Favorite sayings, quotes, or phrases.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

whitewolf05
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Favorite sayings, quotes, or phrases.

Post by whitewolf05 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:41 pm

(I have no idea if there is or was something like this so I thought I would give it a try.)
I have a great many favorite phrases like "kicking ass and taking names" and "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum but I'm all out of bubble gum." I have others but that is a page itself. :lol:
"Welcome Oblivion" Ansume Kingdom Hearts

Rindesayu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Rindesayu » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:52 pm

"Arguing over the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded."

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:32 pm

"You're a towel!"

BEST. COMEBACK. EVER.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:35 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:"You're a towel!"

BEST. COMEBACK. EVER.
o_0 If someone ever used that as a comeback, I'd have to laugh them out of the argument.

I have lots of favourite quotes, but they usually end up in my sig, so I'm not going to bother listing them all, and instead I'll just stick with my favourites.

"Acting is the most minor of gifts and not a very high-class way to earn a living. After all, Shirley Temple could do it at the age of four."--Katherine Hepburn

"Mamma, I'm pretty. I'm a pretty girl, Mama."--From the play Gypsy. I cried the first time I saw it and heard this line, and I still tear up when I hear it now.

"“I wonder if I’ve been changed in the night? Let me think: was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I’m not the same, the next question is ‘Who in the world am I?’"--Alice, from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:56 pm

"Above all...to thine own self be true"
- Polonius (sp?), Hamlet

"I AM a princess..all girls are...even if they live in tiny old attics..even if they dress in rags! Even if they aren't pretty, or rich, or smart. We're still princesses...ALL of us. Didn't your father ever tell you that? DIDN'T HE?"
- Sara, A Little Princess (the movie)

"What lies behind us and what lies in front of us pales in significance when compared to what lies within us"
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I am a butterfly trapped in a caccoon
Yearning to have my wings touch the sky...."
--Julie Melf

"You may only be one person in the world
But you may also be the world to one person"
- Unknown

And my very, very favorite:
"Remember...people will forget what you
said. People will forget what you did...
but people will never forget how you made them feel"
-Unknown

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:23 pm

My favorites:

"Some have said the world will end in fire, others say in ice. But from what I've tasted of desire, I hold with those who favour fire". -Robert Frost (personally, I believe it will be lightning).

"Nothing has the power to see our future, no one can see what will happen to us. The only thing that can predict our future is our past and present actions".

And my personal favorite: "Everyone wants money, that's never going to change. We all live on greed. Greed's better than love. Love doesn't last, love isn't real, at least greed's constant."
(The 'Love doesn't last part' I don't believe, but the rest is sadly true).
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:27 pm

peachvampiress wrote:My favorites:

"Some have said the world will end in fire, others say in ice. But from what I've tasted of desire, I hold with those who favour fire". -Robert Frost (personally, I believe it will be lightning).
Oh, I LOVE that one. I have that on my sailor mars page on TPM XD

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

NekoSun518
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by NekoSun518 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:33 pm

My favorite quotes are

"The heart may freeze or it can burn The pain will ease if I can learn There is no future There is no past I live this moment as my last There's only us There's only this Forget regret Or life is yours to miss No other road No other way No day but today"

-Mimi, RENT

"The Circle of Life: first, you get born and you get a really bad name everyone likes but you. then you learn to talk back. then you learn to kick. then you go to school. then you start smoking and taking illegal drugs. then you have sex; you start stealing; shop-lifting; stealing cars; get put in jail; get let out of jail; lead a boring life and die on an overdose of drugs; then you get reincarnated and start the whole process again." --Casey Brophy

"I don't believe in a word you say, but I will fight to the death your right to say it!" --Voltaire

Those are my faves. :D

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:59 pm

Tiff
0___o Actually, now that you mention it, I think that's where I first saw it. Some of your quotes are on your page too aren't they? ~_^

Being the literature loving person I am, I'm suprised I didn't quote from my favorite book, the Phantom of the Opera 0_o; Well, here it is, my favorite part.

"I heard her say, 'Poor, unhappy Erik!' And she took my hand! I held in my hand a ring, a plain gold ring which I had given her, which she had lost and which I had found again, a wedding-ring. I slipped it into her little hand and said, 'There! Take it! Take it for you...and him! It shall be my wedding-present, a present from your poor, unhappy Erik. I know you love the boy, don't cry any more!She asked me, in a very soft voice, what I meant. Then I made her understand that, where she was concerned, I was only a poor dog, ready to die for her, but that she could marry the young man when she pleased, because she had cried with me and mingled her tears with mine! They kissed before me in the Louis-Philippe room. Christine had my ring. I made Christine swear to come back, one night, when I was dead, crossing the lake from the Rue-Scribe side, and bury me in the greatest secrecy with the gold ring, which she was to wear until that moment. Then Christine kissed me, for the first time, herself, here, on the forehead--don't look, daroga! Here, on the forehead...on my forehead, mine! And they went off together. Christine had stopped crying. I alone cried. Daroga, if Christine keeps her promise, she will come back soon!"

