ROD TV: what are your thoughts?

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: Canada

ROD TV: what are your thoughts?

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:40 pm

Has anyone seen the Read or Die released by Manga Entertainment last year? I thought it was completely amazing. I loved all the action and everything. I also thought Yomiko's obsession for books was fascinating. So, I downloaded episodes 1-3 last night from www.downloadanime.org. Apparently, Geneon now has the rights for ROD TV and will be releasing the series soon. You can view the article at http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/4546.html

What are your thoughts?

User avatar
Lady of the Light
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:28 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Post by Lady of the Light » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:02 pm

I love Read or Die. I think it's awesome, mostly because I can relate to the main character. Books rule! The idea of paper being controled by a person is very interesting, and the ways Yomiko uses it throughout the series is very cool....And the Joker happens to be one of my biggest anime crushes. Blond hair. Whoot! *_*

I haven't seen the Read or Dream series, but if it's any where near Read or Die, I want to see it.
Mr. James : Lost a satellite on liftoff today.
Dave : Cost?
Mr. James : 10 million dollars.
Dave : Result?
Mr. James : Extreme set back.
Dave : Milk?
Mr. James : Spilled.
Dave : Gonna cry about it?
Mr. James : Not even.
Dave : I''m sitting on a rather sharp tack.
Mr. James : That's gotta hurt.
Dave : Well, life's a bitch...
Mr. James : ...And then you die.
Dave : My...
Mr. James : ...oh...
Dave : ...my.

User avatar
RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: Canada

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:57 pm

Lady of the Light wrote:I love Read or Die. I think it's awesome, mostly because I can relate to the main character. Books rule! The idea of paper being controled by a person is very interesting, and the ways Yomiko uses it throughout the series is very cool....And the Joker happens to be one of my biggest anime crushes. Blond hair. Whoot! *_*

I haven't seen the Read or Dream series, but if it's any where near Read or Die, I want to see it.
Read or Dream is awesome. Read or Die focuses on Yomiko while Read or Dream focuses on the Paper Sisters, Michelle, Maggie and Anita. They also have the ability to manipulate paper, just like Yomiko.

User avatar
Miyamoto
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: The Northeast, way south of Maine

Post by Miyamoto » Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:15 am

RoastedTwinkies wrote:
Lady of the Light wrote:I love Read or Die. I think it's awesome, mostly because I can relate to the main character. Books rule! The idea of paper being controled by a person is very interesting, and the ways Yomiko uses it throughout the series is very cool....And the Joker happens to be one of my biggest anime crushes. Blond hair. Whoot! *_*

I haven't seen the Read or Dream series, but if it's any where near Read or Die, I want to see it.
Read or Dream is awesome. Read or Die focuses on Yomiko while Read or Dream focuses on the Paper Sisters, Michelle, Maggie and Anita. They also have the ability to manipulate paper, just like Yomiko.
Hmm... Sounds interesting.. I may get the fansubs from downloadanime.org as well... Anyone who wants to download a series from there'll need BitTorrent which can be gotten here: http://www.bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent :)
Supah Mario ownz j00 f00!!

http://we.is-a-geek.org/~ShiggyMiyamoto ... maller.jpg

If you''d like to send me a message please use [email protected]. Thnx.

Recent Funny Xbox Chat:

<aznwaterboy> how did xbox kill a cat
<SMiyamoto> LOL
<Raxc> XBox fell on the cat''s back.

User avatar
Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:15 pm
Location: High Point, NC.

Post by Parallax » Mon May 17, 2004 2:35 pm

Great Guardians!! I Have "Read or Die" at home and viewed it for the first time! It's GOOD!!!! :D :D :D :D :D Too bad Yomiko didn't team up with Firestorm, the Nuclear Man.
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

User avatar
Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Post by Sakuya » Mon May 17, 2004 3:04 pm

I only downloaded the OVA and it was awesome. Now if only I can get the DVD with a DTS track. Does anyone know if the R1 release has DTS 5.1 surround sound? I know a bootleg that does and that's just plain weird.

Anyway, I am looking forward to ROD TV because it's setting is my birth place. :D But it's sad the main character is not Yomiko. It looks too kiddy from some covers I've seen. I heard the action is just as good so, I guess that makes up for it. :D

The released date for ROD TV the R1 DVD first volume is on June 29, 2004. :( There's also a limited edition set. Check it out here:

http://www.animenation.com/dvd-anime-dv ... r-die.html

User avatar
RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: Canada

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Mon May 17, 2004 9:36 pm

Sakuya wrote:I only downloaded the OVA and it was awesome. Now if only I can get the DVD with a DTS track. Does anyone know if the R1 release has DTS 5.1 surround sound? I know a bootleg that does and that's just plain weird.

Anyway, I am looking forward to ROD TV because it's setting is my birth place. :D But it's sad the main character is not Yomiko. It looks too kiddy from some covers I've seen. I heard the action is just as good so, I guess that makes up for it. :D

The released date for ROD TV the R1 DVD first volume is on June 29, 2004. :( There's also a limited edition set. Check it out here:

http://www.animenation.com/dvd-anime-dv ... r-die.html
That's awesome! I think I like the special edition packaging more than the original one.

User avatar
Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Post by Sakuya » Mon May 17, 2004 10:18 pm

I wonder if the entire series will get the 5.1 Dolby Digital treatment like with Noir? :P

User avatar
Mendoza
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:05 am
Location: Texas

Post by Mendoza » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:31 am

The ROD OVA dvd has 5.1 surround, and I believe ROD tv does as well
ROD seems like a very promising show. I saw the first episode dubbed at the A-KON in Dallas this year and the dub is actualy pretty good, though i can't remember any of the voice talent at the moment.

User avatar
EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:10 pm
Location: Springfield, Missouri

Post by EmperorBrandon » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:59 pm

I've watched the Read or Die OVA, and got to sample some of ROD the TV, and I liked them both quite a bit. It's a really fun show, and I'll be buying the first volume of ROD the TV (looking foward to checking out the dub, which I've heard is very good)

User avatar
Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 304
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:15 pm
Location: High Point, NC.

Post by Parallax » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:33 pm

I also have Vol 1 of "Read or Dream". :D :D :D :D Hopefully I'll get Vols. 2, 3, 4, and so on. :D :D :D I can't wait to see more of The Paper Sisters. :D :D :D :D ( I hang out at libraries, heck, I practically LIVE at a library in my hometown.)
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

User avatar
Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Post by Sakuya » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:12 pm

I'm finally getting the ROD TV Vol.1 as a gift! Is it good? :) I heard that there is a noticeable difference between the DVD and the TV versions. I think the money/paper is more detailed while on the TV, it's just a gray piece of paper. I think...I don't remember where I saw that but they had lots of comparisons with pictures. :?

User avatar
RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: Canada

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:17 pm

Like I mentioned before, I bought ROD volume one at Animethon. I think the dub is pretty good so far. Are they really airing the show on TV in North America? Or are you talking about the TV version in Japan?

User avatar
MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 1640
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Baldwinsville, NY
Contact:

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:54 pm

If I remember correctly, this November it will be aired on TV here. I can't remember if it'll be the OVA or the TV series that airs, I'm too lazy to check through news articles right now, but I'm pretty sure I remember at least one of the two set to air this year.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08


This list seems to keep on growing. =(

User avatar
RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: Canada

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:08 pm

MarioKnight wrote:If I remember correctly, this November it will be aired on TV here. I can't remember if it'll be the OVA or the TV series that airs, I'm too lazy to check through news articles right now, but I'm pretty sure I remember at least one of the two set to air this year.
That's really interesting. I'm sure it's going to be a little while longer before it airs in Canada. That's how it always seems to be when it comes to importing anime to North America. The US always gets the show first.

User avatar
Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Post by Sakuya » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:45 am

I meanted the TV version in Japan. As for the North America TV broadcast, that's for the ROD OVA being broadcasted on Adult Swim in its movie form. Meaning, instead of 3 separate episodes, they're mushing them into 1 entire movie.

User avatar
Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Post by Sakuya » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:36 am

I saw the first 8 episodes of ROD The TV. It's hella boring. :? Where did all the action go?! I was expecting action every episode like the OVA. The first episode was satisfying and then it just went..poof and got replaced by drama, drama and more drama. And no hand-to-hand combat action in episodes 5 to 8 at ALL. :( I'm majorly disappointed.

If anyone has seen the entire series via fansubs, can you please tell me if it will get better/worse? :cry: I am still comtemplating if I should put the boring 5 to 8 on CD for completeness sakes? :x

User avatar
RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: Canada

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:46 pm

Sakuya wrote:I saw the first 8 episodes of ROD The TV. It's hella boring. :? Where did all the action go?! I was expecting action every episode like the OVA. The first episode was satisfying and then it just went..poof and got replaced by drama, drama and more drama. And no hand-to-hand combat action in episodes 5 to 8 at ALL. :( I'm majorly disappointed.

If anyone has seen the entire series via fansubs, can you please tell me if it will get better/worse? :cry: I am still comtemplating if I should put the boring 5 to 8 on CD for completeness sakes? :x
[spoiler]I haven't seen past the eighth episode, but my friend said that about midway through the series, Yomiko returns and we get a bit more action.[/spoiler]

User avatar
RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:33 pm
Location: Canada

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:29 pm

When I bought volume 4 on Friday, the guy told me that volume 5 is supposed to be released next week.

User avatar
Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:58 am
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Post by Sakuya » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:04 pm

I finished the series! It wasn't as good as the OVA action-wise. After watching the OVA, I think most people would be looking for action. So it's a big disappointment there. :cry: Now I must wait for the US DVD release because they have the 5.1 surround sound. I wish Blockbuster would pick it up so I can get it more cheap. :?

Locked