Clearing up some stereotypes

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:53 pm

Feminists:
Are not necessarily man-haters (there's a difference between hating oppressive patriarchal societies and hating men).
Are not necessarily ugly.
Are not necessarily lesbians.
Are not angry.
Are not irrational or PMSing.
Don't just need a good man.
Aren't humorless.
Are not all women's studies majors.
Are not frigid bitches.
Don't believe that women should have more rights than men.
Do not think that all men are rapists.
Aren't bra-burners.
Aren't all WOMEN.

I think it's these stereotypes that lead people to deny that they're feminists, while holding completely feminist opinions ("I'm not a feminist, but...") Of course there are feminists who fit into these stereotypes, but I really think they're in the minority.

Bisexuals:
Aren't necessarily sluts.
Don't just make out with other girls at parties when they're drunk.
Do not exist simply to have male-fantasy mff threesomes.

Atheists:
Don't necessarily hate all Christians.
Are, actually, trying to eliminate God and Jesus from society. :P (Kidding.)
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:56 pm

Also, feminists do NOT consider abortion a sacrement.

As for being atheistic, I reserve the right to keep god out of my life, and to try to sheild my children from it.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:06 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:Also, feminists do NOT consider abortion a sacrement.
I don't know what you're talking about, fella, but my femmy dyke friends and I get together every Christmas and roast up a fetus we scrounged out of Planned Parenthood's dumpster and eat it. Just out of thanks to Roe.

Seriously, though. There is a sect of feminism that is anti-abortion.

Another stereotype that needs to be debunked:
There is no "ONE FEMINIST DOCTRINE"--The only, ONLY, ONLY thing uniting feminists is that the idea that the genders should be equal. They disagree on damned near everything else.
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

artemis_is_my_dawg
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by artemis_is_my_dawg » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:18 pm

Tiff wrote:
artemis_is_my_dawg wrote:
black dresser stereotypes: (i wear black most of the time)

*just cuz i wear black doesnt mean im gothic or worsip the devil
* i'm nothing to fear
*i dont get in trouble or am i ever depressed
*black is not a bad color, its actually the fanciest color when i last checked.

in school, everyone calls me gothic and its SO annoying! i love black, so i wear it, is that such a crime??
*Nods* that really tends to annoy me. Black looks really good on a lot of people (myself included), and so some people own a lot of it. It doesn't mean they sit in their rooms and cut themselves -_-
thank you! i wish there were more people like you where i live :cry:

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:51 pm

Need to add something that happened just a few days ago...

Just because I'm holding a baby in a public place, doesn't mean I'm a slut, irresponsible, loose, or a bad parent.
Um, in fact, I might not even be a parent at all.

OK, my family and I went to the fair, and my cousin's little 3-month-old baby was with us. I love that baby, so I offered to carry the little darling around the place. And more than a few times people were throwing me dirty looks, and two ladies were obviously whispering and pointing at me. One old woman actually looked like she was smelling her upper lip.

Didn't really bother me because I know the truth. But, I did think the following...
1. Funny, this baby doesn't look a thing like me. I suppose she takes after her father Jessica. :wink:
2. Damn, I look good for having a baby just a few months ago :P
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:00 pm

I know what you mean. I had a friend in High School who came from a huge family with lots of siblings, and she was saying how she'd be out walking one of her newest siblings in their stroller and people would be giving her looks.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:43 pm

Yeah, that is bullshit...

About 2 years ago when my cousin was born and (I would have been, like, 12 :shock: ) I was holding her while my aunt when on a roller coaster. I swear so many people looked at me. One lady even asked me when she was born and where her father was....

If only I could show you what I looked like when I was 12... I mean, it was just awkward...

(I did pretend she was my baby though. I couldn't resest doing it... XD)

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:52 pm

Panda
One lady even asked me when she was born and where her father was....
You should have said in a trashy getto voice, "His lazy ass be out selling weed to support me and my child Mmmhmm!"

>_> That's what I would have done. Though I like screwing with people's minds.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:38 pm

peachvampiress wrote:Panda
One lady even asked me when she was born and where her father was....
You should have said in a trashy getto voice, "His lazy ass be out selling weed to support me and my child Mmmhmm!"

>_> That's what I would have done. Though I like screwing with people's minds.
XD I'll remember that one next time.
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."

MageNehelenia
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by MageNehelenia » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:36 pm

More Washington stereotypes. (First off, sorry if this is seen as dredging up an old topic. @[email protected];) Specifically, Eastern Washington.

-Not all of Washington is peppered with evergreens. Ever try looking east of the Cascades?
-Yes, people actually live east of the Cascades.
-Contrary to popular belief, people who live in or near the Tri-Cities (read: Hanford Site) do not glow in the dark. (I'm tired of hearing these jokes whenever I go to West Side and tell people I'm from Kennewick.)
-Also contrary to popular belief, east side actually does get rain, and even *gasp* snow!
-And yet again, contrary to popular belief, Eastern Washington exists.
-Spokane is just as large and important of a city as Seattle.
-Easterners are not hicks, even if we may have more "rural" areas than West Side.
-Not everyone in the Tri-Cities will be able to tell you about the Hanford Site. (Even, I'm not sure everyone cares very much, either.)

And some more Asian stereotypes.

-Not all of us are geniuses. (Hell, I'm in Running Start, and I still don't have a lick of common sense.)
-Not all of us obsess over studying. (Heck, I don't usually study unless I'm actually concerned about a test.)
-Similarly, not all of us are big on anime. (Even though I am XD)
-Not all of us have...ah...the short end of the stick.

And some band geek ones, too.

-Never, never, NEVER reference American Pie (unless you also happen to be a band geek). Specifically, do not say anything that Alyson Hannigan's character said.
-We are not horny sluts who go around screwing anyone in sight. (Many of us are, in fact, virgins.)
-The idea of using a flute...inappropriately...is utterly disgusting and horrifying to any band geek, ESPECIALLY flautists.
-We don't go to the football/basketball game because we actually want to. (I remember one game in particular where we were the ONLY people there besides concessions, etc., and we could all think of better things to do.)
-Being a wind player/drummer=/=being in marching band or pep band.
-Band camp is for learning marching basics, music, and the drill, not for orgies.
-Not every band geek is super-intelligent. (Heck, not every band geekis intelligent at all, XD)
"In this world, there is no such thing as coincidence; there is only hitsuzen." - Ichihara Yuuko, xxxHOLiC

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:28 am

MageNehelenia wrote: -The idea of using a flute...inappropriately...is utterly disgusting and horrifying to any band geek, ESPECIALLY flautists.
A choir-mate once played the trumpet. She was disgusted too. As for me, I cringed at the bit with the trombone.

I also once had a weekend away with five nutty choristers (two sopranos, two altos, and a tenor. I'm a bass, BTW). The weekend was nicknamed the "Weekend of Passion" (referring to Bach's St. Matthew's Passion, the big piece we were rehearsing at the time) and we decided that was bad enough.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:17 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:
MageNehelenia wrote: -The idea of using a flute...inappropriately...is utterly disgusting and horrifying to any band geek, ESPECIALLY flautists.
A choir-mate once played the trumpet. She was disgusted too. As for me, I cringed at the bit with the trombone.

I also once had a weekend away with five nutty choristers (two sopranos, two altos, and a tenor. I'm a bass, BTW). The weekend was nicknamed the "Weekend of Passion" (referring to Bach's St. Matthew's Passion, the big piece we were rehearsing at the time) and we decided that was bad enough.
>XP I hate that movie anyway. I have no clue why everyone loves it, but it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

I have another to add....
I'm 5"2 and 110 pounds and a size 5. Don't I ever eat anything, you ask? Why, yes I do, I respond. I love food. And I'm a big fan of chocolate. No, I told you, I do NOT starve myself, and I do not eat and throw it all up. I eat and digest it. I was born this way and I keep it by exercising. Don't freakin tell me I "need" to gain weight, because that will only happen if I stop exercising, and I'm more worried about my health than my image, OK? Looking at Paris Hilton has no effect on me.
By the way, I'm not a "skinny little bitch" who "hates on fat people". I have quite a few overweight friends who I care about, AND I have a boyfriend who's on the large side, and I love him very much. So nyah!

That's basically the conversation I usually have with someone who brings this up. Oy. >.<
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:10 pm

>_< Sorry to post in a topic that is on the old side and hasnt been posted in in a while but I just HAVE to put some of my tought in here XD

Anime fans:

Dont always read Manga (I am a big R.L.Stine and meg cabot fan)
Dont watch anime 24/7 (I LOVE myth bustrs and mindfreak ;__; )
Arent overweight and ugly thanks to that aniem sucks site people belive that >_>
Do bad in school (I am very good in school)
Arent nerds (I MAY be a nerd but that doesnt make me un social)

Libary hermits:
Havent read every book in the libary (I'm damn close tough!)
Arent nerds (Not toally :D)
Dont sneak out from class to go to the libary ( >_>)

Dancers:
Dont dance 24/7
Do have a social life
Arent around turing everyone into dancer freaks
Dont go around going to every ballet possible O_O

I have a few more but my brain is DEAD

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:23 am

I dont know if this is a widespread stereotype but its one I always heard.

"Country people are a lot nicer then City people"

Having lived in the country for a year now Ive learned that they are as maniuplative, rude, and downright jerks as city people are, they just go about it in a different way.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:49 am

SeiUsa wrote:
Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:

>XP I hate that movie anyway. I have no clue why everyone loves it, but it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

I have another to add....
I'm 5"2 and 110 pounds and a size 5. Don't I ever eat anything, you ask? Why, yes I do, I respond. I love food. And I'm a big fan of chocolate. No, I told you, I do NOT starve myself, and I do not eat and throw it all up. I eat and digest it. I was born this way and I keep it by exercising. Don't freakin tell me I "need" to gain weight, because that will only happen if I stop exercising, and I'm more worried about my health than my image, OK? Looking at Paris Hilton has no effect on me.
By the way, I'm not a "skinny little bitch" who "hates on fat people". I have quite a few overweight friends who I care about, AND I have a boyfriend who's on the large side, and I love him very much. So nyah!

That's basically the conversation I usually have with someone who brings this up. Oy. >.<
And you remind me again of the "Weekend of Passion". There was a girl there who was overweight. Actually, she was one of the altos I bunked with. She actually had polycystic ovarian disorder--she can't lose weight. I haven't seen much of her since the camp, though.

And Meg Cabot pwnz all that's not Ann Brashares and Judy Blume. Seriously, Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants has to be one of the best teen books I know. But that's a whole other thread.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

nap*
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by nap* » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:18 pm

Jamaicans sterotypes

We don't all smoke weed
We don't all say yeah mon
Us males aren't all deadbeat fathers (even though I have one, but thats what benefits are for)
We don't all have dreadlocks
We don't all like coconut( me and my sister hate it)
We don't always wear yellow, black and green

British Teen

We are not all Yobs and have criminal offences
We all don't carry weapons
We aren't one minded drones that listen to one type of music playing our phones on max volume on public transport
We always get fish and chips (although that's what im having for dinner)

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:01 pm

Colorguard sterotypes:
we are not people who couldn't make the cheer squad.
we do not WAVE or TWIRL, we SPIN.
they are not guns and swords, they are rifles and sabers.
we do not have orgies in the guard room (-_- who would think up that one.....)
we are not all gay.
yes, we compete. for scores and everything. shocker.
we are not hippies.
we can have a social life.
there are no bullets in our rifles, so no, we don't use them for hunting (-_-)
there is a point to the work we do.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:23 pm

the*blue*girl wrote: they are not guns and swords, they are rifles and sabers.
To be fair, a rifle is a type of gun, and a sabre is a type of sword, so..uh...They truly ARE guns and swords. ^^;

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:35 pm

Tiff wrote:
To be fair, a rifle is a type of gun, and a sabre is a type of sword, so..uh...They truly ARE guns and swords. ^^;
It's one of those "You know you are in Color Guard when..."

-You get annoyed when people refer to your rifles and sabres as guns and swords.

I personally never cared what people refered to them as.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:17 am

Tiff wrote:
well yes, technically they are guns and swords, but they almost never called that, at least not on my team.
It's one of those "You know you are in Color Guard when..."

-You get annoyed when people refer to your rifles and sabres as guns and swords.
exactly ^_^

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.