Look-a-likes

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

krystalkarrierkpc
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Look-a-likes

Post by krystalkarrierkpc » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:28 pm

Is it me or do people that draw characters for anime/manga use the same character designs? Various characters from different anime/mangas look the same. :?

Examples:
Rei(BSSM)/Kagome(IY)-when I saw the first preveiw for IY I thought that Kagome was Rei. The uniform, the hair, the eyes.....

Yoko Kurama(YYH)/Inuyasha(IY)-when Kurama converted to his demon form during the dark tournament he came looking the exact same as Inuyasha. They have the same color hair and eyes... and they both had dog ears in the exact same spot.

First Announcer(YYH)/A girl from pilot canidate- I have no names for either but they both had short hair with cat/foz ears on their heads (like yoko and inuyasha...bizzare) :shock:

EmperorBrandon
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Re: Look-a-likes

Post by EmperorBrandon » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:42 pm

krystalkarrierkpc wrote:
First Announcer(YYH)/A girl from pilot canidate- I have no names for either but they both had short hair with cat/foz ears on their heads (like yoko and inuyasha...bizzare) :shock:
First announcer in YYH was Koto, and the girl from Pilot Candidate with cat ears is Kizna. Koto is a foxgirl and Kizna is a catgirl, but they do look pretty similar...

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:13 pm

I've never actually seen this anime before; I just saw this pic while browing through this site, but she looks an awful lot like Sakura from Cardcaptor Sakura: http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?vol21020
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:47 pm

Do characters from different works by the same author count?

I still think Excel looks a lot like Aruceid (sp?) from Tsukihime...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Re: Look-a-likes

Post by Jonathan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:29 pm

krystalkarrierkpc wrote:Is it me or do people that draw characters for anime/manga use the same character designs? Various characters from different anime/mangas look the same. :?

Examples:
Rei(BSSM)/Kagome(IY)-when I saw the first preveiw for IY I thought that Kagome was Rei. The uniform, the hair, the eyes.....:
I thought the exact same thing. The similarity between Rei and Kagome was what got me watchin Inuyasha in the first place.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

krystalkarrierkpc
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by krystalkarrierkpc » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:15 pm

Dinozore wrote:Do characters from different works by the same author count?

sure. anyone in any anime/manga that looks like any other character counts

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:39 pm

I think Iori from I"s and Moemi from Video Girl Ai look the same (both manga are by the same author, I think his name is Katsura something...). He draws really beautiful women, but seems to reuse character designs.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:33 am

krystalkarrierkpc wrote:
Dinozore wrote:Do characters from different works by the same author count?

sure. anyone in any anime/manga that looks like any other character counts
So basically, this is a "Separated at Birth?" thread.

I thought Naru of LH looks like Yomi without her glasses of AzuDai.

And Hotta of Princess Nine looks like Tomo in her 3rd year hairstyle of AzuDai.

And Poemi and Futaba look a bit like CCS's Sakura and Tomoyo respectively.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:41 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:And Poemi and Futaba look a bit like CCS's Sakura and Tomoyo respectively.
JC Staff (the producers of the anime) did that on purpose.
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:14 pm

Heero Yuy from Gundam Wing bears a certain resemblance to the main hero of Macross 7 (who's name currently slips my mind). They have similiar hairstyles, wear the same green tanktop, and the same jeans. Yes, I know Heero Yuy wore shorts during the tvseries, but he did wear jeans in the Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz OVAs.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:36 pm

I found some slight lookalikes in a dubbed episode of Pokemon I just watched (the one about Erica's grass Pokemon gym). It wouldn't be that impressive, but both lookalikes are from the same show! Erica has a bunch of girls who help her at the gym, and I'm pretty sure two might've been based off of Wedding Peach characters. One girl's blue hair is styled eeriely like Angel Daisy's and the other, well, it's not her hair itself (turquoise pigtails) but the things in her hair that separate out her pigtails look a LOT like Wedding Peach's hair clips. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not?
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:11 pm

A couple more to add to the list:

Tsukihime's Ciel looks very much like AzuDai's Nyamo.

AzuDai's Sakaki looks very much like Love Hina's Motoko (both voiced by Yu Asakawa) and Lime-Iro Senkitan's Rinzu (Not voiced by Yu).
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:44 pm

Maetel looks like that that girl in "Starblazers" who was found outside of the star ship after so kind of crash. (folks I'm doing this from very sketchy memory. correct me if i'm wrong) it was wierd. that and the main guy looked like Harlock somewhat. That's what happens when you get more than one series from the same author.

Rumiko is constantly reusing designs. Oh man it's so funny looking over her work and picking out who looks like who. Ryoko (Entrepreneurial Spirit) looks like Ran (Urusei Yatsura) and Maris (Maris the Chojo). Tsukiko (Winged Victory) looks like a prototype of female Ranma. That's just some examples.

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:33 pm

I think Vegeta and Hiei look a lot alike (tho I like Hiei more). Both are short with black pointy hair and are angry a lot. Both also have a "stuck up" attitude. Their eyes are kinda similar, too.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

krystalkarrierkpc
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by krystalkarrierkpc » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:03 am

crazydiamond wrote:I think Vegeta and Hiei look a lot alike (tho I like Hiei more). Both are short with black pointy hair and are angry a lot. Both also have a "stuck up" attitude. Their eyes are kinda similar, too.
I totally agree. I meant to mention that but it slipped my mind.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:32 am

I was looking through my wedding peach manga and in a couple pictures where Momoko has her hair up, she looks like a dark haired version of Saint Tail. Very very weird. Then I was watching the anime version of Fushigi Yugi.....Miaka looks like a happy version of Miyu (Vampire Princess Miyu). only their hair is slightly different in style and color tone. Some things can be so creepy.

SailorSpace
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by SailorSpace » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:03 pm

There's a character in Vehicle Voltron, named Lisa, who resembles Sailor Mars.

http://voltron.purrsiathunder.net/galle ... m=28&pos=0

However, it is just my opinion, lol.

Mercurius Twin
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Look-a-likes

Post by Mercurius Twin » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:23 pm

If we're allowed to use series by the same author, then I can name a few off the top of my head.

Mizuno Ami (Sailormoon) / Sorano Hikaru (Codename: Sailor V) / Kuramitsu Rena (Miss Rain)

I wouldn't have gotten Rena if the resemblance hadn't been mentioned in Act Two of Sailormoon. Hikaru is pretty obvious, though, since most Sailormoon fans end up checking out Sailor V anyway.
Similarly...

Hino Rei (Sailormoon) / Keishi Soukan (Codename: Sailor V)
Umino (Sailormoon) / Amano (Codename: Sailor V)

Umino and Amano are basically the same character as far as I can tell. Rei and Soukan look the same, but the only personality trait they seem to share is their air of sophistication (which Soukan only posesses because she's got a lot of money).
Three quotes I like:

"Smart. Beautiful. Mercurius Twin."
- The "Sloganize" website

"Stop that, you! You're an accessory."
-Tsukino Usagi (to Luna, ep. 6)

"Stop the clapping! YOU'LL KILL US ALL!!"
- Professor Frink

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:21 pm

The Kodocha characters look very similar to the Marmalade Boy characters... I don't know the names though.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

doodlebuguk
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by doodlebuguk » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:17 pm

I'm not that good at remembering lookalikes, but I really think Nanami Luchia from 'Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch' looks so much like Usagi from Sailormoon. It doesn't help that MMPPP is often referred to as 'Sailormoon with Mermaids' :oops:
~So long, and thanks for all the fish~