Non-English-Language movies

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:03 pm

The only foreign language movie I have is Millenium Actress from Satoshi Kon who also directed Perfect Blue. It's a good movie and sad. This movie director, along with his assistant, finds and talks to this actress who disappeared at the height of her career. The actress tells the story of her life. Her entire life is a journey to find the man she loves and return this key to him. When she's telling this story it's as though the director and his assistant are experiancing it as it happens and movies the actress starred also are woven into the journey. The movie director even helps the actress at times. I cried when I watched it.
In all the subs that I have seen, they switch around the names in the subtitles so that the personal name comes first followed by the family name. In this one the subtitles leave it with the family name first so that when you hear them say the name it matches up with the subtitles.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:56 am

I watched Diaros de Motocicleta this evening, and I must say I was amazed. This was by far one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while. Emotive, powerful, all-around spectacular. The movie feels largely incomplete, but not in a bad way. It's real. The homeless aren't given homes in the ened, the lepers aren't magically cured, and the main character doesn't come to a firm conclusion by the end of the movie. For those who don't know, it's about Ernesto Guevara and Alberto Granado, and their journey through South America. It covers many of the events that inspired Ernesto Guevara to lead in the Cuban Revolution, as based on his memoire. A definite must see.

I will say, though, the subtitles in this movie are quite, well, liberal. The overall meaning of most isn't changed (though I don't speak Spanish, so I can't say that I actually know what they're saying), but the translations aren't quite exact. It doesn't detract from the movie however.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:59 am

Kameko wrote:In all the subs that I have seen, they switch around the names in the subtitles so that the personal name comes first followed by the family name. In this one the subtitles leave it with the family name first so that when you hear them say the name it matches up with the subtitles.
Kameko, can you please clear that up for me?
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:38 am

You know how in Japan the last name comes first but in the subtitles they'll switch it to the American way with last name last, at least in all the ones I've seen. But they left the names the Japanese way in the subtitles.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:39 am

...are you referring to fansubs vs official subs? Because you've still lost me.

Anyway...moving on...

Gojira

Believe it or not, before I saw this, I had never seen a complete Godzilla movie. I'd seen the beginning of Godzilla, King of the Monsters (and Godzilla In Name Only) and was forced to miss a bit of Gojira tai Biorante (IIRC. It's because I was late to a class and the relief teacher was easily irritated by such rudeness). It wasn't until I purchased the DVD (which has both Gojira and Godzilla) last week that I was able to see the monster's first appearance on our screens. And, unlike most of the English-speaking world, I saw the Japanese version first. Of course, no matter which version I saw first, I probably would have preferred this one, just because I don't have to hear anyone mispronounce "phenomenon" and see Raymond Burr interact with the world's worst voice actors.

The plot should need little to no introduction--a large, fire-breathing dinosaur is awakened by nuclear testing and goes berserk. Unfortunately, the army can't stop it, so it falls down to some scientists--Dr Yamane, who wants the creature studied, and Dr Serizawa, who has created an Oxygen Destroyer--a weapon so powerful that a piece no larger than a tennis ball could turn Tokyo Bay into a graveyard in a matter of seconds. Obviously, Serizawa has huge moral objections to using the weapon.

This is quite the atypical Godzilla movie--not only is the tone more somber, but the monster plays second fiddle to the humans. See, Yamane's daughter Emiko is betrothed to Serizawa, but she's in love with salvage expert Ogata. Unfortunately, it isn't too compelling and it isn't until Gojira starts to rampage that the film really picks up (and once it gets going, it really gets going). Also, it's the only Godzilla movie to have a message--Serizawa's Oxygen Destroyer is much like the Atomic Bomb, and Gojira is FEROCIOUS. The imagery of victims in this movie is quite disheartening.

Of course, a lot of the message was cut from the American release. To pad it out (and minimize the dubbing), Raymond Burr was added in as American journalist Steve Martin. This version was a very sensitively-done dub--whenever Martin interacts with original characters, their faces are never shown (except for one bit where he talks to Emiko and Ogata) and his appearance as a foreigner allows for several scenes to stay in Japanese. The major problem is that Burr is the only actor who doesn't sound wooden and the ending is one of those cases where the narration doesn't match the visuals.

[spoiler]See, in the original ending, Yamane mulled over the prospects of more Gojira-like monsters out there somewhere, but the American ending has Burr proclaiming the world safe for democracy. It does promote the warm safeness that Americans needed at the time, but we see shots of Yamane not looking very happy. It's all confusing.[/spoiler]

The American version also inspired one of my favourite lines from the 1998 remake: "It's GOJIRA, you moron!"
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:08 am

couldn't figure out whether or not to put this in the Sailor Moon board or make a separate thread of it at all. Finally decided to put it here. But before we go on, I must ask: DO YOU LIKE SUPERMARKET?

Miyuu Sawai in "Me/You"

I should note that this is the only Idol DVD I've ever seen. And I don't know enough Japanese to get around Japan.

A good many who post here will know who Miyuu Sawai is, but for those who don't, she plays Usagi in PGSM. Here, though, she stars as herself.

In this movie, she does stuff, talks, does more stuff and um...well, that's about it, really.

Me

Chapter 1: Backstage Pass
Credits. We move through a hotel room/apartment. We cut to black and white and speed up. But Miyuu's not done yet, so we have to sit through the exact same thing twice more. During this, we learn that Milk Kitchen is no dead. All three versions of this scene have her putting on a narrow-brim floppy hat. Twice the hat is red. After this is over, she says "well, I'm off" and leaves. We go to the title.

Chapter 2: Nice To Meet You
Here, Miyuu greets us and answers some questions. I can't understand Japanese, but at some points, Engrish phrases get thrown up, such as "We declare this way goes straight to the supermarket (again)". Unfortunately, these phrases are white on pastel (and in the case of the one just quoted, fairly small print). I'm guessing she is in fact walking to the supermarket, as this is where the next segment takes place. One of these bizarre phrases also says "Change Color Pattern". Which only proves that someone was stoned when they made this.
I should note that in this sequence, Miyuu appears in a frame of varying width while amateur effects do pastel colours on a white background. I must admit, some of the shots of Miyuu do look nicely framed. At one point, numbers appear on the screen.

Chapter 3: May '02, Rainy Day, Tokyo

It's rainy outside, so Miyuu plays basketball with friends. We get boxes appearing that give some names, but when you consider you have never seen these people before, that doesn't seem to mean much. I think it's Miyuu scoring the winning basket though. This is interspersed with shots of her and her friends eating ice cream.

We then see Miyuu wheeling a trolley around. Yes, you guessed it, it's a segue into...

Chapter 4: Do You Like Supermarket?

Why yes, I absolutely adore supermarket! Anyway, here Miyuu buys some groceries. While she's doing this, prices are shown on the screen. That's a good thing: it's been a lifelong dream of mine to find out how much fourteen-year-old models spend on groceries. She also buys a whisk, some candles and an egg beater. She spends about 6970 yen. Down here, that equals $83 dollars. That's one hell of a lot for just your groceries.

Anyway, why's she doing this? So she can bake a cake. I always thought teen Japanese models were young Nigellas, this proves it. Actually, we never see her actually baking the thing (at least not in the version I downloaded), we just see her putting two layers together and covering it in icing. She puts the candles on, names the cake Miyuu the Cake, and sets herself down to eat without either extinguishing or removing the candles. Now I know that the photography for Nigella Bites has yet to leave England. Thanks for proving that, Miyuu.

Chapter 5: Marine Jet Fever
Here, male Miyuu fans get to see what they always wanted to see: her in beach clothes. That is, if you don't mind seeing the disturbing image of an old Caucasian male in a Speedo. She rides a jetski, then goes away and forgets her thongs. Doesn't the ground get hot in Japan too?

Chapter 6: Retrospective Museum

Yes, Miyuu does visit a museum here. It's not that necessary, but it adds to the effect. See, here she's talking about childhood (I can't understand a word, but we get photos). We get to see photos of her getting a bottle, her singing karaoke, her holding a can to her mouth, her making a weird gesture and her playing basketball.

Chapter 7: A Hard Day's Night

I'm sure John Lennon would spin in his grave if he saw this. Maybe not much spinning, but this bit is compromised severely by the fact that half of You is inane to the extreme. This bit shows Miyuu at work. She poses in a kimono.

Chapter 8: Now and Then

In this Chapter, we see a lot of now and nothing of then. Which raises the question of "When will then be now?" Actually, Miyuu sits around a fire, wearing a kimono and carrying one of those bamboo/plastic fans. Here, the motif from Chapter 2 is repeated, only it's solely shots of her and the fire on a black background with no text. It looks kind of like the night shots on some reality show.

Which brings us full circle. We go out through the same apartment we saw at the beginning. Only this time, some text on the screen tells us that this is not déjàvu (sic). Words then appear on the screen in Japanese and English, thanking those with enough resolve to sit through this thing (which, admittedly, is better than the next half). We get to see Miyuu getting her hair styled and jumping on a dock trampoline. Here I'd like to remind you that Milk Kitchen is no dead. Here, the file I was watching ends, but I hear that it goes off to a seven minute sequence of things that didn't make the cut.

I think i'll probably leave the next bit up to someone else to review.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:42 pm

Ok...I'm not going to continue to review Me/You. I'm only posting in here for one reason: I saw a Bollywood film.

Karan Arjun

For those not yet aware of what Bollywood cinema is like, here's a rundown: These films--which outnumber their American counterparts hugely--are traditionally three hours long, low-budget and feature lots of song-and-dance sequences. Also, many Bollywood films are backed by independent backers--some of which come from the underworld.

Now that I've described Bollywood films in general, let's go to this one.

Karan and Arjun are brothers raised in innocence of their true parentage--their mother married the son of Thakur sahib (a feudal landlord), thereby disgracing the family. Thakur sahib is about to die, and his two grandsons are the heirs to his inheritance. However, his nephew Durjan Singh wants the birthright and so kills the two. However, their mother is unforgiving, and firmly believes that her sons will be reincarnated by the goddess Kali. Of course, since her sons died before the opening credits, they are reincarnated. Not only that, but (typical to reincarnation stories) they have dreams about their past lives. Of course, fate brings them back together and they set off for the village where their mother lives. Of course, word of their return gets to Durjan Singh--whose son is betrothed to Vijay/Arjun's lover. And the stage is set for a bloody battle.

I don't speak Hindi or Hindustani, so the acting was lost on me (although I hear the two leads were superstars at that point--one even had an affair with Aishwarya Rai), but I will note that at some points, the dialogue switched to English. One notable example of this is the character of Suraj, who likes to say the phrase "What a Joke!" Although this is not ar all uncommon--many films have done this since the explosion of the multiplexes--it does strike me, your average westerner, as a tad bizarre.

Even stranger, however, are the references to reincarnation--the bad guys seem to believe that people can be killed so horribly that they can't be reincarnated. I am still trying to fathom the logic here--I have certainly never myself thought of reincarnation as being dependent on the circumstances of a person's death.

However, I shouldn't dwell on the bad points. The songs, while hardly memorable, are decent toe-tappers (and one song pretty much pushes the bounds of sexuality as far as this Indian Censor-friendly film wants to go--which is not very far, although this film does feature a roll in the hay and some head-and-shoulders nudity). And the action scenes do get quite exciting.

All up, I'd say this was a decent introduction to the wonders of Bollywood.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:23 am

Das doppelte Lottchen

If you're German, you might be surprised to find that one of your country's most famous childrens authors apparently has nothing on Astrid Lindgren. For while I, like many a child, first read Pippi Longstocking at the age of five, I have never read a single Kästner. And, like many an English speaker, I was first introduced to Kästner through Hayley Mills and Lindsay Lohan. See, although one of his more famous works has been printed down here as Lisa and Lotte (Lisa being a translation of Luise), it just has not caught on as much as The Parent Trap. It's like the book of Psycho or 2001.

Last week, I managed to snag a video of an early film adaptation (with actual twins playing our leads). The video was a German import, which means it has no subtitles. Unfortunately, despite the fact that I think Kommissar Rex is one of the best shows on TV, I cannot speak a word of German, so I was left in the lurch. I had to seek out this site here in order to get a grip on a few parts.

The first difference between this movie and its Disney counterparts appears right at the beginning (well, aside from the title)--this tale is narrated by Erich Kästner himself. The second difference is in the tone of the film--while the other ones are slapstick comedies involving both a fish out of water plot and a romance, this one is a drama. In fact, the only real joke I could decipher was one where Luise did her hair up to look like Lotte in order to play a trick on the other kids at the camp. Indeed, the girls respective hair is indicative of a further difference--Luise's is curly and done up at the back, and Lotte's is done up in farm girl braids. See, Luise's father is a well-off composer, but Lotte's mother is poor and has her daughter take care of her (a fact shown by Luise's attempts at making stew). However, Luise's father has little time for her, and she really needs affection. And, as in the Disney remakes, her father is getting married again. And--in a move unseen in either Parent Trap--one of the girls falls sick.

The only problem hindering my enjoyment of this movie is the language barrier. As I said before, my German is extremely rusty (in fact, my LOTE of choice was French), and I now have the urge to request this movie from SBS or, failing that, read the book or get an independent translation and fansub it.

But, if you, like me, recognised the 1998 film's elevator sequence as a joke from My Favorite Wife (and really, the entire climax of the movie was based around the same idea only with two girls instead of one man), then find this one, learn German and watch. You won't be disappointed.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Vagabond
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Vagabond » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:52 am

One movie that I would recommend is a Brazilian movie named Cicaca de Deus, otherwise known as City of God. It basically depicts the rise and fall of a local drug lord named Lil Ze, a kid who was born with "the gift of crime." It sort of like The Godfather, only it takes place in the slums of Rio de Jeneiro and instead of grown men you see little 10 year kids killing each other. Just to let you know what kind of kids these are, one of them says, "I smoke and I snort, I rob and I kill. I'm a man!" During one gut wrenching scene, a 10 year old is told by the crime boss to choose between exceuting a 10 year old or a 6 year old. Another notable thing about this movie is that it is narrated by a civilian, a photographer who grew up in the slums. It was a very influential movie I heard, because the Brazilian government actually responded to it by saying it should enact more reforms. Its also got some nifty camera tricks and stylish cinematography.
If you just see the leaf, you'll miss the tree;
If you just see the tree, you'll miss the forest;
To see everything, effortlessly, that is what it means to truly see.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:33 am

Swing Girls

I'd been meaning to get my grubby paws on this film for quite some time, ever since I saw the trailer at the Japanese Quicktime site. It looked like the film would be a lot of fun. I finally downloaded it last week.

I most certainly was not disappointed. Then again, this movie comes from the producers of the films Sumo Do, Sumo Don't, Shall We Dansu and Water Boys. I haven't seen Water Boys, so I can't comment, but if the other two weren't original concepts, then they offered fresh takes on their subjects. This one does too.

Swing Girls is about a class of Japanese girls who are taking math in Summer School. Unfortunately, summer being what it is, it's really hot and the girls are unimpressed with the fact that they're stuck in a classroom. So, when the band's caterer turns up and discovers the band have gone to a summer game without him, the girls jump at the chance to help. Unfortunately, teens will be teens, and after they miss their stop, they are forced to walk back and disregard the laws of railroad safety. The food turns out to be poorly kept and spoils in the heat, giving the members of the band food poisoning. Fortunately for one of them, though, the girls ate one of the lunches. That one is Takuo, a lousy cymbal player who not only decides the girls should form a band, but also jumps at the chance to prove his talent on the keyboard. The girls reluctantly form a big band. And, although they don't know one note from another, they prove to be quick learners, and even start to enjoy playing music. Unfortunately, we're probably not even fifteen minutes in yet, and the school band is back on their feet.

So what do they decide to do? Simple: they form a band themselves. First obstacle: Instruments cost money. Meaning they have to get jobs. This is finally dealt with (in lots of diarama-esque shots [think the hyperspace scenes of Lost in Space]) as they escape (and inadvertently kill) a pesky boar. Second obstacle: six of them get fired. The ones who are kept on, however, leave the band. Third obstacle: the instruments aren't that great. Well, except for a couple of electric guitars that were with them since the beginning. This calls for some car wreckers. Fourth obstacle: They still aren't all that great. In fact, the only piece they really know is In the Mood, and they still haven't really figured out how to keep the sound smooth. This is dealt with in the oddest of manners, with inspiration in the most unusual of places, and an even more unusual mentor with an embarrassing secret.

This film is one hundred minutes of pure fun. Well, except for the food poisoning scene. That I could do without. But the rest of the movie was lots of fun. Most of that was because they only played the strengths--for once, we get no scenes featuring the two leads (Takuo and the bari sax player Tomoko) falling in love, nor do we get dissent among the members. Pretty much all we get is the girls either playing or being teenage girls (although we also are lacking in scenes set in their houses).

It's also somewhat believable--none of the music is dubbed (well, at least the trombones look right), and none of the actresses knew their quavers from their semibreves before starting on the film. My only quibbles with this are: primary school bands suck (I was in two. I should know), and there's one scene where the girls who ditched the band return with new instruments and sound good. Speaking as someone who has played not one but two musical instruments (not counting the recorder), I can certainly say that it takes time to master the instruments. Heck, I played for seven years and I'm still not great at either trombone or piano.

Other than that, the film's a fun, if inconsequential, ride. It's made me want to find a place where I can buy the DVD.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:27 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:Swing Girls

I'd been meaning to get my grubby paws on this film for quite some time, ever since I saw the trailer at the Japanese Quicktime site. It looked like the film would be a lot of fun. I finally downloaded it last week.

I most certainly was not disappointed. Then again, this movie comes from the producers of the films Sumo Do, Sumo Don't, Shall We Dansu and Water Boys. I haven't seen Water Boys, so I can't comment, but if the other two weren't original concepts, then they offered fresh takes on their subjects. This one does too.

Swing Girls is about a class of Japanese girls who are taking math in Summer School. Unfortunately, summer being what it is, it's really hot and the girls are unimpressed with the fact that they're stuck in a classroom. So, when the band's caterer turns up and discovers the band have gone to a summer game without him, the girls jump at the chance to help. Unfortunately, teens will be teens, and after they miss their stop, they are forced to walk back and disregard the laws of railroad safety. The food turns out to be poorly kept and spoils in the heat, giving the members of the band food poisoning. Fortunately for one of them, though, the girls ate one of the lunches. That one is Takuo, a lousy cymbal player who not only decides the girls should form a band, but also jumps at the chance to prove his talent on the keyboard. The girls reluctantly form a big band. And, although they don't know one note from another, they prove to be quick learners, and even start to enjoy playing music. Unfortunately, we're probably not even fifteen minutes in yet, and the school band is back on their feet.

So what do they decide to do? Simple: they form a band themselves. First obstacle: Instruments cost money. Meaning they have to get jobs. This is finally dealt with (in lots of diarama-esque shots [think the hyperspace scenes of Lost in Space]) as they escape (and inadvertently kill) a pesky boar. Second obstacle: six of them get fired. The ones who are kept on, however, leave the band. Third obstacle: the instruments aren't that great. Well, except for a couple of electric guitars that were with them since the beginning. This calls for some car wreckers. Fourth obstacle: They still aren't all that great. In fact, the only piece they really know is In the Mood, and they still haven't really figured out how to keep the sound smooth. This is dealt with in the oddest of manners, with inspiration in the most unusual of places, and an even more unusual mentor with an embarrassing secret.

This film is one hundred minutes of pure fun. Well, except for the food poisoning scene. That I could do without. But the rest of the movie was lots of fun. Most of that was because they only played the strengths--for once, we get no scenes featuring the two leads (Takuo and the bari sax player Tomoko) falling in love, nor do we get dissent among the members. Pretty much all we get is the girls either playing or being teenage girls (although we also are lacking in scenes set in their houses).

It's also somewhat believable--none of the music is dubbed (well, at least the trombones look right), and none of the actresses knew their quavers from their semibreves before starting on the film. My only quibbles with this are: primary school bands suck (I was in two. I should know), and there's one scene where the girls who ditched the band return with new instruments and sound good. Speaking as someone who has played not one but two musical instruments (not counting the recorder), I can certainly say that it takes time to master the instruments. Heck, I played for seven years and I'm still not great at either trombone or piano.

Other than that, the film's a fun, if inconsequential, ride. It's made me want to find a place where I can buy the DVD.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I was waiting for someone to post a review on that movie! How the HELL did you get your hands on a copy!?! I couldn't find it anywhere!!

TonyOctober 2.0
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by TonyOctober 2.0 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:57 pm

How about Vuk?! It's a good movie!

Full Screenshots: http://ptcucc.tripod.com/mozi/vuk/vuk2.htm
Infomation Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131636/

And yes it's dub in English it's called "The Little Fox" in Engilsh. You'll find some pictures cuts in the English movie. Find it at your local library or somewhere else.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:58 am

(T)Raumschiff Surprise: Periode 1 (Dreamship Surprise: Period 1)

I've been to several Supanovas. I've shook hands with John Rhys-Davies and chatted with David Prowse. I've also seen Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning and laughed at it. So, of course, I loved Dreamship Surprise, a camped-up German parody of Star Wars and Star Trek (with a bit of The Fifth Element worked in) that also serves as one of the country's answers to Wayne's World and Superstar--it's based on a skit from a show called Bullyparade, and stars that show's creator, Michael "Bully" Herbig.

The story is this: Mars has decided to wage war on Earth, and the only hope for the planet's survival is for a crew of fat campy incompetents (who want nothing more than cheesecake and to be Miss Wakiki) go back through time (accompanied by a princess--spoofing Amidala, not Leia--and a macho taxi driver) and prevent Earth from ever making contact with an alien race (with a Swiss Army Laser). Something screws up, and Käpt'n Kork (Christian Tramitz) and Mr Spuck (Herbig) and co end up going through an 80's fantasy movie and a Western. All the while, they are pursued by Jens Maul, who shows up in a suit of armour with a strangely familiar helmet. We also get an "I am your father" in there somewhere.

Fortunately, most of the jokes work. There are a few that don't, though, and this is largely due to the language barrier. As an example, there is one scene where Kork, Spuck and Mr Schrotty are set to beam down. The joke here is that instead of standing on three of six platforms, there are now only three long ones and the three jump around. While I find this funny in the spirit of the show (where the three have, up to that point, been shown doing little else other than jumping around like utter morons), it's actually a reference of a German kids' quiz show. Unfortunately, I live in Australia, not Austria, and aside from shows on SBS, we don't get much in the way of German TV. So such references are lost on me.

The bits of the show that do work are permeated with a seriously out-there bizarreness. It's kind of like Star Wars meets Star Trek by way of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. There are running gags involving Spuck's weight and sexuality (he is a Vulcanette who is seriously effeminate--at one point he designs a pink armour for a joust--and also is too fat to even fly in Zero-G). And the fannish in-jokes are kept to a minimum.

The only real drawback is that even at 87 minutes, this feels a little too long. But it's still well worth your time.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:33 am

Omgz... Kung Fu Hustle.

I just got that movie for my PSP for Christmas... Probably one of the funniest kung fu movies EVER. Especially the part where the land lady is chasing that one dude down the street at unexplanible speeds, hehehe.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:04 pm

Two foreign films I really like are-Shaolin Soccer and El Laberinto Del Fauno. I want to see Kung-Fu Hustle. A few others I liked were:

Together-Chinese film about a boy who plays the violin and his relationship with his father, the ending is a real tear jerker.

I also liked Fearless. I've only seen bits and pieces of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. But I really like a lot of Asian films, mainly for the awesome fight scenes.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:53 am

I absolutely love La Belle Et La Bette. It's a really old French version of Beauty and the Beast. (live action) It is pretty freaking awesome, and the meakeup for the beast is just way ahead of it's time. The only dissapointment is when beast goes back to boring handsome guy. Every time I've watched it (which is only at special screenings for theatre people) someone has stood up when that happens and yealls at the screen "Give me back my beast!"

Dr. Calligarie's Cabinet (German) and 120 Days of Sodom are also pretty sweet. I just have way to many to name.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:50 am

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:El Laberinto Del Fauno
For those who haven't yet done the research or seen the movie, the English title is Pan's Labyrinth. The titular character, however, is merely a faun.

And Pan's Labyrinth is an excellent movie.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot