Censorships different in Canada and America

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
ace11
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:54 pm

Censorships different in Canada and America

Post by ace11 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:22 pm

Hi I live in Canada and I've been a huge anime fan for a long time. Something I noticed recently is that anime shown in Canada is less edited than in America. I own an american satellite so I do get cartoon network. Here are some examples. Dragonball dubbed by funimation airs on cartoon network but in Canada its dubbed by the ocean group and airs on YTV. In Dragonball's World Tournament storyline, Namu fights Ran Fuan by stripping down to her bra and panties to distract Namu, the scene is ediited out on cartoon network. On YTV the scene is left intact and I thought is was quite funny. Also Master Roshi is a huge perv, him grabbing girls are ediited out but on YTV they show him grabbing butts left and right. Also DBGT is gonna air on cartoon network pretty soon I heard (dubbed by funi) with a whole new music score and the first 17 episodes cut. Got this from an interview from Funimation from an anime insider magazine. Well DBGT is airing in Canada already dubbed by the ocean group but the thing is they left the original music in also they didn't cut any episodes yet and its a pretty good dub. I was comparing it to my fansubs. Weird a dragonball dub being somewhat good. Also not that it matters Ocean also dubbed the later seasons of DBZ so we got those instead of those from funi. Also Inuyasha another show airing on YTV airs every Friday as a normal show. What I mean is on cartoon network Inuyasha appears on a block called Adult Swim. Intending for a mature audience. Also the swearing and nudity is left in the canadian showing. Well I will stop here. I just thought the North American views on anmie were all the same I didn't know there was a difference. I guess also we do have different broadcasting standards but I thought they were the same pretty much just different names.

User avatar
Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: In the trees

Post by Dinozore » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:26 pm

Actually, Inuyasha has very little editing in America...

And I heard that the Ocean Group dub of later DBZ has problems all its own, actually. I wonder why we didn't get the Ocean dub, though...

User avatar
ace11
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:54 pm

Post by ace11 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:34 pm

Yeah you're right the ocen dub of DBZ started shakey but turned out somewhat decent towards the end but DB and DBGT are pretty good.

User avatar
Lucied
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:20 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by Lucied » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:02 pm

Yeah, I've also noticed that, things are usually much less edited and censored in Canada. It's funny when my brother and I watch a movie on an American channel and it's really edited, my brother always says "Those wussy Americans". Eheh
"I am the black mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!" - Black mage, 8-bit theatre

User avatar
Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:29 pm

Post by Umino » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:37 pm

Dinozore wrote:And I heard that the Ocean Group dub of later DBZ has problems all its own, actually. I wonder why we didn't get the Ocean dub, though...
Because YTV hates Funimation, and Cartoon Network is Funimation's bitch. So, since Canada hates Funi, they get a different dub, while we still have Funi.

Yeah, I heard some shows air less edited there. Infact, I remeber a scene in R that was cut out here, but was left in Canada, and VHS/DVD.

The Wanderer
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:27 pm
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland

Re: Censorships different in Canada and America

Post by The Wanderer » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:30 pm

ace11 wrote:Hi I live in Canada and I've been a huge anime fan for a long time. Something I noticed recently is that anime shown in Canada is less edited than in America. I own an american satellite so I do get cartoon network. Here are some examples. Dragonball dubbed by funimation airs on cartoon network but in Canada its dubbed by the ocean group and airs on YTV. In Dragonball's World Tournament storyline, Namu fights Ran Fuan by stripping down to her bra and panties to distract Namu, the scene is ediited out on cartoon network. On YTV the scene is left intact and I thought is was quite funny. Also Master Roshi is a huge perv, him grabbing girls are ediited out but on YTV they show him grabbing butts left and right. Also DBGT is gonna air on cartoon network pretty soon I heard (dubbed by funi) with a whole new music score and the first 17 episodes cut. Got this from an interview from Funimation from an anime insider magazine. Well DBGT is airing in Canada already dubbed by the ocean group but the thing is they left the original music in also they didn't cut any episodes yet and its a pretty good dub. I was comparing it to my fansubs. Weird a dragonball dub being somewhat good. Also not that it matters Ocean also dubbed the later seasons of DBZ so we got those instead of those from funi. Also Inuyasha another show airing on YTV airs every Friday as a normal show. What I mean is on cartoon network Inuyasha appears on a block called Adult Swim. Intending for a mature audience. Also the swearing and nudity is left in the canadian showing. Well I will stop here. I just thought the North American views on anmie were all the same I didn't know there was a difference. I guess also we do have different broadcasting standards but I thought they were the same pretty much just different names.
Well, Blue Water dubbed DB and DBGT for the U.K. and Canada. Blue Water is alright but, most of the voices need more experience. I mean in DBGT, BW's Piccolo sounds like a teenager. To hear clips of BW, go to www.Ocean-DB.net.
Don't you wish Gundams were real?

User avatar
Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:43 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA.
Contact:

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:00 am

I heard that in Canada, though, they had to change the title of "Beast Wars" to just "Beasties" because of the word "war." *is confused*

User avatar
peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:16 pm
Location: B.C. Canada
Contact:

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:17 pm

Hmm, I don't remember ever hearing about having to change Beast Wars because of the word War. That's kind of weird though.
Last edited by peachvampiress on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

User avatar
Yamato-san
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:39 pm
Location: CA

Post by Yamato-san » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:39 am

you are soooo lucky. Our censorship sucks, I mean, we've got shows like Inuyasha and Cowboy Bebop on a latenight block meant specifically for 'adults', and they still cut stuff out, and the blood on Rurouni Kenshin is, most the time, being treated like how Saban treated DBZ. Also, yes, you're right, our movies do get pretty bad censorships as well when they're put on TV. For all you Canadians who've never watched an American channel, here's another good example of what they do, and I think I'll put in the same words I overheard these kids in my locker room say quite a while ago (I found it to be a pretty funny quote, actually).
"Don't you hate it when Adam Sandler movies are aired on USA?"
"Oh yeah. 'You eat STUFF for breakfast'?" (if no one ever watched Happy Gilmore, there's a scene where the villianeous guy, forgot his name, says to Happy "I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast", to which Happy replies "You eat shit for breakfast?", making the joke lose all meaning if he's eating 'stuff')

User avatar
yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1677
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:57 am

i hate censorship.

I don't even WATCH dubs... I wouldn't do it even if someone paid me.

either way... the only show that actually has cuss words in America is... SOUTH PARK!
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

User avatar
Anna Roz
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:49 pm
Location: Florida

Post by Anna Roz » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:09 am

Yes, but you won't be seeing old episodes of South Park for very long. Comedy Central is selling the syndication rights to broadcast TV, and well, they say that in order for it to air on broadcast, they can't air 12 of the old episodes, and they're gonna censor the episodes. Of course, you can still watch first-run episodes on Comedy Central and buy the DVDs to see the episodes that aren't gonna be chopped up. Damn it, I just hope they don't redub some of the funny lines(Like they do when they air movies on broadcast TV, I mean come on, "Melon Farmer"?) but that won't be a possibility. HBO's doing the same thing to old episodes of Sex and The City, too. All I can say is, they BETTER not sell the syndication rights of the Sopranos! I like watching my reruns when they're not all hacked up!

User avatar
yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1677
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:14 am

Anna Roz wrote:Yes, but you won't be seeing old episodes of South Park for very long. Comedy Central is selling the syndication rights to broadcast TV, and well, they say that in order for it to air on broadcast, they can't air 12 of the old episodes, and they're gonna censor the episodes. Of course, you can still watch first-run episodes on Comedy Central and buy the DVDs to see the episodes that aren't gonna be chopped up. Damn it, I just hope they don't redub some of the funny lines(Like they do when they air movies on broadcast TV, I mean come on, "Melon Farmer"?) but that won't be a possibility. HBO's doing the same thing to old episodes of Sex and The City, too. All I can say is, they BETTER not sell the syndication rights of the Sopranos! I like watching my reruns when they're not all hacked up!
:( damn... South Park is just hystarical...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

User avatar
MonkeyDLuffy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:43 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:

Post by MonkeyDLuffy » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:24 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:i hate censorship.

I don't even WATCH dubs... I wouldn't do it even if someone paid me.

either way... the only show that actually has cuss words in America is... SOUTH PARK!
dont you dare forget The Simpsons! Sure, South Park has cuss words....but are bleeped most of the time for comedy. The Simpsons say "damn" "ass" "shit" (maybe....bad memory) and they made a joke about the "F" word. You hear the FFFFF sound and the UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUhhhhh. which made it sound like it enough.
"I Need you Baby Baby
DOKIDOKI suru
Baby Baby kuchibiru ga
Baby Baby
Romance furueru
Baby Baby hoho wo yosete
Baby Baby kimagure ne
Baby Baby
Sore de mo shiawase
HORA kibou ga mieru
HORA kagayaku no
HORA hajimaru wa!"

~Romance, Ayaka Komatsu

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:20 pm

MonkeyDLuffy wrote: dont you dare forget The Simpsons! Sure, South Park has cuss words....but are bleeped most of the time for comedy. The Simpsons say "damn" "ass" "shit" (maybe....bad memory) and they made a joke about the "F" word. You hear the FFFFF sound and the UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUhhhhh. which made it sound like it enough.
"Shit" they do not say. "Damn", "Ass", "Bastard", and "Bitch", they do. I've noticed that "shit" is some sort of taboo word, becuase the other four words I listed have been heard on Friends, Will and Grace, and some other shows as well, but never "Shit".

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: In the trees

Post by Dinozore » Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:08 pm

Tiff wrote:"Shit" they do not say. "Damn", "Ass", "Bastard", and "Bitch", they do. I've noticed that "shit" is some sort of taboo word, becuase the other four words I listed have been heard on Friends, Will and Grace, and some other shows as well, but never "Shit".
It's the same way on Adult Swim, I think. Most of Trigun's edits were to remove "shit" from the many times it was used.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

User avatar
ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1141
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:08 am
Location: University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
Contact:

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:26 pm

Tiff wrote:
MonkeyDLuffy wrote: dont you dare forget The Simpsons! Sure, South Park has cuss words....but are bleeped most of the time for comedy. The Simpsons say "damn" "ass" "shit" (maybe....bad memory) and they made a joke about the "F" word. You hear the FFFFF sound and the UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUhhhhh. which made it sound like it enough.
"Shit" they do not say. "Damn", "Ass", "Bastard", and "Bitch", they do. I've noticed that "shit" is some sort of taboo word, becuase the other four words I listed have been heard on Friends, Will and Grace, and some other shows as well, but never "Shit".
Evidence from South Park:

Jimmy: "T-t-t-timmy, do-don't make m-m-m-me ki-kick yo-your ass!"
Stan: "Damn! How can they do this?"
Stan and Kyle: "Oh my God! They killed Kenny!" "You bastards!"
Cartman: "Oh, Kyle's mom is a bitch she's a big fat bitch..."
Stan: "They're gonna say s*** on television? They can't say s*** on television!"

It's weird how they bleep out that word.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:00 pm

Yeah..I wonder what's so offensive about the word "Shit". I don't understand how it's any worse than "Bitch" or "Damn". Weird.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod
Posts: 1545
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Post by Starscream » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:30 pm

I think South Park broke the "shit" barrier a few eps back. I believe there was an entire episode dedicated to them saying the word, because it was going to be used on "Terrence and Phillip" for the first time ever. There was a little counter in the bottom left corner of the screen, and I think the word was said about 200 times ><.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

User avatar
yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1677
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:37 pm

Starscream wrote:I think South Park broke the "shit" barrier a few eps back. I believe there was an entire episode dedicated to them saying the word, because it was going to be used on "Terrence and Phillip" for the first time ever. There was a little counter in the bottom left corner of the screen, and I think the word was said about 200 times ><.
I remember the episode with the, "Brown Noise" thing... most of it was funny. the Mr. Garrison/dad thing was horrible though...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

User avatar
MonkeyDLuffy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:43 pm
Location: Phoenix AZ
Contact:

Post by MonkeyDLuffy » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:44 pm

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
Tiff wrote:
MonkeyDLuffy wrote: dont you dare forget The Simpsons! Sure, South Park has cuss words....but are bleeped most of the time for comedy. The Simpsons say "damn" "ass" "shit" (maybe....bad memory) and they made a joke about the "F" word. You hear the FFFFF sound and the UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUhhhhh. which made it sound like it enough.
"Shit" they do not say. "Damn", "Ass", "Bastard", and "Bitch", they do. I've noticed that "shit" is some sort of taboo word, becuase the other four words I listed have been heard on Friends, Will and Grace, and some other shows as well, but never "Shit".
Evidence from South Park:

Jimmy: "T-t-t-timmy, do-don't make m-m-m-me ki-kick yo-your ass!"
Stan: "Damn! How can they do this?"
Stan and Kyle: "Oh my God! They killed Kenny!" "You bastards!"
Cartman: "Oh, Kyle's mom is a bitch she's a big fat bitch..."
Stan: "They're gonna say s*** on television? They can't say s*** on television!"

It's weird how they bleep out that word.
but the cartman line was in the movie. it doesnt count really. bastard, IMO, isnt that much of a cuss word. its the wussy of bitch.
"I Need you Baby Baby
DOKIDOKI suru
Baby Baby kuchibiru ga
Baby Baby
Romance furueru
Baby Baby hoho wo yosete
Baby Baby kimagure ne
Baby Baby
Sore de mo shiawase
HORA kibou ga mieru
HORA kagayaku no
HORA hajimaru wa!"

~Romance, Ayaka Komatsu

Locked