First Video Game

Video games and anime sometimes tie in with each other, plus video games kick ass. =P Discuss them here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

First Video Game

Post by Kameko » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:17 pm

What video game/s were your first?

The first video games I remember playing on the computer (back when it was Windows 3.whatever) were:
-Pacman
-Commender Keen
-King's Quest (which I could never figure out how to complete)
-Space Quest
-Wolfenstein 3D
I remember my dad bringing home his computer from work so he could play Doom II because it wouldn't run on ours.

For consoles it was the SNES with Mario and Kid Icarus. I liked Kid Icarus more then Mario even though I sucked at it and could never make it past the second level.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:03 pm

It was some weird mathematics game for the Atari where you had to race cars and answer math problems. Damn you, edutainment!
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:26 pm

Monster Bash for Computer or Sonic 2. I'm not sure which was first.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:37 pm

The earliest games I remember playing were Super Mario Bros 1-3, Double Dragon and Duck Hunt on my friend's NES when I was around 5. And then when SNES came out, Street Fighter 2, Contra 3, and F-Zero

And also these. They were the first ones I owned:
Super Mario World
Super Double Dragon
Super Mario Kart
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:22 pm

I can't remember what the first game I played was, way too long ago to even try to remember. The first game I owned however was the 2-in-1 cart with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt that was packed with the NES and Zapper back in the day. That was back in the spring of 1990. Before then I was an avid gamer via others, but can't remember what games I had played before then.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:31 pm

It was definentally one Atari game or another...

I would assume either Pac-Man or River Raid, but I'm not sure...
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:56 pm

Hrm..I don't remember which was the FIRST-first, but I remember a group of firsts:

Atari: Space Invaders, and this game where you..like...bounced a ball off of a stick thing to break away this colorful wall. I think it was called Break Out, or something.

I also had a Commodore 64 (i think that's what it was called) computer, and I had jeopardy, wheel of fortune, family fued, and some smurf game.

On my dad's IBM, we played Duke Nukem and Where in the world is carmen sandiego ^^;;

On Nintendo, it was Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt, Gyromite, and Track & Field.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:02 pm

Oh wow. First video game? I have no clue. I've always played them. It was probably Mario Bros. or Duck Hunt, but it also could have been Pac-man. That was like, years ago.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:45 pm

I think my first video game was either Ms. Pac Man, or Sonic 1.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:22 am

Tiff wrote: I also had a Commodore 64 (i think that's what it was called) computer, and I had jeopardy, wheel of fortune, family feud, and some smurf game.
T_T I've never met anyone else who had one! I had the same games and this one that taught the Alphabet (I was 4) and an early version of paint.

As for consoles, I know we had an Atari, but I don't remember which one.... so I'll go with Super Mario Bros./Duck hunt for NES as my first specific game.
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:30 am

KoiNoVash wrote:
Tiff wrote: I also had a Commodore 64 (i think that's what it was called) computer, and I had jeopardy, wheel of fortune, family feud, and some smurf game.
T_T I've never met anyone else who had one! I had the same games and this one that taught the Alphabet (I was 4) and an early version of paint.
T_T I feel so bonded with you.

*Becomes your Commodore Sister*

I think I was about..uh...8 or so when we got our Commodore. I remember my brother and I were thrilled, and we were on that damn thing all the time.

Ah, memories..*wipes tear away*

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:07 am

Oh, yeah, you're all high and mighty with your Commodore 64s. We had a VIC 20 and we liked it that way!

