrote:
ADMIN MODE:

Don't double post. If you want to add something, use the edit button.

/ADMIN MODE

...and? I woudln't feel like grading anything either. Do you WANT them to give you homework?

Sorry. I ment to edit :( (I did press the edit button though....o_o; I know I did....I'm sorry...)

Yes but when SOMEONE says hello isn't it polite to do it back? And late 2 times a week apart. Shes late everyday......like the other teachers. She just walked in the building. I'm not like teachers can never be late but shes late ALOT.

No I dont want homework but my parent certainly do. I feel like they are gonna eat me if I get a 89%

Yes but tells 3 classes equaling 90 kids their stupid isnt goning to help much, isnt it?

It was a 6 question test. You got 2 wrong your screwed.
Yes BUT we had a DO NOT TOUCH sign up. I made it. My dad said it want there when he picked it up so I had my sister ask. The teacher said She moved the sign.

@[email protected] It was there for a reson.

And remeber thes kids are 11/12

These teachers used to teach 7th graders. This is the first year 6ths graders are in the school.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:23 pm

-_-

I disagree with so much of what you're saying, but...I don't think there's much more point in discussing. We're not only turning this into a chat room, but I don't think we're going to agree.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:10 am

Tiff wrote:-_-

I disagree with so much of what you're saying, but...I don't think there's much more point in discussing. We're not only turning this into a chat room, but I don't think we're going to agree.
I'm JUST trying to express my opinon and make a point. I know almost everyone will dissagree with me but still.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:57 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
I'm JUST trying to express my opinon and make a point. I know almost everyone will dissagree with me but still.
o.O which is why i said let's agree to disagree. Oy. Just drop it.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:16 pm

Congratulations to the lucky winners of the Winter banner contest!=D Better luck on Valentines day to those who weren''t so lucky! ^_~*

We walk in the garden of his turbulence!!! =D- Geoffery Chaucer, A Knights Tale

Nehelenia, one for all. -Teh sloganize website. XDD
(\__/)
(+"."+)
(")_(") Help Bunny gain world domination.

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:58 pm

Nehelenia's Crazy Fangirl wrote:http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a ... 0000000001

... 0_o WTF indeed.
Thats creepy to me...o_o;

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:37 pm

....0___o.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:43 pm

"Hmmm....what can I get my sister for Christmas? Ooh I know! Whale barf! =D Who wouldn't want whale barf?!"

teh nasty.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:13 pm

SeiUsa wrote:"Hmmm....what can I get my sister for Christmas? Ooh I know! Whale barf! =D Who wouldn't want whale barf?!"

teh nasty.
@[email protected] Ugh I just ate a snack too....

Bleh

T_T

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:59 pm

no... comment... *shuddesr*
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Texas Child Suspended After Hugging Aide

Post by Chibisteven » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:53 pm

Texas Child Suspended After Hugging Aide
By Associated Press

December 11, 2006, 5:23 PM EST

WACO, Texas -- School administrators gave a 4-year-old student an in-school suspension for inappropriately touching a teacher's aide after the pre-kindergartner hugged the woman.

A letter from La Vega school district administrators to the student's parents said that the boy was involved in "inappropriate physical behavior interpreted as sexual contact and/or sexual harassment" after he hugged the woman and he "rubbed his face in the chest of (the) female employee" on Nov. 10.

DaMarcus Blackwell, the father of the boy who attends La Vega Primary School, said he filed a complaint with the district. He said that his son doesn't understand why he was punished.

"When I got that letter, my world flipped," Blackwell said in a story in Sunday's editions of the Waco Tribune-Herald.

La Vega school district officials said student privacy laws prevented them from commenting.

After Blackwell filed a complaint, a subsequent letter from the district said the offense had been changed to "inappropriate physical contact" and removed references of sexual contact or sexual harassment from the boy's file.

Administrators said the district's student handbook contains no specific guidelines referring to contact between teachers and students but does state that inappropriate physical contact will result in a discipline referral.

The La Vega school district, which has five schools, covers about 30 miles around Waco.
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld ... 7418.story