Favorite sayings, quotes, or phrases.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:17 am

Acknowledging today:

"You would cry too if it happened to you!"
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Vagabond
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Vagabond » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:23 pm

I've thought up a few more.

"Hatred outlives the hateful." - Magic the Gathering card

"It is true that I have sent six bullets through the head of my best friend, and yet I hope to show by this statement that I am not his murderer." - H.P. Lovecraft "The Thing on the Doorstep."

My signature also happens to be a quote from the Vagabond manga.
If you just see the leaf, you'll miss the tree;
If you just see the tree, you'll miss the forest;
To see everything, effortlessly, that is what it means to truly see.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:56 pm

From Daily Show with John Stewart

"Deemed by the German Government, as 'unreliable' and 'alchoholic.' Now, when you are deemed by the GERMAN Government... These people invented Octoberfest! When they say you're alchoholic, mmm... you likey the boozy."

yes, I am a comedy nut. ^_^
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:18 pm

Babylon 5 quotes:

"Its like I always say, you get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than with just a kind word." - Marcus Cole

"I used to think it was a terrible thing that life was so unfair. Then I thought, 'what if life were fair, and all of the terrible things that happen to us came because we really deserved them?' Now I take great comfort in the general unfairness and hostility of the universe." - Marcus Cole

"Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recomendations. Ivanova is God. And, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!" - Susan Ivanova

"When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean, 'Oh, I think it's a little chilly in here, perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed.' No, I said it was COLD, as in, 'Oh, my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor'!" - Londo Mollari

"Prophecy is a guess that comes true. When it doesn't, it's a metaphor." - Vir Cotto

"Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet. You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Brother Alwyn
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Rivalee
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Rivalee » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:04 pm

Here's some of my favorites;

Latin:
  • *Nemo náscitur ártifex (No one was born master)
    *Versus amicur rara avis (a real friend is a rare bird)
    *Vívere est militáre (to live is to fight)
    *Dum spir, spero (as long as I breath, I hope)
    *Meménto te mortálem esse (remember, you're mortal)
Other:
  • *Many that live deserve death. Many that are dead deserve life. Can you give that to them? Then don't be so quick to hand out death in judgement
    *We are born as original, but we dies as copies
    *The one who have no fantasy, have no wings
    *We are born to live. We live to die. We die to live again
    *A crystal shines within your heart (I think this is from Final Fantasy)
    *Take these Broken Wings, and learn to fly again, learn to live so free (From Mr Mister's song Broken Wings)
    *It's 2005, pigs are flying, and hell has frozen over (I saw this on SMU a few months ago)
My youtube-account / My multiply-account

I dunno. I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box. And then when I put it on, I suddenly got this feeling of inner peace. I can´t put it into words. I feel... safe. Like this is where I was meant to be. Like I´d found the key to true happiness.
~Snake from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

I´m some kind of high powered mutant, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Bad luck! I´m are suffering from Rivalee´s Syndrome.
Cause: thinking too hard
Symptoms: aphasia, vague gills, mildly squeaky voice, eyelid swelling
Cure: cryogenic freezing until science catches up

DistantMemory
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DistantMemory » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:55 pm

~"You don't need a reason to help people." ~Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy IX

~"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." ~Anais Nin

~"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." ~Yogi Berra

~"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin

~"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." ~Carl Jung

~"It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing." ~Oriah Mountain Dreamer

~"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." ~Carl Jung
"I want to go back to believing in everything and knowing nothing at all..."
~Evanescence, "Field of Innocence"

"I love you."
"WHAT!?! What did you say!?"
"Um, uh, olive juice!"
"...Olive juice?"
"*in a whisper* Olive juice you too!"
~Stewie and Brian, Family Guy, "The Tan Aquatic with Steve Zissou"

Vagabond
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Vagabond » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:35 pm

~"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." ~Carl Jung
I really like that quote. Here are a few more of mine.

"At first they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out--because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the communists
and I did not speak out--because I was not a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out--because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics--
and I did not speak out--because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me--
but by that time there was no one left to speak out for me." -
Martin Niemöller, pastor and leader of the Underground Resistance in Nazi France.

"Everybody loves a hero. People line up for them, cheer them, scream their names. And, years later tell how they stood for hours in the cold rain just to catch a glimpse of the one who taught them to hold on a second longer. I believe there's a hero in all of us who keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams." - Aunt May from Spider-man 2

"The mind knows only what lies near the heart." - Old Viking Saying

This isn't really a quote but an interesting little story:
An American reporter was doing an article on the Zuni Indians who lived in the desert. After watching one of their ritual rain dances he asked,
"I've noticed that most of your songs are about rain. Why is that?"
A Zuni Indian replied,
"We sing about rain because it is so rare. Is that why your people sing about love?"
If you just see the leaf, you'll miss the tree;
If you just see the tree, you'll miss the forest;
To see everything, effortlessly, that is what it means to truly see.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:42 am

"The mediator between the brain and the hands must be the heart"
--Thea von Harbou, Metropolis

"Varför måste vi bo i fucking jävla-kuk Åmål?"
--Elin (Alexandra Dahlström), Fucking Åmål/Show Me Love

"Could you please take the helm? I need this man to rip all my clothes off."
"Work, work, work."
--Zoe (Gina Torres) and Wash (Alan Tudyk), Firefly

"Det var inte för starkt då? ... Äh, jag brukar alltid göra för stark... Jag brukar ha såhära, Jessica blir jättearg, jag har såhära två gram mjölk å femtusen kilo oboy, och då blir det såhära nästan svart, å då brukar jag såhär hälla i mera mjölk, men då räcker inte glaset till, så måste jag hälla över i ett annat glas, i ett större glas eller i ett till glas om det inte finns något stort glas... Det blir rätt mycket oboy då, men det gör ingenting."
--Elin, Fucking Åmål/Show Me Love

"Du sökte en blomma
och fann en frukt.
Du sökte en källa
och fann ett hav.
Du sökte en kvinna
och fann en själ-
du är besviken. "
--Edith Södergran, Dagen Svälnar i Kväll

Pi "no, I don't understand Swedish. Still made for a good movie though." ka
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:17 am

bug bump of bumpness just because :P

"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad."
--Lucas, The Wizard

oh, and whitewolf, the TMNT quote is:

"Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for a late pizza."
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:35 pm

"A nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse"--Rolf, Ed, Edd, n' Eddy...probably one of the only quotes of his that actually make sense...

"Shine on you crazy diamond"-- From Pink Floyd's "Shine On"

"Kids like Maltov Cocktails"--Roger Waters (from Pink Floyd)

"MY FRIEND, IT SEEMS SHOUTING IS THE BEST WAY TO HAVE INNER DIALOGUES!"--T-rex, from Daily Dino Comics

and the one in my sig. are a few of my faves.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:38 am

Found one I've been looking for:

"If there's one person who shouldn't have trouble justifying his existence, it is someone whose business it is to purvey books. Books, gentlemen, hold within them the gathered wisdom of humanity, the collected knowledge of the world's thinkers, the amusement and excitement built up by the imaginations of brilliant people. Books contain humor, beauty, wit, emotion, thought, and, indeed, all of life. Life without books is empty." -Isaac Asimov
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Sute
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sute » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:22 am

"Never try, because there's always someone better than you." - Homer Simpson

"Sadness is only because of love." - Flonne, Disgaea Hour of Darkness (for PS2)

heartlessarchangel
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by heartlessarchangel » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:07 am

"Walking across the thin ice of my dreams, Fearing the cold waters of reality beneath me. Yet onward I tred." - Author Unknown

"Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't and the other half who have nothing to say keep saying it." - Robert Frost

"Life is just a dream on the way to death." - The Crow: City of Angels

"People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within." - Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

"The reality of the other person lies not in what he reveals to you but in what he cannot reveal to you. Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says but rather to what he does not say." - Kahlil Gibran "Sand and Foam"

"I've learned- that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do, is stalk them and hope they panic and give in." - Author Unknown

"I think I am in Hell, therefore I am there." - The Poet Jean-Nicholas Arthur Rimbaud

