Clearing up some stereotypes

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Miyamoto
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Miyamoto » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:45 pm

No.. I'm pretty sure they were calling me a homosexual....
Supah Mario ownz j00 f00!!

http://we.is-a-geek.org/~ShiggyMiyamoto ... maller.jpg

If you''d like to send me a message please use [email protected]. Thnx.

Recent Funny Xbox Chat:

<aznwaterboy> how did xbox kill a cat
<SMiyamoto> LOL
<Raxc> XBox fell on the cat''s back.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:49 pm

Miyamoto
No.. I'm pretty sure they were calling me a homosexual....
They might have called you gay, but they mostly likely didn't actually mean that you were gay, or think that you were gay. Everyone uses "gay" as slang now.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Miyamoto
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Miyamoto » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:51 pm

Peach: Yeah I realize that. ^^;; but I really thing they were calling me gay gay.... Nevermind...
Supah Mario ownz j00 f00!!

http://we.is-a-geek.org/~ShiggyMiyamoto ... maller.jpg

If you''d like to send me a message please use [email protected]. Thnx.

Recent Funny Xbox Chat:

<aznwaterboy> how did xbox kill a cat
<SMiyamoto> LOL
<Raxc> XBox fell on the cat''s back.

lemonusagi125
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by lemonusagi125 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:31 pm

(Time to un-die here for a second, i know i pretty much joined here then disappeared, but its been hectic. I heart this place though and its venting time... apologies in advance if this thread has died already, it seemed fairly new, disregard if not.)

Kentucky (Or more rather Louisville)
-Most people couldn't care less about the Derby, and we don't all ride/own/love horses

-Yes, its still called Kentucky Fried Chicken here (you won't believe how many people think they're oh so funny when they point out the "redundancy" of calling it KFC in Kentucky. Its a BRAND moron, the name won't change)

-Only tourists eat the bourbon chocolate (or wear fugly hats at Derby)

-We don't all sit on our porches barefoot and make moonshine ( Thats only eastern KY :) )

-Yes, there are Jews in Kentucky. We even have all three major branches representing, yo.

-Louisville is a mostly liberal, urban part of Kentucky (16th largest city in the US, kinda neat), certainly not hickish or straight-laced. Pick up a copy of Velocity (local free newspaper) and see how progressive we are.

Now off the topic of regions and on to common sense...
-Judaism is a religion, not a race, so stop telling me I don't look Jewish, because you can't look like a religion.

-Not every Jew knows every other Jew, so stop asking if we know Hannah or Adam or noony-nook or the only other Jew you've ever come into contact with

-Not all Jews are study freaks or know it alls. We have bright people and slackers, just like any other group.
Peter: Hey Brian, look, my alpha-bits are spelling out a message from another world. It says "OOOOO".
Brian: Peter, those are cheerios.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:27 pm

Sterotypes about lip syncing and those who do it as a hobbie (like me):

-We don't do it because we can't sing. We do it because it's a hellofa lot more funner than singing over top of a CD.
-It's not something that any retard can do (to quote my dad -_-).
-It's NOT easy. I can't stress that enough. It takes a lot of practice to memorize not only the lyrics, but EVERY SOUND THE SINGER MAKES, to get all of the expressions right, and to make it look real.
-A lot of people have to come up with things to do while they're lip syncing so that it isn't boring. This takes a lot of practice and planning, especially if you're like me and choreograph what you're doing to the song.
-Again, if you're like me and imitate the person you're lip syncing to, it can be hard to find clothes that fit and make you look like said singer.

Fact:I have been lip syncing for two years.
Fact:My school has had a lip syncing competition each year. Ever since I've entered, I have always won first place.
Fact:It is my senior year and I will win again!

VIVA LA PESCA!!

(okay I'm done now...)
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Artemis
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Artemis » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:46 pm

peachvampiress wrote:Sterotypes about lip syncing and those who do it as a hobbie (like me):

-We don't do it because we can't sing. We do it because it's a hellofa lot more funner than singing over top of a CD.
-It's not something that any retard can do (to quote my dad -_-).
-It's NOT easy. I can't stress that enough. It takes a lot of practice to memorize not only the lyrics, but EVERY SOUND THE SINGER MAKES, to get all of the expressions right, and to make it look real.
-A lot of people have to come up with things to do while they're lip syncing so that it isn't boring. This takes a lot of practice and planning, especially if you're like me and choreograph what you're doing to the song.
-Again, if you're like me and imitate the person you're lip syncing to, it can be hard to find clothes that fit and make you look like said singer.

Fact:I have been lip syncing for two years.
Fact:My school has had a lip syncing competition each year. Ever since I've entered, I have always won first place.
Fact:It is my senior year and I will win again!

VIVA LA PESCA!!

(okay I'm done now...)
Wow, that's actually pretty interesting. I had no idea that so much was needed to do that. ^^
Back on topic...I'm from Washington too, so I can verify what Artemis Lover said. Pretty much all of that is true. ^^
Even more than the spacious sky and the sea
My dreams have no limits
I have realized that because I am in love
~Tomizawa Michie, Eien no Melody

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:44 pm

Wow... I can't believe that I missed this topic for so long.

Oklahoma Stereotypes:
01.) Not everyone speaks with a southern accent.
02.) Not everyone owns cattle. (Though I do live right next to some. ^_^;)
03.) Not every woman is a fat, lazy housewife in a muumuu. (They are common, nevertheless.)
04.) Gun racks are not a standard automobile accessory.
05.) Not everyone has been in a tornado.
06.) Tractors aren't the standard mode of transport, most people can't even start one.
07.) Farmers make up a very small part of the population.
08.) It's not full of drunken Indians.
09.) Not everyone is an "Okie." ("Okie" is like a hillbilly, slow, poor, dirty, etc.)
10.) Old cars on cinder blocks are not customary lawn ornaments.

Personal Stereotypes:
01.) Just because I'm a tomboy does not mean that I ignore taking care of my skin, hair, nails, etc.
02.) Just because I often wear men's clothes does not mean I'm a lesbian.
03.) I can be a nice person, be a Christian, and wear spiked collars at the same time.
04.) My religion and locality do not make me close-minded.
05.) Being a teenager does not make me lazy, useless, disrespectful, horny, stupid, loud, materialistic, or irresponsible.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

isaisa
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by isaisa » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:38 pm

Oooo...I've got some on the hispanic stereotypes

- No we do NOT speak MEXICAN...we speak SPANISH...there are several different spanish dialects...one word won't mean the same thing in some other Latin American country

- We are not all in gangs

- Not all of us are drop outs

- Most of us know english very well and have a good reading level

oh and here's the one that bugs me the most: just cuz we're hispanic/latino does not mean that we are automatically mexican

and here are some about Southern California

- We're not all tree huggers

- everyone doesn't surf

- we don't live next door to the stars

- and we're not valley girls

Yeah I got something on the anime fan thing...I told my friend that I'm into it and all and he's like, "It scares me that you want to be Japanese." I don't get that.... :?
R.I.P. Jennifer Blanco 11/09/87 - 11/13/05

"I go with the flow. Whatever music you play for me, I will dance."
- Gael Garcia Bernal

I AM BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:08 pm

isaisa wrote:oh and here's the one that bugs me the most: just cuz we're hispanic/latino does not mean that we are automatically mexican
I'm not Hispanic, but I've heard people stereotyping them, and what's weird is it's regional Go to Florida, and you'll no longer be Mexican, you'll be Cuban. And come to New York and you're Puerto Rican.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

isaisa
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by isaisa » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:55 pm

Yeah I know, I've heard that too. I guess it's cuz Mexico is next to California and Cuba is close to Florida....but I dunt get the New York and Puerto Rico thing...lol :lol:

- Gael Garcia Bernal

I AM BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:24 pm

isaisa wrote:Yeah I know, I've heard that too. I guess it's cuz Mexico is next to California and Cuba is close to Florida....but I dunt get the New York and Puerto Rico thing...lol :lol:
That is because a while back there was a large number of Puerto Ricans migrating to the US, I believe around the time the US aquired it as a territory (see West Side Story). And I can attest to the fact that not all Puerto Ricans live in New York, because my Great-Uncle (related by marriage) is from Puerto Rico and lives in Tennesee.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:13 pm

I'm not sure whether or not this is a stereotype or not, but just because I'm blond doesn't mean I have blue eyes--mine are brown! This even got messed up on my learner's permit! :evil:
(by the way, I don't have a driver's license because I'm scared of driving--I tried it for a little while but hated it, since I'm bad at looking at visual and spacial things, and I'm absent-minded)
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

usachan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by usachan » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:29 pm

Well said isaisa! I'm not hispanic, but a lot of my friends are. I live in and area with a large hispanic population, and my friends don't fit the sterotype at all. And also living in Southern California, I have never met a celebrity in my life, and also never surfed!

isaisa
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by isaisa » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:42 pm

Yeah I know! It's like for some odd reason when people hear that you're from Los Angeles, they go nuts. I've only seen one celebrity my whole life and that was Danny Bonaduce, ya know the red haired kid from the Partridge Family, and that was like....three years ago. :)

- Gael Garcia Bernal

I AM BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

usachan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by usachan » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:26 am

lol, well, you've seen one more than I have.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:37 am

isaisa wrote:Yeah I know! It's like for some odd reason when people hear that you're from Los Angeles, they go nuts. I've only seen one celebrity my whole life and that was Danny Bonaduce, ya know the red haired kid from the Partridge Family, and that was like....three years ago. :)
Only celebs I've ever met are Dave Prowse, John Rhys-Davies, Sean Astin and Penny Johnson Jerald (and Joshua Seth and Wayne Grayson), but I've met all of them at conventions down here, not in LA. And I lived in Calabasas for a year. Although I heard that Britney Spears was enrolled at my HS.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:01 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:
isaisa wrote:Yeah I know! It's like for some odd reason when people hear that you're from Los Angeles, they go nuts. I've only seen one celebrity my whole life and that was Danny Bonaduce, ya know the red haired kid from the Partridge Family, and that was like....three years ago. :)
Only celebs I've ever met are Dave Prowse, John Rhys-Davies, Sean Astin and Penny Johnson Jerald (and Joshua Seth and Wayne Grayson), but I've met all of them at conventions down here, not in LA. And I lived in Calabasas for a year. Although I heard that Britney Spears was enrolled at my HS.
I can tell you right off that that rumor about Britney Spears is not true, because she is from Kentwood, Louisiana(about the same area as me) and most likely went to high school there, and besides, I believe she is too old for school anymore, anyway.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:08 pm

ADMIN MODE:

Guys, get back on topic.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Artemis Lover
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Artemis Lover » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:20 pm

Death_2004 wrote:
Artemis Lover wrote:Actually, most of the Washington/Seattle stereotypes are true:
~We do get a LOT of rain, but not in the summertime
~A lot of fish is sold in places like Pike Place Market
~We ARE famous for chocolate and coffee
~There are trees everywhere, and there are even some in the city
~Most people here are liberals
i would think that swiss and Columbia are known for chocolate and coffee.
That too. But anyway, Seattle really is. You get off a plane- the first thing you see when you get off the plane is a starbucks. We have a Starbucks in our Safeway

Rivalee
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Rivalee » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:30 am

Sweden
  • *Not every girl are named Ingrid (that's a name that usualy appears in foregin movies with a swedish character)
    *Not every girls are men-crazy (a guy from India I sometimes chat with asked me that once. He had heard something that went like "if you want a girl, you should move to Sweden")
Over-weight (if that count)
  • *Not every over-weight person are eating too much.
    *We don't lie (a kid said once that he would rather trust a thin person than a fat person)
    *We DO have feelings (some cruel people sometimes forget that)
My youtube-account / My multiply-account

I dunno. I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box. And then when I put it on, I suddenly got this feeling of inner peace. I can´t put it into words. I feel... safe. Like this is where I was meant to be. Like I´d found the key to true happiness.
~Snake from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

I´m some kind of high powered mutant, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Bad luck! I´m are suffering from Rivalee´s Syndrome.
Cause: thinking too hard
Symptoms: aphasia, vague gills, mildly squeaky voice, eyelid swelling
Cure: cryogenic freezing until science catches up