Super Mario Galaxy

Video games and anime sometimes tie in with each other, plus video games kick ass. =P Discuss them here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Super Mario Galaxy

Post by MarioKnight » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:40 pm

So Super Mario Galaxy arrived at my store today for the interactive unit, meaning I popped the sucker right in the Wii and played for nearly an hour. I must say it is pretty sweet. It does take a bit of adjusting to get used to the control of Mario on the circular planets, but it doesn't take that long to do. It's quite fun to play and I got three power stars thus far. I'm hoping that weekdays continue to be dead for the next week or so before the xmas rush so I can get nice and deep into it before I can finally take it home. XD;;
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Alexclow345
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Alexclow345 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:39 pm

What's the diffuculty like?

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:27 pm

Goddd, the money drain never ends. But I have to get this next weekend. Would you believe I still only have two games for my Wii (and I got it at launch)?

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:29 pm

Jeff wrote:Goddd, the money drain never ends. But I have to get this next weekend. Would you believe I still only have two games for my Wii (and I got it at launch)?
*smirks* I'm the exact same, at this moment.

Picking up Fire Emblem: Goddess of the Dawn tomorrow. I will be unable to think outside of that for about a week. XD
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:11 am

Jeff wrote:Goddd, the money drain never ends. But I have to get this next weekend. Would you believe I still only have two games for my Wii (and I got it at launch)?
XD I'm the same, if you count Wii Sports as a game...

>_>;;
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Skull13
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

COOL!

Post by Skull13 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:48 am

One of three games I'm eying on right now, since I've finished collecting all the WarioWare games. The other two are Super Smash Bros. Brawl & Mario & Sonic In The Olympic Games.
Split Personality
Bring Hope To Humanity!!!

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:40 pm

Alexclow345 wrote:What's the diffuculty like?
It can take some time to get used to the control on the planets, but it doesn't take too long. Overall I'd give it a moderate difficulty rating, some things are easy as pie, but there are some good challenges and frustrations along the way.

Like SM64, Galaxy has a total of 120 stars, however you only need to have 60 to be able to go to the final stage and boss. We have a community file going on in the store and it's up to 43 stars now. It looks like we'll make our goal of completing the game before it's released. XD
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:27 pm

No more love for this game yet? :wink:

I picked it up today (released today in PAL-land). I have only played about 4 hours and have only collected about 25-30 stars but so far it's one of the best games I have played.
It's so much better than Super Mario 64 and beats the crap out of Super Mario Sunshine. The game is so fresh and fun and it doesn't get repetitive which the two previous 2 did. The environment is so gorgeous and well designed that all you can do is applaud Nintendo for still having this kind of talent after 20 years.
I never want this game to end.
The best level so far is Sweet Sweet Galaxy, so much fun with such great music. Too bad it was so short. :(

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:28 pm

Actually you're wrong. =P

In all seriousness, anytime I've had more than an hour of free time for the most part, I've been playing it or something else. I had a lot of fun with this game on the community file in my store, but it's really nice going through and getting those stars that I didn't get over there. And glow in the dark poster with the LE guide for the fucking win. I just wish I had a good place to put that and the standee for it (my store has no room for them so I've got a whole bunch), parents' basement for the lose. >_<
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:26 am

That's a great review, Dan. ^_^

Super Mario Galaxy has fucking taken over the number 1 spot on Gamerankings. It's now the best game ever, it beat Ocarina of Time which is my favorite game ever. If it doesn't get any bad reviews, it will hold that spot.
Great. ~_^

I don't even know if they've released a guide for the game here yet. It's so damn hard being a Nintendo collector here in Sweden since so few things get released here. The Collectors guide of Twilight didn't even get released here I think. Only the cheaper, uglier version. I guess I'll have to import. ^^

Sorry if I'm noobish but do you actually own a gaming store? :O
What's the name of it?
My dream is to open a gaming store but I don't think I will ever be able to do it. :(

By the way, do you know if it's true if the voice of Peach is Nicole Mills? It sounds an awful lot like Leslie Swan who did her voice in Super Mario 64/DS who I liked her a lot better than Jen Taylor in all the other Mario games up to 2005.
I'm kind of torn on the voice acting issue in Mario games. It sounds a bit stupid when Peach says something in actual English, Mario goes "Oh yeah" and Bowser says something you can't understand (kind of like Midna in Zelda). -_- Sunshine didn't exactly have the bets voice acting but at least it was a step in the right direction, Jen Taylor did Peach in a way too high pitch and Bowser/Mini Bowsers actors were awful but it was still kind of cool. ^_^
I would like them to find good actors to Bowser and just remove Mini Bowser from Mario games in general, bring back the Koopalings.

:D

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:17 pm

Jen and I purchased this game on Friday, where a Black Friday discount helped us pick it up for $15 off.

I would have gladly payed the full $50 for it.

So far, we've only gotten through the first two domes, but holy hell, what a game. From the beautiful, shimmering graphics to the intuitive controls to the more-than-spectacular sound, this game blows everything I've played on the Wii away. It really is one of the greatest Mario games since the franchise launched, and despite my limited experience with the system, the best Wii game out there right now.

I want to emphasize the "we" part of that first sentence. I think one of the greatest aspects of this game is the co-op mode; Jen has been really helpful with helping me get some Star Bits and stunning some enemies so I can destroy them, and even though it does make gameplay a bit easier, it's nevertheless a great bonding experience, and I really recommend the co-op for when a younger sibling or cousin wants to help you play, or to get your reluctant older relatives into the fun of the Wii.

If there are any gripes to be had, it's that motion during inverted or wall motion may be a bit tricky, but I've always had problems navigating under these conditions; do I use inverted controls or is up still "up"? Once you get past that, however, the game controls really well. It's beautiful and cute, and orchestrated superbly. Pick it up if you have a Wii or if you love Mario; hell, even if you hate the plumber, give it a shot, and you may find your opinions changed a bit :D
_Alexander_ wrote:By the way, do you know if it's true if the voice of Peach is Nicole Mills? It sounds an awful lot like Leslie Swan who did her voice in Super Mario 64/DS who I liked her a lot better than Jen Taylor in all the other Mario games up to 2005.
I'm kind of torn on the voice acting issue in Mario games. It sounds a bit stupid when Peach says something in actual English, Mario goes "Oh yeah" and Bowser says something you can't understand (kind of like Midna in Zelda). -_- Sunshine didn't exactly have the bets voice acting but at least it was a step in the right direction, Jen Taylor did Peach in a way too high pitch and Bowser/Mini Bowsers actors were awful but it was still kind of cool. ^_^
I would like them to find good actors to Bowser and just remove Mini Bowser from Mario games in general, bring back the Koopalings.

:D
I think Peach's new VA is a totally new voice, since she sounds nothing like the one who played her in the Paper Mario series or in SPP. It's alright, but a bit too high-pitched for my taste.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

_Alexander_
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by _Alexander_ » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:04 pm

I am currently on my second playthrough with [spoiler]Luigi[/spoiler] and have gotten 92 stars since yesterday. That is how much fun this game is.
Everything is so detailed, I love how the music in the Comet Observatory starts with a very simple tune and then when you collect more stars more instruments starts to play like a whole arrangment.
My only complain is that the camera sometimes is a bit weird, I liked Super Mario Sunhine's camera better which you could control with the c-stick.
My favorite game is still The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I think. They are extremely close to one another and they're both perfect in each of their genre.
Starscream wrote:
_Alexander_ wrote:By the way, do you know if it's true if the voice of Peach is Nicole Mills? It sounds an awful lot like Leslie Swan who did her voice in Super Mario 64/DS who I liked her a lot better than Jen Taylor in all the other Mario games up to 2005.
I think Peach's new VA is a totally new voice, since she sounds nothing like the one who played her in the Paper Mario series or in SPP. It's alright, but a bit too high-pitched for my taste.
Yeah, I noticed that while watching the credits.
Her voice was similar to Leslie Swan's in the opening letter but not in her screams I guess. Leslie had a darker, moire mature and more pleasant voice.
I don't know who plays Peach in Galaxy though, here are the credits:
Charles Martinet - Mario, Luigi
Mercedes Rose - Rosalina (I found her voice similar to Leslie Swan's as well.)
Kenneth W. James - Bowser (I guess since it's the only male name except Charles)
Samantha Kelly - ?
Catey Sagolan (?) - ?

I tried to search for their names but nothing, only a character on Bold & Beautiful named Samantha Kelly. :roll:

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Dave is right, co-op is fucking win. With the exception of Thanksgiving dinner here with my family, I spent all day Thursday at my buddy's new place with my Wii over there playing SMG. It adds so much to the game and makes way for a much better playing experience. It's nice that anyone can pick up or put down the second Wii-mote at any time, and do as little or as much as they want. Later on in the game, it's a big help. Honestly, I don't know how many lives or hours I would've spent up playing that final Bowser stage myself. Granted I spent a bunch of lives and at least half an hour or so with my friend, but it's hard to see how I could've done it myself that stage was so tough.

I probably won't have time to get all 120 stars the first run through, I just don't have time to play the game that detailed. I am happy that I did beat it, though the current ending left me with some questions. I'm sure some will be answered after getting 120, and maybe even have full details about things after getting 120 the second run-through.
Narsk.NET
WikiMoon SysOp
Xbox Live Profile

RIP