"The game of life is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well." - H. T. Leslie

"It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone and a day to love someone, but it takes a lifetime to forget someone." - Author Unknown

"The hardest thing in life is watching the one you love, love someone else. " - Author Unknown

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." - Edgar Allan Poe

"Sometimes I lay awake at night staring at the sky wondering where the hell is my ceiling?" - Author Unknown

How come food is so expensive, why they just give it away for free? I don’t see why you’ve got to pay like three dollars for a bagel, and like that star-shmucks coffee that’s like 5 dollars a cup. That’s madness! Who the fuck is going to pay five dollars for a cup of coffee?! What are you on drugs? Crack? Maybe it’s crack… I don’t know. -Foamy- Neurotically Yours: Episode # 006: Squirrel Talk
Last edited by heartlessarchangel on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:38 am

I like the quotes in my sig, of course. The first one is from Doom 3. Dr. Ishii is the person you have to find in the beginning.

You don't have to live up to an idealistic vision of beauty marketed by fashion magazines and negatively reinforced be a society dumb enough to believe that beauty can only be found on the cover of a magazine. -Foamy, Fat-kin's Diet
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:24 pm

"This movie will be shot in an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 using a camera. Fuck!"
--John (Bruce Kimmel) trying to talk dirty and appear to know what he's talking about in The First Nudie Musical
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:34 am

"You know what they say, practice makes mediocre."
~ DDR Ultramix 2
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:17 pm

"Stop hitting on me... LITERALLY!" That's what my friend said at Animethon when someone was playfully slapping her XD

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:36 pm

It's called Japanimation. At least it was back when I last checked. Which was back in 1987. -Strong Bad from TogdorCon '97
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

writergirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by writergirl » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:12 pm

From the RPG i write in:

Makayla: ::Laughs:: And then some. Our little clubbing adventure will look like childs play.
Garret: OH you mean the one where you, your sister and Alys, and Alexis were all trashed two days later?
Makayla: ::Nods quickly grinning:: Yup

Caleb: ::Looks around the living room and sighs, then notices that Natalie and Liz haven't arrived yet:: I just asked them not to be late... All I had to do was close the shop... that was it...
Garret: Women are always late Caleb, it's like... programmed into the genetically or something.

Cody: ::Grins:: Yeah I know. I Love it here... ::Thnks for a moment:: Why did I leave? Oh yeah, to chase Cass down to Rachel.

Makayla: ::Still laughing:: You're a wuss.
Cody: NO I just fear angry dads

Caleb: ::Comes down stairs still looking rather disheveled, a goofy grin on his face:: Mom, we always get here early. Why do you think this year woudl be any different.
Jessica: ::Laughs, and gestures to his appearance:: That's why.
Caleb: ::Grins:: Yeah...
Cody: YOu're a moron

Makayla: She'll catch on just from that Cody. She's pregnant, not stupid.

(and that's just in the first few pages.... lol)

And a few from my RL

Steph : And the day the words flimsy excuse were redefined, we sat in awe and watched
"If you don't like the truth, you don't like life.... kill yourself."-- Joe
(The one in my sig about Steph's DR's appt)
"All I've eaten in the past week are hot dogs, spaghetti and ramen noodles"
"Damn, you're turning into an aisian person eating nothing but dogs and noodles"

Joe and Bill (the quote isn't direct... can't remember exactly how they said it but it was funny)

From Movies:

Practical magic:
Young Gillian: (Turning from the shelf to face Sally) Thought you never wanted to fall in love.
Young Sally: (Pensively) That's the point. The guy I dreamed of doesn't exist. And if he doesn't exist, I'll never die of a broken heart.

Gillian (VO) Dear Sal: I'm lying in the sun. I'm hanging by the pool. I've got a million friends. You might say that life is perfect. But I don't care about any of it. In fact, I only have two words to say to you: Jimmy Angelov. Jimmy Angelov.

Kylie: Mom, I'm worried about Antonia. Do you know she puts on her mouse ears, she drives around town all liquored up? Naked!