(Edited for length) T_T I cried when I read that. I have the biggest soft spot for those in unrequited romances.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:11 pm

peachvampiress wrote:Tiff
0___o Actually, now that you mention it, I think that's where I first saw it. Some of your quotes are on your page too aren't they? ~_^
Yes'm! XD

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:42 pm

One of my favorite quotes comes from the Dirty Harry movie "Sudden Impact". "Go ahead. Make my day."

Another is from "Transformers: The Movie". "One shall stand... one shall fall."
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:42 pm

Some of my favorite quotes from Hanson are in my signiture, so I'm not going to retype those ones. These the meaning of these quotes are self explanitory. I especially like the lyrics from Hanson's song called A Song to Sing, because they help me to continue on when I'm stuck in a bad situation. The lyrics that I have typed up there is basically saying that you should never give up, no matter what. I find it inspirational, because Hanson themselves aren't that popular in the music industry anymore, and they have faced so much criticism. Yet, they still continue to make music, live their dream. They want to live their dream, and they're going to continue living their dream, and not let other people's opinions stop them from doing that. When they first started sending demos to record companies, they were rejected by over 12 record companies before getting signed by Mercury Records. I always keep that in mind when I've dealing with bad situations, to help stay optomistic. I could go on and on about how much those lyrics helped me, but I just wanted to say that they just help me to continue on. I'm not good at explaining things very well ^_^

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:41 am

Various Max Payne quotes:

"I was so far past the point of no return, I forgot what it looked like as I passed it."

"He was trying to buy more sand for his hour glass. I wasn't selling any."

"Collecting evidence had gotten old a few hundred bullets back."

"There are no choices. Nothing but a straight line. The illusion comes afterwards, when you ask 'Why me?' and 'What if?'. When you look back and see the branches, like a pruned bonsai tree, or forked lightning. If you had done something differently, it wouldn't be you, it would be someone else looking back, asking a different set of questions."

"The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. As you piece it together, your image keeps shifting. And you change with it. It could destroy you, drive you mad. It could set you free."

"One last thing left to do... I was compelled to give Vlad his gun back... one bullet at a time."

"When entertainment turns into a surreal reflection of your life, you're a lucky man if you can laugh at the joke. Luck and I weren't on speaking terms."
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:57 pm

"All we are saying is give peace a chance!"- John Lennon and Yoko Ono

I think that's a good quote that people these days need to live by. *cough*I'm speaking about Bush *cough* The war in Iraq didn't need to happen, many US soldiers died needlessly. Just let it go already, and give peace a chance!

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:22 pm

If I go down, I'm taking everyone with me, and I'll go out in a BLAZE OF GLORY! -- Shawn Michaels (This is what I say all the time, after I get chewed out by my superiors)

To be the man, you gotta beat The Man! -- Ric Flair

I'm the King of the World, and you just live in it, junior! -- Chris Jericho

And that's all, for now...
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:20 pm

"You don't know the power of The Dark Side."
"If you only knew the power of the Dark Side."
"S-s-s-s-s-s-smokin'!!!!!!"
"P-A-R-T, Why? Because I gotta!!!"
"Let the games begin!"
"You can take your toy rocket and go home. Me? I'm gonna stick around and feed guy all 31 different flavors of pain."
"Dead Man Walking!"
"What's your prediction for the outcome of this bout?" "My prediction? PAIN."
"Wait'll they get a load of me."
"Even with all this accumulated knowledge when will these dummies learn to use the doorknob?"
"Never thought this thing would go the distance."

See a trend here? :wink:
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:29 pm

"Why make difficulties when all is one?"--- Joan of Arc (I don't fully understand this, I just happen to like it)

"My life came in two pieces of time. There was the time before I heard the voice, and then there was the time after."---Young Joan by Barbara Dana

Remember that not everything is as it seems: the inside is not the same as the outside, endings often hold beginnings and most mirrors are mere errors." --- S.H. Elilves from Jennifer Murdley's Toad by Bruce Coville

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:00 pm

I have so many; they're hard to list. But here's one that's particularly apropos for here:

"Every opportunity, therefore, should be taken to discountenance that false and vulgar opinion, that rules are the fetters of genius. They are fetters only to men of no genius; as that armour, which upon the strong is an ornament and a defense, upon the weak and mis-shapen becomes a load, and cripples the body which it was made to protect. How much liberty may be taken to break through those rules, and, as the Poet expresses it, "To snatch a grace beyond the reach of art," may be a subsequent consideration, when the pupils become masters themselves. It is then, when their genius has received its utmost improvement, that rules may possibly be dispensed with. But let us not destroy that scaffold, until we have raised the building." -Sir Joshua Reynolds
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Artemis
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:01 pm

"You may be only one person in the world, but you may mean the world to one person."

:cry: I love this.
Even more than the spacious sky and the sea
My dreams have no limits
I have realized that because I am in love
~Tomizawa Michie, Eien no Melody

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:54 pm

Artemis wrote:"You may be only one person in the world, but you may mean the world to one person."

:cry: I love this.
Yes, I'm quite fond of that one myself. *points to her own post* =D

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama