Censorships different in Canada and America

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:38 pm

FoxFire wrote:
Starscream wrote:I think South Park broke the "shit" barrier a few eps back. I believe there was an entire episode dedicated to them saying the word, because it was going to be used on "Terrence and Phillip" for the first time ever. There was a little counter in the bottom left corner of the screen, and I think the word was said about 200 times ><.
Actually it wasn't South Park that originally broke it, there was another show before that (I think it was Chicago Hope) where they said shit unbleeped and it caused a controversy. South Park was parodying that.
Oh, I meant that they broke the barrier on SP...before, they'd always bleeped it out ^^;;

The "S" word also sneaked in during an episode of ER: [spoiler]Mark, dying of brain cancer, tries to get out of bed but falls on the floor (the turmor has effectively shut down one side of his body). He pounds his hand on the ground and screams the word out very emotionally.[/spoiler] However, since the show's airing on TNT, the word has been muted, which seriously hampers the situation; they didn't need to keep it, but replacing it with "Damn it" would have been just as effective.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:14 pm

I heard it on an episode of the Daily Show once...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:58 pm

Dinozore wrote:I heard it on an episode of the Daily Show once...
When was this? I hear John Stewart swearing on the Daily Show all the time but it's always blepped. It gets kinda annoying.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:30 pm

It was a few months ago.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

The Wanderer
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by The Wanderer » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:55 pm

Comedy Central always seems to get away with stuff. For example, on the Chappelle Show, they can say the "N" word and they showed Michigan J. Frog with a blackface. For some reason, I thought you couldn't show blackface anymore, since they always edit it out on Looney Tunes. Also,

Cable Networks> Broadcast Networks
Don't you wish Gundams were real?

Anna Roz
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Anna Roz » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:33 pm

Yeah, and also on Cartoon Network, I've heard they edited several Tom and Jerry cartoons. The most noticable change is the maid. From what I've heard, in one scene she says in a stereotypical "black" voice: "Get out, cat! O-W-T, OUT!", which they changed to "O-U-T, OUT!" and redubbed her voice. In sme episodes, they colored her legs "white" and kept the voice, but in opthers, they'd leave the legs untouched, but redub the voice. Strange, huh? I've seen that episode 5 of South Park had a scene that was cut when it was shown on American TV, yet in other countries, the scene is put back in(check the international versions, ie German, and so on). In the cut scene, Stan's sister Shelley takes a pack of matches and lights Stan on fire, then dumps water on him and throws him to the floor. In the Comedy Central airing and the American tape releases, you see Shelley toss Stan, then suddenly he's on the floor in a big puddle. How the puddle got there must confuse some people. Apparently the scene with the matches was pulled due to concerns over imitative behavior. I know one thing's for certain, I'm not watching the broadcast TV airings of South Park, since they'll be clipped up just as bad as a crappy dub..

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:48 pm

I think the reason Comedy Central "gets away" with so much is that they seem to like controversy while other networks usually try and avoid it. They used the N word on an episode of the Bernie Mac Show a year or two back, but they aired a warning before the show started. The reason that you edit blackface out of Looney Tunes is that that's considered racist now and they're now being aired for kids. A lot of those cartoon originally aired before movies anyway.

About Tom and Jerry, I've heard that they actually recolored the maids legs to make her white back in the 60's. Now Cartoon Network has been restoring her, but they also redub her voice so she sounds less stereotypically black.

I really wish Comedy Central would start showing anime, since they don't seem to follow what is considered taboo on other networks and they show so much animated programming anyway.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:06 pm

I've noticed that Shit is used a bit more on Canadian T.V., even during the day, it's fuck they try to sneak in.
Last edited by peachvampiress on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:11 am

And here I hear the F word on TV all the time. Although, due to oddness of demographics, we got this odd line from Speed:

"So, in 200 years, we've changed from 'I have but one life to give for my country' to '[blank] you'?"

(otherwise, Speed was unedited).

We also got an unedited version of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (including full disgusting Mr Creosote scene) and Show Me Love was shown under the original title.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:04 pm

You know, you might as well not bother reading this. You'll just read it again in the next post. Then, read the one after that.

Tiff wrote:Yeah..I wonder what's so offensive about the word "Shit". I don't understand how it's any worse than "Bitch" or "Damn". Weird.
I notice that, too. To me, bitch is the most offensive word ever. I have the same rule as my mom: If you call me a bitch, you won't dare to use that word in my presence again. I don't know what it is about it, but everyone knows it's very offensive. "Damn," on the other hand, just does not seem offensive anymore. Neither does "Shit." At least to me.
Last edited by Sailor X on Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That avatar is a self portrait. Really. Really. No matter how much it looks like D'Angelo, that's me. .... Oh, just shut up.

"Man, I am like obsessed with this show...could anyone have made a worse tv program if they set out to? The best part is, it was my grandma's FAVORITE show. We put her in a home shortly after she made that comment."
Jump the Shark comment on "Small Wonder"

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:09 pm

Tiff wrote:Yeah..I wonder what's so offensive about the word "Shit". I don't understand how it's any worse than "Bitch" or "Damn". Weird.
I notice that, too. To me, bitch is the most offensive word ever. I have the same rule as my mom: If you call me a bitch, you won't dare to use that word in my presence again. "Nigger," equates on the same level, but "nigga" does not. I don't know what it is about it (the word "bitch"), but everyone knows it's very offensive. "Damn," on the other hand, just does not seem offensive anymore. Neither does "Shit." At least to me.
Last edited by Sailor X on Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
That avatar is a self portrait. Really. Really. No matter how much it looks like D'Angelo, that's me. .... Oh, just shut up.

"Man, I am like obsessed with this show...could anyone have made a worse tv program if they set out to? The best part is, it was my grandma's FAVORITE show. We put her in a home shortly after she made that comment."

Sailor X
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Sailor X » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:13 pm

Dumbly, someone clicked on the "quote" button instead of the "edit" button and replied to their own message. Damn. I mean, (expletive deleted by The Super Invisible Galactic Censoring System!).

EDIT: ... and then, someone, instead of diting that message, someone accidentally clicked on the quote button yet again and replied to their own message again. (several F-bombs deleted by The Super Invisible Galactic Censoring System! AGAIN!).