Anime that you gave up on..

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:31 am

I've recently given up on Yugioh. When 4Kids announced they were going to be releasing uncut Yugioh DVDs, I stopped watching the dub because I was going to start collecting the uncut version, but then they went and cancelled their DVDs, so I couldn't see the rest of it. I tried going back to the dub but it's hard to watch it without cringing all the time after you've seen the Japanese version, and the episodes they were airing at the time (the Doom saga) weren't very interesting, so I just stopped watching it. I still would love to see the rest of the anime subbed and I'm still going to continue reading the manga (since that seems to be the only way for me to see the original), but unless I can find access to the Japanese version of Yugioh, I'm not going to be watching the anime again anytime soon.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Gawthy
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Gawthy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:07 am

The one anime I ever really gave up on was Speed Racer. I loved the first couple of episodes I saw but Jesus, how many times can you make a car race interesting! It's like sitting around and watch Nascar for days on end. How do they do it?

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:13 pm

Serial Experiments Lain ^^;

I know, I know, I've been meaning to watch the rest of it at some point... but where I saw it was an anime club at a college when I was in high school that a bunch of my friends and I used to go to every week. After the first 8 episodes or so I think it broke my brain, so I couldn't stand to watch much more of it and I didn't go back and try since, but I should have and I will eventually. >P
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

isaisa
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by isaisa » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:59 pm

Wolf's Rain - It wasn't that I gave up on it...but mainly because I ALWAYS missed it...so it frusterated me and I gave up trying to follow it

.hack//sign - It was boring, and I didn't understand what was happing

Dragon Ball Z/GT - I couldn't stand it after the Cell Saga...and I was barely able to stand the Cell Saga....GT was just horrible...but I remember hearing that Akira Toriyama didn't have anything to do with the GT series...Iunno, it was a while ago when I heard that

Paranioa Agent - It's just too damn creepy

Inuyasha - I know what happens because of episode summaries, and then finding out what happens in the ending pissed me off so I gave up...I like the movies though

Witch Hunter Robin - I never grasped the plot/point of the anime
R.I.P. Jennifer Blanco 11/09/87 - 11/13/05

"I go with the flow. Whatever music you play for me, I will dance."
- Gael Garcia Bernal

I AM BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:14 pm

I watched ONE episode of Paranoia Agent, because the commercials for it looked pretty creepy...Holy it was boring!! Like, WORST EPISODE EVER, apparently. It seems to be a lot like Witch Hunter Robin, which moves WAY too slow. So, yeah, I totally gave up on that. But the opening song was really pretty.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:34 am

isaisa wrote: Dragon Ball Z/GT - I couldn't stand it after the Cell Saga...and I was barely able to stand the Cell Saga....GT was just horrible...but I remember hearing that Akira Toriyama didn't have anything to do with the GT series...Iunno, it was a while ago when I heard that
You were correct in that. Akira Toriyama didn't have very much of anything to do with the creation of DBGT. And if my theory is correct, he probably didn't intend for DB/Z/GT to go as far as it did.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:53 am

jupiter23 wrote:
isaisa wrote: Dragon Ball Z/GT - I couldn't stand it after the Cell Saga...and I was barely able to stand the Cell Saga....GT was just horrible...but I remember hearing that Akira Toriyama didn't have anything to do with the GT series...Iunno, it was a while ago when I heard that
You were correct in that. Akira Toriyama didn't have very much of anything to do with the creation of DBGT. And if my theory is correct, he probably didn't intend for DB/Z/GT to go as far as it did.
Toriyama originally wanted to conclude the entire saga after the fight with Freiza. However editors and fans and the like all begged for more and he eventually made more in response.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Luna1986
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Luna1986 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:47 pm

Ranma 1/2 (The anime not the manga). I really enjoyed the manga but I just don't like the animation. It's something about their eyes that I just can't stand.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:36 pm

MarioKnight wrote:
jupiter23 wrote:
Toriyama originally wanted to conclude the entire saga after the fight with Freiza. However editors and fans and the like all begged for more and he eventually made more in response.
I thought it was something like that. Thanks, Dan-san. See, people? That's what happens to a good anime when you demand too much of it. It just looses its credibility and becomes craptastic.

MollyNephlite_Fan
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by MollyNephlite_Fan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:59 am

Well, it looks like Chobits was a terrible anime :shock: so I'll continue just reading the manga like before!

Pokemon This was one of my favorite shows, until they went to the Orange Islands and got ride of Brock...then they just kept going on and on. To the west and the north and the south and all that crap! They kept adding more and more Pokemon and I just gave up. The first season was amazing though! I loved that show.

Digimon See Pokemon. The first season was amazing, I LOVED THAT SHOW...but then there were MORE people with Digimon...not just the orginial seven. It got old.[/b]

Kazuki
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Kazuki » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:09 pm

Magic Knight Rayearth-I bought this series recently and for me it's pretty good, until the start of the second season that is.I mean, in the first series they used to fight by themselves but in the second season they did all there fighting in robots (or should I say, Rune-Gods) which kinda put me off the series since I'm not a huge fan of the mecha genre.although I do like the character Nova (even if she is anime only).

.Hack Legend of Twilight-I loved the manga, I really did, so my
expectations were high, boy was I in for a suprise.The series is SO boring, they missed out charcters and stuff.I dunno there's something about it that I just hate.

I'll probably add more later XD

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:43 pm

MollyNephlite_Fan wrote:Well, it looks like Chobits was a terrible anime :shock:
It has its moments, but overall, the manga blows it anyway in almost every aspect.

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:16 pm

Kazuki wrote: .Hack Legend of Twilight-I loved the manga, I really did, so my
expectations were high, boy was I in for a suprise.The series is SO boring, they missed out charcters and stuff.I dunno there's something about it that I just hate.
I haven't watched the anime, mostly because I was SO disappointed by the manga. It was very...pointless? I didn't like it at all! Well, it was very pretty, but the story was just...wacky and pointless, but not in a fun, light-hearted way (like King of Bandits: Jing). Perhaps you have to be more 'in' on the whole .hack universe, tho...all I'd seen was .hack//sign (which I loved)...there were a *lot* of allusions to all the other stuff that I didn't know.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

WarriorPlutoII
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by WarriorPlutoII » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:04 pm

Outlaw Star

mainly because I always missed an ep and got lost...

Blackat
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Location: The only place where you can find Kangaroos in your backyard.

Post by Blackat » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:22 pm

For me, it'd have to be-

Scrapped Princess: I've only got one dvd of this, but I gave up after the second episode. It really dragged on in parts, and I kept waiting for them to just get it over with and wrap it up. Although it's probally one of the best visual anime's I've seen (the opening credits kick ass XD), the story was just lacking in alot of parts.

Excel Saga: Although it's one of my favourite animes, I never did get around to watching every episode. I went out and got the boxed set after buying volume 5, but I never got through it all. I guess the first couple of episodes really didn't interest me, and just wasn't as crazy as the later ones. Perhaps one day I'll watch the whole series. XD

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:03 pm

Another anime I tried watching but gave up on was Vampire Princess Miyu. I tried watching the first three episodes of the TV show and it seemed interesting at first but there didn't seem to be anything resemebling a plot other than Miyu defeating random monsters. The first episode was ok, though kind of disappointing for a first episode, and the second and third episodes were just boring as hell. Maybe I would have liked it better if I had seen the OVAs first and maybe a plot comes along later in the show, but I think Vampire Princess Miyu has some of the most boring Monster Of The Day battles I've ever seen and I just couldn't get into it, so I stopped watching it after the third episode.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

purplefeltangel
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by purplefeltangel » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:00 am

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Sorry, but I couldn't understand what all the drama was about, and Shinji is a whiny little bitch.

Trigun: Eeurgh. It was so. Boring. I just couldn't slog through more than four episodes. It wasn't funny at all.

Spirited Away: Okay, so I finished it. But I'm never watching again. It was boring and the ending made absolutely no sense. If it had come out of anyone other than Hayao Miyazaki (or even out of any country other than Japan . . . .) nobody would have watched it.

Plus, Chihiro's English dub voice was a smarmy little fat girl. Watch the extras. Ooh, I want to strangle her.

Shoujo Kakumei Utena: I think the only reason everyone loved this show is because it was all about lesbians. I just didn't get it. Why is there so much drama over a school council?

Omg, school council = serious business. Teh revolution will come. Right after I'm done angsting about my piano.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:00 pm

purplefeltangel wrote: Shoujo Kakumei Utena: I think the only reason everyone loved this show is because it was all about lesbians. I just didn't get it. Why is there so much drama over a school council?
The only implied lesbian in the series was Juri. Utena liked boys, which her short crush on Touga and her crush on Akio proved. She never really showed any love towards Anthy outside of friendship. Anthy was devoted to her prince. Wakaba wasn't really in love with Utena, more than I think she just enjoyed called Utena her "boyfriend". And Shiori, well, Shiori was just a bitch. >_>; The the movie, however, I guess you would consider Utena and Anthy lesbians.
I think it's a bit unfair to assume that the only reason someone/people would like it is do to lesbians, which, as formentioned, there really wasn't any lesbian content.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

unkhato
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by unkhato » Mon May 15, 2006 9:07 pm

Pokemon-They kept going and going like energizer bunnys and their are too many pokemon thingys. I didn't like the new series and the whole 2 against 2 was againt the original idea.

DragonMasterZero
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by DragonMasterZero » Mon May 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Pokemon
Digimon season 4
Dragonball Z (never watched GT)
Monster Rancher

They all just went on too long, and got too repetitive
Favorite Senshi: Saturn and Jupiter
If I had a Henshin phrase it would be: Dragon Master Power! Armor Up!

A shrine without girls is like Miso Soup without the Miso - Grandpa Hino
The human body can be drained of blood in 8 seconds given adequate vaccuuming systems - River - Firefly