Clearing up some stereotypes

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:16 pm

Rin wrote:Not all Catholics...

*are close minded bigots
*and Christians for that matter think that gays should burn in hell, infact, many are strongly for gay rights. (I'm a strong supporter for gay rights)
*are republican/democrat (I've heard it both ways)
*Blindly follow the pope or what the church says
*Believe that the bible is 100% truth, many recognize that most of it is meant to be symbolic
*Go to church every Sunday
*Condemn everyone to hell
*Pray every night
*Send their children to Private Catholic Schools
*Want to send their children to convents
*Save sex for marriage
*are against birth control
*are pro-life
*Have perfect family lives
*Carry around rosaries
*Want to convert everyone they meet
*Think evolution is totally false and should not be taught in schools
*Want every book censored
*Force their beliefs on their children
*are offended by *Catholic* jokes
*think their religion is the only correct one
*are zelots
OMG YES!! I hate how they say Catholics are all of these stereotypes you just mentioned. I'm actually pro-choice and for Gay rights and against abstinence-only sex education. Same thing with evolution, for me evolution is a theory and it may or may not be true. I do go to church every Sunday but lately I think the church is too crazy, I really hated how on one homily they wanted everyone to boycott 'The Golden Compass' because the author is atheist and I do not think Catholicism is the only correct religion, there is no correct religion. I liked my old parish the priest we had was very open minded when the archdiocese asked him to talk about boycotting 'The Da Vinci Code' in the homily he just came on Sunday and he was like 'Forget about boycotting it, I already read it and watched the movie' He was awesome.

Here are the common Mexican stereotypes:
*All of us are drop outs-Wrong, I for one am still in high school and will continue forward with my education and my mother graduated from college so there.
*We're all undocumented- I hate using the term 'illegal' because I for one think no human being is illegal and not all documented people are Mexican there are plenty of undocumented people that are from other countries.
*We're all short and wear sombreros-False again, especially with the short part, my brother in-law is close to six feet tall.
*Women are whores and Men are manwhores-Okay, there are few women who do not whore themselves out and men that aren't manwhores/womanizers.
*We all eat beans, tacos and any other type of Mexican food-I don't eat beans and plenty of Mexican food and I know one of my friends who's also Mexican who doesn't eat beans or tortillas. My cousin doesn't like Mexican food and he lives in Mexico and he prefers eating fast food like Burger King.
*Mexicans are tan or dark-skinned-I am a little tan but I am a little more white and there are Mexicans who are pale like one of my younger cousins.

That's all I can think up of right now.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:58 am

michikodesu wrote:Being Christian:
*We do not all watch those people on tv......many of them I wonder if they are truly Christian
The answer is: "no, they are not. They only THINK they are."

Not all atheists:
*are Satanists. In fact, since you have to believe in God to believe in Satan, there is a very high probability that close to 0% of atheists are satanists.
*Are psycho sex maniacs.
*are baby-killers. "Pro-choice" means just that.
*hate Christians. Only those that claim to read the Bible more than they actually do.
Timmy wrote:i am not going to extend on this nor do i want it developing into an argument but one example is not everyone thinks of our PM as a complete f****** idiot, if so he would not be voted on
I only voted because I'm enrolled. And I wanted Howard gone.

That said, our last local Labor candidate somehow couldn't spot that I am not married to my sister (my mother hyphenates her surname, so she somehow showed up as being separate to my father--we still live in the same house). For once, someone actually made the Libs look more competent than Labor.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:09 pm

Not all atheists:
*hate Christians. Only those that claim to read the Bible more than they actually do.
That is so funny because you can tell when they start talking and by how they act. I read, but I can't quote out verses with book and chapter and verse. I can tell you the location of it in my bible, but if I look in another bible, I'm lost. I can tell you if it's in the New or Old Testament though...... that brings on another stereotype:

*not all Christians go around spouting Bible verses everytime they speak. Yes, we should read it and know it, but it also said that the Word is written on our hearts. Not only should we read it but we should live it. Meaning our lives should reflect the things we read. Not a "holier than thou", or "humbler than thou", or whathaveyou, just well, if you read it and believe it then you'd live it. It's kinda hard to explain and type it.

Anyway, Jusenkyo no Pikachu, I totally laughed when I read that. And thanks for the answer......I thought that was right.... :wink:

Oh and another stereotype for Southerners:

*we do not all get dressed up to go to Wal-Mart. Some of us (me) boycott "Wallieworld". We get dressed up to go to Target.
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:53 pm

I was talking to Kiel the other day, and we've thought of some that apply to both of us. What's funny is that in someways, they conflict, depending on the situation.