Semi-OT, but I've always thought this really cool. The first video game ever created was done only a few miles down the road from where I live, at Brookhaven National Laboratories. It was a Pong-type game and was built in 1958 for the lab's visitors to demonstrate computer technology.
Last edited by Sailorasteroid on Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:47 pm

I must have been Super Mario Brothers. ^_^

doodlebuguk
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by doodlebuguk » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:18 am

I think I can remember playing games on my Dad's Commodore 64 and my cousin's Atari, but the first game I had myself was Kirby's Dreamland for the Game Boy. :oops: It started my obsession with cute japanese things. :)
~So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Lady of the Light
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Lady of the Light » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:00 pm

I, like so many others who have already posted, had that two-in-one cart that had Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. Since I was like, 4 or 5 when I first started playing these, I would go slightly insane. Like in Duck Hunt, where the only way to play in my opinion, was to go right up to the screen and blast every duck in sight at least five times. I tried to shoot the dog, but alas, it didn't work...
My friend and I would play Super Mario Bros, and Super Mario Bros 3, and we would always fight over who got to be Mario, because Luigi wore green, and that was very uncool. XD
Mr. James : Lost a satellite on liftoff today.
Dave : Cost?
Mr. James : 10 million dollars.
Dave : Result?
Mr. James : Extreme set back.
Dave : Milk?
Mr. James : Spilled.
Dave : Gonna cry about it?
Mr. James : Not even.
Dave : I''m sitting on a rather sharp tack.
Mr. James : That's gotta hurt.
Dave : Well, life's a bitch...
Mr. James : ...And then you die.
Dave : My...
Mr. James : ...oh...
Dave : ...my.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:23 pm

Lady of the Light wrote:I, like so many others who have already posted, had that two-in-one cart that had Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. Since I was like, 4 or 5 when I first started playing these, I would go slightly insane. Like in Duck Hunt, where the only way to play in my opinion, was to go right up to the screen and blast every duck in sight at least five times. I tried to shoot the dog, but alas, it didn't work...
My friend and I would play Super Mario Bros, and Super Mario Bros 3, and we would always fight over who got to be Mario, because Luigi wore green, and that was very uncool. XD
I hated that fuckin' dog. ^^ I kept trying to spare the ducks and shoot him instead.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:31 pm

Hmm.... That's a tough one for me. My mom was the one who played video games for me and introduced me to them. My earliest memories are of her playing Super Mario Brothers 3, but she also had one of those ninty one games on one cartridge things that she played often.

The first video game I played was probably this Sesame Street game that taught me the Alphabet and Numbers. I only played the Alphabet game because the Numbers game scared the shit out of me with it's music and graphics. It was just one of the many freakin' ridiculous things that scared me as a kid.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:57 pm

I think the first video game I remember playing is a Sonic game on the Megadrive. The first one, I think... Teehee, makes me feel so young when reading about the Commodore stuff you're speaking about (and I have no clue about that of course LOL) :D
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

shansen
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by shansen » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:21 am

My friend had an Atari, and I remember playing the old Mario Bros. game (that got pretty tough as you progressed ... at least, it seemed tough at the time).

Another friend had an Intellivision ... I remember playing Sub Hunt, Snafu, Tron Deadly Discs, and Lock 'N' Chase, among others. (There's actually a game, "Intellivision Lives", for PS2, XBox, GameCube and PC which has 60 of these games. I might look into getting it ...)

Also, I learned about games written in QBasic - mainly Gorilla and Nibbles. I found them on our high school's computer - good times there.

The first system I ever owned was the NES, and with it was Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I got pretty good at Duck Hunt. It was especially fun to have two players - Player 2 could control the ducks with the controller. I used to control the ducks, and could frequently dodge my friends' shots. (Sadly, it took me a long time to pass SMB ... I actually passed SMB2 before the first one. It's kind of sad, seeing how now I can finish it in under 10 minutes).
Tiff wrote:Atari: Space Invaders, and this game where you..like...bounced a ball off of a stick thing to break away this colorful wall. I think it was called Break Out, or something.
Yeah, it was Breakout. I've never played it, but I've played Arkanoid, a game based on Breakout (except Arkanoid has power-ups, multi-hit blocks, etc.).

MiariTrunks
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by MiariTrunks » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:19 am

The first games I ever played was Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt and Dig-Doug for the old NES.

Dig-Doug was super addictive.