What animes would you like/ not like to see in Live Action?

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Vagabond
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Vagabond » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:31 am

I would like to see Black Jack made in to a movie. I'm just curious on how they are going to make the movie exciting and fit in to the bizarre premise of showing Black Jack's godlike medical skills. I just hope they don't make him out to be some action hero like the Fugitive (though that would be somewhat amusing.) I could imagine adding a medical facet to action film cliches. For example, he could be sewing up a cut on his arm while in a car chase using the car mirrors or something like that. (I've got an overactive imagination...)
If you just see the leaf, you'll miss the tree;
If you just see the tree, you'll miss the forest;
To see everything, effortlessly, that is what it means to truly see.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:22 pm

A live action Witch Hunter Robin would be pretty cool. I would be interested in seeing the special effects they would use on that.

If a live action DragonBall Z does come out in America, I may see it just out of curiosity, despite how repetitive it can be.

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Mon May 03, 2004 2:53 am

I think Serial Experiments Lain or Haibane Renmei would both make good deeply philosophical and surrealistic/mind-fuck movies. If they did American versions they'd have to get David Lynch or Tim Burton to direct.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

yamijounouchi
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by yamijounouchi » Mon May 03, 2004 6:02 am

i would hate to see a live-action yugioh movie. think about all the crappy wigs-not to mention 4kids would probably have a hand in making it. infact, once i mistook a duel monsters commercial for a commercial for a live-action movie, because they had some cg monsters and a guy who looked like kaiba. i would like to see a live-action .hack/sign movie. when you think about it, all we would really have to worry about is the special effects, if they were ok then the movie would be gold.
"those with the least to smile about seem to be the ones that laugh the most. the lips smile, but the eyes reveal the truth." --- me

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:24 pm

I would die and scream like the happy fangirlie I am to see an Ouran Highschool Host Club live action drama/ musical. I'm probobly the only person who thinks this, but in my own happy world, Gackt plays Tamaki and the twins are played by Klaha and Hyde. (^^;; I'll shut up now). Seriusly I've convinced myself of a OHHC musical/LA. I dunno how, or why, but I did. I would love to see a live action Tamakai being on narssasitic on stage with twincest <3

..Thats just me. (There is a Bleach Myu o_o and Teni Myu...don't see why they can't have a OHHC myu or LA)

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:36 pm

I'd never wanna see a live action Tenchi Muyo! movie. I think it'd just end up being an international American Pie.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:40 pm

Neon Heart wrote:I'd never wanna see a live action Tenchi Muyo! movie. I think it'd just end up being an international American Pie.
I agree fully.

Cept for Ryu-oki. I would want to see a live action Ryu-oki XP

Master85
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Master85 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:26 pm

I've seen Sailormoon live action once for a few minutes and never want to see it again. Anime is the best and the only one. Better not to make live action of anime.

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:35 pm

I think I would like to see a LA Hellsing. That might be good if handled correctly.

This is a slideshow of concept art images for the LA Eva movie
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qdP606fFPyE

This is an interview (it's a few years old) about the LA Eva movie
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gdnYPmd0lgs

Doesn't sound too bad. They also want to use 14 year olds as the pilots.

P.S I have had to edit this 3 times now due to spelling errors :P I should proof read
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Bubbles36
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Live Action anime?

Post by Bubbles36 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:21 am

I looked at the concept pics - cool, but of course don't give a 'feel' for it 'live'. Also looked at trailer - the evas weren't shown with people and kinda looked like another movie.
How and if they do the philosophical ending is a challenge! However the team involved should mean it's not glorified transformers.

Was that Tobey Maguire and Emma Watson (Hermione) I saw?

I agree on Witch Hunter Robin and Perfect Blue.
Fruits Basket could be fun but worry how they'd do the animals (Luna in PGSM - argh).

Think Paradise Kiss is very cool so that could be v stylish - or some poor teen Ugly Betty.

I guess Vampire Hunter D and Hellsing are pretty obvious candidates as vampire special effects action has been done for a while.

I think Kino's Journey could be an interesting children's series that adults would like too (and I can't think of something similar just now). No, not Doctor Who! (and I didn't think it was a kids programme when I watched as a child).

Hm, if Eva does well, Hollywood bandwagon would indicate a slew of mecha (if they can get rights sorted) - what's next I wonder?

StarFlame Soldier
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by StarFlame Soldier » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:21 am

writergirl wrote:I'd absolutely HATE to see a live action Inuyasha!!!!! it scares me to think about what they'd do for the monsters... there's only things that work in the anime.... (heh one of them is the multiple pass... OMG!!!!!!!!!)
The only way that they could pull things like monster/fighting off well (in my opinion) would be in a cinematic epic with a multi-million dollar budget.

Personally, I can't imagine any anime as live action. I mean, I sort-of like the idea of PGSM and the character/story development and such, but anime has its charms in the expressions (especially embarrassed or shocked/sweatdrop etc.).
Two wrongs don''t make a right, but three lefts do.

In Space, no-one can hear you scream. In Time, nobody listens

Smile for Saz!

sleep, Celeste

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:07 pm

Le Petite Cossette would be awsome as a Gothic/horror live action movie.

This anime was very well done and it was powerful, it is about a a college art student that runs an antique shope for his uncle and he discovers a beautiful antique crystal goblet with lovely rainbow markings on the mouth, and when he looks into the rainbow marking he sees the life a 17th century noble french girl named Cossette, who he falss inlove with. The girl's spirit makes a blood pact with him and starts haunting him by sending him periosiclally to a spirit limbo type world for the condemed and brutatly torturies him. But she has reason for doing this.

It is very good but very sad, but it has a wonderful sound tract. Hauntingly beatiful and creepy at the same time.

Has any one seen this anime? Who thinks this would make a good live action movie?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:38 pm

Passion 55, after reading your post I thought I'd give Le portrait de petite Corsettea try. At first I thought it was boring and I wasn't going to like it. Was i wrong. I love it, so beautiful and you were right about the music, I love it.

And yes, it would be good for a live action movie. The only problem I have is the special effects would have to be pretty damn good to pull it off.

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:43 am

there is also a manga version of the movie as well (it came out after the movie) but it's story line deviates from the movie and goes about things diffrently. In some ways it's more violent and Cossette is portrayed more sinsiter and villanious. But it goes about the story a different way which I thought was interesting. I wonder if the manga story line (which has more detail) would be better suited for a live action movie than the anime. :?

By the way did you "get" the ending of the movie I where you confused on [spoiler]the two Cossets and when they switched places[/spoiler] at the end of the movie?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

awesomeweirdo
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by awesomeweirdo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:08 pm

I'd like to see Full Moon Wo Sagashite in live-action (if any guy would actually want to wear Takuto's outfit!). Though there might be trouble if it was in America--the show is similar to Hannah Montana(though in my opinion Full Moon is better).
Save Pluto!!!!!!!!!!!! (screw Charon)

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:01 pm

I would personally like to see either Trigun or Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X be done as LA. I think either of these (or both!) would be cool.

There's also been talk of a Voltron film being made, and I've read drafts of a proposed script...which made my eyes bleed it was so horrid. I hope if they do make a movie of Voltron, they make it a decent one. :x

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:21 am

A rule of thumb...

Things like Dramas tends to do better than Sci-Fi/Fantasy when translated to LA. This is mainly due to Dramas not requiring much of a budget while Sci-Fi/Fantasy usually does (but never gets the money they need).

The Negima LA series seems to have followed the above rule, as virtually every blogger dumped it after a couple of episodes.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:15 am

Live action Cardcaptor Sakura would be cool. Live action Pokemon, on the other hand, would be....creepy.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:33 am

I agee with Neodeadmoon on the Azumanga Daioh front. There's nothing typically OTT about it in the first place and it would be really good for girls to relate too (not that I'm saying boys wouldn't watch it or relate) the characters are also normal looking, they don't have strange outfits or odd hair colours.

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:49 pm

Vampire Hunter D in Live Action based off the novels. I've been reading the novels and they are so good, these books would do very well as LA movies. It's so sad that only the two of the novels (out of 14) where ever adapted into anime movies. I love Vampire Hunter D!