For example:
1. Kiel doesn't drink, at all. Because of that, people think he's straight edge and uptight when they offer him a drink and he says no. In reality, he just chooses not too. He lets me, and he'll be DD for me. He's totally cool with other people drinking.

2. People who don't know Kiel, or have seen him not drink at a bar think that he's on drugs, because he's a really loud guy.

3. I got told at a job interview that they didn't want somebody with perfect grades, because they wanted somebody that got along with people, not hole up and study all the time. Excuse me, just because I have a 4.0 does not mean I don't have a life. I just know where my priorities stand at the moment, but I do get out and have fun, and have plenty of friends.

4. A lot of people assume Kiel is a Muslim, just because he's Arabic. He's actually Christian.

5. Oh yeah, and he's an American citizen.

6. I may be blond, but I sure as heck am not dumb, nor am I a slut.

7. Not all people that work in a fast food restaurants are High School drop outs. How do you expect people to pay for higher education?

8. Here's one that conflicts with number 3. Just because I have a picture on my facebook with a drink in my hand, and my eyes half closed, does not mean I'm an alcoholic. Maybe that was my only drink that night and I happened to blink when the picture was taken? I just hate how you hear about jobs not hiring somebody because they're too wild and crazy based on pictures. People have fun, and make goofy poses. (Though, just to prevent people from getting the wrong idea, my pictures are set so only my friends can see them)

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:09 am

wink568 wrote:I was talking to Kiel the other day, and we've thought of some that apply to both of us. What's funny is that in someways, they conflict, depending on the situation.

For example:
1. Kiel doesn't drink, at all. Because of that, people think he's straight edge and uptight when they offer him a drink and he says no. In reality, he just chooses not too. He lets me, and he'll be DD for me. He's totally cool with other people drinking.

2. People who don't know Kiel, or have seen him not drink at a bar think that he's on drugs, because he's a really loud guy.

3. I got told at a job interview that they didn't want somebody with perfect grades, because they wanted somebody that got along with people, not hole up and study all the time. Excuse me, just because I have a 4.0 does not mean I don't have a life. I just know where my priorities stand at the moment, but I do get out and have fun, and have plenty of friends.

4. A lot of people assume Kiel is a Muslim, just because he's Arabic. He's actually Christian.

5. Oh yeah, and he's an American citizen.

6. I may be blond, but I sure as heck am not dumb, nor am I a slut.

7. Not all people that work in a fast food restaurants are High School drop outs. How do you expect people to pay for higher education?

8. Here's one that conflicts with number 3. Just because I have a picture on my facebook with a drink in my hand, and my eyes half closed, does not mean I'm an alcoholic. Maybe that was my only drink that night and I happened to blink when the picture was taken? I just hate how you hear about jobs not hiring somebody because they're too wild and crazy based on pictures. People have fun, and make goofy poses. (Though, just to prevent people from getting the wrong idea, my pictures are set so only my friends can see them)
I have to totally agree with you on the not drinking thing.

I personally dont drink either and I wont drink even on special occasions. Sometimes people say Im being a @#$ because of this which hurts.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:08 pm

Lolita's (The Fashion, Not the book) (Does iy count? o.O)
-They are NOT only Nicey-Nice. I hate how people expect me to be a doormat, just because of the way I dress..
- Lolita is a fashion, not cosplay.
- Lolita is not some weird fetish fashion. There is nothing sexual about it.
- Not all of us are bitchy/mean/elitist. I like to see the fashion done right, but, I'm not going to be uber bitchy about it.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:25 am

Queen Of Hearts wrote:Lolita's (The Fashion, Not the book) (Does iy count? o.O)
-They are NOT only Nicey-Nice. I hate how people expect me to be a doormat, just because of the way I dress..
- Not all of us are bitchy/mean/elitist. I like to see the fashion done right, but, I'm not going to be uber bitchy about it.
Eh...Lolita CAN be a fetish, though. There's plenty of Lolita hentai, and a lot of people are turned on by it.

And some people DO only dress in Lolita for cosplay. I was one of them. Many people come to cons dressed in Lolita, and never dress it in any other time.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:00 pm

Tiff wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:Lolita's (The Fashion, Not the book) (Does iy count? o.O)
Eh...Lolita CAN be a fetish, though. There's plenty of Lolita hentai, and a lot of people are turned on by it.

And some people DO only dress in Lolita for cosplay. I was one of them. Many people come to cons dressed in Lolita, and never dress it in any other time.
Lolita isn't a fetish. Just because some people draw lolita in hentai, doesn't make it a fetish. And, just because someone is turned on by it, doesn't make it a fetish.

And, just because some people dress it for cosplay, doesn't mean it is cosplay.
And, most people dislike the fact people do it as "cosplay", because they just do some half-assed costume. Lolita isn't something that you can do a half-assed attempt at.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:03 pm

Well anything can be a fetish. And yes, lolita is a fetish for some people. And skirts, feet, tiny bikinis, leather, and other ordinary clothing for some people or things are a fetish for other people. There are many guys that are turned on by lolita. I was at a Japanese street fashion panel at the last con I went to, and nearly every guy in the room found girls to be extremely sexy while in lolita.

And it is a cosplay for some people. Just like wearing a Japanese school girl uniform is also a cosplay for some people, or putting on cat ears and a tail.

And yes I have met people that wear cat ears as a daily part of their attire...
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Rin wrote:Well anything can be a fetish. And yes, lolita is a fetish for some people. And skirts, feet, tiny bikinis, leather, and other ordinary clothing for some people or things are a fetish for other people. There are many guys that are turned on by lolita. I was at a Japanese street fashion panel at the last con I went to, and nearly every guy in the room found girls to be extremely sexy while in lolita.

And it is a cosplay for some people. Just like wearing a Japanese school girl uniform is also a cosplay for some people, or putting on cat ears and a tail.

And yes I have met people that wear cat ears as a daily part of their attire...
Yes, but, just because some people think it is a fetish, doesn't make it a fetish, and just because people wear it for cosplay, it doesn't mean it IS cosplay. That is what I am trying to say.
Yes, people wear school girl uniforms for cosplay, but, uniforms aren't cosplay, its a regular uniform.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:17 am

as a crossdresser I hear this kind of argument all the time. A lot of people say it is a fetish period. For me it isnt so much. Its a way of both venting frustration, and expressing the femininity I have inside me. Its not really a sexual thing at all, but Id be foolish to think that it isnt sexual for anyone.

The bottom line here is anything can be a fetish, but that isnt the end all of it.

Lolita fashion is seen as a fetish by a lot of people, and for them yes it is a fetish, but at the same time its not exclusively a fetish. For some people its simply a fashion.

Whatever your reasons for dressing lolita are, they are your reasons and you shouldnt let what other people think bother you too much.

If its not a fetish for you thats great, but at the same time you should accept that it is a fetish for other people and there really isnt anything wrong with that as long as its all consenting adults.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:10 pm

Stereotypes of people who work in Office Mail Centers

1. We are stupid, lazy, and need to get a real job

first of all we are not stupid as many of the people I work have or are getting degrees, as for being lazy when you have to handle hundreds of letter, packages, and various other mail related things I can hardly say anyone I work with is lazy. As for needing a real job, I like to see a company operate efficiently with out a reliable mail staff.

2. We are Serial Killer/Rapist

All I can say is if you believe this you need to stop watching Law and Order and other crime dramas

3. Rude/obnoxious

When it comes to this, it's a give and take, if you act like a jerk and treat us like dirt, then don't be surprise when we don't bend over backwards for you.

4. Untrustworthy

We handle a large amount of documents such as legal paper, resumes, and other sensitive items so unless it's a very shady company most mail staffer are very trustworthy.

That’s all I can think of right now, so if you have any please go ahead and share. :D
Last edited by Jamesares on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:28 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Lolita isn't a fetish. Just because some people draw lolita in hentai, doesn't make it a fetish. And, just because someone is turned on by it, doesn't make it a fetish.

And, just because some people dress it for cosplay, doesn't mean it is cosplay.
And, most people dislike the fact people do it as "cosplay", because they just do some half-assed costume. Lolita isn't something that you can do a half-assed attempt at.
-_- Seriously, how many people does it take to explain this?

ANYTHING can be a fetish for someone. Books can be a fetish. Cats can be a fetish. Anything that someone uses to consistantly turn oneself on, and basically requires that thing to get off IS A FETISH.

Why do you think there are things such as foot fetishes? Feet aren't meant to be sexual, nor are they sexual organs, but many people are turned on by them. Shoes? Shit? I mean, honestly.

Nobody's saying you're trying to dress up as some kind of sex queen. We're just making the point that Lolita IS a fetish for CERTAIN PEOPLE.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:36 am

I dont know if this really fits the topic but I think it does at least partly and its a nice story too. I wanted to hear what you all think

a friend of mine and his wife are getting their 8 year old son a Barbie doll for chirstmas (a really pretty fairy one too).

Why are they doing this? Because the son asked for it, and has apparently been asking for it for months.

They asked me what I thought about this and I said that it's actually kinda nice to get it for him if he really wants it, and dont worry about what other people say either there's nothing wrong with it. It's not going to "make him gay" or anything like that.

The only advice I gave was for them to tell the son not to mention it in school, he has no reason to feel ashamed but at the same time the kids in school would most likely taunt him for it.

Its nice to see that some people are brave enough to go against established stereotypes. For every boy out there who wants a toy tank there is another one who wants a doll, and for every girl who wants a doll theres one that wants a toy tank. It's nice to see one of those kids is getting what they wants this year, even if it's a toy thats typically for the opposite gender. :)

Thats what I think anyway.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:51 pm

I've always thought there was nothing wrong with letting boys play with dolls. Boys like to play pretend just as much as girls. What's wrong with establishing ideas about pretend or playing house and such? In Pre-K and daycare classrooms, boys often enjoy playing in the pretend kitchen or dress up very much...is using a doll to play the same sort of games somehow different?

My brother and I used to play with eachother all the time. Sometimes, I played GI Joe and Transformers and He-Man with him. And sometimes, he played Barbie and My Little Pony with me. Hell, a lot of the times we combined the games. This went on until I was about 9, and he was about 11. He is one of the most masculine guys I know, and isn't somehow "damaged" in any way.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:43 pm

I don't see any problem with boys playing with girl toys and vice versa. I remember when I was younger I was a at a store and begged my mom to get me a Thomas the Tank Engine blanket. She kept insisting that I should want the Disney princess blanket. But she gave in and let me have my Thomas blanket. I'm not "shattered" in any way...I still have my Thomas blanket to this day and I'm not giving it up *holds on to Thomas blankie*

Anyways a stereotype that has annoyed me recently is about this new girl at my school. She's originally from the South (Georgia), first month at school she had her southern accent. But people at my school were poking fun at her accent. After that she changes her accent a bit to make it more "Northerner". My friend told me that she (new girl) said that someone told her this "Go back to the South you hick". Not only that but there is a rumor going about that her parents are apparently part of the KKK. Stupid stereotypes, why must people assume that if you're from the south you're automatically a racist? Oh and she does hang out with people of different backgrounds.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:47 pm

That made me think of a story I once heard somewhere where a little boy asked his dad in a store one day if he could get a baby doll. The dad said he would think about it, and they left the store. Over the next few days, the dad couldn't figure out why his son (who was somewhere between 6 and 9 at the time) wanted a "girl's toy." Finally, the dad went to his son and asked him why he wanted a baby doll. The son's reply was, "So I can learn how to be a good daddy." The dad took his son to the store that very day and got him the doll.

That being said, I think it's unfair to tell a child that they can't have a certain type of toy just because it doesn't belong to their gender category.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:54 pm

I hate that too. My cousins get called stuff like that all the time because they grew up in the Carolinas and have accents. Then when they go back there some random jerks at thier schools call them Yankies (or other less appropriate names...) becuase they were born in Ohio.

About the whole gender toy thing. Toys do not have genders. They do not affect the child's femininity/masculinity. Kyle, the "manliest" man I know played dollhouse with his little sister (and still does on special occasions) while William, one of my gay friends, was never allowed to even touch a doll.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:37 am

Dollhouses and baby dolls are actually very good toys for young children to play with, both girl and boy. It allows them to create pretend scenarios, and as mentioned in the above story, establish parental and domestic roles so children can learn about these things.

I fully intend on getting Michael a wooden dollhouse and a play kitchen when he's older. It's something he'll probably enjoy playing with, and it's something he can share if the next baby is a girl.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Some personal:
Just because I don't go out with my friends every weekend does not make me anti-social.
I'm not anti-social if I go long periods without talking.
Teen + driver's license =/= terrible driver all the time
Just because I haven't had a boyfriend doesn't make me a lesbian
If I'm not a sports girl or a girly girl, I am somehow bi? o_O Someone assumed I was bi because I was in between wtf?
Just because I'm for a lower drinking age does not make me a closeted alcoholic, I don't even drink at all.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!