Clearing up some stereotypes

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:36 pm

And it doesn't snow all year round up here, just to let those tourists know that came to Canada in the middle of July with skis.
Exactly. Though it did snow in Edson a few years back in the middle of July. That happens in like once in a blue moon. It was only a one day thing. The snow was gone by the next day.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:25 am

[hijack]I'm also curious...what are the teachers manuals like?[/hijack]

Choristers

--do not sound good with whatever they sing. I'm a baritone, so I can sound flat whenever I try to sing anything out of my range.
--Do not love only Classical music. Although I can't seem to remember the lyrics to All The Things She Said in English, let alone Russian.
--are not all middle-aged adults or young children. I'm only 20 and the youngest person I know of in the state choir is 18.
--do not speak much Latin

Pi "In taberna quando sumus nun curamus quid sit humus..." ka
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:57 pm

First off, I wish to applaud Tempest-san of her defense of the South. Now in defense of Louisiana--

1. Forget everything you may have seen about Louisiana in The Waterboy.None of it is true.
2. Not everyone who lives here is Cajun or Creole.
3. Not everyone who lives here lives off seafood. I hate seafood, and avoid any contact withseafood restaraunts whenever possible.
4. Crawfish, (or crawdads, for those everywhere else in the world) though a popular commodity here and a major export, are not popular with all the locals. I hate crawfish, too.
5. The state motto, Sportsman's Paradise, is misleading. Not everyone down here likes to hunt and/or fish.
6. New Orleans is not the only place of interest in the state.
7. Most of the state's population lives nowhere near a swamp or the Mississippi River.
8. We don't listen to Zydeco (Cajun) music all the time.
9. Here is one I have gotten before, but not on this Forum--no one in Louisiana is a hillbilly, as Louisiana is all flat or below sea level land. To be a hillbilly, you must live in or near hills. Louisiana only has one hill, and there are buildings in this state that are higher than it is.

Offtopic: I have always spelled it "Ya'll". Must be a Southern thing.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:40 pm

I'll do tennesee! Yay me!

1) It's not just one big farm
2) Not everyone is a Christian
3) We're not all VOLs fans
4) We do have proper schools, despite our poor ranking in education. We just don't have alot of good schools.
5) It's quite common for people to have more than one television
6) It's also quite common to have satelite or cable
7) Elvis is not still alive in Memphis
8 ) We don't all live in one room shacks or trailors
9) The Sunsphere in Knoxville is not full of wigs, it's actually quite empty.
10) Not everyone is conservative
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

LilEva
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by LilEva » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:17 pm

Hmm, there IS more than corn in Indiana, and not just at Indiana Beach. =)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:22 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:[hijack]I'm also curious...what are the teachers manuals like?[/hijack]
I can't speak for high school, but I can tell you about elementary:
They're basically outlines for what material you need to teach, with a few SUGGESTIONS on lessons, and it's left up to you how you want to teach it. There are no lists of questions and answers and shit.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Death_2004
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Death_2004 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:29 pm

Lady of the Light wrote:
RoastedTwinkies wrote:I'm going to steal the Molson Canadian beer speech because it pretty much covers everything.

I'm not a lumberjack, or a furtrader,
and I don't live in an igloo, eat blubber, or own a dogsled,
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally, or Susie from Canada,
although I'm sure they're really really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English and French, not American,
and I pronounce it about, not aboot
I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack;
I believe in peacekeeping, not policing;
and that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal

a tuque is a hat,
a chesterfield is a couch,
and it is pronounced zed, not zee, zed!

Canada is the second largest land-mass,
the first nation of hockey,
and the best part of North America!

MY NAME IS JOE, AND I AM CANADIAN!
*bursts out into applause* WHOOOT! YEAH! I LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL!
It's all very true. And might I add that even though the Beaver is a truly proud and noble animal, I don't have one for a pet. Same goes for polar bears. And I don't say "Eh?" after every sentence. Although it is very amusing to go around saying, "Good day, eh?" and seeing how many people recognize where that is from.
And it doesn't snow all year round up here, just to let those tourists know that came to Canada in the middle of July with skis.
I have heard some things from American tourist visiting Canada and i also want to say something. When you do make use extremely mad we will beat you up. We will not get some mutated attack beaver to hunt you down where you sleep (LOL.. {shacks head} good lord i stood there staring at the person for about an hour after that one. Can you believe it he actually thought we would do that. And Yes!!! He was serious about it. Sniff... Sad.)

Sailor Moon
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor Moon » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:25 pm

New Jersey
1. No one says "Joisey"
2. No one speaks with a crazy accent
3. It does not smell likea garbage dump

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:33 pm

LilEva wrote:Hmm, there IS more than corn in Indiana, and not just at Indiana Beach. =)
That's right! We have soybeans, too. And a mall... somewhere.
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

Death_2004
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Death_2004 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:39 pm

Anthy wrote:
LilEva wrote:Hmm, there IS more than corn in Indiana, and not just at Indiana Beach. =)
That's right! We have soybeans, too. And a mall... somewhere.
WOOT!!! SOYA! SOYA! VEGETARIANS RULE!!! :D

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:06 pm

jupiter23 wrote:First off, I wish to applaud Tempest-san of her defense of the South.
*heart* I hate those damned southern stereotypes.

I remembered another sounther stereostype. \
09) Men down here don't screw 4 legged animals (Cows, Sheep, ect).
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:30 pm

Florida is a southern state, but it's reputation is somewhat different from other places in the deep south.

-Not everyone is Jewish. There are in fact, certain cities where you'd be hard-pressed to find a synagogue.

-Remember the "Summer of the Shark"? That year actually had a LOW number of shark attacks compared to others. My specific area has the highest number of attacks (not fatalities) in the world, so usually at least one person I know is attacked every summer.

-We may be the Sunshine State, but living in between two large bodies of water means that we get thunderstorms damn near every day during the wet summer months.

-People don't wrestle the gators; they call animal control and have them (unjustly) put to death.

-Segregation may have ended in 1970, but we still have racially segregated schools.

-It's true, nobody understands how to vote.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:22 pm

Jeff wrote:-Segregation may have ended in 1970, but we still have racially segregated schools.
I don't think that is just in Florida. Here the school boards are still trying to desegregate schools, despite the fact that it might be an inconvenience to most of the students going there. I say that because many of the students moved into these schools live absolutely nowhere near the school they are being moved into, so some can spend up to an hour a day on a school bus to and from school.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:08 pm

Because of my short hair preference, here's another one I wanted to add:

Just because a girl has short hair doesn't always make her a lesbian. I remember once, one of my friends got a haircut, and these guys at school were like, 'so you got the lesbian haircut, huh?'

Another one for Alberta:

Just because I'm from Alberta, doesn't make me a hick. Not all of us live on farms. I prefer living in the city and I personally hate small towns because of the general attitude where everyone has to live in everyone else's back pocket.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:35 pm

Canada:

-It doesn't snow 24/7 here. Infact, we rarely get snow in the Fraser Valley.
-I have never heard anyone say aboot
-Not everyone likes Hockey. (I don't, the only time I watch it is when we're kicking America's ass ^_~)
-Not everyone speaks French, infact, some people don't like French Canadians and refuse to learn French.
-Oh, and not really a sterotype, but Canada's national game is not Hockey, it's La Cross.

People of German background (Like me):

-Don't hate everyone
-Are not Nazis and hate being called it
-Do not have swaztikas on our body (oh, and just because I know that a swastika is clockwise and correct people when they draw it incorrectly doesn't mean I'm a Nazi -_-)
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:43 pm

peachvampiress wrote:Canada:
-Not everyone likes Hockey. (I don't, the only time I watch it is when we're kicking America's ass ^_~)
-Oh, and not really a sterotype, but Canada's national game is not Hockey, it's La Cross.
I heard that Canada is really good at hockey!

Mexicans:
-Not everyone likes beans (Like me I hate beans)

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:51 pm

mizangelamy
peachvampiress wrote:
Canada:
I heard that Canada is really good at hockey!
We are, but my point is that just because it's really popular, doesn't mean everyone likes it, and despite what people think, it isn't the national game.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:03 am

peachvampiress wrote:-Oh, and not really a sterotype, but Canada's national game is not Hockey, it's La Cross.
It's not "La Cross" either. It's "Lacrosse".
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:23 am

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
It's not "La Cross" either. It's "Lacrosse".
La Cross is how I was taught it was spelt. It's used else where to.

Check under the third link

Here's a Canadian website. Check the sixth point.

~Suicide Kings

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:51 pm

Asians:

Not all Asians are into martial arts (the one thing that keeps annoying me is when my friends tell me to do kung-fu moves)

Asian food do not use dogs and/or cats (and if they do, only the poor eat them)

We are not called "slanty-eyes" (and all those racial slurs, which is why I get into fights at school and racked up 9 suspensions in a year, which I'm proud of getting!)

Just because we have almost no body hair means we don't shave our bodies
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1