Suikoden

Video games and anime sometimes tie in with each other, plus video games kick ass. =P Discuss them here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Suikoden

Post by Jamesares » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:57 am

For those of you unfamiliar with this series, Suikoden is a series of 5 games that take place in the same world, but in different places and times. The game focus on a silent protagonist (except for 3 where you control three character), who for varies reason find himself exiled from his homeland (again three is an exception to this), who then forced to raise an army to battle his enemy. As the story progress the main character must search out a recruit the 108 Stars of Destiny, who far various reasons be it for money, fame, or personnel reason, to join his army. As the story unfold you find that the event surrounding your character are far more complicated then they original appear.

Now my question is what games have you played, what is your feeling toward the series in general, and finally of all the games which Major Battle System do you like best.

I have played and beaten all 5 games (yes I did manage to get a copy of 1 and 2)

As my general feeling is I really enjoy playing these games, and I love the whole 108 Stars of Destiny system because It adds a extra element to the game that sets it apart from other RPG, and I also like having the option to pick from a large number of playable character which improves it replayablity.

As for the Major Battle Systems

Major: I like 4's the whole ship combat system I think was very novel, and I found it the easiest to understand
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

rockable
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by rockable » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 pm

I've only played part 1 and 2, but I really liked them. The game play is fun (LOVE al the different things in the castle in part 2) and the plots are interesting. I like how there's somewhat realistic human evil, no one is trying to destroy the world for no reason and your enemies aren't really bad guys, they just happen to take the other side. And there are a lot of great (and cute) characters like Victor, Flik and Gremio. :D

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:01 pm

rockable wrote: And there are a lot of great (and cute) characters like Victor, Flik and Gremio. :D
Don't forget Viki :D
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:32 pm

I adored the first one. I think I've beat it 6 or seven times. The second one is ok. I didn't like 3 and I don't *think* we have 4 and 5. Unless Suikoden Tactics counts as one of them.

The first one was just amazing in my opinion. That was the one I got the most enjoyment out of. I always get 108 stars for the special outcome and at one point I knew the location of every one by heart. It's been so long that I'm not sure if I can do it again, though. I loved putting certain people into my group just to see what possible combo attacks I could get. and seeing what two rune spells i can do to combo magic. Good times.

You don't run across RPGs with solid plots and fighting/magic systems like that anymore. I really need to take the time and play it again. I'm making myself miss it.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel