Clearing up some stereotypes

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:00 pm

the*blue*girl wrote:Colorguard sterotypes:
we are not people who couldn't make the cheer squad.
we do not WAVE or TWIRL, we SPIN.
they are not guns and swords, they are rifles and sabers.
we do not have orgies in the guard room (-_- who would think up that one.....)
we are not all gay.
yes, we compete. for scores and everything. shocker.
we are not hippies.
we can have a social life.
there are no bullets in our rifles, so no, we don't use them for hunting (-_-)
there is a point to the work we do.
I know with all of those. at school, *even though our band sucks and our marching show sucks* tehre are several colorguard members who are cheerleaders. The Italicized... horny teenagers who can't look stuff up online, so they fantasize about random crap.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Fruityla
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Fruityla » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:52 pm

the*blue*girl wrote:Colorguard sterotypes:
we are not people who couldn't make the cheer squad.
we do not WAVE or TWIRL, we SPIN.
they are not guns and swords, they are rifles and sabers.
we do not have orgies in the guard room (-_- who would think up that one.....)
we are not all gay.
yes, we compete. for scores and everything. shocker.
we are not hippies.
we can have a social life.
there are no bullets in our rifles, so no, we don't use them for hunting (-_-)
there is a point to the work we do.

Given how annoyed you sound about these, you may as well have bullets XD

"Don''t let the cave-in get you down
Don''t let the falling rocks turn your smile into a frown...Sokka"
- Minstrel "Avatar: The Last Avatar"

Now you see me <_< Now you don''t

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 am

* Not all lovers of small dogs are Paris Hilton wannabes. (srsly)
* Not all cat people are stuck-up and don't like to have fun. (SRSLY!)
* Not all people who enjoy the mall are preps. (srs--ah, forget it. /grumbles from a distance/)
:roll:

For some reason, I've been accused of the above. :x
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Timmy
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Timmy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:16 am

heh although the majority of the original posters stuff is true we do actually do some of that stuff quite alot

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:50 am

Timmy wrote:heh although the majority of the original posters stuff is true we do actually do some of that stuff quite alot
Like what?
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."

Timmy
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Timmy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:15 pm

i am not going to extend on this nor do i want it developing into an argument but one example is not everyone thinks of our PM as a complete f****** idiot, if so he would not be voted on

otakugirl17
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by otakugirl17 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:19 am

I know it's been said, but I'll throw in my two cents anyway to get it off my chest.

Mississippi- Not all idiots( I'm an honor student)/rednecks/ghetto.
Nor are we all racist.
Or have heavy accents( I have no accent and speak very proper English).
We DO NOT all own farms and raise animals.
It DOES snow down here- just not very often( I've seen it snow here three times through my childhood and even had a snow day).

African Americans- DON'T listen to rap 24/7( I depise rap)
Are not all wannbe gansters or ghetto( I do not act remotely ghetto. In fact, I've been called a "sell out" for "acting white" which I find to be very stupid).
Are not all poor with over 10 kids on welfare
Are not all loud and obnoxious( I am a very quiet person and keep my feelings to myself).
Not all of us look for fights ( I try to avoid unnessecary fights).

Anime/Video game fans- DO have social lives ( while I consider myself a loner, I DO have friends who I enjoy spending time with occasionally).
DO NOT Watch/play anime/video games
24/7. (I DO have other interests).

DO NOT want to be Asian just because we like anime or video games that are anime based OR becauase we happen to find the Japanes culture interesting( I find the Spanish culture interesting, but does that make me wish I was Spanish? No. It doesn't. I am very proud of my African heritage).

Introverts- We are not stuck up just because we aren't the most social people in the world.

We ARE NOT potential killers who want to shoot up everything.

We ARE NOT weird horrible freaks because we rather stay home and read a book than go to a loud, crowded party.

We ARE NOT drepressed/crazy people who cut ourselves. Being a quiet person does not mean I'm a candidate for a psycologist. *coughs and points to the many "counselors" I've been sent to*

Last time I checked- being more mature than most of today's wild teens DOES NOT make me a bad person. Nor should having a deeper way of thinking for someone my age make me a horrible person either.

*Chuckles bitterly* It's like a person can't be themselves these days without being stamped into some silly stereotype.

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:57 am

otakugirl17 wrote:African Americans - Are not all wannbe gansters or ghetto( I do not act remotely ghetto. In fact, I've been called a "sell out" for "acting white" which I find to be very stupid).
How the hell do you "act white" or black for that matter? I never understood the whole "acting like your race" thing. Another stereotype I find with African Americans, is that they can't be racist. Sounds oxymoronic, but racism isn't limited to a certain race.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:41 pm

Well, here is one that I really hate so much. It's about Irish people and how they always drink. WTH, I'm Irish, and my grandparents are Iirsh, but they don't drink. Nobody that is Irish in my family that I know of drinks, except my Uncle, and that is only sometimes. Really, when I say I'm Irish, some idiots come up to me to ask if my whole family drinks. Hello? I don't and will never drink.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:46 pm

Kameko wrote:Another stereotype I find with African Americans, is that they can't be racist. Sounds oxymoronic, but racism isn't limited to a certain race.
I hate that. :x I remember reading what this one (white) girl said in a magazine: she thinks it's pathetic that white people have been accused of being discriminated against, and she starts bringing up all this crap that happened in the past. "Have YOU ever been refused a job because of the color of your skin? Have YOU ever known someone who was lynched for something they didn't do because of their race?" Seriously, that was in the past, dearie. MOVE ON! Today, anybody can be racist, no matter who was more racist than the other in history.
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:21 pm

Kameko wrote:
How the hell do you "act white" or black for that matter? I never understood the whole "acting like your race" thing. Another stereotype I find with African Americans, is that they can't be racist. Sounds oxymoronic, but racism isn't limited to a certain race.
A stereotype cannot exist unless there is someone to live up to it.

It's sad, but there are a lot of african americans out there who DO go out of their way to "act black". They deliberately blast rap 24/7. They deliberately wear their pants to their ankles. They deliberately refuse to associate with whites except to fight with them, and they deliberately go out of hteir way to speak as incoherently and "ghetto" as possible.

That's "acting black", and I can tell you, working at a school where I see high schoolers all day long, they DO purposely do it. I've SEEN it. To them, it "defines their culture", when really all they're doing is living up to a racial stereotype and behaving like idiots, giving African Americans who live and work intelligently a bad name.

Heaven forbid a white person walk up to them, and spout the word "nigger", even though they've been calling THEMSELVES and EACHOTHER that all day long.

The reverse racism gets to me, too, as I've experienced it over, and over, an dover.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:56 pm

Tiff wrote:
Kameko wrote:
A stereotype cannot exist unless there is someone to live up to it.

It's sad, but there are a lot of african americans out there who DO go out of their way to "act black". They deliberately blast rap 24/7. They deliberately wear their pants to their ankles. They deliberately refuse to associate with whites except to fight with them, and they deliberately go out of hteir way to speak as incoherently and "ghetto" as possible.

That's "acting black", and I can tell you, working at a school where I see high schoolers all day long, they DO purposely do it. I've SEEN it. To them, it "defines their culture", when really all they're doing is living up to a racial stereotype and behaving like idiots, giving African Americans who live and work intelligently a bad name.

Heaven forbid a white person walk up to them, and spout the word "nigger", even though they've been calling THEMSELVES and EACHOTHER that all day long.
I know that. But how did the whole idea that thier is a certain set of behaviors based on your race begin? Why is thier even such an idea? That is what I meant by my question of acting like a cetain race. Hopefully I'm making sense.
The reverse racism gets to me, too, as I've experienced it over, and over, an dover.
I hate the term reverse racism. It implys that (at least to me) that racism is something that originally could only be done to blacks because they are doing the opposite. Racism is racism is racism. If you discriminate against someone because of thier race, that's racism. Thier is no "reversing" it. Reversing racism would mean not discriminating because of someone's race
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:10 pm

Well, from what I know, some of the current racism against Africans (and people with darker skin in general) possibly because Europeans wanted to take over their lands and colonize them. However, it's kind of hard to dominate someone you see as an equal, so I guess they started seeing the Africans as inferior to have an excuse to be mean to them. It's like how in wars, the government makes up propaganda and makes out the enemy to be inhuman monsters or masses so that the soldiers won't have a problem with killing them.

However, the general tendency to stereotype (both positive and negative stereotypes) comes from a human need to categorize things, including other people. And so often general cultural traits are exaggerated and some people expect that ALL people in a certain group will be that way. Like Blacks with rap music, sure, it's a style that's associated with them, and then some people take generalizations too literally and apply it to everyone.

As much as I don't like stereotypes myself, I know that I have that same human tendency myself. For example, I sometimes have to remind myself that not all religious people are bossy about their beliefs just because the more vocal ones are. That's another thing, often the ones who are most vocal in a group are the ones that people see on TV, and that's what some people think the whole group is like. This is especially true when there are no counter-images to combat the stereotype, or at least very few. People stereotype blacks as being loud because the most vocal ones are loud, and they don't notice the quiet ones because, they're, well, being quiet. Or else seeing all white people as racist because often the racist ones are very vocal about it.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:38 pm

Kameko wrote:
I know that. But how did the whole idea that thier is a certain set of behaviors based on your race begin? Why is thier even such an idea? That is what I meant by my question of acting like a cetain race. Hopefully I'm making sense.
*shrugs* Got me. Sadly enough, I haven't lived that long to answer that. =P Stereotyping has existed for years and years, though, that's for certain...whether it was between races or social classes.

I hate the term reverse racism. It implys that (at least to me) that racism is something that originally could only be done to blacks because they are doing the opposite. Racism is racism is racism. If you discriminate against someone because of thier race, that's racism. Thier is no "reversing" it. Reversing racism would mean not discriminating because of someone's race
Don't get me wrong. I hate it, too. The only reason I use it is to make the point that a lot of minorities seem to think racism only DOES exist from whites to them, and not vice versa. That's simply what I meant.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:59 pm

I know that this is a little off-topic, but don't you hate it when you see somebody call an African-American or Spanish person "black"? It disgusts me to the core. Really, why call them black? If you are going to address them, at least address them the same way you address your own race.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Sailor V wrote:I know that this is a little off-topic, but don't you hate it when you see somebody call an African-American or Spanish person "black"? It disgusts me to the core. Really, why call them black? If you are going to address them, at least address them the same way you address your own race.
...K first off, I've never seen a Spanish person addressed as "black". o__O ever.

But as for calling African Americans black? Hell, why not? I call myself white. And they call themselves black quite a bit. *shrugs* I honestly see nothing wrong with that.

Last I checked, most of the black people I work with aren't African. In fact? One of my closest black friends HATES being called African American. "I'm not African, my family isn't African, thanks. Politically correct, my ass. I'm black."

Oh, and her roommate/best friend? IS part African (her dad is from Nigeria), and STILL prefers black.

I certainly don't expect people to say:

"Hey, what is Tiff? Is she white?"
"Nah, she's Mexican-Italian-German with a bit of Scottish-American!=D!1111"

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:17 pm

Sailor V wrote:I know that this is a little off-topic, but don't you hate it when you see somebody call an African-American or Spanish person "black"? It disgusts me to the core. Really, why call them black? If you are going to address them, at least address them the same way you address your own race.
I call them black because African American is an indicator of nationality not race. As Tiff pointed out, not all blacks are Africans and, to add to that, not all Africans are black. Non-blacks do occupy Africa.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:23 pm

Kameko wrote:
I call them black because African American is an indicator of nationality not race. As Tiff pointed out, not all blacks are Africans and, to add to that, not all Africans are black. Non-blacks do occupy Africa.
EXACTLY.

Most black people my age? NOT African. Therefore, they are black, both to themselves and to me.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:29 pm

I came across something funny today.

A classmate was talking to me about her church and about something that happened during her service. I responded that nothing ever exciting happends at Catholic masses.

She just kind of looked at me and said "Don't you guys worship statues?" XD

I just said not quite.

So yeah, we don't worship statues, saints or Mary. Statues make the church look pretty, we look up to the Saints as examples and we honor Mary because she gave birth to a baby without having sex.

Oh yeah, and despite what the pope says, most of us do infact use birth control. ;)
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

michikodesu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by michikodesu » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:55 pm

Okay, I'm gonna jump in on this one as well:

Being Black: *hugs otakugirl17 and tiff*
*we do not all watch BET
*we are not all Democrats and those who are Republican did not 'sell out'
*not every black female wants a "weave" or fake nails
*does not mean I have an attitude, snap my fingers, roll my eyes, suck my teeth, swing my neck, or say 'girlfriend' or 'mmhmmm' or swear when I'm upset
*the idea of bling makes me dry-heave
*not all blacks are born with an innate sense of rhythm or athleticism (I do ballet and modern----not "booty" and even though I love to play sports, i have to work and constantly practice)
*I can't stand the term "African-American"
*I can't stand 'ghetto literature'----I hate walking into Barnes and Noble looking for good literature (Austin, Bronte, Poe, Faulkner) only to find far too many smut books
*we are not all loose/slutty/horny/what have you
*we do not achieve to be basketball stars, rap stars, singers, hairstylists
*we do not all have big butts and flaunt our backsides
*I do not listen to gospel and dress up to go to church (I'm fine in my jeans and flip flops)
*here I may confuse people but I am not proud to be 'black'....I am labeled black because of the tone of my skin. It has nothing to do with who I am as a person. I am first and foremost a human being and it shouldn't really go any farther than that. And as human beings we should treat all people with dignity and respect and love.

Being Christian:
*We do not all condemn people
*We do not all watch those people on tv......many of them I wonder if they are truly Christian
*We do not all look the same
*I do not like to speak "christian-ese"
*Life is not easy after you've accepted Christ in your life. Actually, it gets harder
*I do not do things just to follow rules and codes or what have you
*I do not drink alcohol because I think it's bad, I don't drink it because I don't like the taste.....it's too strong for me
*I have many friends who have different religious beliefs/sexual preferences/ways of life/etc........and yes, we do get along
*we are not all into politics
*yes, we believe that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Light, but if you don't...that's gravy
*we do not all think that movies/music/malls/tv shows are evil....

FEMALE PE TEACHERS:
*are not all lesbians
*are not all about basketball
*are not all fashion-illiterate (my department head has closets and closets of shoes w/ bags and outfits to match)
*also, some of us do where make-up and do our hair
*we do not just cater to "jocks"---we have to deal with every child in the school and they are all lumped into one class (the gifted, the norm, the lazy, the unmotivated, kids with IEPs) and we have to modify our lessons for each child
*we are not dumb jocks---we know what we are talking about and are highly educated

TEACHERS (IN GENERAL):
*are not always out to get your child.....if you stop and think for a moment, you might find out that your child is not perfect after all (especially after each teacher has written him/her up more than once)
*it's not the teacher's fault when the student is failing
*do not all dress frumpy---see FEMALE PE TEACHERS
*do not all drive crap cars----i do right now (92 Mitsubishi Galant), but am looking forward to getting my Xterra in a few months
*do not work just for a paycheck
*truly care about their students----but it gets so frustrating when you want the best for them and you want to show them that there is more to life but they just want to settle with what they have and be mediocre when you know they can do so much more
GAZ: I m only thirteen levels away from finishing this game. So I either finish my game or make you wish I was never born!!