3rd Tenchi OAV Licensed

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

sailor53
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

3rd Tenchi OAV Licensed

Post by sailor53 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:25 pm

According to AnimeOnDvd the 3rd Tenchi Muyo! OAV has been licensed by Funimation. I can't wait.
Lance showed a bunch of trailers, which inluded the opening for Gunslinger Girls. Then it was time for the new stuff, The first title being the new Tenchi Muyo OVA!
Remember, every downhill has its uphill.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:45 pm

Jeez, Pioneer really don'st give a damn about Tenchi anymore do they?

Sailor Wind
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor Wind » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:40 pm

That's really annoying, I used to love all the tenchi series when it was on TV.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:30 am

Sailor Wind wrote:That's really annoying, I used to love all the tenchi series when it was on TV.
Then why are you complaining? Sailor53's post was about it being licensed.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:18 am

Hmmm... I have mixed feelings about this. I'm happy that it finally got picked up and I know Funimation is going to do a great job with it, but I kinda wish that Geneon would've picked up the 3rd OAV. Tenchi was a staple for them, if anyone were to ever mention Pioneer one of the first titles that came to mind was always Tenchi, so it just seems odd that the newer Tenchi stuff isn't in their hands. I do believe that Funimation will handle this well, and with any luck they can manage to get all of the original VAs for it.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:36 pm

I just hope that Funimation gets Sherry Lynn back as Sasami. I actually liked Sasami's English voice better than her Japanese voice and I can't imagine her being voiced by any other different English voice actor.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Sailor Wind
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor Wind » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:28 pm

Then why are you complaining? Sailor53's post was about it being licensed.
What I ment was that even if it is licensed the Tecnchi series still won't show on TV in the UK, i dunno about the U.S since i don't live there.

Mendoza
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mendoza » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:38 pm

It does seem odd that Genon would let Tenchi go since the show has made so much money for them in the past. It seems they may be getting pushed to the back of the pack when it comes to releaseing anime in the states, while Funimation is moving to the forfront trying to duke it out with the ADV jugernaut.
I wonder how funimation will try to market this ova since this show is far into such an established show that goes a bit outside of their bread and butter shows.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:23 pm

MarioKnight wrote:I do believe that Funimation will handle this well, and with any luck they can manage to get all of the original VAs for it.
I doubt it. I heard they couldn't get the oringal VAs for the cameo in GXP.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:18 pm

I believe they were able to get one or two of them, but you have to keep in mind that was only for one episode in the series. Since they're doing the entire 3rd OVA, scheduling may be easier for the original VAs. I'd imagine it would be easier to figure out a block of time to do the OAV dubbing which would span much longer than the dubbing of the cameo, than to have all the VAs agree on a certain couple of days (or however dubbing an episode takes) for a single episode. I think that getting the original VAs is a lot more feasable this time around since there's a wider timespan for multiple episodes rather than a single episode.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:49 pm

I'm happy that it was licensed, but I hope FUNi will be able to stand up to their claims that they'll try harder to get the original VA's back this time. They can't just do a cheap, non-union job with this either, if they want to have a better chance at getting them back. I'm really looking foward to this one, so I hope FUNi will do a quality release with a dub that's on par with the previous Network Tenchi dubs. I know they're capable of it.

Usagi04
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Usagi04 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:30 pm

I hope that Funimation does a quality job with this series since the other Tenchi series had such a good release in the past.
"The moonlight carries the message of love."
~Tsukino Usagi~

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:06 pm

MarioKnight wrote:I believe they were able to get one or two of them, but you have to keep in mind that was only for one episode in the series. Since they're doing the entire 3rd OVA, scheduling may be easier for the original VAs. I'd imagine it would be easier to figure out a block of time to do the OAV dubbing which would span much longer than the dubbing of the cameo, than to have all the VAs agree on a certain couple of days (or however dubbing an episode takes) for a single episode. I think that getting the original VAs is a lot more feasable this time around since there's a wider timespan for multiple episodes rather than a single episode.
Two of them reprised their roles in GXP, but the weird thing is that those two aren't original VA's either. Rebecca Forstadt replaced Ellen Gerstell as Mihoshi for Tenchi in Tokyo and the later two movies, and likewise with Bob Papenbrook replacing Jay Hopper as Katushito. I'll be fine with them in the 3rd OVA, though, since getting back the originals in those two cases would be extremely unlikely.

Besides having better scheduling, FUNi has to offer more money as well. Matt K. Miller turned down reprising his role in GXP because FUNimation wasn't paying very much. Hopefully since this is a widely-anticipated OVA series, FUNi won't go the cheap route this time...

sailor53
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by sailor53 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:52 pm

Here is a pic and release date for Volume 01:

Volume 01 (6/7/05)

Volume 01 will contain episodes 1-3 and Volume 02 will have episodes 4-6 on it.
Remember, every downhill has its uphill.

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by EmperorBrandon » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:01 pm

sailor53 wrote:Here is a pic and release date for Volume 01:

Volume 01 (6/7/05)

Volume 01 will contain episodes 1-3 and Volume 02 will have episodes 4-6 on it.
3 eps. is definitely very nice (I was kind of expecting FUNi to do 2 per disc :)).

From what I've heard, things are looking very good for the original dub cast coming back too. I'm pretty excited.

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:15 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6457

The only thing I gotta say is:

:cry: :cry: SAY IT ISN'T SO, PETREA! :cry: :cry: :cry:

IMO, Mona Marshall's Ryoko in Tenchi GXP sucked.

But on the bright side, Funi managed to try to secure most of the original voice cast (MAtt, Jennifer, Sherry, Rebecca, Debi, etc.).
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:15 am

Aww. I'll miss Ryoko's English VA in the new OVAs. I don't see why so many of the purist fans hate her. I actually liked her better than her Japanese seiyuu. I even like Ayeaka's English VA. I haven't heard what her VA sounds like in the GXP series, but hopefully she won't be disappointing in the OVAs. It's still saddening to know that Ryoko's old VA won't be returning. It just won't be the same without her.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:28 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Aww. I'll miss Ryoko's English VA in the new OVAs. I don't see why so many of the purist fans hate her. I actually liked her better than her Japanese seiyuu. I even like Ayeaka's English VA. I haven't heard what her VA sounds like in the GXP series, but hopefully she won't be disappointing in the OVAs. It's still saddening to know that Ryoko's old VA won't be returning. It just won't be the same without her.
Listening to Rebecca Forstadt's Ayeka on GXP, she sound likes she has a British accent.

She's not close to JEnnifer Darling's version of Ayeka.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:55 pm

Not sure if this is related to this or not, mainly because I can't read Japanese, but pick here is a pic of some of the Tenchi Muyo cast as drawn by Type-Moon's Takashi Takeuchi.

What I do catch is the word "OVA" in the lower section of text. Maybe someone here who's knows their Japanese might be able to decypher at least some of the text.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:45 am

You can check out the US trailer for OAV 3 at:

http://www.tenchireturns.com/

From the look of the trailer, I say that the animation quality is comparable to Tenchi GXP, with the CGI animation and stuff.