Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Video games and anime sometimes tie in with each other, plus video games kick ass. =P Discuss them here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:29 am

It's officially out in the US finally, so let us all talk about Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Post up your friend codes in that thread and talk about everything else with the game here.

My buddy and I got through a decent chunk of the new adventure mode which is pretty nifty. You can unlock every character through this mode, but there are plenty of other methods to unlock characters besides that. Between the one night we played through it, and the past couple nights of me doing various other things, I've unlocked [spoiler]Ness, Marth, Falco, Luigi, Capitan Falcon, and Solid Snake.[/spoiler] (Dunno if anyone considers the unlocks here as spoilers or not, so using the tag for now unless its deemed unneeded) Working for Sonic right now and am close to getting him, but losing an hour to daylight savings threw a wrench in my plans, so I will have to get him after work. I will post more thoughts then, but this is a pretty solid game so far.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:16 am

Been playing fairly religously since I woke up today, so... I'm content. My only issues though, so far...

You can't change the voices from English to Japanese, so that's dis appointing... and it looks like you can't Wavedash or L-cancel either. So... I'm annoyed. Aside from that... Brawl is awesome. I'll find out more about the advanced techniques later. So... *currently at the point wehre Link, Yoshi, Mario, Pit, and Kriby meet up*
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:42 am

Unlocking everybody the easy way and in under an hour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQFapsCZd-8
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Skull13
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

I've got my copy!

Post by Skull13 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:14 am

Two days into the game, and I've already unlocked everyone! Instantly fell in love with it!
Split Personality
Bring Hope To Humanity!!!

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:09 am

I do have some gripes about the online features. With services like Xbox Live available for years now, the friend code system way of Nintendo is a real shitty way of doing things. But I'd rather rant about the smash service as that's the real new aspect with Brawl. The smash service where it sends shit to you every time you connect is pretty nifty. My gripe with it is that I can't save things I like to either my console or an SD card. I liked one of the stages and the replay videos actually haven't been that bad from what I've seen, and I'd really like to keep some of these, so it's kind of disappointing. Also kind of odd is that the game data can't be backed up on an SD card like with other games. I eventually accepted that most game saves for the system can only be backed up on the cards and not transferred to other systems (as fucking annoying as that is, I can understand doing that for VC games but for Wii games saves what the fuck? >.< ), but to not even have a backup option is just all kinds of shitty. Adding to my frustration of this is that one of my co-workers and I split the cost of a used SD card to keep in the system for the sole purpose of keeping a backup of that file. Technically we are supposed to erase game data everyday, obviously we don't, but when the Nintendo rep comes in she's supposed to do it. We get along good with her so she doesn't mind keeping saves on there, but in case she gets checked up by a supervisor she still does so she doesn't get in trouble which is understandable. I figured an SD card would be a good way around this (and really wish I had thought of that when we first got Galaxy in, 52 star file before the game came out was down the drain), but I guess not.

Brawl is a great game, but with tight limitations on advertised features, as well as some technicalities, it's a real big letdown with all the potential of really expanding and taking advantage of what can really be done. Maybe in another six plus years we'll see Nintendo take advantage of what's already available and maybe even push the envelope. They've been hitting the nail on the head for innovations the past couple of years which has been great, but they really need to catch up with many things people consider standard nowadays. It's almost like they haven't paid attention as to why they've been the underdog in the console market for the past decade.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:46 am

Ive been waiting for a game that made one of the new systems worth buying and up till now its just been one dissapointment after another.

I think Brawl might actually make the Wii worth getting though. I just need to get money first.

I played the game for about an hour and it was awesome :).

I love the mario bros. stage. I never would have guessed they would make that.

My only dissapointment is that some of the characters from melee weren't included. With the capabilities of the Wii theres no excuse for that, but still it's not enough to ruin the game.

Mr. Game and Watch is still in the game which rocks :). I hear you can also make your own stages which sounds cool.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:29 am

I know how you feel Dan. It's a pain working with the SD card to move data around... espically because there's no way I know of to save game data to the SD Card directly... trying to copy everything over there is a royal pain.

As for why characters were removed:

The main reason is to free up room for more people. I'm sure the developers want to avoid the fate that has befallen series like Tekken, Dead or Alive, and Soul Calibur with so many characters it isn't even funny. That's why characters were removed, adn some of them I can see why. Mewtwo and Pichu were plain horrible characters in their movesets, and competitive potential. Roy was removed because teh only reason he was in Melee was to advertise Fire EMblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi... and that's proved even more by the fact when SSBM was released, FE: FnT wasn't even OUT yet. Dr. Mario was a bit of a filler character, and while I am disappointed he is out, that's not teh worst that could have occurred. I think those are the only 4 that were removed from the series...

The thing that makes me die the most is how much they nerfed Ganondorf. After TP, they SHOULD have had him use his sword. Instead, they kept him as a clone of C. Falcon, and even made him SLOWER. Why?! for pete's sake, there's no point to that...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:55 pm

Brawl is a great game. I still haven't unlocked everything yet because I keep getting distracted by other things.

I was so happy to see Lucas, as well as New Pork City from Mother 3 make an appearance. There were also a lot of Earthbound/Mother series stuff that appeared as items, trophies and stickers. It made me happy.

[spoiler]What I found to be a huge letdown was the fact that they removed the Earthbound demo. I was a bit upset about that and there was really no excuse not to include Earthbound. I can understand that Fire Emblem got removed as a playable demo because it hasn't been translated into English. But with Earthbound, it's already translated and all they needed to do was dump it into the game.[/spoiler]

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:30 am

I got brawl the other day and I think its a lot of fun.

My gathering of subspace emmisary trophies is going quite well, I have all but one of the bosses. I cant figure out how to get Ridley's trophy without it falling into the hole.

I also had an annoying conversation on another forum I go to. a videogame forum.

I mentioned how I thought Peach was the prettiest female character in brawl, which I really do believe. I've always had a thing for the cute princess. Apparently that makes me gay since Zero Suit Samus is "Obviously Hotter." I'm like "Ok so Im gay because I think one girl is prettier then another girl. Yeah that makes perfect sense."

*Sigh* I dont get gamer forums. I really dont.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Skull13
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Trading Friend Codes. Why not?

Post by Skull13 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:04 pm

I think that at this point, it might be a good idea to exchange friend codes, don't you agree?

Mine is in my signature.

Name: Skl13

I look forward to being treated with worthy adversaries and having fun with everyone.
Split Personality
Bring Hope To Humanity!!!

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Re: Trading Friend Codes. Why not?

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:14 am

Skull13 wrote:I think that at this point, it might be a good idea to exchange friend codes, don't you agree?

Mine is in my signature.

Name: Skl13

I look forward to being treated with worthy adversaries and having fun with everyone.
I do agree, but at the moment I cant since I lack the ability to connect it yet. (using dial up internet really sucks)

I will remember to check this thread when I do get the connect ability and I'll look you up.