Sally: We were going to open up a botanical shop, where Mike would get all the ingredients and I would make the stuff. He really loved my, uh, mint-oatmeal shaving cream. He couldn't stop eating it.

Sally: Fine. But I do not want them dancing naked under the full moon.
Aunt Jet : No, of course not, dear. The nudity is entirely optional, as you well remember!

Gillian: Then today he says he wants a jelly doughnut, right? And he says to the kid, "Jelly doughnut, with cream." And the kid, the kid looked confused. And I said, "Jimmy, jelly's not a cream." And then the kid laughed, and then I laughed - and then he punched me. He punched me real hard, the bastard.

Gillian: Okay, Jimmy, I will get you out of this but when I do, we are definitely breaking up. It is over. (With an angry grunt she slaps him on the cheek. Sally has entered the room behind her, holding the Book of Shadows.)
Sally: What are you doing?
Gillian: Nothing.

Mother (Nan [?] ): You know, she screwed Coach Havacre. (Gillian whips her gaze forward to stare at the back of the mothers head. On the desk in front of the mom is a ringbinder, the rings themselves standing open. They promptly snap shut of their accord, catching the mom’s thumb.) Ow! (Shoves her pinched finger into her mouth)
Sally: (in a low voice, to Gillian) Don’t do that!
Gillian: (Looks almost insulted) It wasn’t me.
Sally: Well, I certainly didn’t ...
Gillian: It was you. (The two sisters giggle together)
Front mother: Finally - oh, I’m so pleased to report this! - the top of the phone-tree list is ... (Starts flipping through pages of little tree diagrams in her ringbinder. At the top of every list is Sally's name.) One moment. It’s, um ... (pauses, then gives in) It’s Sally Owens. (Noises of confusion from the surrounding moms. Gillian claps loudly.)
Gillian: Woo! Go, Sal! (in a lower voice, to Sally) Now, that was me.

Sally: (Annoyed) You read my letter.
Gary: Yes, ma’am, I did.
Sally: It was a very personal letter.
Gary: Yes, ma'am, it was.

Star Wars Eppi 3
"This is how Liberty ends, with thunderous appluase" Natalie Portman as Padme' Amidala in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

I think I should stop there...... yeeeahhh....
Plug for my message board Im awful. ::Hangs head in shame::

Left here alone, and unsure of what I feel. Unclear, but I see, Just what I'm afraid of.
I can't find my way anymore. And I cannot heal the wounds I've created. I can't let let go of whats killing me
Falling from this edge, I am lost to all I know
I can't breathe anymore Somehow I'm locked inside this cage And I've tried, but I cant Fight to stay alive
Falling from this edge, I am lost to all I know Time is only Fantasy And lies, the only reverie.
I've tried But I can't fight anymore.
I've Fallen from this edge, I am lost to all I know Time is only Fantasy And lies, the only reverie.
~ Megan McCauley's "Reverie"

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:44 am

Firefly:

(Jayne is talking about what he would do to Badger)
Mal: Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might want to look into that.
(a quote so good it was used to rebuff a troll in a thread about Serenity.)

Zoe: Sir, I think we have a problem with your brain being missing.

Inara: Captain, what did I tell you about barging into my shuttle?
Mal: That it was manly and impulsive?
Inara: Yes, although the word I used was "Don't".

*insert whole Special Hell scene here*

(Jayne has just made sexist remarks about Kaylee)
Simon: What do you pay [Jayne] for?
Mal: Huh?
Simon: What is he here for?
Mal: Public relations.

(Mal is trying to convince Patience to pay him for the supplies he's been forced to drop on Whitehaven)
Mal: Now I know certain words were exchanged...and certain...bullets...

Serenity:

River: Bullet in the brain pan. Squish!

Operative: Are you willing to die for it?
Mal: I am.
(they draw and fire. Mal fires twice more)
Mal: Course, that ain't exactly plan A.

Wash: Landing is gonna get pretty interesting
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: Oh god, oh god, we're all gonna die?
(Mal picks up the PA system mic)
Mal: This is the captain. We're having some engine trouble. We may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot