Fruits Basket

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

sailor53
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by sailor53 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:28 am

I recently saw volume 1. From what I've seen so far I really like it and can't wait to finish the series. BTW has anyone seen the new box yet. It is so pretty. Here are some pics: Front Back
Remember, every downhill has its uphill.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:45 pm

The box art is REALLY cute ^_^

I can't believe I don't have this series on R1 DVD yet.

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:40 pm

Neo Dead Moon wrote: I can't believe I don't have this series on R1 DVD yet.
They have had it out for about two years now... check amazon.com
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

Hatsuharu_Souma
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Fruits Basket

Post by Hatsuharu_Souma » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:10 pm

well if you cant tell im kinda obsessed with fruits basket... im even starting to scare off some of my friends... "highschool girls! highschool girls! all for me! highschool girls!" i just love that song!
I Love Haru. But Sailormoon will always be my favorite Anime.

sailormoonhannah
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Ya you do scare your friends!!!

Post by sailormoonhannah » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:19 pm

you do scare me with that you know?! and you like it!!! but Fruits Basket is really good and the high school girl song is very funny!!!

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:01 am

I have watched the Fruits Basket over this week, and found it a touch disappointing.

First off, to Miss Tohru: GROW A SPINE!!!

But what really disappointed me was this whole "family curse" thing. How bad is this curse, really? I mean, in the course of a normal life, how often do you get embraced out of family? And it's not like they go around killing people when they've changed--they just look funny for a few minutes. I could buy the curse in the case of, say, Ranma, because that was a comedic farce. This was supposed to be. . . drama? romance?

I mean, it's like some family saying "We live under a terrible curse. All of us are horribly allergic to peanuts. And we must prevent any outsiders from ever discovering our evil peanut curse." I understand that it's a staple of fiction that anything magical has to be hidden from the public, but with Fruba I couldn't suspend my disbelief. I just kept thinking that 90% of their problems could have been negated by simply telling people about their nature. If they didn't have memory erasing powers (and how *do* they have memory-erasing powers?), there's no show.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Sailor Europa
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Sailor Europa » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:39 am

Well, over the weekend I finished the 3rd DVD of Fruits Basket. I needed a break from all that watching. *^^*;

I have to say, though, that I really like this anime. I love how there're this bits of humor that's really unexpected. I just burst out laughing any time I hear about Shigeru and Ayame's little night time antics.

I think Momiji is just about my favorite characters. Well, I think I really like all of them. It's so sad when you learn about their past lives and things.

Oh, and to disagree with you a bit, Asteroid-san.
Honestly, I don't think Tohru needs to grow a spine. She's dense, naive, and pure hearted, but that's not as if she's weak minded. She reminds me a lot like me, however, I'm not that dedicated to my studies. *^^*;

Oh, and about the curse and the hugging? I'd seriously hate that. Every day I hug at least seven people in school. I wouldn't be able to stand not hugging people. Like, when I just meet someone I usually ask/offer a hug in greeting, rather than, say, shaking their hand.

Oh, and Kagura frightens me.
And I absolutely adore Kisa.

Oh! And I love when Kyo and Uo fight together. Gold, I tell you.
"Hey long distance. Tokyo! I love the French!" ~Ron Stoppable

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:29 pm

I've only read volume One.

Shigure has really funny scenes.
Shigure: "This curse would make being married in public almost impossible, so that makes sex- *punched in the face*
Yuki: Don't be vulgar.

And I love Kagura. I love how she gets pissed off and beats the crap out of everyone. :lol: :lol:
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:05 pm

Sailor Europa wrote:Oh, and to disagree with you a bit, Asteroid-san.Honestly, I don't think Tohru needs to grow a spine. She's dense, naive, and pure hearted, but that's not as if she's weak minded. She reminds me a lot like me, however, I'm not that dedicated to my studies. *^^*;
She's not weak-minded, but weak-willed. She never does anything out of her own desire, she just moves with the tide. Her mom wants her to graduate, so she throws herself into studies. Her house needs repairs, so she goes to live in a tent. The Sohma's tell her to go live with them, and she does. They tell her to keep away from Hatori and Akito, and she promises to. Then Akito shows up and she's nice to him anyway. Plus what happens when that one kid (I forget the name, he's the sheep) takes her notebook. I don't see how any normal human being can not want to slap his face.

Oh, one other thing on Fruba, but I found the subtitles to be terribly done. I'm quite certain I heard them referring to "natto" when the subs said leeks and to "takoyaki" when the subs said jelly buns. There were lots of timing errors as well.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:41 am

Sailorasteroid wrote:Oh, one other thing on Fruba, but I found the subtitles to be terribly done. I'm quite certain I heard them referring to "natto" when the subs said leeks and to "takoyaki" when the subs said jelly buns. There were lots of timing errors as well.
I noticed that too, subs would stay onscreen for awhile after someone was done talking. And subtitles for songs were done in the same color, it got confusing when someone would talk with a song playing in the back.

Hino_Rei552
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Hino_Rei552 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:53 am

yoshmaster5 wrote:Shigure has really funny scenes.
Shigure: "This curse would make being married in public almost impossible, so that makes sex- *punched in the face*
Yuki: Don't be vulgar.
XDD That is the best scene ever.

