So what did ya'll do while the forums were down?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Lucied
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

So what did ya'll do while the forums were down?

Post by Lucied » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:07 am

Me, I just went to GameFAQs the whole time, waiting for the forums to come back up >_>

I was also about an hour away from formatting my hard drive, thinking the forums not working was a computer problem, until MarioKnight posted an update on the site :oops:
"I am the black mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!" - Black mage, 8-bit theatre

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:52 am

Well, this is a bit of venting too, I've been having a ball all month. The host's hard drive crash really sucked for me, I had a lapse of sanity for under half an hour when it came back up in a very crappy state. Started back up at Taco Bell for weekends which is good since I love all my co-workers there and we're all like family, not to mention that I can work longer days on the weekends there than here and a higher payrate. It's good having a weekly paycheck there direct depositing every Tuesday and a slighter bi-weekly Friday paycheck from the dining hall, should be a big help getting back and staying on my feet finicial-wise. Starting back up there means getting a bus ticket, and when I went to the off campus transportation booth in the student union to get one, it turns out they can't sell me tickets at prices of downtown stops rather than campus stops. Makes perfect sense, sell bus tickets that mainly off campus students will use but force them to get the campus prices and use that stop. -_-;;; Not me, I told them to forget it and that I would just get them at P&C like over the summer. I don't mind the walk, it's just going to suck ass trying to find time for it since there isn't one day where I'm not at class and/or work. I finally went grocery shopping with my first Taco Bell paycheck which was very nice, between working at two food establishments and eating at them when I can, the food I got should last me 2 - 3 months. ^_^

So it's been a near balance of good and sucky, with more sucky than good. More recently, a whole string of situations is kind of really pissing me off. In order to build the server this site will soon be on, I need the parts. I had given the leftovers of my old computer to a friend when I built my current one, I had given my brother my SDRAM when I got DDR RAM for my system, so I basically had to ask for those things back and purchase a hard drive. Last weekend, I tried to get a message to my brother to come to the mall and give me my RAM, but he never showed up. Didn't really expect him to since it was a last minute message through a friend. My friend gave me my old computer stuff back on that Monday, though it was mostly taken apart, though wrapped some parts were shaking easily, keep this in mind for a bit later. The hard drive arrived here on Friday, which means all that was left was to get the RAM back from Jeff on Sunday (Saturday is marching band day so he can't go to the mall). I had actually talked to him throughout the week so he knew of the server and all and that I needed the RAM. Well, the little bastard never showed up on Sunday, which kind of pissed me off since I was all ready to start building the server that night after work. I went online when I got home and talked to him, and he told me he would bring the RAM to the mall on Monday which was Columbus Day. Problem is that my school is one that doesn't get the day off. I was in the middle of skipping or not, but when he said that I decided that the RAM was more important since there was nothing big going on in those classes and I didn't want to wait another week to start. I got to the mall and looked for him, but didn't see him, so I had lunch and decided to wait in the arcade. Not long after, my mom walked in the arcade. That scared the shit out of me, since she knows my school doesn't cancel for that day. I pulled an excuse out of my ass ("these two classes were cancelled and the one that wasn't I went to and had just enough time to get the bus") which she seemed to buy and we talked for a bit and she mentioned that Jeff had the RAM I needed. I wasn't really happy since Jeff knew I'd probably be skipping class and he was openly carrying the ram when he came in the arcade. Mom watched us play a round of DDR and then went to do her stuff and I stayed in the arcade or bugging my co-workers until they left. I was under the impression that Jeff and our friend were going to get dropped off by my mom and get picked up by his mom, seeing otherwise was not a fun suprise. I stayed in the arcade for most the rest of my time at the mall, got the Red Hat Linux 9 Bible to help me out for building the server, and got a ride home from Mike, one of my housemates (he works at the movies).

Me and Hugh got a little setup going on his floor for getting the server ready, using an extra monitor out of the closet. Problems arose though, and after a few hours, we finally led the problems to the motherboard. We then spent about an hour searching for a similiar motherboard online and got one ordered. I was really pissed, though luckily Tiff gave me a couple of suprise calls, which kept me in a good and sane mood talking to her for about an hour or so. That mood wouldn't last much past the next morning, as my card was declined when they tried to charge it. I didn't really have much time to look into my checking account since I only give myself a short amount of time to get up and get out, but it seems they charged the card literally just before my paycheck got added in. E-mailed them about that in the evening, and they charged it ok this morning and shipped the board out. It's on 3-day shipping which the store only offers, but it going out today means that it will be here Monday instead of Friday. >.< This really pisses me off since it's ANOTHER full week I have to wait before doing anything, I now have no chance of getting it done before I get billed another month on this crappy host (who I might add, STILL haven't e-mailed me back in less than 2 weeks), and I would've had near all of Sunday to work on it with a day off. Carl is definetly going to hear a lot of what I have to say and I'm going to try to get some compensation money off him since he packed the system poorly and it doesn't work when it worked fine when I gave it to him, and Jeff I could just beat up anytime I'm at my parent's, though something came up today which will be much sweeter. I'm currently borrowing the DDR Konamix from him, and he asked me today to bring it this weekend because he needs it back. Though I said to him I would, I really say fuck that he can wait another week or so. He made me wait longer for the RAM as well as causing me to run into mom as I was skipping class to meet up with him. Basically, this month has been a month that has generally been pissing me off and causing me way too much stress. Work at both my jobs has actually been a good excape for the most part from the stress, and DDR has been a good reliever too. I've been getting so much better at that, passed Drop Out on Heavy mode last night, w00t. So yeah, that's been my month, things should be better soon once I get started on the server, and I'm glad my classes haven't suffered as much as I thought before tonight.

Edit a few minutes later: The insane Minako avatar says it all ^^;;;;;;
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:11 am

Wow! Long post! :o I mosied over to Genvid to check out the daily PGSM updates. I skimmed through their forum as well but didn't join because I didn't want to open another account. Well, when Act 1 came out, I couldn't hold in my opinions. So I went and joined and have been posting about PGSM ever since. And now it's time to mosy back over here. :D

Um...I was wondering if it's just me or is this new server a bit slow. Or maybe it's my computer's fault? It's been having some problems lately. Maybe I should contact my internet provider? :roll:

J Anderson
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by J Anderson » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:50 am

Mostly spent money, on eBay and half.com. And I spent the last couple of days listening to my new copy of Enter The Wu-Tang(36 Chambers). Not to mention countlessly rearranging my shelves, and cursing Wal-Mart's good name for their cruddy service at the tire dep't.

KB toys also had that 30% off sale, took real good advantage of that(why wait till December when I can save money now?)

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:20 am

bummed around. usual stuff for a 14 year old.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:25 am

I hung out at Cardcaptors Uncensored and the SakuraMB until SMU came back. The only other msg board that's out there that has as decent posters as SMU is CCU, which was my first msg board I ever joined, but I'm glad to be back here again.

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:31 am

I've just been freaking out about the forums not getting back but now I'm relieved :p
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:23 am

I thought it was my computer as well but oh well.
Anyway I've been doing: my care coures at collage
Getting asked if I need help due to the fact that I don't yell and swear like the other's on the coures.
Key Skills ICT lesson we got to make poster useing clip art and word art I never did so much IT work in my life! the last two Key Skill's all I did was hand in my website trun up for exam do said exam and I've passed it's evil I tell you evil.
Wokring on cosplay
Arageing to see Sprited Away at the cinmara.
Painting book case
Doing sing for the Spri Away meeting
and the best news for you lot on there getting spelling and gramer lessons and hopeful it'll work.

It's good to be back however
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Obsessive Touga Fan
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Obsessive Touga Fan » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:45 am

I got disappointed that it happened right at that particular time... I would have loved to have read everyone here's opinions about the first two PGSM episodes as they came out :\

As a result I registered at the Genvid forum and read opinions there ^^;

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:53 am

I was bored, but I got the chance to do stuff I've needed to do for awhile now. And didn't do them. See, me and my friends have our own little doujinshi (I'm not trying to plug it, I'm just explaining), and the website finally came up, only the person who put it up's IP address changed everyday. So, after we finally got a host, its up for good. It's my job to put in character profiles and storylines on it. So, without SMU around to distract me (dammit! I need distractions!), I figured I could get a lot done. Well, I got one done. The rest of the time I read webcomics and played DDR. I found other distractions! But now, SMU is back! Yay!!
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:01 pm

o_o good lord, dan. *skips over it all*
I went to my classes, worked, read a bunch of webcomics, caught up on my strongbad emails, and watched a lotta tv.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:50 pm

I discovered the sexiness that is Bit Torrent, and enjoyed PGSM 1 and 2, as well as Naruto and One Piece. Coincidentally, I was also given more duties in my lab, so I wouldn't have to sit around like a moron doing nothing but reading :)

RyoRei0110
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by RyoRei0110 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:57 pm

Let's see.. I bought a few manga, found a site with Tsubasa translations, surfed the net, read books & fanfiction, practiced drawing, continued moving my stuff back home ::grumble::, watched t.v., worked on boatloads of h/w, and started/finished up a few video games.
::cries:: Its been forver!! And this place has changed... oh how I''ve missed it all ::hugs::

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:09 pm

I CRIED. CONSTANTLY.
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:12 pm

I've been hanging out on crappy message boards...

Working on my new shrine Shot to Death...

I got special volume 8 of Chobits! ^.^

Also...I've been listening to Sakuya's bitching... ^^;

FloweretteFan
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by FloweretteFan » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:30 pm

I went to school. Tried and failed to make friends, as ever (I have trouble talking to people I don't know well, and I don't know people well because I can't talk to them. Hooray for vicious circles).
I also mooched around the AoD forums a bit, finished a few video games, finally got to see Spirited Away (on the closing day, no less) and be very ill, but not in that order :D

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:57 pm

I work with parakiss writing for the doujinshi, but mostly I just did school work. I did get the chance to almost finish the fourth book of Harry Potter (I'm cheap so I wait till they come out on paperback), but I don't know if I"ll have any spare time now that the site is back up. Oh, well. Oh, I, too, became obsesed with PGSM!
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:57 pm

FloweretteFan wrote:I went to school. Tried and failed to make friends, as ever (I have trouble talking to people I don't know well, and I don't know people well because I can't talk to them. Hooray for vicious circles).
I know how you feel here trust me most peopole are not worth knowing in the first place.
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Brak
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Brak » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:10 pm

School, marching band, homework...the usual.
Though I must say I didn't really know what to do sometimes when I was on the internet, since I usually check the forums as part of my daily internet routine

Anyway, I'm glad everything's semi-ok now, and it shouldn't take long to get the forums back to the way they were! :D

Stephen Victor
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Stephen Victor » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:48 pm

I just posted at and/or read other forums, such as the shoujoai.com forums and the Genvid forums. I also got to watch the first two episodes of Pretty Guardian Sailormoon, taped Hellsing off of the Action Channel, received my Sailormoon Sailorstars fansubs and watched a little bit of them and various other things.