I LOVE Fruits Basket. I bought the boxset off Amazon a few weeks ago, and now I've seen all of the episodes.
Shigure is my favorite character. He's just too cute! I also love Yuki, Kyo, Momiji, and Hiro. Hatsuharu is damn hot.
I've only read the first of the manga. But I want to read more, now.
My LJ
My artwork

"It''s easy to write a jam that people wanna dance to. The hard ones to write are the deep, beautiful, pretty songs."
~Andre 3000

Artemis Lover
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Artemis Lover » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:26 am

Sailorasteroid wrote:First off, to Miss Tohru: GROW A SPINE!!!
I'd have to disagree entirely. I've been told many a time that I don't have a spine. Tohru is just a person that puts people before themselves, which is definitely an honorable trait.

As for Fruits Basket- I've seen the first two DVDs and about half of the third, plus read the first manga, and I **Love** it!! The characters are so awesome and I love the story- most of the anime I've seen ((ok, so that's barely any)) basically is about people going around and fighting random battles, which is SO not what this series is about, and I love that.

As for characters- I'd say my two favorites are Hatori and Shigure Sohma, but after that, DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!!! *sweat drop*. I absolutely love the dog that Shigure turns into- so adorable.

GOOD QUOTE:
Kagura: You just don't know what a woman in love feels like!
Shigure: Oh, I dunno, I've felt many women.
Kagura: ...
Shigure: This is your cue to start yelling, "Shigure, you're a pervert!" and start to hit me or something.

Okay, I probably didn't get that right. w/e. :D
“See this butt? Yeah. Look at it. LOOK AT MY BUTT. This is all you’re getting. MY BUTT to look at it. Yeah, bet you’re sorry now, aren’t you? You’d like to see my cute fuzzy face, wouldn’t you? But all you’re getting is the BUTT. LOOK AT IT. LOOK AT MY BUTT. Sucker.”
The thing is, Henrietta has—how can I put this? Kind of a big butt. If Henrietta were a celebrity? She’d be J-Lo.
Not that J-Lo has what I would call a big butt. But others have opined that this is so. I think J-Lo has a normal, healthy butt. As does Henrietta.
~Meg Cabot

Hino_Rei552
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Hino_Rei552 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:47 pm

Artemis Lover wrote: GOOD QUOTE:
Kagura: You just don't know what a woman in love feels like!
Shigure: Oh, I dunno, I've felt many women.
Kagura: ...
Shigure: This is your cue to start yelling, "Shigure, you're a pervert!" and start to hit me or something.

Okay, I probably didn't get that right. w/e. :D
XD So awesome.
My LJ
My artwork

"It''s easy to write a jam that people wanna dance to. The hard ones to write are the deep, beautiful, pretty songs."
~Andre 3000

Sakura_Gal
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sakura_Gal » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:58 pm

I just finished watching the 4th DVD, I CRIED! :cry:

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Rainbow's comments on the series and characters (I've seen and own the whole anime series but not the manga):
-Yuki keeps reminding me of Yaten in his expressions and looks.
-The ending reminded me of Sailor Moon because [spoiler] Tohru goes to find monster Kyo and she still wants to stay with him even though he's scary at the moment and it reminded me of the scene at the end of the Nehelenia Arc of SailorStars when Usagi reached out to Nehelenia despite all the stuff that had been done to her. [/spoiler]
-The part with Kisa biting Tohru's hand (as a tiger) reminded me of the cats biting Sakaki in Azumanga Daioh.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:05 pm

i've seen all the anime (and am totally pissed that there's no season 2) and read up to volume 7. next to sailor moon, its my favorite anime/manga. momiji and kisa just make you want to huggle them! and i love ayame, the "master of sexual desires"... LMFAO! i think i like the manga better, mainly because it goes deeper than the anime.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:26 am

Ehehe, I love Ayame so much, especially whenever he flirts with Shigure! Tokyo Pop is taking such a long time with the manga which really annoys me, because I want to know if what I heard about Akito is true, or some dumb joke.

[spoiler]He's really a woman?![/spoiler]
STAGE OUT!!!

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:32 pm

Mad Hatteress Belial wrote:Ehehe, I love Ayame so much, especially whenever he flirts with Shigure! Tokyo Pop is taking such a long time with the manga which really annoys me, because I want to know if what I heard about Akito is true, or some dumb joke.

[spoiler]Yes, in the manga, Akito is actually female, although she was raised male. So far as I've heard, at least, I've only seen the anime.[/spoiler]
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:38 am

Mad Hatteress Belial wrote:Ehehe, I love Ayame so much, especially whenever he flirts with Shigure! Tokyo Pop is taking such a long time with the manga which really annoys me, because I want to know if what I heard about Akito is true, or some dumb joke.

yeah i heared that rumor too. i was like, WTF? that is so... hmmm... interesting? a plot twist, indeed.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Mad Hatteress Belial
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Mad Hatteress Belial » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:43 am

Ah, I see! Well, then [spoiler]Funimation didn't do their research and gave Akito a very manly voice. I haven't listened to the Japanese version of it yet, though, so I don't know how girlish his voice was on that, either.[/spoiler]
STAGE OUT!!!